• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Genei [Mission 1]Finding the hand that feeds

Konpeki thought about Nobutora's commens. Finding another secure location, we haven't had time to establish an alternate point of operation. So once again we will have to improvise. She thought for a moment, "Rokunohe-Hei for now exit this area without drawing attention. Once you are certain we are not being followed, We should head to the warehouse district near the starport. There will be plenty of buildings for us to look for one to use, and a good number of the facilities will be automated, so it should reduce our risk of encountering people."

"It shall be done." Aeto said as he checked the mirror, just to keep an eye out. After all, someone could have had their eyes on him. Doing his best to guess the direction of the sirens, the somewhat bruised chauffeur edged out of the drparkinglot slowly at first, then made his way casually out of the area.

"If you see any cars that look to be sniffing our tails along the way, let me know. I didn't see anyone around while I was outside, but that guard what we distracted from the side door went back to his business. Figured it was okay, but it looks like someone called the authorities."

Aeto slowed down to mix himself in with the traffic as he adjusted the somewhat tight holsters under his shirt. After a satisfied sigh of relief, he tapped Nobutora on the shoulder.

"The was payin a little too much attention to what was going on in the press conference. If he was so interested he shoulda came down with us. Notice anything...strange up there?"

Jime had to slap a hand to her forehead at Angela's comments. "SAINT really seems to have lowered its standards..." she muttered. She acknowledged the words of the avatar, her second guess after sprite, and took a step in the direction of the green arrows. "I'm sure once I've seen the layout it will not be a problem. I assume the mission has already begun? The ship seemed rather quiet."

Nobutora looked up with a quizzical expression from his examination of their rapidly changing surroundings. “Strange?” he repeated pensively. “I would not describe the work environment as such. There were merely a large number of terminals and cubicles throughout the building, or at least the areas in which we were operating. Sukimade’s terminal was odd; apparently it lit up red when I attempted to remotely ping it,” he said, nodding at Eika. Without her, he might still have been in the building futilely trying to locate the terminal by technical means. He surprised himself by not being upset at failing to detect the terminal himself, but rather by simply being pleased he had so competent a partner. “Otherwise, his remote storage device proved to be highly unusual in the excessiveness of its security. But I did not perceive anything superficially out of the ordinary.”

Less than 30 seconds after Aeto turned out of the parking lot a swarm of police cars, fire trucks, and ambulances appeared in his rear view mirror. Buildings passed by one after another several options presented themselves as Aeto drove around. There were alleys, hotels, and finally there were the access ramps to Chuou.

-------------

Yuki ignored Jime's comment, instead following behind the small group silently until they reached the wardroom. Once everyone was in two datapads could be seen laying on the table, obviously indicative of where the new operatives should sit.

"Please seat yourselves." Yuki said while moving to the head of the table. The neko stood motionless as she composed her thoughts in preparation for the mission briefing.

While Aeto drove them down to Chuou, Konpeki turned to be able to better face Nobutora. "Yamamoto-Hei, was it merely the presence of the storage device on his workstation, that was the basis of your decision? Or was their some other data that lead you to that conclusion? I found his initial response when I approached him rather atypical for someone complicit with treason."

Nobutora frowned in thought as he considered Eika’s question. “The mere physical presence of the device did not lead me to that conclusion. From the beginning of my incursion into NovaCorp’s systems, it was clear that the data we were looking for was guarded by highly advanced, exorbitant even, security programs. The computing power required to design and implement such protocols, specifically a virus that managed to take complete control of one of my laptops after only seconds of activation, are beyond what is available to the average citizen. We were already looking for an outside intelligence organization backing the terrorists, and, frankly, that sort of technical support is most certainly indicative of that hypothesis.” He shrugged, looking down from Eika’s gaze to nod at Sukimade. “The ability to maintain a deep cover is highly useful for infiltration purposes. I have no doubt that he is anything more than a sophisticated terrorist operating with the support of a government inimical to the welfare of the Empire. That makes him a traitor,” Nobutora said. His placid face faltered for a second, showing a brief glimpse of a sneer of deep, deep hatred and loathing, before reverting to icy indifference.

Konpeki smiled at Nobutora, "Thank you Yamamoto-San for enlightening me as to what occurred during your attempt at electronic intrusion. We were not briefed as to what had happened, only to obtain the device. So now we need to find a place to hold our prisoner, find a away to get the data you need to safely access the data device, and yet keep him from communicating with anyone telepathically."

"That is correct," replied Nobutora, hatred flashing in his eyes for one last moment before he looked back up at Eika. "I do not have the equipment here for a field expedient attempt to crack the device again. Once we return to the rooms, I have sufficient infrastructure in place to protect any vital systems, and there is a portable psionic signal controller. Though that may perhaps draw too much attention." His eyes defocused for a moment as he considered the problem. "Perhaps temporarily returning to the ship might be a better decision. Activating a jammer aboard the ship would likely not attract undue notice," he said with a definitive nod before turning to glance out the rear windshield. "For the moment though, we appear to have been quite fortunate to have left the premises of NovaCorp unmolested. Though I wonder why so many police have responded in addition to emergency and medical services... Were we detected or did Sukimade contact them?" He glanced back towards their driver. "Did you see anything warranting concern outside the building, Rokunohe-hei?"

"Well..." Rokunohe started, though he seemed to be keeping an eye on the cars that were around him. "I dunno. Really, I dunno. Could say it was a little too easy for me to distract a guy on guard duty. Then again, maybe that's the same reason sleepyhead back there can get away with what he wants to."

Aeto had a habit of moving his hands as he talked, which may or may not have caused the vehicle to veer slightly. He caught himself before it became a multi-lane mishap, shifting his eyes as if no one else noticed.

"That, or it's all a setup and we're in for a three-point fucktrap. That in mind...we got an escape route in case safe spot A turns out to be an ambush? Maybe I'm paranoid, but I can't say anything has gone this easily in my life."

This time Aeto took both hands of the wheel with a shrug. Control was regained, bit there was no hiding that one from the passengers.

"Just a little paranoid."

Once everyone had arrived in the wardroom and taken a seat Yuki began. "Welcome aboard the YSS Genei." the nekos began "as you are no doubt aware this is a SAINT ship so we can skip some of the beginning stuff that I'm supposed to cover." Yuki flipped through some of the mental pages she was reading until she got to the fun parts. "Okay, here's the situation as it is. Some time ago SAINT recieved information from an inside source that a terrorist group is operating in Kohana City. The informant leaked out a list of terrorists believed to be associated with the cell.

The group is gearing up to attack PANTHEON and try to hack it. According to our source they seem to have access to a considerable amount of funding and military grade hardware. Regardless, they still don't stand a chance at hacking it. The real concern for SAINT is where they are getting this funding from. Our mission is to get that information without alerting the terrorist cell. We have already deployed a team of operatives to the mission field. The Shosa however believes a two-pronged approach will make the best use of the resources available to us, so you will be acting separately for the time being from the current mission team.

You will both be deployed to Central Kohana University, there are two terrorists located there. The Shosa doesn't believe in tying peoples hands so you are free to act as you see fit within the law and mission parameters but let me give you a warning, this is a covert mission, everything you do has a consequence. Think of what those consequences are before committing to an action. The other mission team will feel the effects of your actions just as you will theirs. You have two hours to present a rough plan of action and request any tools or equipment that you will need before deployment.

------------------

From what Aeto could tell there was nobody following him though there were definitely some irritated drivers due to his driving.

Jime looked at the helpfully vague information about the suspected terrorists. "Miss Yuki, do we have any more information about the suspects? Also, is it possible for us to go undercover as a professor at this school? I feel it might provide a more appropriate opportunity to collect information from them. To cover both angles, the-," she hesitated for a moment, looking at Angela, "-Yamataian could enroll as a student in their classes." She looked over the list of suspects once again. A shipping company? If they were receiving military supplies, it would be the most obvious method of doing so. Why had they not first looked into the activities of the shipping company? Or was the other team doing that? Seeing NovaCorp on the list also made her raise an eyebrow. The massive company was quite capable of producing high grade military hardware, were they somehow connected? Were they stealing their supplies from the company, perhaps? But that made two highly suspicious groups. If they had only one other team operating, why was Jime being assigned to spy on a couple of students? She doubted they were worth going after.

Jime furrowed her brow in thought. Whatever her suspicions, she kept them to herself. She looked up at Yuki. If the Shosa was prioritizing them, then perhaps there was something more to the story.

Angela looked at the information presented to her. She looked over the list of terrorists, trying to find a connection between each of them. She noticed that the only possible connection was that someone was both stealing funds and/or equipment from NovaCorp and using Takahashi Shipping to ship the military grade hardware. When she start to think of why the store workers where involved, the only thing she got was that they were the field hands. Why are being sent to the university for two kids, unless………..they are using they’re studies to “openly” research new ways to crack PANTHEON!! In-between thoughts she jolted down items on her datapad. Then Angela got the idea why not start at the docks, unless the other team is there already. She wanted to ask, but it is better not knowing for sake of being captured and comprising the other team. She also saw a Quicky Eats upon arriving here. She saw a manger that fit the profile when she had lunch there. Finally after some thought she said, “I have three questions, what are the students majoring in, what is the mission timeframe, and why not start at the point of entry and exit to this place….the docks? But as far as possible items, we would need lockpicks, nondescript clothing, CDLD-2, SACOS, local currency, and our duty pistols for starts.” Angela wanted to know, would they have access to more equipment should they need it. Hopefully this would not escalate into a bloodbath. But with a possible NovaCorp involvement, they may have to step on some toes.

Konpeki mulled over the situation. "I am uncertain if returning to the ship is advisable. Right now all Sukimade knows is he was being taken to NovaCorp's president for questioning. If we take him aboard the Genei and he awakens he may be able to notify them that he's aboard a ship. For now we need a place to lay low and plan. We do not have the proper equipment to conduct an effective interrogation." She looked out the window at the passing scenary. Perhaps we could pull a con on Sukimade. Its entirely possible that he has never met people outside of his cell. she thought

“At the same time, if we have indeed been compromised then time is of the essence. Actionable intelligence can decay quite rapidly,” replied Nobutora, well aware that he had slipped into the role of devil’s advocate. “Still, your point is well taken. However, on the topic of speed,” he said, shifting his gaze to the driver, “how long do you estimate our remaining travel time to be, Rokunohe-hei?”

Aeto pulled the car down an access ramp to Chuou. Traffic down in Chuou was slightly different, one the whole area was brightly lit and pedestrians were everywhere, almost on the street. Unlike Ueno, Chuou was where most of the population lived or went to relax and have fun. This was evident by the entrances to what appeared to be multilevel subterranian shopping complexes, youth hostels, mom and pop style noodleshops and sushi shops, a large amount of convenience stores, and even an 'open-air' market. Of course Chuou was also probably the safest part of the Kohana asteroid as well, in addition to being in the center of the asteroid there were signs posted every block or two indicating where a nearby emergency bunker could be located.

"It should take us...now minutes and right about here seconds. Sweet. Ask whatshisunconscious if he's hungry." Aeto said as he slowed down into Chuou. Not that he planned on dragging out a completely passed out figure of technological prowess the slurp noodles and shoot shit, though he wouldn't argue if that was the game plan. If there was any place he could avoid an outright hostile confrontation.

"Not that I'd think a snack bar would be the best place to hold a data extraction. We'd need something more subtle. Like a Karaoke club. Or one of those Go Go disco places with the shaking--oh. Hey. Jewelry store."

Yuki breathed in before answering both of the Hei's questions. "We don't have much more information than what I've given you. I've contacted PANTHEON for information concerning their majors, I should have it shortly. If you intend to enroll I'll expect the information you'll need inserted into the system and a mission brief. As for entering yourself in an instructors position you'll need to know course content relative to what you'll be 'teaching' and you'll need a plan to replace the teacher for however long you intend to use the role." Yuki paused again, this time her eyes shifted up and to the left before she refocused on Angela and Jime. "Both Lawson and Sumai are first year students majoring in Undergraduate Studies. From what I can understand it is the 'undecided' major."

Konpeki watched out the window trying to find a place for the team to hold up in. She noticed the signs along the way. Seeing the many signs for bunkers, she turned towards her companions. "Yamamoto-San, Rokunohe-San, I suggest we head for one of the emergency bunks. It would be out of the way, empty, secure, and possibly shielded to allow us to conduct our interrogation. One of them should provide an ideal place to operate from."

Jime furrowed her brow in response to Yuki's information, or the lack thereof. She considered what Angela had said. "For now, all I'll need beyond the surveillance materials is cash. The rest I will get on my own, but what I could truly use is more information. Course schedules, access codes to school computers, names and residences of their teachers, as well as both students. I also need to know what liberties we'll be allowed to take with detaining civilians."

Angela considered the idea of going undercover as a student. This should be fun. She laughed inside herself. “Will we have a base of operations and who is our point of contact? Also in addition to the lockpicks, CDLD-2, SACOS, local currency, and concealable covert duty pistols we would need the typical clothing styles that the students and facility wear, encrypted laser transmitters, isolated computer pads, Type 29 communicators, and probably vehicles. I will need to review the courses of the classes to be on the same par with the students. So when do we start?”

RPG-D RPGfix
Back