Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: YSS Aeon [Mission 5.0] Darkness and Ice

To Arkase, Kyoka simply greeted, "Welcome back, Juni. Loadout approved."

After that, she double-checked the loadouts of her teammates, (Or at least the ones who submitted them) and suited up.

With Kyoka's approval, Arkase excused himself from Haden and began equipping himself quickly. They were leaving soon, and he certainly wasn't going to be the last one to green-light.

Upon notification of the Taisa on deck Araan found himself bowing, before returning to his stance, checking over his choice of weaponry. Aether was a volatile material, already known for causing flames in condensed areas with flammable material, the use of the blade alone was a risk, but it may come a time where it was a risk worth having. Different tactical uses of the weapon ran through the man's head, but something stuck out to him suddenly, two things.

Foremost in his mind was that this was a largely non-military forum, or so it had seemed as Ise-Taisa explained the chatter they had been receiving, the NMX were using this planet for something besides a staging zone for a military operation. That alone made this an interesting mission to him, to take down an enemy's supply lines was one way to secure their inevitable defeat, and hopefully with any luck he'd get to see this entire miserable, frigid, rock go up in flames as they left.

"Heh, that'd be one to tell the kids." He thought aloud, keeping the rest of his thought process to himself.

The Nepleslians here probably knew what he meant.

Then with the commentary on an investigation his eyes shot over to person in question, pending military trial, possible tension among the teams. Not good. This quick assessment was all he spared to the matter, however, as he adjusted himself slightly, rotating his shoulders back after a moment of silent though.

The powder awaited.

Makoto and Takamori snapped to attention with precision honed from years of repetition. It was exactly like greeting a teacher in school. The Taisa, like any teacher in his or her classroom, was God-on-Earth within the confines of the ship. They bowed stiffly and formally.

Anything a Nepleslian could do, a Yamataian could do and make it look easy! Takamori refused to be outdone in rendering courtesy to the Taisa, despite the somewhat rocky ground he believed himself to be on. He had been one of those to bring charges against the Juni to the Taisa.

From behind his helmet, Makoto watched Ise-taisa and waited. It would be impolite to straighten without acknowledgment but Makoto believed it would also be a slight to them if the Taisa kept them waiting. "So, let's see whether this Taisa cares more about her subordinates or if its just talk, like the Red Lioness," Makoto thought, still watching Ise Katae.

The Nepleslian's mouth practically watered at Trowa's offer, "You good sir are a generous man." Elliot said in a rather happy tone.

"Ehm, excuse me. But that weapon is quite non-standart. Will that even damage armored targets? If we meet NMX we are likely to meet Rippers or maybe capturred Mindy or Daisy armours."

Elliot turned to the Neko, a slight smirk on his face, "And no doubt they'll have plenty of NMX nekos running around that need to get put down, something this." He hefted the MG-32 with both hands. "Is rather good at."

"Taisa on the Deck." The same voice that had said unmentionables sent a slight twitch down the Elliot's spine, but none the less he turned to face his new CO.

"Haden-Hei you are with the Science team. Get your load out and carried weapons approved by Tsubei-Heisho as she is in charge of the main team. Put that MG-32 back in the armory. At the outside temperature the lubricants will freeze and the weapon will malfunction."

"Ay- awwww" His face flashed with disappointment.

Still waiting on Kyoka, Arkase approached his new charge."Haden-hei? I've worked with Nepleslians before. You look like you'll prove as efficient and resourceful as Silic-san was on the Nadare."

"I'm in the firm belief that there is no problem on the battlefield that can't be solved with the proper application of high explosive," His disappoint draining away to reveal a slightly maniacal expression before Arkase excused himself to gear, Elliot merely nodded before turning on his heal and double timing it to the armory to dump his machine gun.

Saki bowed down deep as Katae walked into armor. She was already suited in her Mindy and asked one of the techies to wath over her Jacket whiel she was away. The jacked was very expensive after all.

Saki was waiting for Katae or relieve her from the bow and meanwhile she though that she was glad not to be in the same team as Arkase. It was also nice to hear that his war crime was not over looked and he is being investigated. Killing those prisoners would make them all as bad as NMX are. Saki could not even think of such thing.

Yoshiro was grabbing some SLAG ammo to complete his equipment selection when the Taisa came in. He bowed to the Taisa and waited for her to return the bow. He was anxious to get on the mission and kill some Mishnu but he had to wait until he was deployed.

Katae looked over at Saki, she gave a slight bow. "As you were Arai-Hei. Tsubei-Heisho, take them out when you are ready. May Chiharu watch over all of you." She called out and then walked to the back of the Armor bay so she could watch the departure.

-----------------------

Kim and Josea walked over to Arkase.

Kim looked at him, "Good to see that you are back on your feet Oshiro-Juni. I have to say I am curious as to what the NMX are doing out here. Once we find out, I will be equally ready to see that we stop them from whatever they are doing.

Gustav-San is coming with us, his Daisy has been weaponized, his only weaponry he is taking is those the SSS issued him."

The Yamataian looked at Arkase, "I have no delusions of grandeur, Ise-Taisa made it quite clear that at the first sign of combat I am to keep out of your way. I'll provide what assistance I can. If nothing else I can try to help spot the enemy for you with the Life Scanner."

Athena promptly walked over to her suit and begun to suit up once she had attached the butt pack. She attached her helmet to her suit, hearing the hiss of the seal. As it was the first time she was using the suit, she begun to perform a self diagnostic.

Makoto approached the Elysian medic. "Honda Makoto," he introduced himself, "I was acting medic on the last mission. Wanted to ask you what you're bringing along in case we run into trouble. I've only got a Type 32 First Aid Kit and some Utility Goo for mending holes in armor. One thing we really could have used last mission was an Emergency Hemosynth Container or at least Droksin, Niskord to deal with blood loss. Bandages are useless in a toxic atmosphere since we can't open armor. I'm not as highly trained as you... or at least, I assume I'm not."

He needed to know right now how good she was and how much she had thought through. A methane atmosphere was probably toxic to them even with their enhanced bodies, especially if exposed for a long period of time.

-----------------

Takamori joined Saki and spoke up, "Well, all of our equipment will explode in methane given the right circumstances. Same with the NMX since they're using copies of our stuff. It all depends on the density of the methane. If its a majority methane atmosphere, it'll just be a toxic cloud that we can't see a meter beyond, let alone shoot anything. If it's mixed with a large amount of inert gases, like Nitrogen, then I doubt we'd be blowing ourselves up. Worst case scenario, we use gauss cannons."

Trowa had been standing to the side listening to the various conversations going on running over some details in his head for some time now. When you factored in NMX buggers, explosive methane atmosphere, weapons that will ignite said atmosphere and more NMX buggers, Trowa kept coming to the same conclusion. “We’re screwed.”

Trowa opened up a channel to the Taisa. “Excuse me Ma’am. I have a quick question. Forgive me for asking, it’s defiantly the Nepleslian pilot side of me who likes to see massive explosions from the bridge of a ship, but if we know that the NMX are there, and we want to destroy them, and the atmosphere is so explosive, why don’t we just fire the Aeon’s main guns. Be like a spark to a gas leak. Boom! No more NMX. Why are we sending a team down? Is there more at stake here then just blowing up their bace?”

Elliot was back a few moments later, minus a machine gun. He soon found himself climbing into the machine assigned to him, he made no modifications, merely sticking to whatever load out the machine had mounted on it. Following orders he sent the suit's status information in a data packet to the science team's commander before running down his own diagnostics.

At least until he caught a wiff of the conversation over the planetary atmosphere's methane content, the explosive gas under his area of expertise. He tossed his own opinion into the mix, "Actually, unless you have a decent free bit of O2 in that mixture you won't get a spark, no oxygen to burn means no flame and from the sound of this rock its all frozen to the ground."

Katae looked at Trowa, "While I too like the prospect of destroying whatever this NMX installation is. Part of our mission is to identify locations that the enemy has, and their purpose. By identifying the site, we provide valuable Intel that can be used to help identify other installations when found.

If we did as you suggested, what would I put in my report. I am not about to say, well the terrain was dangerous so I just decided to blow it up without investigating."

Trowa smiled, “That’s why you’re the Taisa. Cuts right to the heart of the matter and sees the big picture. Course, it would cut down on the paperwork.” The Nepleslian pilot returned his Gauss Bazooka to the racks since it was too great a hazard to fire on the ground with all the gas pockets. He was ready to go.

"Taisa, I do have some concerns I would like to express about this," Kyoka asked the woman, suited up minus a helmet. "This is all just guesswork, but since the NMX are at least well equipped with sensors, then they would know that this planet is all one big explosion waiting to happen. And if they were to know all this and still put a facility on the surface, would it at all be possible that they. . . er. . . rigged it to explode it when somebody enters? What I'm trying to ask is, what if it's a trap?"

Katae listened to Kyoka's concern.

"I understand your concerns. However, actually I see it very differently. As you said they have to know the risk of operating here. So whatever they are doing here it has to be extremely important to them to warrant taking such a risk.

I for one want to know what they are doing. But you have a right to be cautious. When you get near the facility. You should look out for any traps, as you said this planet's surface is volatile. A small charge with a trigger could trigger a much larger detonation."

Athena looked at Makoto for a few moments, putting up her index finger while she waited for the last systems in her suit to check green. Once she got the last system statuses, she took off her helmet.

"I have the contents of two Type 31C Medical Kits and a Type 32 Trauma Kit in the buttpack. Both have a half litter of Hemosynthetic material. Provided there is not a heavy gunfight, it should be enough. But you have me at a disadvantage... Utility Goo?" Athena responded back. "I am trained on using Molecure Tape from CASTER tape dispensers to seal powered armor."

"Yeah... I'd plan for intense firefights. Better too much than too little. The NMX don't exactly do things by halves. And yes, utility goo. Easier, to me, to apply and just as fast to work. Plus it can double as a quick-fix sealing tool for wounds. Apply and let it work."

Makoto looked at the Elysian. "You've not been in combat, have you?" he asked. "Leaving your left shoulder mount unused is a waste. You might as well take a shield projector if you don't already have one."

Saki put on her helmet and walked to Kyoka. All this talking about exploding planetes was not making her very happy. Sheh ad two gauss cannons which was good and her LASR was also projectile weapon but it still made her nervous.

"Ehh. Tsubei-heisho?" She telepathically contacted Kyoka. "Should I fetch my sword from my room? It would be very very safe." She asked. Dumb question, but who knows it might be useful.

"That is already covered my friend. This is a M10 paladin core. Shield projector is built into the right shoulder and there are cloak projectors built into the wings." Athena said as she leaned over and flexed her wings forward in order to point them out. "Even has the knee and elbow vibroblades built-in." She smiled when she mentioned that.

"As for the utility goo, you will have to show me how to use that after this mission. But until then, I will leave you as the subject matter expert in using it. I'll stick to the caster tape." She said as she pulled out an dispenser from the nearby tool locker.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back