• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Miharu Mission 1 "REAR GUARD", Day 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asher tried to keep a straight face when looking towards Leutre, he had not forgotten the 'Deadman' comment before. He watched Leutre stumble in his words, and then his odd smile. Really, first impressions are hard to make up for. However, the scruffy Yamataian just scratched his head and decided to give him a chance.

"Er... Yeah, howl with the wolves, Uh... Pretty easy when the wolves show you how, yeah." Asher said, trying to relate.

One superior looks resentful and submerges herself, the other declares a change of subject- I need to learn when to keep my mouth shut. Good thing I didn't say everything on my mind about the subject...

Miyoko leaned back and relaxed for a few seconds before answering Nyton's question. "I'm way ahead of you there. I staged a daring raid on the kitchen and made myself a meal... not much of one, though. My cooking skills don't extend much beyond unwrapping things and sticking them in my mouth."

Kotori slid her head back above the water's surface. "Wouldn't Tom make a ship-wide intercom call when the meal would be ready?" She asked, moving hair from in front of her eyes with one hand.

"Tom may be rather busy himself resting. The engineering crew is exausted trying to get things fixed and you did say 'everyone' had some time off. Yukari may even be fulfilling that last suggestion you made to her on the bridge so he would be occupied in that case, Kotori-sama." Nyton said with a wink. "We're probably just going to have to fend for ourselves in the matter of food. I am sure there is something in the galley that can be easily made to satisfy."

"Mmm... alright then. I suppose I could go and prepare something for the crew. After all they've been through, the least I could do is make a warm meal for them." Kotori climbed out of the bath. As water sluiced off her skin she walked out, grabbing her basket in passing before disappearing behind the sliding door to the dressing room.

Food had become a more prominent matter in Nyton's mind now. "Not without me you aren't, my lady. If anything that hair washing at the least earned me first dibs on food." he said as he climbed up out of the tub. He wrapped a small towel around his waist and nodded to Miyoko. "Enjoy the rest of your bath Saito-san."

Nyton entered the dressing room and advanced towards his locker. A new uniform waited for him and he immediately began to change into it.

Leutre mentally sighed. Masako was right, it seemed. He still had a lot to learn about social finesse. "Yes, of course. Silly me, Suzuka. My apologies. Ahem."

Leutre glanced over at Asher, who appeared to be somewhat baffled by his comment. He seemed nice enough, bless his nearly lost soul, but he seemed a somewhat slow. Well, that was always much better than patronizing or disdainful. "Ah, well, nevermind. Better wolves in the woods than snakes in the grass, or something like that. Anyways, Mas and I were heading to go fetch ourselves a bite to eat. Whats say you lot about tagging along?"

Kotori dried herself off before using her skin stealth to turn invisible. She left the dressing room and returned to her room to go and get something to wear before attending to the meal itself.

Masako frowned slightly as she glanced at Leutre again. She didn't remember allowing him to call her by any nickname or even her first name. "Veressis-Hei....either Kurohoshi-Juni or Kurohoshi would be more polite," Masako explained calmly. She watched silently as both enlisted men tried to talk and relate to one another and could only sigh inwardly.

This is going to be tough, Masako thought as she silently headed towards the kitchen, only to walk through the door and catch sight of Tom. "Freeman-Heisho?"

Yukari, whether she had meant to or not, had managed to drift into a light sleep on the couch. She managed a small gesture of understanding for Leutre, in the form of her hands making a small prayer gesture, then they were pillowing her head.

Asher nodded, and, grabbing his tray, stood up with Luetre and Masako.

"I just had some snacks to hold me over, but I'm ready for a real meal." Asher scratched that itch on his head again.

"Yeah, I'm in here," Tom yelled from one of the freezers. "I'm making some okonomiyaki for breakfast!"

He came out with the necessary ingredients and, laying a large flat metal pan on the stove, he began working on the task.

"There should be some stuff already set up out there for the crew. Let that take care of your immediate hunger pangs."

Tom was being rather curt, but the time crunch sort of required it.

Leutre picked up a tray of his own and glanced at Asher. "Meh, I don't see why you people out here have to precise with words and names. Back home actions spoke louder than words, but here its seem to be the complete opposite!"

He shook his head and sigh. To him it seemed a slip of the tongue attracted much more priority than diligent work. The concept of having one's heart in the right place, even if one's mouth wasn't, seemed foreign to them. 'Of course, maybe it is a bit my fault. I never did consider the fact that threats to someone's well-being or loved ones might actually be taken literally here. Friendly quarrels between family are much different than with foreigners, I suppose. And speaking of foreigners...' He looked to Asher once again.

"By the way, you have a preference in naming I should know about? Or do you mind me calling you Deadman? How about Sadalsuud?" He asked. Better to be safe than reprimanded again, after all.

Asher gave Leutre a fairly quizical look, he was beginning to wonder why this guy couldn't just ask for his name simply.

"Tell me, is there any reason you seem to prefer giving me these nicknames, Deadman, and er... That other name?." Asher seemed a bit lost to this guy.

So. I got a nice face-to-face encounter with impending doom at least twice today, by a modest count... and this was in the first 24 hours. I suppose that they were somewhat unique circumstances- after all, being trapped in ambushes that have nothing to do with us isn't quite part of our mission outline- but I still don't like what this hints at for the future.

Miyoko rose out of the water, stretched, and strolled into the changing room to dry off. But, it could be worse, I guess. The Taii seems competent enough, if confusing... and I just might get to do a bit of research, even if I still end up being relegated to patching up boo-boos most of the time. Hell, if they're all so grateful as Veressis, maybe I can get something out of it.

Or maybe I'll abruptly die in my sleep due to the ship being hit by a Mishhu torpedo, having absolutely no chance to personally influence my fate in the least; another mass-produced soldier dead with no memorial save a brief mention of my name in a few military records.

Shut up, me. I'm trying to be optimistic, here.
She pulled her uniform out of a locker and slid into it. Besides, that could happen to me anywhere in the military. It may as well be here, where the people seem... less annoying than they could be.

And on that note, I might as well see what the others are up to. It's better than standing here all day and navel-gazing about all the ways I could die.
Stroking her hair back behind her ears with a hand- it was too short to necessitate combing, but it had an annoying habit of engulfing the top of her head when wet- she exited the dressing room and crossed the wardroom, taking up position just near enough to the diners to insinuate herself into conversation if the need arose.

"Why?" Leutre looked at Asher as if he had just asked him a very stupid question. "It's practical, that's why! Easier to remember, quicker to repeat. For the sake of argument, let's say I'm shooting at you. Would you rather say, 'Leu, stop!' and send the message immediately, or take the time to say 'Veressis-Hei, would you--' Blam! Too late. You're dead because you took to long to tell me to stop. You don't want to die do you? Of course not! My logic is undeniable. Q.E.D., Deadman."

Leutre paused as he waited for Asher to absorb what he had just said. It never ceased to amuse him, keeping people off balance and confused. As he silently laughed to himself, he finally noticed Miyoko standing nearby.

Oh, its Miyoko. Oh... Oh dear. He quickly sobered when he came to the realization she might be upset at him. If Nekovalkyrja didn't even like acquaintances using their first names, how much more did they hate physical contact? And if Masako could mistake the word 'Deadman' as the complete opposite of what I intended, who could tell how Miyoko may have taken my words of thanks? I really hope she isn't cross at me. Or nevermind being cross, I hope she won't outright kill me in my sleep! Leutre cringed at the thought. These Nekovalkyrja were certainly fearsome creatures from what he had seen.

And how would Lady Luck perceive me if I had deeply offended someone compassionate enough to help me? How would Da? He mentally sighed. It was wasteful to dwell on the past, since one could only move forward. He put on a smile and waved Miyoko over.

Asher nodded to Leutre's statement, it bugged him a little bit though. Leutre seemed a little loose with words to Asher, which was what truly bothered him. Back home, people talked seriously and slangless to higher ranks, relatives, or strangers. Words are loose among loved ones and friends. Asher began to think that if Leutre was already speaking so loosely, Leutre considered him a friend.

"Alright then, I'm good with Deadman, now you said your name was Lou, right?" Asher scratched his goatee.

He turned in Miyoko's direction and gave her a nod.

"Hrm, I'd think we'd need a bit more food for that." Asher grinned wondering when they were actually going to grab something to eat.

"Very good to see you Miyo. You seem rather nice this morning!" Leutre gave her an almost too friendly smile as he secretly tried to judge her demeanor. She wasn't reprimanding him like Masako, nor threatening him like Claymere or the Taii. In fact, she didn't seem very cross at all. Leutre silently gave thanks Lady Luck for his good fortune.

"Two people don't make much of a party, I'm afraid, but I'm sure Mas and Freeman are having a grand old time in the kitchen," Leutre winked at both of them and laughed. "They certainly are taking their time in there, whatever they're doing. If you're really hungry, Deadman, you could always go in and interrupt them. Though I'd recommend bracing yourself for flying knives and blunt objects if you were to try it."

Miyoko raised an eyebrow at the greeting, smirking. "In comparison to the other half-day or so that we've known each other?" In anybody else, she would have taken it as a possible sign that the recent head injury was causing some memory problems, but she'd come to expect weird behavior from the blonde Nepleslian. "Oh, and I've asked Suzuka-chui to let me shanghai one of the engineers to help me analyze some wreckage we picked up in the battle, and it seemed like..." She trailed off, trying to think of a polite way to phrase 'you're familiar with working with broken junk.'

"... seemed like you might have some experience with salvaged parts," she finally decided on, recalling his safety lecture on exploring wreckage. "Interested? I can ask for one of the others if you don't think you're up to it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back