• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: 21st Fighter Sq [Mission 3.1] Menace in the dark

When Elisto reached the top of the ladder, he found Hisao's body, his sightless eyes looking up at the ceiling. A small hole in his forehead right above the bridge of his nose.

Looking in the direction the shot came from Elisto saw a door at the end of the catwalk that lead to the shuttle bay.

----------------------------

Kamato had returned to his hiding place on the alien vessel. He could not believe his good fortune. He was given the honor of crippling the ship that had violated the hunting ground of his house. House Paqya obeyed the Tonai mandate about avoiding ships that belonged to Amaty. But when they transgressed, Paqya would make them pay. Kamato's instructions were clear, disable the ship, then activate the beacon, and keep the vonai'bu from repairing their ship and escaping.

With the shake of his head, Elisto examined the hole in the Heisho's skull. Yea.... he muttered after a few seconds with a mild curse before taking a few short steps toward the door at the end of the catwalk.

He raised his pistol and crouched down. "Taii? We have a problem, turbine has been sabotaged, hole blown inward points to an explosive that was affixed to the exterior. Two crew dead, including Hisao-Heisho who was just killed with a shot in the head," he stopped and looked down at the Heisho and shook his head before placing his hands over the mans eyes and closing them. "I have reason to believe we have a sabotour onboard, what are your orders sir?", other than the obvious which was to keep his eyes peeled and not end up with a nice round hole in the front or back or side of his skull. With that thought in mind he took a few volunteerly steps back, not out of fear, fear was something he controlled and right now he knew that someone was onboard causing trouble but he didn't know whether it was a fellow crewmen or someone from outside the ship. If it's a fellow crewmen, then command will have a field day. If it's an unknown, then this is going to get real interesting.

"Tereane-Hei, secure the engineering section. Manually dog the hatches leading aft. I am sending down two technicians, Burke and Sanders, to see about assisting with restoring power. Also see if you can locate the other Engineer. No one should be in the aft section, report in five minute intervals. Richardson out." came the reply from the Taii.

Engineering

Elisto nodded and tapped the side of his glasses; causing them to start recording everything he was seeing. He walked over to the Heisho's body and examined it, recording everything he saw for later review, he then resecured hatchs on that level before climbing down the ladder to the lower level.

Again, like what he had done above, he examined the body of the tech before walking over to the turbine and recording everything that he saw. Then he secured those hatches, and headed right back up to the top floor.

He then stared at the door leading to the shuttle bay. Another engineer huh? he raised his pistol and opened the hatch that lead to the shuttle bay, then peered inside.

Elisto found himself standing on a catwalk that overlooked the shuttle bay. A Ke-T8 Shuttle was sitting in the center of the bay. The shuttle bay had all the standard features, and the floor showed signs of heavy usage. With only the emergency lights operating the shuttle bay was filled with shadows. Over on the starboard side of the floor was a dark stain, near a storage locker.

He there in the hatchway and took the room in with one scan of his eyes; he wasn't to certain if he should stay back and wait for the techs to arrive or continue forward. Then agian, the idea of coming back to the Engineering section only to find the tech's dead all because he didn't do a proper job of securing the area weighed heavily on his mind.

With the shake of his head, he closed the hatch but didn't seal it, instead keeping his hand firmly on his pistol just incase. Last thing I want is the Taii chewing me out for not waiting until the techs arrived,

It was a few minutes later that a banging came from the forward hatch. After the second time "Tereane-Hei, it is Burke and Sanders. Open the hatch so we can come in." came over the comm.

Elisto closed the hatch he was by, locked it in place for the moment and walked over to the other hatch and unlocked it, then pulled it open. "Welcome to Engineering," he said to the two techs.

The first technician stepped in and looked at Hisao's body. "Damn, Kondō-Heisho, what happened? What did that?" Burke asked.

Sanders walked past the fallen crew members and checked the status board. There was considerable damage to the breaker board, but he examined the switching mechanisms.

"Richardson-Taii, Sander's here. We can get you partial power in about 10 minutes. The number turbine appears intact, but there is some damage to the cooling system. If we run the turbine at 50 percent, I think we can keep things stable. But that will limit our options. " he sent via radio.

"Get us some power, partial is better than what we have now, Richardson-Out."

Sanders turned to the others. "Okay, lets get the bodies out of here, and then get the reactor back up and the second turbine spinning. Right now we're dead in the water. I really do not feel like getting captured by the NMX and served as sausage."

"A guest that is unwelcome did that," Elisto said in response to Burke's question. "The Taii wants me to find the other engineer, the fact I haven't seen them anywhere makes me wonder if they are somewhere in the shuttle bay, or in a cramped compartment," the notion of that made him consider several avenues.

He helped with the removal of the bodies, then headed over to the hatch that lead into the shuttle bay. "Lock this hatch after I leave, if I need to come back in, I'll contact you," with that he unlocked the hatch and then stepped into the shuttle bay, closing it behind him. He waited a few moments, took a look around, then looked down at his sidearm. He then sent a status update to the Taii, a few seconds early, but he figured the Taii wouldn't mind.

Alright, Engineering should be safe for now, but I worry about whomever it is that is causing us problems, best find them first before they find Burke and Sanders, or worse, the Taii, with that he raised his pistol - took a look around the bay, and then started examining the various areas, including the shuttle, the barrels where he noticed a dark stain upon examination, and then a few containers. His glasses recording everything he saw.

The hatch closed and locked behind Elisto. The technicians watched for a few minutes before moving to work on repairs.

The shuttle looked like someone had gone through it, the storage compartments had been rifled through. The contents of them dumped on the floor of the shuttle.

As Elisto approached the storage locker with the stain he smelled a chemical odor, and liquid was dripping out of the bottom of the locker.

Elisto knelt down in front of the locker and examined the liquad, before looking up at the lockers handle, he briefly unsealed his AMES and took in the smell of the chemical before resealing his suit.

Taking a quick glance around the bay, making certain his surroundings were clear, he holstered his pistol and grabbed the handle and slowly began to open the locker to take a peek inside.

The chemical scent was familiar to Elisto from his days on the police force. It was a chemical solution that when it reached the proper concentration would achieve combustion. There reagent was in a container up on the shelf and a hole had been punched to allow the contents to flow. The liquid on the bottom of the cabinet had wisps of smoke coming off it, a clear sign that combustion was imminent.

Elisto looked up and down, before closing the locker door and making a beeline for the shuttle. He punched the keypad to seal the door, he knew insuing inferno wouldn't kill him but he wasn't one to take idle chances. Sadly this will make my job a whole lot harder, he said and glanced down at the containers that had been rummaged through.

Then he knelt down and waited.

A few minutes later the shuttlebay was engulfed in flames. Elisto could see them through the shuttle windows. The fire suppression systems did not engage as expected. The technicians in the Engineering room seeing the blaze feared for Elisto's safety and vented the shuttle bay to vacuum. In seconds the flames were extinguished. "Tereane-Hei, what's your status. Respond." came Burke's voice over the communicator.

Elisto let out a grumble as he waited for the bay to pressurize. "Seriously," he said with the shake of his head as he heard Burkes call.

"I'm fine, took cover in the shuttle before the inferno, sorry to worry you and not alert you to it," he sent back and then hit the keypad to open the shuttle doors.

"Was that fire related to the damage in the Engineering section? We are ready to restart the reactor. Just want to make sure there is not some other problem before we bring it up." Burke replied.

The shuttle door opened normally and the shuttle bay was darker than before. Due to several of the emergency lights being damaged by the fire.

Elisto looked out from the door and had to take a sigh. "No, it's unrelated. You should be fine restarting the reactor," he didn't bother to mention that the inferno could've killed, he figured Burke would figure that out on his own.

With that done, he left the shuttle to see if anything had survived the inferno.

The shuttle bay was fairly swept clear by the venting, and parts of the floor were scorched. One thing stood out though, a panel on the forward section of the shuttle bay floor was askew. It lead into the maintenance conduit that run under the deck.

Elisto exited the shuttle; taking a look around the bay before his eyes fell upon the broken piece of the floor, pulling his pistol out again he walked carefully over to it, just in case.

When he got near the metal he stopped and knelt down, placing his free hand on the jagged edges and taking a quick gander. Once more into the breach, he took in a deep breath and jumped down.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back