• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: 21st Fighter Sq [Mission 3.0] - Out of the Mist

Silic hunched forward towards his windscreen as Kayo got on the first truck with Atsui and Ellisif, “Two rookies? Is the chief fix'in to die?” he whispered to himself in shock.

When he finally spoke to the others his voice was dead serious, expression deadpan under his helmet. “Should the worst happen in front, who's second in command?” He waited until the other truck was a respectable distance away before following at what he deemed a safe distance, if such a thing could be applied to an object he figured may as well be packed with high explosive.

"I would be, since Arashi-Hei isn't here and the next superior is the Chui herself. I have seniority over you, Vas-Hei." Lynn said.

She readied her Longbolt and settled in for the drive. Silently, she wished Kail Tarrim was here. Then she remembered Konpeki.

"Oh wait. I suppose your disappearing friend would be in charge if she was around."

Silic straightened at that idea “I'd rather get choked by the chain of command than have her on it.” he grumbled, then tensed up “Did I say that out loud?”

Yaeko thought for a moment. "Then maybe it's better that the Chui has two newbies with her. This way, if that truck does go down, there are at least two other people out of harm's way to take over once we're finished. I don't think I could stand either of you two in charge, because somebody would end up dead with their memory backup mysteriously deleted."

"Numa-Chui." Ellisif looked up once she had mounted into the back of the LUT. "Are we shooting to kill?"

While her eyes observed the commander, her fingers nervously played along the length of the weapon in her lap, she apparently didn't seem too comfortable with the possibility of her first kill order, despite her usual cold demeanor.

Atsui kept her eyes ahead as she made her way through the forest. The path they were following could hardly be called a path. It was the area of least vegetation, and relatively clear. However, there were plenty of protruding rocks to jolt and jar the utility truck and its occupants.

"These people have already killed a number of the Scientific Studies Service personnel. It is safe to figure they will continue that attitude.

Since they out number us, we will shoot to kill. Only wounding them means they can still shoot back. Now if some of them should throw down their weapons and surrender, then we will cross that bridge when we get there."

The squadron made its way cautiously through the woods. The paths they were taken were not made for vehicles, so there was plenty of jostling and jarring. In some places, they had to deviate from the trail to get around an obstacle that was too large for the LUT to roll over.

When the path crossed a large stream Konpeki signaled the group.
Possible ambush or lookouts on the other side of the stream. I make four individuals, South of the trail and four north. Gives them a perfect field of fire. I also spotted what looks like a communications unit. I am going stealth to take it out.

Atsui stopped her LUT before they came in sight of the stream. "Okay, I'm looking for a hunting dog to help flush out the baddies? Any volunteers?"

"Hunting dog, Chui?" She looked up quietly.

Eyes rested on the commander with cold interest.

"If you order me I will go, but this term seems out of context."

"Hunting dogs are used to flush out birds for hunters. In this case, we have eight hostiles hidden on the other side of the stream. We can not see them to take them out.

So we need someone to drive one of the LUT's out into the stream so they will expose themselves trying to shoot whoever is in it.

This is purely a volunteer task Sekimizu-Hei. Because there is the obvious risk of being shot at while sitting in a vehicle." Atsui replied.

At that time another message came from Konpeki.
Comm gear appears to be wired, should have it cut in a minute.

The other LUT skidded to a halt just behind them, Silic reaching to grab his shotgun and rested the butt on his thigh as he watched the forest on his side of the truck, one hand still gripping the steering wheel. “No one messes up my Type Dirty 'cept me.” he said with finality.

Lynn had decided.

"I'll do it." She messed with her Longbolt. "I'll be the hunting dog."

She hopped out of Silic's truck, and approached Atsui. The new girl was being rather vague, and Lynn pinned her as an indecisive Neko. Lynn, however quiet she was, wasn't indecisive.

"Indecision kills." Hachirou, her short former mentor had said. Lynn wished he were still around, to tell her how to handle men. Especially inept, cowardly, stupid men like Silic Vas.

As Lynn was about to pass Silic stuck out his shotgun wielding hand to stop her. He looked down at her rifle and back up, “Please.” he said with distaste at her choice of weapon, flipping the butt end of his shotgun for her to take.

Atsui turned towards Lynn, "Okay Hoshi, you get the duty. When they start shooting use the LUT for as much cover as possible. We will handle the hostiles.

Okay Diamonds, Tin Man, Munkata-Hei you'll position yourselves to the left of the trail. Sekimizu, Kayo-Hei, your with me on the right"

"Ah, Numa Chui, I think I should go in the truck in place of Yagami-Hei. I am the least valuable and therefor I am more expendable." Kayo suggested.

Atsui looked at Kayo, "No one is expendable. Yagami-Hei, it is your call. You can take the truck or let Kayo."

Yaeko hopped out and went over to the canopy line on the left side of the trail. Slinging her shotgun over her back, she pulled out the Longbolt. I hate doing this. Yaeko squeezed her eyes shot ad began floating towards the canopy line. After a couple yards she opened her eyes, finding a branch that was lower than the others, so that branches wouldn't obstruct her view, and was sturdy enough to support her weight. She floated over to it and pulled out her rope.

Yaeko tied one of the ends around the trunk of the tree, just above the branch, so the rope wouldn't just slide down the trunk, and tied the other end around her waist. She figured this way, if she was shot or knocked unconscious, she could insure that the fall didn't kill her. She set herself down on the branch and lay on her stomach in a prone position, parallel to the branch. Shouldering her Longbolt, she loaded it with several normal rounds. Yaeko then opened the box of HE rounds and stuck a couple in one of her utility belt pockets, so she could easily access them. She then took aim down the trail, and clicked the safety off.

Sekimizu watched the bait duty go to someone else without so much as a blink, she watched the neko that took it with a little curiosity but didn't much care more than that. As ordered she readied herself to follow Atsui, choosing the longbolt as her weapon at the moment though her shotgun was to hand as well. "Ready when you are Numa-Chui."

Atsui stepped out of the LUT and moved to the side, she watched Yaeko move up one of the trees. "Kayo-Hei let Yagami take the truck. You can help from the shore.

Sekimizu-Hei, follow Munkata's example. Find a place up one of these trees on this side, secure yourself and wait for the shooting to start. With the two of you up there, you will have an advantage over the enemy. Especially if you wait for those of us on the shore to start firing."

Hostiles are now in communications blackout.

Ellisif launched herself up to the tree tops, finding a strong branch with a good view of the surroundings but also ample leaf cover to keep her disguised from the enemy, taking position she readied her longbolt on the direction of the enemy, checking the sights before signaling to Numa-chui that she was ready.

Lynn looked at Silic and the shotgun. She moved the shotgun away from her and stepped around Silic.

"Keep it, my task is to play decoy to flush out the hostiles." She said as she climbed into the LUT. "Just make sure you do not shoot me in the back Tin-Man." She started the vehicle and moved forward. "Ready to go Solitaire."

Atsui moved to her vantage point using a rock to provide her with cover. Once the enemy started shooting she would use it as a barricade and shoot at the over it. "Move out Yagami-Hei."

Lynn's nuckles were turning white from gripping the wheel so tightly. She eased her grip and started driving forward. She aimed the LUT to the point on the opposite shore that the trail continued. Her eyes scanning the shore line for any hint of the attackers. When she got halfway across the stream, the first shots rang out as the hostiles emerged from the brush to fire at the truck.

Yaeko was already on it, firing at enemies before they even had a chance to shoot. When the first head popped up she quickly aimed and fired. Choosing the closest target to her first one, she took more careful aim this time, taking a second or two to lock on target before pulling the trigger again. Then, she looked up from her scope, scanning for any possible enemy vehicles, and then looked back down into the scope, taking aim at the person closes to Lynn's vehicle and firing.

“I'm going to be pissed if I have to fix that truck!” He shouted as the shooting began, climbing out of his seat and looking up at the branches the rest of the crew had floated up towards. “Oh stuff that for a joke!”

He took cover behind a tree trunk conviently close enough to the action to make it look like he was taking part, while far away enough to be able to do exactly the opposite. He flicked the safety off, aimed towards the general direction of the enemy, “What did I load this with again?” going through his mind as he squeezed the trigger.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back