Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 September 2024 is YE 46.7 in the RP.

RP (non-canon): D&D Mission 1: Getting "Acquainted"

After poking at the door experimentally a few times, Denkou shrugged and turned. "Hey, big guy. Come break this door down for me, would you? I think it's stuck, but there don't seem like there are any traps, so... Yeah."

Aurelus approached the door and looked at it, and, before rearing to break the door open, he looked at Denkou with narrowed eyes. "...ey... ye're not jus' sayin that cuz ye don' wanna get hit, d'ya!?" He was suspicious about the sudden twist; and considering she was complaining just now, it sounded like she would just lie to avoid any damage to herself.

Aurelus had been hanging out with Talarin and Denkou for a while now, but even now she was a bit of a mystery to him.

Regardless, Aurelus wouldn't be as distrustful of her as he'd have wanted to be should he base himself on his doubts. "...bah, ye'd best not be lyin'! I'll keelhaul ya if I break 'is door open 'n get a servin' a arrows on me chest!" Turning around, Aurelus walked away from the door and reached the railing. Upon reaching the railing, he turned around, and braced himself.

"Stand back!"

Then Aurelus, with a grunt, bullrushed his way to the double-door, tugging his head behind his right shoulder, which was aimed directly at the door's middle.

Talarin narrowed his eyes as he just felt something odd, like he was missing something. So he walked towards the only thing he hadnt really searched, the goblin beds. He kicked around a couple of the blankets before stooping down to start a more detailed search. Joanna popped out of her pocket and climbed out to explore the room for her own pleasure.

(PEOPLE! WE are NOT in a ROOM, K? >:C We're on a BALCONY on the THIRD FLOOR!

I post this here because I'm thinking people have not read the OOC section if they're still under the impression we're in a room. Get with the program! D:<)

As Talarin rummaged through the straw beds he managed to keep turning up random objects. On top of the somewhat large amount of currency in the piles there were several other object with some street value, such as a silver flask, and a copper silverware set. As he searched through the last bed he was about to conclude that there was nothing there when something caught his eye. As he brushed away some of the straw he saw a small golden ring embedded with a ruby!

Aurelus slammed into the door, simply bouncing off, barely leaving a mark. Denkou, however, slammed into the door a moment later, splintering the hinge and flying the door wide open. With the current amount of light it was difficult to see in the room, no sound could be heard.

Talarin grinned as he turned up all of the currency and valuables. "Well, it's not like the goblins have any more use for it." he thought to himself. Then he noticed the ruby on the ring. He almost jumped for joy, it had to be expensive. Then he stopped and considered the facts. They were in a mansion where the wizards had squatted with a powerful artifact. They had goblin bodyguards. Goblins have been known for stealing. Wouldn't maybe a goblin stolen a ring with magical properties? He shrugged to himself as he examined the ring more closely.

Aurelus bumped harshly against the door, barely making a dent in it and being forced to stumble backwards and land on his butt. "Oof!" Both of his hands resting on the floor, himself resting on his legs, he looked up to see Denkou break it in and make it into the room.

"Ugh... ye stupid door...! Me arse's gonna be sore fer a day fer this..."

Rubbing his behind, he walked into the room after standing up. The room was too dark to look into. "Bah... I guess I won' be usin this torch fer anythin better..."

Aurelus retrieved the torch from where it was strapped on the belt, then took out the flint and stone from the small pouch where he kept the stones for his sling. Holding the torch between his legs, he clicked the flint until a spark hit the torch, and began to light up. He put the flint and stone back into the pouch, and lifted the torch up to eye-level and entered the room, hoping to see into the room with the newly made light source.

After what Talarin felt to be a fairly good examination of the ring, he could find no distinguishable magical characteristics to the ring. Meanwhile, as Aurelus lit up his light source, he and Denkou could clearly see to the end of the room. On the opposite side of the room there was another double door, lavish carpeting covering the floor along the way. Off to the right side a hole was seen in the floor, a dark outline and splintered look made it appear to be blasted. Dust covered much of the room, most of the valuables appeared to have been looted already, and fungus coated the corners of the room. A tall spiral staircase could be seen in the direct center of the room, ascending to the floors above.

"Okay, I vote we take this slow. Carpet could be hiding anything, and I really don't like the look of that hole over there on the wall." She started searching the floor directly inside the door, working her way around the room as fast as she safely could. "You know, you want go ahead, you can though. It would make it a lot easier to find any traps if you go first."

Talarin looked up as Denkou said something about going ahead and finding traps for her. He laughed nervously. "That was a joke right Den?" he asked as he pocketed the ring. "Lookie what I found." he quickly changed the subject by showing off the valuables he'd collected.

Not quite turning to look back at Talarin to question his intelligence, Denkou just kept working instead of giving him a 'look'. "Ummm... Sure, a joke. Yes, we'll go with that. What'd you find though? I don't want to stop looking this way to check?"

"Bunch of coins, some valuables, and a pretty ring." he told Denkou as he stood safely, behind her as she searched, counting the coins he had just found. Joanna wandered over towards Sorri. She looked up at Sorri and somehow managed to convey, in her stance, the fact that she wanted to be picked up and held.

Aurelus grinned at Denkou's remark of going on ahead. She sure had a knack for keeping humor around when it was needed. He held up the torch high above his head, stretching his arm forward and upwards as high as it could go, to see if he could light a bit more of the room than what he had before.

When he heard Talarin talk about what he had just found, he turned to look. "Oy, Talarin, ye have all the luck sometimes... 'ere I am poor as a beggar and ye go findin' gold all over the place! I suggest ye save it fer some horses, if ye're smart. We're goin ta have ta walk all the way back ta Caloma after this."

Aurelus gave a sweep of the room after having said that, looking around to catch a glimpse of anything suspicious.

Talarin grinned at Aurelus "Don't worry, I wouldn't dream of keeping it to myself. We'll split all the money equally. Let's just concentrate on taking care of this artifact first." he turned back to finish counting the coins.

The jitters faded, but they left the tension of expecting something to happen but not knowing what the something was supposed to be. So, after no one took her up on the lantern offer and Aurelus brought out the torch, Sorri stayed silent as the others did the investigating. She was almost tempted to poke around the makeshift bedding herself, after seeing what Talarin's looting turned up.

Nevaraon said:
Joanna wandered over towards Sorri. She looked up at Sorri and somehow managed to convey, in her stance, the fact that she wanted to be picked up and held.
Sorri looked at lizard. "You're bigger than I am, I don't think I should be picking you up," she whispered with a brief shake of her head. That, and she felt like she should keep her hands free in case something else happened.

Oh yeah! Grabbing her backpack, Sorri quickly transferred some tablets and supplies from her old kit to the pouch at her waist before closing up the pack and putting it back on.

Nothing suspicious.

An audible frustrated sigh left Aurelus grimace. "This room's clear! ...or seems ta be anyway... can we hurry this up!? I'm sick'n tired a all this sneakin' around all careful-like on account of our hides! Th' moon's already ou' 'n I haven' had dinner!" Aurelus just walked into the room, torch out in front of him, and walked to the staircase. He casually started walking up it, while, with his free hand, he unsheathed the longsword.

Come what may, he was tired of all this tedious dungeon crawling. They got infected in the morning, and it was already night time. It was about damn time they got this over with!

Talarin shrugged as he stashed the coins in Joanna's pocket. He figured she wouldn't mind since she wanted to explore. He looked around for her and saw her staring at Sorri. He grinned at the thought of the poor quarterling holding the big lizard. He picked her up, gave her a kiss, and smiled at Sorri. "Sorry, she likes you for some reason. That's a good thing though. She's a great judge of character." he put her on his shutter.

Sorri looked up at Talarin and smiled. "It's okay," she said. "I don't mind reptiles, she's just a bit large for me to be holding right now."

Aurelus stopped and turned around, before reaching the ceiling-level of the room by going up through the spiral staircase. He looked at the exit of the room and out into the balcony, catching a glimpse of everyone except a wizard. "'Oy! Ya comin'?! Where's Ghira?!"

Honestly, the wizard that had once been the friend of the bastards that almost killed them was avoiding company a bit too much by now. It was starting to get suspicious.

Ghira shook his head to regain focus, having gotten lost in thought a few minutes prior and spent the time staring off into space, contemplating the magical arts.

"Oh, I'm sorry," The abjurer apologized to his companions after he made his way through the room. "I was lost in thought. Now, what are we doing?"

RPG-D RPGfix
Back