Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: YSS Miharu Mission 1 "REAR GUARD", Day 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
"You're doing well, Veressis-Hei," the warrant officer encouraged the technician as she smiled a bit more as the alert seemed to cease. "Well, we seem to be out of combat now," Masako spoke up. Looking over at Tom and the sprites as the worked on the fold drive, the young neko patted Leutre on the shoulder. "I think you can handle this just fine now," she said confidently. "I'll be heading back to the portside CFS now so we can finish this calibration issue." she explained as she jogged back to the port side systems room and back to her panel to continue crunching numbers.

With the Yui-4 basically sliced in half and swissed by the battle, Ryszard had a difficult time to find a secure place to wait. Communications were down and he was still thanking whatever diety or luck that caused him to survive when just about everyone else had died.

He gave a sigh and shook his head back to the current problem as he pulled himself along the remains of rear half of the Yui, "This is Santô Hei Nishimura of the GSS Shikaku, are there any others out there receiving this? The GSS Shikaku is scuttled and there is at least one survivor requiring rescue. I am currently searching the rear main deck for other survivors." he transmits over the star army's emergency channels.

Asher Orkin Westwood sat slumped against a wall in the rear-half of the Shikaku. He was counting his blessings since the main reason he survived was his AMES suit. Not only that, he was able to save his GP-12 and the three recharble clips to go with them. He breathed heavily, still trying to catch up to speed with what happened.

Ryszard Nishimura said:
"This is Santô Hei Nishimura of the GSS Shikaku, are there any others out there receiving this? The GSS Shikaku is scuttled and there is at least one survivor requiring rescue. I am currently searching the rear main deck for other survivors."

Asher's head shot u-

BANG!

"Son of a bitch!" He yelled, his head shaken by the tremor his head just went through by nailing the wall, he was lucky he was wearing his helmet. Asher stood and rubbed the back of his helmet.

"Rys! Is that you man!? It's me, Asher! Where are you!?" He said through the emergency channel, hoping that he would get a reply over it.

Over her headset, Yukari was able to pick up the communication between the two soldiers apparently still on the Shikaku. It was on a relatively low-powered emergency band, one used by AMES suits. Yukari switched to that band and ordered the Miharu, through SPINE, to record the conversation. She sent an alert pulse on the channel the suits were using on that communication band, to get their attention.

Two profiles came up under a search for Shikaku members with the names of Nishimura and Asher: Santô Hei Nishimura Ryszard and Hei Asher Orkin Westwood.

"Crew of GSS Shikaku, this is YSS Miharu. All able-bodied personnel, please respond on this channel, break." Yukari paused. "Attention all GSS Shikaku personnel, this is YSS Miharu. Please respond on this channel."

"Miharu, be ready to lock on to the origin of broadcast, please."

"Acknowledged," the ship replied. Even with many sensor systems down, the Miharu could still roughly track broadcast locations.

Ryszard felt a lump in his throat as his heart jumped there. He was more than overjoyed at hearing Yukari and Asher's voice. He took a brief moment to compose himself before he responded, "Santô Hei Nishimura responding, I am in the Aft section of the main deck before the entrance to the sensor access tunnel. I roger you YSS Miharu." he responds over the emergency channel for both Yukari and Asher.

He held onto the corner of the corridor to keep himself balanced in the zero-gravity. YSS Miharu...I don't know that name. I wonder which fleet that belongs to. Might be a new craft that was just commissioned too. Rys thought to himself as his free hand ran across his holstered energy pistol, the standard issue one for enlisted.

Asher stood still, waiting for a reply from his friend. He was fairly worried of what would happen to them if they were left on the Shikaku any longer.

Sazuka Yukari said:
"Crew of GSS Shikaku, this is YSS Miharu. All able-bodied personnel, please respond on this channel, break."

Asher's spirits rose sky-high when heard the unfamiliar voice...

Ryszard Nishimura said:
"Santô Hei Nishimura responding, I am in the Aft section of the main deck before the entrance to the sensor access tunnel. I roger you YSS Miharu."

...then they rose even higher.

"This Santô Hei Asher Orkin Westwood, I read you loud-and-clear YSS Miharu. I'll join Santô Hei Nishimura as soon as I can and await further contact." Asher responded on the channel, hoping that Ryszard caught the message. Gathering his thoughts and steadying his mind, he rushed to the area Ryszard had reported from.

A display came to Yukari's left side, showcasing the broken Yui destroyer in 3D and pinpointing where Ryszard was located. She nodded, holding the information for when the others reached their armors or whichever boarding craft were to be used. The Miharu had roughly pinned down where Asher was, but his transmissions were impeded by something.

"Copy, Nishimura-Hei," Yukari said, using English as both soldiers had used it. "Your location is confirmed. Please do not leave it unless imperiled. Switch to to secondary channel 155.055 and continue to scan the standard emergency frequency. Acknowledge when you have done so." She waited for a moment, then added that channel to her list of comm frequencies she monitoring and replying on.

"How much time does your life support system have remaining, Nishimura-Hei?" she asked on 155.055.

Ryszard complied with Yukari's orders, "I am now transmitting on 155.055, my AMES suit's air supply is approximately twenty three hours, fourty minutes." he responded as he held his position. He grunted out something unintelligble as he pushed a piece of loose debris behind him that was about to get too close to him.

Leutre looked up from the panel and sighed with relief. Finally done. It had take him a bit of effort, but luckily he was no stranger to numbers. The Lady had taught him the finer points of probability and statistics and Da had taught him the art of zero-g gunnery calculations, so the mental number crunching wasn't as difficult as he expected.

Staring at the unit before him, he felt the urge to reach out and touch it. Through the suit he felt as if he could almost clutch the power coursing through the systems. "We will do great things, you and I." He muttered quietly. "We will save souls, shatter ships, cause all around bloody mayhem." He chuckled to himself as he removed his helmet. But his ease was short lived as he remembered the Mishhu attacks that had rocked the ship earlier. So many explosions could only mean more work before the day was through. He sighed. He had been looking forward to breakfast, too.

With Leutre finished, Masako didn't have much to do on her end either. All three CFS units on the Miharu seemed to be calibrated. Though there was still the Hoshi to do, but that could wait until later. Currently, the ships total CFS destabilization was off by the Hoshi's 1.2% error and that could be easily corrected with a trip down to the Hoshi. Once that was done, the main concern would be the rest of the ship. Armor and hull was the work of external repair units, but any internal damage was up to the crew and that would be an undertaking. Taking one last moment to scan the CFS unit in the port systems room, she nodded and smiled to herself to see nothing wrong with anything else.

Picking up her toolbox and helmet, she walked into engineering. "Veressis-Hei," she called out with a wave. "I'm going to head to the Hoshi to work on the CFS unit there," she told him as she walked up to the blonde. "I want to you stay here and monitor the other three CFS units from the main panel, if anything should stray contact me, ok?" she explained.

"Acknowledged," Yukari replied, putting a timer up in her immediate vision with Ryszard's name next to it. "Are there survivors near your position? Any possible hazards for a recovery team?"

"Other than Westwood-Hei ...No I have not seen nor gotten in contact with any others. There is quite a bit of debris as the GSS Shikaku was basically cut in half." he responded over the emergency channel.

He looked around and shook his head, "Apparently I'm at the fore not the rear...still a little disoriented from nearly dying so I apologize." he tacked on to the end of the message as he continued to wait for the rescue to occur.

Leutre nodded and removed his helmet. Running a hand through his hair he added, "But, uh, try not to take too long. I'm kinda hungry and I didn't have time to snag breakfast... But now that I think about it, I don't think anyone has yet." He grinned "Say, you should join me, too, after we finish up here. Spiced wine and stroganoff for everyone!" He cried and threw his arms into the air. "Uhh, sorry. I get carried away sometimes." He added sheepishly and turned back the console.

Masako couldn't help but smile at the blonde Nepleslian. "I don't know about stroganoff or spiced wine, but breakfast would be nice for everyone. But that will have to wait until we're out of danger wouldn't it? If you're hungry, I bet there's something we can scrounge up somewhere," Masako replied before waving and heading towards the main passage tube.

Heading up to the Main Deck, the young warrant officer casually stepped out of the main passage and down the connection junction onto the Hoshi. This having been the first time she had been on the Auxilary Ship, Masako called up a map of the ship before heading towards the Engine Room located at the nose of the ship. Engineering at the nose...seems...different.

Yukari nodded, storing the pertinent information into a text panel to relay to the recovery team. "Understood, Nishimura-Hei. Do you require immediate medical attention? Also, is the vessel powered where you are?"

The Chui missed having fully operational sensors.

Asher had some work cut out for him, he was in the shuttlebay on the rear of the ship. He needed to head all the way to the bow of the ship to reach the sensor access tunnel. He wasn't sure what exactly he should do. He felt that being in the shuttlebay would increase his chances of being found easily, but Ryszard was toward the bow and Asher was unsure of what he was planning. So, he decided to move to the south side of the ship and link up.

He made his way past the sternward lift and then down the hall past the briefing room. As he made his way he made sure to check rooms for survivors and any other signs of life. Then, he arrived at the Medical Bay, he figured that there may be someone in there. He stepped to the door, and it wouldn't open.

"Damn, that's not a good sign..." Asher thought aloud, he checked anyway to open it. His eyes landed on a rather sturdy looking bar, he then got an idea. He pointed his GP-12 at the edge of the door and let loose with three rounds. Seeing that he had made a large enough hole, he rammed the bar in and began to slowly open the door. He then dropped the bar and opened the rest of it on his own. Now that the door was open, he strolled in and saw a rather horrid sight. Bodies, lying all over the place, patients that had been strapped down were now spread out willy nilly. He recognized a few as the Science and Medical crews.

After gazing at this scene for a minute or so, he shook it off and returned to the hallway, trying to take that image out. His journey continued on to the bow of the ship, and eventually he made his way to the galley. The door to this place was slightly open, and he decided to just peak in real quick to check. His head shot in and he saw few bodies floating over the tables.

"Shit... This just ain't shooty, man..." Asher said, using one his favorite slang words. It was back to the hall and all that was left was the bridge and the cargo hold, and it was a rather large shock to him to see how non-existent the bridge was when he had reached the opening. He looked around at the vastness of space, then at the door across the gap leading to the bow of the ship, and finally down at what was left to hold the ship together. He figured that this would be a good time time to contact the Miharu and see what he should do, with the open space his signal should be pretty clear.

"Miharu, this Santô Hei Asher Orkin Westwood, I'm at the center of the ship, between the bridge and the galley. I havn't picked up a single person so far, and it seems that the bridge was taken out along with the hallway through it. Should I jet over and link up with Nishimura-hei, or hold my position?" Asher said, speaking throught the AMES communicator.

Yukari thought for a very short time. There was only one answer she was familiar with, and it felt like the right one. Kotori can focus on taking life to save life. I shall focus on maintaining life.

"Westwood-Hei, hold position," she said calmly along the emergency band, pinpointing his position her her map of the Shikaku. He had moved around significantly since his last logged transmission; he seemed to be looking for survivors. Good soul, she thought. "We will be able to retrieve you from your current position, I believe. If further movement is required, I will tell you. Switch to 155.055 and await instructions. Over."

As Yukari was gathering information from the survivors, Nyton began to move. "Chui, continue to monitor and feed me updates. I'm moving to organize the rescue and salvage." Nyton said as he began to move off the bridge towards Armor bay. "Miharu, please get a hold of Kurohoshi-Juni, Veressis-Hei, and Saito-Hei. Tell them to meet me in the starboard Armor Bay. Prepare four Daisy suits with space modules for launch. Have salvaging equipment ready for Veressis-Hei as well as a transport module for any torpedoes we find."

"Hai, Juni-san," Yukari said.

She gladly handed off most of the complex sensor functions to Miharu, leaving her with only what basic scans worked.

Sazuka Yukari said:
"Westwood-Hei, hold position,"

"We will be able to retrieve you from your current position, I believe. If further movement is required, I will tell you. Switch to 155.055 and await instructions. Over."

"Yes mam, holding position until further orders." He responded, switching over to 155.055, he was beginning wonder how Ryszard was doing... He looked around at the damage and devastation. Asher began to take all of what happened in, he felt so small, and insignificant. This was a rather stunning realization, back in the gangs in Malefir, he was able to make some sort of change.

But this... This was different... The Star Army wasn't just a few guys out doing small-time stuff. The Star Army were the big leagues to him, massive ships, naval engagements, planetary warfare, and even discovery of new planets. He rubbed his helmet as he began to accept the fact that the Star Army was completely different story...

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back