• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Eucharis [Mission 11.1] The Torchbearers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [Mission 11] The Torchbearers

After the scouts checked the system, Hanako moved the Eucharis towards Mitsuya II and began to descend into the atmosphere towards where the military base there was last seen. As they emerged from the clouds, they could see the terrain was marked with large craters around the colony site. There were no communications from the base either. The ground was covered in several centimeters of snow.

"Helen, get the away team ready."

With the order from Hanako, Helen gave a soft nod and spoke a simple "Yes, Taisa." As she summoned a volumetric window to manage the mission assets. As she worked, she figured that she had discovered her purpose aboard the ship; she seemed to be in charge of away operations, that suited her nicely, it gave her something to look forward to. As messages came in from volunteering crew members, Helen went about bringing up their individual profiles and placing them along the edge of the volumetric window she had set before her.

As she worked, Helen went about allocating supplies for herself and those which had contacted her. Her process of work involved dragging items and dropping them upon recommended inventory lists for each crew member that had volunteered. She then sent the recommended equipment lists to each member.

Shosa Helen Klein To Volunteer Group said:
Attention volunteers, your intended participation has been noted and you have been assigned to the landing party. Please report to locations assigned once appropriate equipment has been gathered.

Mikael Harris
Please gather the following equipment;

1 Type 30B Machine Gun with ammunition
1 Portable Repair Kit
1 Type 30 Portable Shelter
1 Type 32 Trauma Kit
1 Type 31B Medical Kit
1 Type 31 Field Uniform
2 Survival Kits

Furthermore, download proper instruction on the use of the Type 31 Tank. Once data has been applied, report to cargo hold and prepare the Type 31 Tank for deployment. Place equipment specified into tank cargo baskets, put on Type 31 Field Uniform.

Michael Papadopoulos
Report to Power Armor Bay.

Prepare to deploy in Daisy M6 Infantry Power Armor, equip accessory package ideal for planetary reconnaissance operations and engagement of moderately armored targets, equipment selection permitted to be determined by personal discretion. Report intended load-out prior to deployment of armor unit.

Once unit is prepared for deployment, await deployment of team members from YSS Eucharis cargo hold ramp prior to launch.

During deployment, you will be expected to provide infantry support to deployed personnel while conducting reconnaissance from point position.

Kumiko Endoh

Prepare to deploy in Mindy M2-A2 Power Armor. Equip accessory package ideal for providing close air support to surface personnel. Allow for the capability to carry one Portable Repair Kit.

You will be expected to provide close air support for surface personnel, provide support to deployed vehicles, and assist in the repair of any material assets discovered on planetary surface.

Once unit is prepared for deployment, await deployment of team members from YSS Eucharis cargo hold ramp prior to launch.

Nayacesen Takeyu

Prepare to deploy in Daisy M6 Infantry Power Armor. Equip accessory package which would allow for function in the capacity of fire support for infantry group, ideally for the neutralization of heavily armored targets.

During deployment, you will be expected to provide fire support for deployed infantry personnel. Once unit is prepared for deployment, await deployment of team members from YSS Eucharis cargo hold ramp prior to launch.

With the message sent, Helen turned to Hanako when she spoke, and gave a short bow before speaking; "Excuse me Taisa, I will head down to prepare for deployment." With that, Helen departed and made her way down to the armory. Once in the armory, Helen went about acquiring materials which she had brought aboard, as well as equipment from the Eucharis' own armory. Once she had picked out the equipment desired, she made her way to the power armor bay, where she removed and stored her uniform prior to climbing into her personal Ke-M3-1d Kylie. Once the armor was locked into place, she made her way to the cargo hold to oversee the deployment of the 'Troll' tank, and to prepare her personal Lo-Moto for use. As the Eucharis approached the surface, she climbed onto her vehicle as she checked over her equipment, observed the preparation of the tank as well as the other away team members, and simply waited for the order to deploy.

Eucharis Bridge

Sune looked at the data coming in, it was painfully obvious what had happened here. He turned towards Hanako, "Taisa, in the interest of improving our intelligence gathering; I suggest we prepare the aerial VCMAD for deployment. It would provide recon for the away team and gather atmospheric data as well."

Michael chuckled as Helen's ordered him into a DAISY, and headed back to the armor bay, suiting up into his Hikael. Once the Elysian was sure that his PA was operating normally, he sent out a message to the Shosa.

Code:
Apologies, Ma'am, but I won't be able to follow your orders due to certain physiological factors. Such as being unable to fit into a Daisy or a Mindy, due to the fact that I'm an Elysian. I'll be using my Hikael like I've been doing, thank you very much ma'am.

A scowl crossed Helen's features as she compared the information of the Eucharis' manifest, in relation to the matter that she had received a contradictory statement from the Elysian. It made her scowl a bit, a matter of a few years ago she had been planting spy devices inside of tabernacles in Elysian cathedrals, now she had to put up with one contradicting her and putting snags into her plans. At that point she sent a message back;

Code:
Santô Hei Papadopoulos, you have been ordered to attend the landing party in a Daisy, and you will make yourself compatible to the Daisy or the Daisy compatible to you. Either way, you will launch in a Daisy or you will not launch at all. Wings can be re-attached or grown in a hemosynth tank, Yamataian bodies are readily available for temporary transfer, wings can also be bound close to the body. Furthermore, do not presume to thank me prior to obtaining authorization from me to carry out the action which you assumed was authorized. Next time, ask first. That is all, Santô Hei Papadopoulos.

As she sent the message, Helen pondered something. She pondered what kind of evolutionary function linked pompous superiority and wings. After all, she had just spent many months in Lorath society, and in her time serving the Empire she had plenty of dealings with Elysians. It just seemed to her that whenever a species had wings, they were rather difficult to cope with. On that thought, Helen also concluded that Nekovalkryja she had known in the past who had wings added to their genetic code were also rather egotistical and overly sure of themselves... well, in some cases it was deserved, though it still seemed to be a common theme.

Engineering

Takeyu nodded at he received his orders, he was going to use a Daisy which he wasn't at all accustomed to, but prepared for none-the-less. "This'll be quite the learning experience," a grin tugged at the edge of his mouth as he got up.

He tapped the keys. "Chusa? I've routed the Mass Detector array report to you, I've already looked at it and didn't see anything wrong but, well, you may notice something my inexperienced eyes do not," with that he turned toward the door and then looked down at his hand - he was actually noticing it shaking a bit, nervous? Why am I nervous? I've been in combat more times than I can count..., he closed his hands and flexed them and saw that his hands were no longer shaking, and just shrugged his shoulders before leaving for the bay.

He quickly made his way to the power armor bay, he was half tempted to use his new invention, but thought otherwise. He still didn't have the Taisa's permission to construct it, and had there been more time, he would've requested it.

Power Armor Bay

Walking into the armor bay, he caught sight of their newest addition to the crew - someone he hadn't yet seen, but had already heard was on board. He asked Charisma, and got the soldiers name back. "Ahhh," he smiled and walked up to the Daisy armor.

He placed his hand on it, and smiled before sliding into the armor itself and engaging it. Running a self-diagnostic just to make certain everything was working properly, he picked out a particular load out that he felt would work in combating heavy armor.

Looking through the load out, he picked out the Ke-M6-W3000 50mm Gauss Bazooka for use against heavily armored targets while also picking out the Ke-M2-W2909 Accelerated Plasma Rifle along with the Ke-M2-W2909-RGL 50mm Rapid Grenade Launcher attachment.

He looked the weapons over, and put the Bazooka away and grabbed a few extra magazines for it and two extra drum magazines for the grenade launcher.

Takeyu thought about possibly bringing another weapon with him, but wondered he if would just be weighing himself down more than he needed to. Tapping his lower chin thoughtfully and looking at the available weapons, he decided to do it.

He equipped the lower leg points with the Ke-M2-W2908 Offensive Augmentation Pods and made double sure that they were functioning properly before checking back to see if he could afford to bring anything else.

With his picks done and himself ready to go, he pondered what more he could possibly do. "This is about all I can think of," he continued to tap his lower chin and forwarded his load out to the Shosa in the event she needed him to change anything out.

Before heading into the cargo bay, he checked on the drones that came with the armor and saw that they were ready for use. With that done, he headed for the cargobay.

Power Armor Bay

Mikael finished bolting on one of the the replacement panels on his Daisy when he recieved the message from Helen. He put everything he had out away and put a notice into the system that the Daisy was deadlined, pending repairs.

He went over to his quarters to switch from his AMES Suit to one of his new smelling Type 31 uniforms. He rolled up his bonnie cap and put it into his left cargo pocket on his pants and proceeded to the nearest terminal to download the skills he would need to pilot the Type 31 Tank. Once he was sure he the download was not corrupted from his lack of experience doing it, he went to the Armory first.

He got a cart from near by and proceeded to heft the pieces of the Type 30B Machine Gun unto it. When the last piece was on, he got 4000 rounds work of ammo belt cases. He then got a GP-12B Phased Pulse Rifle and three extra BR-P50 batteries for himself. He manuvered it and the cargo down to the vehicle Bay. He hefted the items off of the cart and then went back to the Cargo Bay he went through to gather the Portable Repair Kit, Type 30 Portable Shelter, Type 32 Trauma Kit, Type 31B Medical Kit, and Survival Kits. He also got the rest of the items for the standard cargo load of the tank.

He once again pushed it back to the tank in multiple trips and started first with putting the machine gun onto the tank. He deadlifted the reciever assembly onto the top of the tank next to the turret. He then put the barrel on top before he climbed up to lift the reciever assembly onto the remote weapons station and connect the two. Once that was done, he picked up the barrel and screwed it into the reciever.

Now it was Michael's turn to be offended. Giving him an order to use a specific piece of equipment that he couldn't use because of a simple clerical mistake was one thing, but ordering him to cut off two major limbs was beyond reasonable. A superior officer or not, Michael was a trained soldier, and that meant he had obligations to more things than someone who outranked him. One of those things was not having to follow an unlawful order. "MEGAMI, please send a record of the preceding communications to Taisa Hanako," the Elysian ordered, before sending a communication to the Taisa herself.

Code:
Ma'am, Please excuse this disruption, Taisa Hanako, but I seem to have run into a bit of a problem with Shosa Klein. You see, I believe that in her assignment of roles for the Away Mission, she was not informed of my being an Elysian, and ordered me into a Daisy. When I informed her of this mistake and that I would be using my assigned Hikael, She ordered me to remove both of my wings and enter a Daisy. While I know that the basic body layout of both our species is humanoid, doing that would cause a number of problems that are normally associated with complete removal of major limbs, including major blood loss leading to shock and possibly death. In light of this, I believe that the order to remove my wings and to use a Daisy will only impair my combat functionality when I can just use my Hikael, and is therefore completely unnecessary. I do not wish to stay on the ship during the away mission, because doing so would not give me a chance to prove my worth to the CO of this vessel, but if I must, then I will ma'am.

Hanako replied:

To: Shosa Helen Klein, Santô Hei Michael Papadopoulos

It is illegal for a soldier of the Star Army to injure himself, and therefore he does not have to comply with the demented order to cut his wings off. Michael will use his Hikael power armor for the operation.

Vehicle Bay

Mikael had some issues loading the ammo from the the ammo bin to the weapon itself by himself. But he figured a way finally and the focused on quickly loading the the remaining items into the various cargo baskets outside securely.

The rest of the items that didn't really belong outside he would have to secure in the cargo area. He leaned into the the cockpit's hatch in order to turn the tank's power supply on and flip a switch that controlled the rear ramp. He securely put to the items to front of the tank with cords. He made sure not to block the hatch between the cockpit and cargo area.

He dropped back into the cockpit for good this time after he put the cart into a safe location, rifle in hand. He took off his helmet and shifted around to get comfortable in the body armor he was wearing. Once he was set, he closed the rear ramp, turned the engine on. "Hope this bucket is fresh from the factory, don't have time to check it's function..." Mikael thought to himself as he made his checks.

"All stations, radio check" Mikael said as he tested the tanks communication system.

To: Shosa Helen Klein, Santô Hei Michael Papadopoulos

It is illegal for a soldier of the Star Army to injure himself, and therefore he does not have to comply with the
demented order to cut his wings off. Michael will use his Hikael power armor for the operation.

To: Taisa Hanako

Order confirmed, Taisa. Furthermore, request that Santô Hei Papadopoulos' Power Armor be officially added to the Eucharis' manifest, also, I request that he be instructed in the proper behavior of a soldier of his rank when receiving orders or addressing a superior officer. Presumption to state a 'thank you' for a non-requested exception, and the impulse to chuckle at an order displays a distinctive lack of discipline, ma'am.

Taisa, additionally, I would recommend a vehicle or power armor system manufactured by a Yamataian manufacturer, designed to be suitable to Elysian physiology, be acquired for Santô Hei Papadopoulos. Due to the exception which has been granted in the case of his Hikael PA, I will be unable to properly coordinate communications and telemetry with his unit while he is operating in a point position, which may prove to endanger his life, our the lives of the team, ma'am.

Taisa, thank you for your time, and I hope to possibly be permitted to discuss the intricacies of Yamataian Law, Elysian physiology, modern Yamataian medical technology, power armor design, and my mental health at a later time when the mission is complete and alert conditions permit for our attention to be placed elsewhere, ma'am.

With her message sent to the Taisa, Helen went about adjusting her Kylie to be able to operate on the primitive communication bands used by the Hikael, it was dismal really, it would leave her and the team open to detection and monitoring no doubt. Outwardly though, Helen displayed no sign of her displeasure in the situation aside from a clenched jaw which was hidden behind the helmet of her Power Armor. Silently, Helen wondered just where Hanako got off deciding that a simple medical procedure endangered someone, or when an order from above constituted an individual harming themselves, a surgeon would no doubt he assisting. What irked Helen more, was the label of her order being 'demented'... merely two or three years prior, such an order would have been common-place, and in comparison to the Taisho Yui's track record, such an order would have been quite mild. With the moment passed, Helen realized that her methodology within the structure of the current Star Army seemed more and more incompatible, it made her simply shake her head as she let the feeling pass.

In quite the neutral tone, Helen spoke; "Radio check confirmed, hear you loud and clear."

Cargobay

Takeyu was bored, but behind the helmet no one would notice that. His hands shifted the rifle between the two, being glad he could operate it in other hand.

His diagnostic on the armor was completed, and everything showed up in green, glad that nothing was broken or on the verge of it. When he got the radio check from Mikael, he responded casually.

"Confirmed here, can hear you clearly," was all Takeyu said as he shifted his rifle, yet again, to his other free hand and glanced out toward the ramp.

Makes me wonder what we'll encounter down there, this was attacked by the Mishu not that long ago and yet there were no ships in orbit? this made him ponder things as he rechecked some of his suits systems.

No Mishu here, yet a planet that they had taken, ughs this reeks of possible ambush, he looked back down at his rifle and once again shifted it to his other hand. He also made a quick check on the Bazooka, and then put it away.

Cargobay

A Daisy walked into the cargo bay and began broadcasting after being made to mimic a human salute and bow. "Inoue-Santô Hei requesting permission to attend the away mission, Nitô Heisho," came a soft voice on the radio, deciding that in the absence of knowledge of the current chain of command she would just address all holders of the highest rank present. She'd meant to volunteer for the mission as soon as the call for volunteers came from the PA, but had wanted to stow her gifts from Hanako in her quarters first.

Cargobay

Takeyu glanced over at the Santo Hei, and thought for a moment. "Give me a momente Santo-hei," he said and glanced away as he sent off a message to the Chusa.

Code:
Shosa?

Inoue Kiko-Santô Hei is requesting permission to join the away team, ma'am.

"I've sent you're request to the Chusa," he gave the Santo-hei a nod of his head.

He then looked the soldier over and placed his hand on his chin while he examined her more closely. "Though I do have to ask, and I don't mean to make you feel uncomfortable or anything, but where were ya up to anyway?" his intention of the question wasn't just for his curiousity but also in the event the Chusa asked him.

"I was stowing away... some of my effects, sir," Kiko said stiffly, her expression as neutral as ever inside the armor. I don't deserve those gifts, but for some reason that makes them seem more important... "They might have scratched the bulkhead if I hadn't."

Cargobay

Takeyu was watching Kiko, studying her in a way, seeing how she would've reacted. She reacted a bit differently than he had expected, he couldn't tell if she was nervous, uncomfortable, or something else was bothering her.

"Nervous about your first possible mission?" he asked her carefully.

Kiko froze a bit at Takeyu's question. She hadn't meant to give anything away like that! "It's my second mission, sir," Kiko said, trying to force some of her usual calm into her voice. "I was on the probe retrieval team," she added. Perhaps he was inquiring about her record and not her emotions. She could hope, anyway.

Cargobay

He had to hit himself for not catching that sooner, he hadn't realized she was on the team that recovered the probe - then again he hadn't exactly inquired about her information as it really wasn't his business at the time.

"Anyway, if you need any advice or suggestions, or just need someone to talk to, don't hesitate to approuch me. I'm always open as long as nothing major is going on," again, like before, he wished she could see the smile to show that he meant what he said.

"Understood, sir," Kiko said, saluting again. She started to think of advice she might actually need... she shook her head within the armor, not letting the helmet move. No time for that, there was a mission. Well, hopefully. She walked over to a nearby blank wall and stood out of the way.

With the request forwarded from Takeyu, and the arrival of Inoue before her, Helen could not help but to give the fresh green Santo Hei a shot at getting some work in. "Santô Hei Inoue Kiko, your request is acknowledged, you may join the team. Since you have already shown the initiative to put on a Daisy, you will take on the task of riding topside on the tank. You will watch the flanks of the vehicle for incoming possible hostiles or other unknowns. Report what you spot first, then shoot, unless it is a distinctive threat, in which case you may fire based on your own discretion. To be clear, your main task on this mission will be to ensure that the tank survives this sortie, now go and assume your position on-top of the tank."

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back