Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: YSS Eucharis [Mission 11.1] The Torchbearers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [Mission 11] The Torchbearers

Cargobay

Takeyu leaned up against the bulkhead for a few moments, letting the adrenaline rush settle down before looking up at the ceiling. "That was mighty close, too close," he shook his head and put his rifle away.

When he heard the Taisa's announcement, his first order of business was to get out of his armor - it would only slow him down and possibly hinder his ability to perform repairs due to the CFS system. Once out, he went over to a nearby damage control station and got into an AMES. With the helmit sealed he started for the door.

"Chosa? I'm headed to Engineering to get a full scope of the damage and fight the fires. If you need me elsewhere, please let me know" he sent through encrypted telepathy, though he didn't know why since they were out of danger.

Back in the shuttle, the girl raised her head but then put it right back down. The boy just sat there, keeping a close eye on her until medical treatment could be performed.

Shuttle Bay, in the Telemachus

Yaichiro sent a communication via text to Hanako and Helen before doing anything else. He forwarded it to Sune, so he knew that the Taisa and Shosa were informed...

Code:
Taisa, Shosa, you should know that some of the people in the shuttle with me and Sune-Shoi have shown hostility toward the others, one adult even shooting a child with a firearm shortly before the NMX attack which Sune-Shoi and I saw by a drone.  That and the parasites necessitate they not be left unobserved.  Some appear horribly malnourished as well.  A crime has definitely been committed here, and not by the NMX.

We may also need to check with one of the other vessels to see if they have more room aboard both in the way of intact medical facilities and containment cells.  I'm certain at least some of the people here will require imprisonment, and it's not like we can move potential hostiles through maintenance conduits or wait until the fires in the Medical Bay and Cargo Lift and the hull in the Power Armor Bay are resolved to be able to move them elsewhere.  Moving the Telemachus to another ship for the moment might need to be considered as an option if any of them are in better shape and better equipped.

Also, Cherry in Engineering has not responded to my communications.  I'll tell Nayacesen-Heisho to check on her while he's down there and grab a medical kit.

Next was Takeyu...

Code:
Nayacesen-Heisho, proceed to Engineering, but take a medical kit with you if possible, assuming they can be spared.  Some should be in lockers behind panels in the ship's passageways.  Cherry was stationed in Engineering to relieve me while I was in the field, and she is not responding to communications.

Also, the damage to the bridge and surrounding area may require that the Command Staff use Engineering as a temporary bridge.  Be ready to work around this if needed.

Then Kiko...

Code:
Inoue-Hei, please aid as your skills best allow, be that patching hull or putting out fire.  If neither is something you are able to do, then see if anyone is injured and find medical kits to aid them -- Eucharis is too low on medical personnel to handle everyone.

With that done, Yaichiro got up and headed to the cockpit, returning with a Type 31B medical kit -- one of ten the shuttle had.

"Sune-Shoi, you were a medic, right? This girl has a fresh gunshot wound. Can you please treat her? You can probably do more than i could." He didn't mention to everyone present that the two Officers had seen her get shot. The less trouble caused the better.

"This is just great! Does this always happen to the Eucharis, or did I just come in on a bad day?" Michael yelled as he backpedaled towards the open cargo bay, providing cover for the rest of the escaping Away team, acting as the rear guard. Shooting at anything that was hostile, the Elysian would keep this up until he was ordered to fall back into the Eucharis, the Cargo bay closing behind him.

Once the fleet was safely(?) back at HX-5, and the order to assist with damage control was issued, Michael got to work, assisting the crew with repairs to the hull breach in the Power Armor bay.

Shuttle Bay - In the Telemachus

"Yes, although on the Eucharis is seems that it would be more proper to use present tense.

I can treat her easily. but we have a bigger concern. As of this moment the Telemachus has just become our containment area. None of them can leave the shuttle until they have been cleared.

We need to secure shuttle bay so that once released from containment, we can keep the noncombatants safe." Sune said choosing his words carefully.

"Once I have identified the infected personnel, and I do not know how long it will be before they succumb to the parasites. I will have to see about removing the parasites. Which means delicate surgery with field equipment only.

I understand your skill sets are needed elsewhere, so please advice Kakita-Hei on how best to deal with the prisoners, while I tend to these people."

Sune then knelt next to the young woman, and started checking her wounds.

Bridge

Hanako proceeded to the bridge without Helen's hole-filled power armor and had found Blueberry outside the bridge, treating Blackberry's shrapnel and burn injuries. She patted the blue-haired former sprite on the shoulder before heading into the bridge. It was in shambles, with the front section shattered and burned and sizable several holes looking into space.

She found captain's station still operational. She used it to display the giant text Yaichiro had sent her communicator, sending a reply. "Arrest as needed." Did he seriously need to ask?

Hanako replied to Kiko: "Help put out the fire in engineering then find a partner and secure some hull patches on the hull breaches in the wardroom and galley so we can get it usable again. There are only a few holes there and it does not seem that bad. Patch kits are in the cargo bay."

Armor Bay

Michael found the breach in the power armor bay consisted of most of the entire hull in that section being missing. Every single piece of power armor equipment in there was destroyed and the damage was so bad the compartment was barely recognizable. No one else was in the power armor bay at the moment. Through the air containment forcefield at the doorway to the armor briefing room he could see flames. Presumably the door was somewhere in there.

YSS Eucharis - Cargo Bay

Helen, when put to a task, was very complete in her work. What was ahead of her was the task of verifying that every single individual who had come aboard was free of parasites. It was somewhat daunting if looked at from some sort of irrational view of it being so riddled with possible 'what if' moments... the trick was to eliminate those.

"Sune." Helen spoke, as she opened a communication line. "I will be there with you soon to evaluate the shuttle passengers for parasites. I've been assigned to assist in the task since I have medical training. Just remember, these are deep burrowers, you'll have to actually poke and prod a bit to feel for tissue swelling and trauma, dislodged organs, and abnormal 'lumps'... needless to say, that lump is what we're looking for."

As Helen explained she went about walking to the back of the Troll Tank, opening the passenger compartment door. Within, she saw the people which they had picked up from the bunker early on in their exploration of the decimated colony. "Hello, my name is Helen, Helen Klein, and I will be conducting a brief examination for any foreign contaminants before you will be permitted to move about the ship." She stated as she pulled a sensor monocle from her personal medical kit, placing it over her eye as she looked at, and through, the two individuals as she stepped over, intending to probe and prod, if they would cooperate.

YSS Eucharis, Cargo Bay

Once the tank and TASHA rolled up into the cargo bay, Manabu backstepped up the ramp after them and steadied himself against a bulkhead as the Eucharis made its tremulous ascent. He knew it was the best chance for a moment's reprieve and took half advantage. Didn't want to seem lazy!

The crew wasted no time in getting to their work, finding the best place to put their skills to use. Manabu found a reasonably safe corner and slipped out of the Mindy, figuring he'd be be able to better navigate the hazards of the ship without it. It took some work to free his mangled right hand without exacerbating some of the damage, but he was set before long.

Clearing some messy hair away from his face with a forearm, he took the opportunity to scan the bay and noticed the familiar black panels. He recalled what Blueberry-Chui had told him upon arriving. Must be.. Shosa Klein? The Taisa had communicated her instructions for the crew to begin damage control, so Manabu wasted little time: introduce himself, and discern where best to utilize his skills. He wasn't unable to patch hull damage or put out fires, and would be happy to do so, but he understood he might be better use elsewhere. You can hammer a square peg into a round hole, but there are often easier solutions with better results.

Approaching the tank, he rounded towards the passenger compartment and stood at attention, hand and vaguely-hand-resembling-hunk-of-meat behind his back. "Apologies for the interruption, Shosa Klein. Santo Hei Kakita Manabu, intelligence operative. Where can you use me?"

Bridge

After weighing her options, Hanako decided to head for Chiharu Star Fortress, an old and huge Iori-class starbase in the Veronica system under the Second Expeditionary Fleet. They had large shipyards there and would probably be able to repair Eucharis faster than anywhere else but the Plumeria production line at Gemini Star Fortress. They could get going as soon as Engineering was secured.

Cargobay

Takeyu had stopped and headed right up to the shuttlebay and snagged one of the kits, he stopped briefly to look at all of the assembled people that had just been rescued and he shook his head. A war is on, and yet slavers insist on still causing problems, he scowled and quickly left.

He headed back down, then through the corridor and headed for engineering.

Shuttlebay

The girl yelped a bit at the pain as the boy held her. "I take it you're in charge here?" he asked Sune.

The Gaping hole in the ship formerly known as the Power Armor Bay

"Well," Michael said, sending a telepathic communication to the bridge, "This is Papadopoulous-Hei. The PA bay is gone. Entirely. We've lost everything that was in here. We don't have the tools or materials here to fix a breach of this size, which is the entire hull of this section. There's a fire in the Armor Briefing Room, which means that there is still some air in there. I'll check for anyone to be in there before venting that section as well. Papadopoulous-hei, Out."

The Elysian frowned, and mad e his way through the empty PA-bay, the bulk of his armor easily fitting through the door to the briefing room. Looking around, he scanned the room for any survivors.

Thankfully, there was no one in the briefing room, just a bunch of burning recliners.

Kumiko had boarded the ship along with the rest of the squad, but had remained in her armor, reasoning that they had enough people to handle things on the inside for now, and her teleport module might be fairly helpful with patching the hull up as fast as they could. "Chusa, what do we need patched first? I have a teleport module, so I can get to it right now." That said, she gathered up the proper patching materials so she could go as soon as she got her orders.

Engineering

Takeyu wasn't sure what he'd find in engineering, other than fires and possible injuried crewmen, only that he had to get their quick. He bounded over some obstacles that were in the way and rounded a corner quickly.

He then found the entrance into the engineering bay and headed inside. "Cherry-heisho?!" was the first thing he shouted upon entering.

Engineering

Cherry was on the floor unconscious. Nearby, some of the equipment for the main gun was burning and the panels for it were all over the place. Apparently one of the hits to the main cannon had caused an explosion. It was likely the capacitor room was in bad shape too.

Cargo Bay/Engineering

After switching from his field uniform to an AMES suit quickly, dumping his field uniform into the tank. Mikael he slung his GB-12B Rifle, grabbed a fire extinguisher, and ran towards Engineering.

"Mikael the Fireman has arrived!" Mikael said as he entered Engineering, too focused to notice Takeyu or Cherry knocked out. He mostly said what he said to himself to prep himself when he saw the some of the Main Gun equipment burning. He rushed over to a safe stand off distance and commenced battle with the fires with his extinguisher.

Helen did not bother to look up before speaking to Manabu. "Santo Hei Kakita, a pleasure to meet you... sorry I cannot give you my full attention, but I am busy running some basic examinations here." Helen though, spoke one thing, but through encrypted telepathy, she said another "Santo Hei Kakita, I am checking these two for parasite-type NMX. They seem clean, but I will be checking more individuals soon, it is best not to openly disclose what we are up to, it may panic any uninfected survivors." she stated silently as she turned to Manabu at that point.

"Alright, Kakita, I want you to assist by taking down statements from each individual regarding their name, age, purpose for being on Mitsuya, and collect serial numbers from military personnel. Also gather biometric data. We want to help these survivors get back to their families or at least to let anyone they know be aware that they've been found." Helen explained as she gave a nod to the two survivors in the tank before stepping away. "If you would please accompany us to the shuttle-bay, where the other survivors are being housed, we can get you settled in." She stated, of course, there was another meaning to that too.

"Kakita, keep an eye on the survivors. Make sure they don't try to do anything out of the ordinary. Keep them away from harm as well, the last thing we need is for United Outer Colony citizens to die on a Yamataian Empire ship due to an accident. Also, keep your ears open, and attempt to collect any additional information which may be of benefit to us, basic field work." Helen further explained through encrypted telepathy as she wore a pleasant and welcoming expression upon her features while guiding the group around the damaged portions of the ship, and to the shuttle-bay, upon arrival, she went about tracking down Sune to find out his progress in processing the gathered survivors, and in keeping tabs on parasite-infested individuals.

Shuttle Bay - Telemachus

While Sune cleaned the woman's wound and prepared to treat it, "Actually the commander of the Eucharis is Ketsurui Hanako-Taisa, but I am second in command. How may I be of service to you besides, the obvious?" He said in a soft tone, as he applied a local anesthetic before applying a disinfectant.

He set a message to Helen via his armor,
Code:
Klein Shosa, I am currently treating one of the wounded. I have a PMS-1 in my armor butt pack that has eight charges left. That means we can clear at least eight of the survivors without having to resort to invasive methods.

YSS Eucharis
Cargo Bay to Shuttle Bay, Telemachus

Cargo Bay

Manabu stood at the ready, rigid and professional. He chose not to interrupt the Shosa, acknowledging her instructions by way of gestures and nods as her words resounded in his ears and his mind. "I understand, Shosa," he responded to both. "I will see the information gathered and any relations notified without hesitation." He sidestepped to make room for her and the two survivors to pass, following as they made their way to the shuttle-bay on the opposite flank of the civilians.

With a reassuring smile to their new companions, he continued: "We will ensure you are made safe and comfortable for the time being, and see you homeward as soon as possible." He made the rest of the journey in contemplative silence, the only revelation to the internal workings of his mind being those yellow eyes, always sharp.

Shuttle Bay, Telemachus

As they reached the shuttle bay, Manabu came to a stop and as he took in the last of her instructions, managed a bow as Shosa Klein went about her business. He lingered for a moment, taking the measure of her as she went, wondering.

Then the moment passed. He turned to address his party of two, smiling and tilting his head as he gestured towards the shuttle. As they arrived, he made room for his new pals to enter the Telemachus before him and stepped in after. A quick glance, and he approached the first crew member he noticed: an officer by the look of it, treating a female survivor. As he made his way closer, he managed a cursory glance about the shuttle, attempting to notice anything about any of the survivors that seemed out of the ordinary; who seemed to be slave, and slaver; who seemed more prone to sudden hysterics, and who seemed likely to keep a cool head; who seemed to have military experience, and who was pure civvie.

"Shoi? Kakita Manabu-hei, i'm sorry to trouble you. I've just come this way with Shosa Klein and -" with a motion towards the two survivors that had come with him, " - those two. I'm here to assist with processing the survivors and gathering biometrics. We want to ensure a safe and expedient trip back home for them." Obviously, he left those unspoken commands as they were - unspoken.

Maintenance Tunnels, then Engineering

When she "heard" her orders, she diverted her course in the tunnels to the Engineering bay. Having to crawl instead of walk slowed her down somewhat, but she got there eventually and took a fire extinguisher off the wall. Seeing that Mikael had the main gun handled, she headed to the capacitor room and blasted some fire-retardant foam at the fires there. Ironically, it reminded her a bit of using a flamethrower.

The big hole in the Ship's hull where the armor bay used to be

Glad that the briefing room was empty, Michael deactivated the barriers keeping the air in, letting the air empty out of the room and starving the fire of oxygen. communicating with the bridge, he notified them of the resolution of the situation.

"Bridge, should I head to engineering now to assist with damage control operations, or should I assist in dealing with the civilians?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back