• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Miharu Mission 1 "REAR GUARD", Day 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asher nodded, he figured he may be able to help in the kitchen, maybe learn which way a frying pan goes on a stove.

"Right, maybe they could prolly use some extra hands." Asher said with a thumb on his chin. The wide Yamataian strolled towards the kitchen, keeping the 'flying knives and blunt objects' in mind. He made it to the door, and leaned in, just to check.

"Hey, need a hand in here...?" He asked.

Leutre's eyes seemed to sparkle a moment when he heard her request. "Interested? Does Lady Luck love me so? Does a magnetohydrodynamic generator use an array of coaxial buckytubes? Does a hazard survey module use neutrino-imaging technology? Does--" He finally stopped himself when he realized he was rambling on, but found it hard to contain his enthusiasm.

Not since he was a child learning basic starship engineering had he been faced with a challenge; A truly difficult, really time-consuming challenge. Mishhu technology certainly sounded like it would be one. Even if it would turn out to be impossible for him, it would still keep him entertained for hours, days, or even weeks. That was why he had become an engineer, after all. It was important to do what you loved. And it might be a fair opportunity to pay back Miyoko for her help... Though on second thought, not really. Doing his job couldn't really be considered paying back his debt to her, but his code of honor dictated that he couldn't refuse a request this small.

"Erm, sorry. I mean yes!" Leutre turned his attention away from his thoughts and back to Miyoko. "Aye, sure, I'll help. I'm not much familiar with Mishhu technology I'm afraid, but I've always found the path to enlightenment to be merely a function of determination, luck, and time. You supply the first, the Lady and I will supply the second, and we'll crack it eventually. Lady Luck willing, of course."

"No, I'm fine," Tom replied to the inquiry from the newcomer. "Nice to meet you by the way. I'm Tom Freeman, engineer and caretaker for this ship."

He flipped the thick okonomiyaki patty onto its other end so that it could cook.

"This should take about five or so minutes to finish. Please sit down and make yourself comfortable. There should be some appetizers available for munching. OH! But you could go get some beverages out of the refrigerator and pour them for yourself and any others who arrive."

"Er... Yeah, I'll get some beverages then." Asher said, walking over to the fridge and looking at the large array of drinks and frozen sorts. "I'm Asher Orkin Westwood, or Deadman, as that Leutre fellow seems to say."

"Uh, Mr. Freeman, sir, would you know what most of the people on this ship prefer to drink?" He turned his head around to face Tom.

This man, Miyoko decided, uses words like they're going out of style. Still, his enthusiasm was a good thing. She could sympathize with it, given that she'd just had a similar (if less loquacious) reaction to analyzing the Mystery Goo. Besides, it would be easier to work with him if he actually wanted to do it... the memory of Nyton's speech in the bath on how undisciplined he was made that obvious, if nothing else.

She flashed a brief smile at his outburst. "Good to hear it. Assuming that we don't end up being ambushed by the entire Mishhu military, kidnapped by black ops agents from 600 years in the future, and sucked into a black hole by tomorrow morning- and at this rate, I give that about a fifty percent chance of happening- I'll call you when I'm ready to get to work tomorrow. I might actually get a start on it tonight, if we get out of this poor excuse for a solar system before then."

"Uh, sure," Tom said. "Just grab some juices and a pitcher of water and we should be all set."

He mashed one of the patties down to flatten it. It hissed as the water inside of it evaporated.

"Deadman is quite a depressing name to go by. Do you need a hug or something?"

Tom grinned.

Masako blinked as the newcomer came into the kitchen and went towards the refridgerator to gather drinks for the rest of the crew. Only to frown when she heard what was said. "Mou...that Veressis-Hei." she said as she crossed her arms. "I thought I told him to think before he spoke like that," she fumed slightly.

Sighing lightly in frustration, Masako walked over towards Asher and began to take some of the drinks from the fridge. "I'll help you with the drinks, Westwood-Hei."

Asher replied Toms grin with his own over the fridge door.

"Heh, I guess there is a point to it, I wasn't long from death on the Shikaku. Didn't like it at first, but I guess it's a little less sillier than my old nickname, 'Porcupine'." He was refering to what he was called back home, his friends gave him the name when he started styling his hair with a spikey ruffle, and his spike goatee.

"Anyway, it gives me a good way to start of the story how I escaped the Shikaku." Asher grinned, turning his head to Masako's direction as she came over to help.

"Thanks, I appreciate it." He said to her as he grabbed some of the juices out of the fridge and placed them on the table.

"Fair enough. But I really think you're underestimating the tenacity of Lady Luck. Someone as clumsy as I doesn't survive simply on stunning good looks and intellect alone!" Leutre chuckled quietly to himself. "Oh! Of course having one such as yourself around helps as well."

He fell silent for a moment and gave her a serious look, "But down to brass tacks, I owe you a favor. Its somewhat of, how would you say... A golden rule where I come from. Slit the throats of swindlers, shell out service to saviors, as it were. You don't have to cash in if you don't feel so inclined, but its only fair the offer is on the table should you ever need a hand with anything." He paused. "I know it may seem silly to you, but know its not in the slightest to me. This galaxy would be a much darker place than it already is if we wandering souls did not help others."

Taking a pitcher and filled it with water before placing it on the table, the short warrant officer smiled at the enlisted man. "Your welcome, Westwood-Hei," she replied. "And I apologize if Veressis-Hei seems rude towards you. It seems he's having a bit of culture shock around us all," the neko explained.

"He even explained to me that he considers this 'Deadman' nickname a sign of honor towards you...though I still don't understand why."

Asher scratched his head, and poured some of the juices into the pitchers, then putting some ice

"A sign of honor? Well, that is quite different from what I thought it was. When I thought about it, I figured it was just some poetic term, since he was using phrases like 'Maw of Death' and personifying 'Lady Luck'." Asher tried to remember the details of their first meeting.

"Some day, I really am going to back you into a corner and extort a full description of this 'back home' that you keep mentioning." From Leutre's stories of racing junked shuttles to his passing remarks about plasma burns and sewing his bodyparts back on, Miyoko was convinced that the man had to be a walking encyclopedia of a way of life that she'd only heard of.

"But, while I have your attention, there's something else that I wanted to bring up... You said that you joined the army primarily so you could have soul backups to make your life a bit safer. Have you considered upgrading to a Yamataian body? They're going to force you to do so at the end of the year anyway, and its hemosynthetic healing would make you less vulnerable to..." she flicked a finger toward the wound on his scalp, "things like that. With as much combat as we're likely to see in the next few weeks, having a more resilient body could be a very good thing."

"Eh, home is home. Drinks, laughter, friends, and the occasional rousing pirate raid. Other than that there's not much to see." Leutre shrugged casually. "I joined the Yamatai more out of boredom than fear of death. Other than the occasional rousing pirate raid, there isn't much to do out there but drink and talk. There's little room to broaden one's horizons, so to speak."

"But on the topic of my body..." He trailed off as he stretched out his left arm and looked at his hand. "I'm not sure, really. Despite all its quirks and faults I'm still alive and howling, which means it really hasn't ever failed me. On the other hand, hemosynthesis might be a good thing to have should I get any more limbs caught in machinery. It might get rid of my occasional phantom pains too..." Leutre wriggled his fingers for a moment then lowered his arm. He wasn't certain if he was just imagining it or if there was some kind of nerve damage, but a new body might just help. But what would Da think? What would he do in this situation?

"I'll let Lady Luck decide for me!" He suddenly cried. "Erm, I mean a bet. If I'm wounded before they come for me, I'll change. If not, I'll quit the Star Army. Hey, before you even think of calling it a stupid idea, hear me out!" Leutre had to admit that it certainly sounded crazy. But if he had made it this far by relying on luck, who was to say the Lady wasn't watching out for him? "Listen, I may get a few bumps on occasion but I'm still here. My luck has kept me alive despite my brushes with death. Lady Luck hasn't failed me once, so I have no reason to believe she's not looking out in my best interests."

Scene: YSS Miharu Wardroom
"Technically, you've already been wounded before the deadline," Miyoko pointed out with a slight grin. "And both your Lady and myself might find it a bit easier to keep you alive if you had a body that could withstand a few more knocks. But, I'll take that bet and raise you one more- if you get wounded and end up needing to switch within the first three months, I get to choose your new body's appearance. It's only fair that if you make my job harder, I should something out of it." She crossed her arms in mock indignation.

"Well... Okay. Fair enough." Leutre shrugged casually."If Lady Luck decides its time for a change in appearance, so be it. But..." He raised a finger in warning, "By the Beard of Bacchus, you'd better not try to pull anything funny with my new body or I'll strangle you in your sleep. Or better yet, throw you out an airlock."

"Then it's settled... though it might be a bit wasteful to strangle me and throw me out an airlock." She paused, shaking her head at the threat. "Back to your home, though... it may be boring to you, but if half of what you've said is true, you've seen more action in a week than I have in my entire life. ... even if my life has been short enough to easily measure it in weeks."

Leutre leaned forward and studied her face. She was speaking as if she was a lost soul, but Nekos were born and bred to fit in the military. Weren't they? But Miyoko certainly didn't sound that way. She was an intriguing enigma, to say the least. "Well... I've found the secret of reaping the greatest fruits and enjoyment from life is to live chaotically. Sometimes you just have say, 'Sod it all!,' throw logic to the wind, and let Lady Luck blow you where she may. The wind shall blow and you shall learn to bend. The galaxy shall open and you shall drink your fill."

"Well enough. I find a bit too much strict adherence to the law in a lot of people in the military... but at the same time, throwing away *all* cares in a place like this tends to antagonize others. I think a balance between the two is best." Miyoko trailed off, looking a bit embarassed at the admission. "Besides, I don't particularly want a lot of action... it's just interesting to hear about. I'm content with not being shot at, really."

Leutre gave her a quizzical look. "Even if you say that... A free spirit is not something that can be chained. You will either need to crush it beneath necessity of life, or let it loose to wreak havoc upon the world. Maybe not just yet, but I think some day you will realize this." He gazed off into the distance a moment, and then began chuckling to himself. "Of course, I've quite a touch of madness so you shouldn't always listen to what I say. But at least think about it."

"Er... I suppose I will. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go change into a fresh uniform before lunch is finished or we have to go back on duty." She patted him on the shoulder with a grin as she passed. "Remember, tomorrow we play with junk and make sure your head is still working."

Leutre glanced over his shoulder a moment and mused to himself. "Behind every adult there's a hidden child that wants to play..." He trailed off as his thoughts turned elsewhere. His gaze wandered over to the kitchen doorway as he caught a whiff of a haunting aroma. Something certainly smelled good.

"I guess you could say he's quite the poetic individual," Masako agreed with Asher. "Anyway, how do you like the Miharu so far?" the short neko asked before scratching the tip of her ear. "I know you haven't seen the entire ship as of yet and I was hoping to get you at least familiar with the ship if we are to enter a combat situation again," the warrant officer commented.

"But I don't know how much time we have until lunch and the majority of the crew hasn't eaten since the night before."

Asher looked down at the Neko, and thought for a moment...

"Truthfully, I'm loving it, this place is what I like to call 'Streamlined'. The Miharu is double of what the Shikaku was, the crew is even more welcoming to new members too. In all the time I was with my father, and ship mechanics, I have never seen such a ship." The Santo-Hei smiled to himself as he started to wonder where he was to put the pitchers.

ON: YSS Miharu, wardroom

Scents. A couple of them, wafting around Yukari's nose. Though she was no longer stricken with hunger after short amounts of strenuous activity, she still responded the same way. Food. She slowly rose from the couch. The smells could not be placed into her primary memory; she was still waking up. But ... it smelled good. Excusing herself, she investigated the kitchen.

However, what she found was Tom busy with a new crewmember. She did not wish to intrude; Westwood-Hei was making a friend and becoming a part of the crew. But the food ... she was awake now, but she kept uglier thoughts at bay.

Something needed to be done ... that's right, she thought. Her position as executive officer, and the safety of the crew. She had wanted to speak to Kotori. She reached out gently to the Taii with her mind.

"Yes, Yukari?" Kotori replied not long after.

"Are you occupied, Kotori-san? I would like to speak with you, while we have some time ..." She was not sure how much time was left in their hour.

There was a pause and then: "Well, I am still undressed. My yukata's in the laundry now. If you don't mind that, yes, you can come by."

Yukari nodded to the air in front of her. "Where are you?" she asked, already floating down the main corridor.

"My room, of course." The Taii's mental voice betrayed amusement. "I wouldn't be parading myself naked across the ship."

Yukari frowned; she had not meant to imply that. She had not even seen Kotori pass by the wardroom. "Of course," she replied straightly, turning around and gently floating to the Taii's door. She then asked the ship to ring Kotori inside.

The doors hissed open not long after. "Come in!" Kotori called, though she wasn't in sight.

"Thank you." Yukari stepped inside the room quietly, the door hissing shut behind her. " ... " She did not sit, waiting to see Kotori instead.

Kotori's room looked as it had been the last time Yukari had come back. No luggage was in sight - Kotori had probably stowed it all neatly by this time - and the lacquered sheaths of her two swords hung on an hanger on one wall of the room. An hairbrush and a long, fine-toothed comb rested on one corner of the bed, which was still undone.

Yukari heard sounds coming from the suite's walk-in closet. Kotori peeked out. "I'm starting to regret not buying myself some extra kimonos or yukatas. I have a couple of uniforms and some fancy dresses... but barely anything else for casual wear."

Though, according to Hanako, wearing anything casual was a crime.

Yukari smiled a little. She could relate. The closet still made her a little jealous. "It is only a one-hour break, Kotori-san ... you will need casual wear later."

"Hai hai hai," Kotori's head retreated from view and there was the metal sound of a clothes hanger being unhooked before Kotori came out, holding the usual bodysuit uniform in front of her. "I hope this, then, will meet your high standards," the black-haired neko said, grinning.

Yukari's smile widened some. "It does," she said. "You appear as you are, a commander."

"I wonder if looking like a commander really helps," Kotori sighed and she threw the uniform to rest on the bed - she herself only had her underwear on. "Me looking like an intimidating figure of authority doesn't seem to help the crew much. I knew that already since that was why I appointed you to be the exec; I knew you were more approachable... Still, it's not very pleasant to have people like Leutre look at me as if I was a walking timebomb."

Yukari managed not to gulp. Her face was not entirely straight, however. "Approachability does not make an executive officer, just as intimidation does not make a commanding officer. Respect is necessary for both positions."

"Respect, especially respect of the self, is pretty hard for someone whom was shoved into the command seat with only one month of active duty to her belt and no officer training." Kotori smiled mirthlessly and turned to sit on the edge of her bed. "It makes more than a few times that I wonder why Nyton isn't this ship's commanding officer. Even though still young by Nepleslian standards, he has a lot more experience than me, he's mature and he's also very shrewd."

The conversation was going in a direction Yukari had hoped for but not planned on. Still, Kotori doubting herself was not good. "He does not have command of this vessel," Yukari said slowly. "You do. And that is how it should be. Nyton could not command this vessel as well as you, and he does not have a plan for it. You do." She paused, taking a gentle seat next to her on the bed. "However, he would make a good executive officer."

"I don't think the events surrounding Taiie's destruction are a good basis to evaluating yourself." Kotori replied back. "Those were pretty extreme circumstances. Even I didn't amount to anything else than ordering our escape."

Yukari blinked. She had not mentioned replacing herself ... yet. She felt trapped. "My performance was what it was," she said, pacing her words. "However, Claymere-Juni has done more before and since then."

"What are you leading at Yukari?" Kotori asked.

"Claymere-Juni seems restricted in his position," Yukari responded calmly. The issue had to be framed right. "A promotion might serve the crew much better."

"Claymere-Juni just got to his position and he's still getting used to it," Kotori replied. "Although he hasn't disappointed me so far, I don't think it would be constructive to promote him - would it not be like applying even more pressure and responsability on his shoulders even as he got his new job?"

It is pressure he would relish in, Yukari thought inwardly. She should have known Kotori would be stubborn. "We are already under great pressure," she said. "Claymere-Juni thrives in it, and he is of the background for more than a tactical officer. With Yukisato-san incapacitated, you do not have a strategist."

Kotori grabbed her uniform and began donning it piecemeal. "I do have an executive officer already."

"You do not need an executive officer who is also a pilot and a communications officer," Yukari replied, seeing Kotori was not going to give without being direct. "You need an executive officer that will help you complete missions."

"I was of the opinion the executive officer was the one who would help the commanding officer micromanage the ship - take, for instance, issues with the crew." Kotori frowned as she started fishing around for her rank pin, which was still on the skirt uniform she had worn the day before. "You stand as the most personable person in my senior staff... do you think that posting is inappropriate for you?"

"We do not have a large crew, Kotori. Micromanagment is not what we require now. We require survival." Yukari did not want to be so bold ... but she was determined not to let the conversation turn into a chance for Kotori to "bolster her spirits." This was about the crew. "Claymere-Juni is not only trained in tactics and survival, he is a professional soldier."

Kotori turned and bent over the opposite edge of the bed to retrieve her boots. "Well, if I make Nyton the executive officer, then, what does that make you? The bridge bunny?"

Yukari kept her cool, though she did utterly despise that term. "My duties have been mostly piloting and being a communication officer. Though I was trained as an intelligence officer, it is not what the Star Army has needed from me. I am happy to do what is needed."
Kotori returned back to her former seating position and started slipping on the boots. "Then what would you like to do?"

She must make me say it. Yukari drew a small breath, looking at Kotori directly. "Claymere-Juni be made executive officer. An administrative demotion for me is fine -- I was a Seito not two months ago."

"And I was a Santô Hei one month ago." Kotori waved the matter aside. "You haven't answered my question. I had you take the pilot's seat because I felt you'd be the best of us all at the position. I ut you in charge of communication because you handle that very well back on the Sakura. I made you the executive officer because I knew a Taisho made you a flag officer before, so, I thought it could be in your ropes... though perhaps on a much smaller scale. There's also that you are the eldest nekovalkyrja aboard and that you kind of look out for others anyways. I really thought it'd just come naturally."

"But," Kotori frowned. "I had yet to ask you what you wanted to be on the Miharu. I'm asking now. Don't talk about Claymere-Juni - what I want to hear is about you, not him."

Yukari did not want to hear about her. She wanted to talk about the crew -- she thought that was enough. "The crew is what matters. I did not understand then, and I do not understand now, why I was installed as Flag Aide. I was in that position for one week, which is not enough to gauge my progress. And we do not need the skills it requires. We need someone to help you strategize our next moves."

Kotori ground her teeth against each other as she tried to stiffle her growing irritation. She did not need to get angry at Yukari. Both of them were being obstinate and this was turning into a vicious circle. "Fine, I'll consider it. You'll have my decision once we get back to a friendly dock." She opened her eyes and looked back at the brown-haired woman sitting next to her."Is this acceptable?"

Yukari nodded immediately. Kotori's frustration was apparent; her confidence in her actions was dashed. "Yes."

"You will remain as the ship's navigator and communication officer?" Kotori asked.

"Yes," Yukari replied quickly.

"Thank you," Kotori suppressed a sigh and unzipped her panel so she could attach her rank pin. She froze just as she was about to do just that and turned to look back at Yukari. "Could you go to my desk there? The interface there should allow you to access ship communications. I'd like you to get me the commander of the Sheridan again."

"Ah -- yes," Yukari said, going to the desk. She was quickly able to establish the proper communication link with the Sheridan, as a holowindow appeared before Kotori with the grim-faced commander of the Sheridan inside the window. She did not speak. "She does not see us, Taii-san, but she will hear you."

Kotori nodded as she zipped her panel back to a close and activated the visual feed on her side so the Sheridan's CO could at least see who she would be speaking to. "Tsutomu Chinatsu-Taisa, how many M1 Lamias can the Kinkou group spare from damage control?"

" ... " The Taisa frowned. "I can spare some squadrons. You have something in mind, Taii?"

Kotori sighed, exasperated. The other had dug enough to know her rank - and she didn't care to know how; they had more constructive things to talk about. "That probe network we have is currently our greatest asset and our greatest liability. It must be guarded and my ship doesn't have enough spacy power armors to do the job."

"I am well aware of the protection those probes require," the Taisa responded icily. "Had you attempted to ping that network and have it provide passive sensor sweeps, you would see we already dispersed two wings to cover the network. I fear they will not be enough, but I am sending more as repairs are completed." She smirked. "I had expected more from the commander of such a unique prototype vessel."

"Well, maybe I just wanted an excuse to talk to you. After all, you're so likeable!" Kotori said with mock sweetness, smiling, before she sobered up and added: "Seriously, though, please instruct them to be especially vigilant in monitoring anything in the visual spectrum - most especially other unidentified KFY-made vessels. It'd probably be either a Yui 5, a Nozomi or a Sakura-class."

" ... " The Taisa only nodded. "I share the 5th's hate of SAINT, Taii. Do not live up to their name." The window died abruptly.

Kotori groaned as she limply fell back over her undone bedding. "She's so difficult..."

Yukari had to smile a little. "She is the embodiment of the 5th Expeditionary ... or what is left of it." She got up from the desk. "She does listen to you."

"Well, she could embody it more pleasantly." Kotori struggled back to a sitting position. "After all, we're here to help save their collective behinds."

Yukari nodded, sitting down next to Kotori. "They appreciate it, I am sure."

Kotori started fussing at a lock of black hair that had sneaked over her shoulder. "Watching for the Black Spiral vessel was the urgent part. With the Lamia keeping an eye out, that means we can keep our Mindy power armors for boarding purposes." Kotori turned to look at Yukari. "Do we have anyone with a Kessaku certification on board?"

"No, we do not," Yukari said, reviewing the files in her mind.

"Once you are back on the bridge, could you check for anyone whom could qualify amongst the Star Army ships assembled? We really could use someone having some knowhow with the IES units and demolition, if needs be." Kotori paused. "If we board a Black Spiral vessel, we are going to have to subdue it quickly - I don't want to have it self-destruct before we can seize control of it."

Yukari nodded. "I will do so. It should be easy."

Kotori's fingers idle fussing over the hair became a more insistent twisting and twirling. "We're also going to have to find a way to get this person to be assigned here. That means yet someone else I'm going to involve in this - someone else I'm not going to be able to let go." She sounded bitter.

Yukari put a cool, gentle hand on Kotori's shoulder. "As our crew grows, so do our chances of survival. It is a good thing."

Kotori nodded back. She gave the lock of hair one last tug and flicked it back behind her shoulder. "I almost sent Mizuho to die in that crawlway. That bothers me a great deal," She confided.

"Yukisato-san was capable of leaving the crawlway, had she wanted to. You cannot shoulder all responsibility, Kotori." Yukari smiled some, squeezing the younger Neko's shoulder.

"I was actually the one whom had first wanted to go. She told me it was better for a commanding officer to not put herself at risk," The black-haired nekovalkyrja bent her head slightly. "So, I told her she could go... but in light of what happened, it really had felt as if I had ordered her to die for me."

"She is NH-17," Yukari said quietly, voice slightly distant. "Her purpose was to fight and die killing Mishhuvurthyar. I do not believe she shares your mental anguish ... it seems unlike her."

"She certainly has mental anguish. Just not the same kind." Kotori fisted her hands. "And the thing is I know I'm actually reacting badly to being in a position much like I wanted Hanako to be back on the Sakura. I wanted her to stay seated safely in her command chair and order us to go and do our jobs. But she always seemed squeamish about letting us risk our lives for what we had trained to do." Kotori looked back to Yukari. "I'm not sure if I should just decide I'm an hypocrite or just label the whole thing as ironic."

Yukari could not help but smile a little. "It is learning," she said. "It is healthy."

Kotori sighed and stood up. "Let's just hope I keep learning fast enough to keep us from getting all killed." She turned around. "Did you manage to get some free time with Tom before he got to cooking?"

Yukari couldn't stop her blush in time. "Ah ... hai," she said sheepishly. She did not look at Kotori directly. Her body reacted as her mind flashed through memories of what Tom and she had done.

Kotori studied Yukari for a moment before she looked away. "There's a windsurfing program I added to what is available in the virtual reality chambers. It won't be as great as really doing it in the Ash Bay, but I thought you might still want to try that out with him."

" ... Eh?" Yukari blinked. Windsurfing was something she had only seen once, during that first trip to Ash Bay so long ago ... it seemed like more than just three years. "That ... is a very good idea," she said slowly. Dancing had been so much fun, but doing something with Tom that did not require them to touch would be healthy. And exciting! Yukari's thin lips formed a little grin.

"Despite me having to tell the crew to work beyond what the ordinary shift would be, I'm still going to leave them with sporadic 1 hour breaks before tonight. Maybe you could schedule something with Tom for tonight?" Kotori proposed.

"Ah ... yes," Yukari said skittishly. Kotori telling her what she could do ... with Tom. She felt a little uncomfortable about it, but the desire to just be near Tom was hard to resist. "What will you do?"

"Oh nothing big," Kotori made a vague offhand gesture. "Decapitating people at random, watering the plants on the observation deck, dusting off the weapon lockers, building an Uriko bomber and maybe catching up with either my officer studies."

" ... " Yukari wanted to laugh. But Kotori was rarely funny that way. She managed a kind of stiffled giggle, almost a choking sound.

"I think I'll have the sprites handle the Uriko through the night since other repairs should be in priority," Kotori seemed to think aloud. "I'll be tweaking over the configurations of one of the Mindy II armors instead since it's probably technically all I'm good for." Kotori looked at Yukari from the corner of her eye, as if daring her to laugh.

Yukari's cheeks puffed some with trapped giggles. She took a breath and let it out normally. "Do we have room for an Uriko? And a pilot?"

Kotori turned over to face her. "Well, one of the new guys is also a navigator and the second bay remains unoccupied. I'm not going to have him sit over your knees."

Yukari frowned. "I would hope not ... but what about the ordonance for it? We would sacrifice our own torpedoes."

"It's only one torpedo and a couple of missiles, if I recall, and they aren't compatible with the Miharu's weapon systems. We can all produce that fairly easily once the craft itself is done." Kotori answered. "It's really nothing worse than supplying your own fighter with ordonance."

Yukari blinked. She had not considered arming Hrist; she'd not been able to think about her personal craft. "Is that ... a good idea?"

The black-haired neko nodded back. "If we want to survive, we'll have to squeeze every little advantage out of her," Kotori tapped lightly against the wall next to the head of her bed. "We can carry two fighters, two shuttles and some power armors - they might make a difference."

Yukari looked down -- she had never thought of it. "That would mean ... I would fly her?"

"If you don't want to fly her, I'd ask you to arrange a storage space for it elsewhere so we could build an Uriko in her stead." The other returned. "But personally, I'd think it'd be a waste to not give Hrist a purpose and only leave her to molder in some hangar."

" ... " Yukari smiled a little. The thought actually seemed appealing. No more power armor. No more -- power armor! "You are right!" she said, suddenly excited.

Kotori leaned back against the wall. "What does Hrist do anyways? I'm not really familiar with fightercrafts."

Yukari smiled a little. "Hrist is a transport, converted from a Hoplite fighter. Really, she flies faster than most shuttles and fighters, and she has heavy shields."

"Transport?" Kotori's brow furrowed. "You mean it's not actually a starfighter?"

Yukari nodded. "She has plasma cannons. That is all. She can still go into soldier mode."

The other neko tilted her head. "By now I sort of had the impression you hated armored robots, even if you were kinda good at operating them."

"I do not use the soldier mode ... and it is not robots I hate. I do not like power armor." Yukari frowned, pushing her ponytail behind her. "The soldier mode is fine."

"But if you don't use it, why have it at all?" The Taii questioned. "Doesn't the components for transformation occupy space that could be otherwise better used?"

"I could use it, I do not know," Yukari said defensively. "I do not have a weapon for the soldier mode, but it could be helpful. I have not had the vessel for very long."

"Well then, once were back in friendly territory, maybe you could practice using it." Kotori smiled and looked slyly back to Yukari. "Either that or wavesurfing."

Yukari managed a small smile. "A giant sniper rifle for a giant robot? That could be worth while."

Kotori made a somewhat exagerated sigh. "Well, I don't think they make Heavy Armor Service Rifles yet, so, you're out of luck."

"Uso," Yukari said, giggling a little. "Then what will I do?"

Kotori looked out the window, which had a view of the front of the Miharu's wing engine module and the mass of asteroids beyond. "We could go to Ether and grab a few of the NDI's mobile frame plasma rifles."

Yukari shook her head. "The NDI's weapons will probably not work well ... but an aether weapon? For the size Hrist is, it would be a very large weapon."

Kotori shrugged. "I don't know. Fact is, you should probably ask the people whom built Hrist in the first place. They'd be the one whom could make a weapon for her - I actually think it's a bit silly they made a transformable fighter with a soldier mode without a handheld weapon."

Xenedine Corporation? "Hrist was designed as a prototype; it was not meant to have weapons, I believe ... " Yukari shrugged. "But I can ask."

"You do that." Kotori smiled as she walked to Yukari and grabbed one of the brown-haired neko's hand to coax her up.

Yukari stood and smiled. "I have saved up some money ... it will give me something to spend it on. That reminds me. I still have your money card."

"You do," Kotori replied non-commitally. She had already told Yukari what she expected her to do with that money. "Come. Tom ought to be mostly done by now. I'm sick and tired of being hungry."

Yukari nodded. "As you command, Taii-san." She smiled warmly.

END

"Ship mechanic, you say?" Masako said in mild surprise as she pursed her lips and scratched the tip of her left ear in thought. "I'm unsure of how much, Freeman-Heisho has done, but if you have experience with maintaining starships, we maybe pulling you in to help out with our fold drive," she explained.

Looking over at the three pitchers, Masako turned back to Asher. "If you can take them out into the wardroom, I'll bring enough glasses for the crew," she explained with a smile. "We will be eating out there," she said as she began to search for the glasses.

Nyton had finished changing and was enroute to the wardroom after dropping off his dirty clothes in his room, for some food when he was suddenly hit by a sudden sneezing fit. After it had passed he shook his head and continued on.

Kotori, Yukari and Nyton came across each other by the top of the stairs. "Looks like you won't get to sample my cooking today," the Taii said. "Tom is already on the job with a few helpers."

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back