• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Eucharis [Mission 7.2] Sorting It Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
When he heard his name being called Ramiro turned his head to see Tasuka heading his way. He looked back forward to Konoka, "Hold that thought, I'll be there in a second." Ramiro turned back towards Tasuka and bowed in return. "Of course Yarani-Hei, what seems to be the problem?"

Sune pondered Hanako's offer. It is quite a puzzle she has tossed metophorically into my lap. And it is a way to be of more use. "That sounds like a most challenging puzzle to solve Taisa. But I accept, I love challenges. With your permission while we are here in Kyoto I will contact the Scientific Studies Service, and request that they provide me with whatever findings they have made. So that I may continue our investigation in parallel with theirs once we are on board. There are still some aspects of those Armadillidiidae that bother me. We still do not understand the Mishhuvurthyar purpose to them." Sune bowed again to Hanako, "Thank you again ma'am."

Darnell watched the sun rise a bit further and then found himself bored. He vaulted over the edge of the railing again and strolled back to where he had eaten meals before. He was directed elsewhere, and went there instead, vaguely hungry. He saw the crew he had yesterday and understood that the Star Army was treating him like a part of this crew now.

He came in quietly as he always did and caught some snippets of conversation. He heard his name and tuned in and then realized the Captain was offering a position in science to the medic. This struck Darnell as an extremely bad idea, not insofar as he didn't want a mentor but insofar as he didn't want anyone in the Science department who wasn't a scientist.

He waited until the man had said his piece and then walked over to the Captain and bowed, and said, "Taisa, I could not help but overhear the conversation. If you would deign to allow me to comment on the Heisho transferring to Star Army Science?"

The Taii folded her hands on the table when Junko took her seat. She glanced at the rest of the room again, as if considering something, before returning her attention to the two enlisted who had joined her this morning.

"I would like to know what happened, yesterday."

"Very well," Hanako told Darnell, wondering what the scientist had been up to.

Darnell paused for a moment, and then said, "I cannot think of how to say this any way but frankly. I find the idea of transferring anyone into Star Army Science without a significant amount of training a monumentally bad idea. Star Army Science personnel are, by definition, in the business of knowing and using that knowledge to advise the captain on the minutiae of the universe that the captain or anyone else on the crew cannot be reasonably expected to know, and applying that knowledge in the field when necessary. It took me two years to become this repository of knowledge, one of which was dedicated solely to making me so."

"Since the Heisho is not a member of Star Army Science, I doubt he has this knowledge. These are not skills that can be gained in any way but through years of thorough training and that hold very little overlap with other professions. And these are skills that the most basic Star Army Science personnel are expected to have as a starting point. If you believe me inexperienced, I understand, but would request you find me a superior who has had the benefit of Star Army training and understands what I mean when I say that we should excite something using one MeV from the base state and de-excite by a e plus e negative paired emission."

He bowed and said, "I would ask you reconsider, Taisa, and apologize for my overly long and brash speech."

Junko swallowed hard and straightened her posture, both subconsciously. She opened her mouth to speak, but had to close it again after a moment of indecision over what actually to say. Running through her recollection of the battle, she finally decided there was no real starting point and that saying anything was better than keeping the Taii waiting. "Well, ma'am," she began. "I don't know if there was anything specific about the course of events you wanted to discuss, but generally speaking things were a mess, at least from my perspective. In my opinion it was largely luck that got us through the engagement, from an engineering stand-point. We simply could not deal with much greater damage and have any hope of performing the necessary damage control in a timely fashion, ma'am." Junko stopped herself short of saying more. She still wasn't quite sure what the Taii was after, and exposing herself to censure over unsolicited opinions was not on her list of things to do.

"While out this morning I noticed that somehow I had about 5000 KS more than I had last I checked, when I looked into it it was listed as an anonymous deposit on my personal account, most everyone I know probably still thinks I'm dead, so... you wouldn't have heard anything about this would you?" Tasuku asked Ramiro, as he scratched his head quizzically, he hopped the Heisho might be able to clear up the source of the mystery money.

Sune waited for Darnell to finish then he spoke. "It would appear that during Carlisle-Santô Hei’s training he failed to learn one important lesson. Always check your facts. While it is true that I currently wear the Teal panels of Medical; until recently, Science and Medical were in fact a single career in the Star Army of Yamatai. It is in fact only recently that they were split into to separate careers. So during my training I received the same core science training as he, and then as part of my medical specialization was required training in biology, astrobiology, chemistry, physiology, hematology, pharmacology, radiology, botany and psychology. All of which are Sciences.”

Hanako tried not to smile too much as, with great pleasure, she watched Sune coolly demolish Darnell's objections. Nice.

"Let us consider the matter settled, then," she said. "Meet your new boss, Carlisle-Santô Hei. I hope that as you two serve on the Euchairs, you will develop a constructive and creative partnership."

"Let me know if you need anything ordered for the science department before we depart for our next mission," Hanako told Jalen, "aside from new uniform jackets, or course."

Nika listened to Junko's reply to Shizu; half her mind was wandering what she could do if she could not get back to the Royal Household, the other half was already going through the proceedings from the previous event.

"I agree with Takeda-Heisho as well...Lady Luck really helped us back then." Nika continued, her hand now cupping her tea, "I did suggest before that every crew member was suppose to take initiatives. However, during the battle, it seemed like initiiatives were thrown out of the windows and everyone expected our Taisa to make decisions..." She looked down at her tea and sighed.

"I don't blame her for making several drastic decisions, but everyone were under extreme stress..." The neko placed her tea back on the table, finishing her report.

Darnell wasn't pleased that the retort began with what amounted to an insult, but Darnell remained calm and said, "I am aware they recently split Science and Medical and I believe they did so for a reason, because they are separate. Because the skills that need are different. And those are all biological sciences, a very limited portion of what you need to know."

Then the Captain decided to put them together anyway, and he bowed saying, "My objections have not been satisfied but I obey, as always." He turned and bowed to Sune and said, "Heisho, seeing as you are my superior I have some equations I need you to check over. They are fairly simple, although beyond the scope of algebra and trigonometry."

Darnell couldn't say he wasn't hoping Sune would have to admit he didn't know, but it was also something that was common. Scientists went over other's equations to check the results. And he needed the feedback regardless.

Sune considered Darnell's request. “Carlisle-Hei having diverse skills within the Science section of the ship will undoubtedly enable us to solve whatever challenge comes our way. Each of us brings a unique set of skills and perspective. I look forward to working with you.”

Sune turned to Hanako bowed, “We shall work on a list of equipment for your approval Taisa.”

Turning back to Darnell he said, "Technically we are on shore leave. However provide me with the relevant background information along with these equations. I will review them to the best of my ability. After which we should probably review what resources we have available on the Eucharis and what we think would be good additions.”

Ramiro's mind raced through possibilities for a moment until he came up with several conclusions. "Well Yarani, if you're looking for the source I can assure you that it isn't me. If you are looking for my best guess I would try pointing to someone who was on the away mission with you, as that is were you have spent the majority of the time in space since joining this crew, and wants to anonymously give you a bonus. Potentially the Taii or Jalen-Heisho. If you are looking for the reason that the person has done so, I haven't the slightest idea, although it may just be high command giving you compensation for leaving you stranded in the middle of nowhere for so long." Ramiro hoped that his answer would suffice, but just in case it didn't he added, "Is there anything else?"

Mikael couldn't help but pay some attention to the discussion between Darnell, the captain, and some other male he did not know. It was a welcome break to his normal thought processes since meeting the crew for the first time yesterday. He debated with himself wither to make himself more known to everyone by either popping over to where Darnell was or to the other groups of new crewmates.

But then he realizes he doesn't know the first thing about anything the science boys and girls know, so he had no business going over there. And he was an outsider to the rest, so he had no business disturbing them either. Realizing he pretty much exhausted all his current options, he just sighed to himself and slumped a little more into his seat as he slowly finished the rest of his breakfast. "This is going to be a long tour of duty." He thought to himself.

Konoka, standing halfway between an akward conversation in progress and a welcoming one she desperately wanted to start, she tapped Ramiro on the shoulder saying, "Valencia-Hei, if there's nothing more you two need to discuss, I'd really like your help rolling out the welcome wagon for that poor infantryman over there.....Unless I should go on ahead?"
She blinked cautiously, hoping she hadn't butted her head in at the wrong time. Skipping in a slow circle, jittery in anticpation of opening her big mouth to do the whole 'happy-friendly welcoming' thing she so enjoyed, she tripped on her other foot, nearly but just missing crashing into Ramiro. Oh well....There were new friends to be made! "Sorry....Are you too busy then?"

Ramiro was about to turn and tell Konoka that he'd just be a second when he instinctively caught her before she could hit the ground. "Well Yarani-Hei I'd best be going. Seems a good idea to help Miyazawa-Hei here before she falls and hurts that pretty little face of hers. If you have any further questions we will have all day to talk. Until then I bid you good day." With that he turned back to Konoka as and motioned for her to go in front of him. "Shall we?"

"Yeah thats all, eh... good luck with that Heisho... thanks...", Tasuku said looking at the pair with a look of mildly confused dissatisfaction.

...and they let must her into the medical lab too... I'd better not ever get injured... he thought to himself. Seeing the little neko constantly tripping over herself did very little to instill a sense of confidence in her professional ability for Tasuku.

Tasuku sighed, but still amused himself with the train of thought while looking about the room.

I really hope my career in starship operations never includes babysitting children; Valencia seems suited to the job however.... He laughed a little inside but he quickly shook off the thought and tried to get back to the business at hand.

Well Sune is medical, and I've seen enough from that department... so Hamada-Taii then...

Tasuku walked over to the Shizu's table a bowed deeply toward her.
"Sumimasen, Hamada-Taii", was all he said as he waited there for the Taii to finish whatever business she had, and then acknowledge him.

Next, Hanako joined Mikael. Standing over him and his empty plate, the Taisa grinned. "What are your plans for today?" she asked, her big golden eyes looking into his.

Darnell managed to suppress a scoff so completely there was no sign of it. The Heisho was bringing no scientific skills at all in his opinion. Darnell considered this politics pure and simple. The Captain wanted to fast track someone she liked so she put him in a position where advancement would be more forthcoming, disregarding actual aptitude. And Darnell was expected to do the legwork to push him upward.

Darnell said to Sune, after his request for the relevant information, "It's fairly simple. One is a differential equation, I found something that doesn't appear to conform to Schroedinger's equation, although it is a basic case. It's probably wrong but I don't see the mistake. The other deals with magnetic fields, mostly standard equations. I think they are correct but they still need to be checked." He paused and said in that tone that said what came next should be a formality, "If you don't know them, they're all textbook equations and can be found there."

Darnell bowed and took some food and began to eat. As he did he took out a small pen and opened a napkin and began writing on it. He seemed more preoccupied with the napkin than with eating. He was done eating extremely quickly but continued working something on the napkin, taking another one and continuing, and then a third. Then he shook his head as if disappointed and pocketed the napkins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back