• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

[NAM] Negative Energy Recoil Drive

Should this be approved?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the spirit of Kotori: *headdesk*

Uso, you're coming from the same place you always come from -- if the tech is sound, it should be approved.

I think Osaka, and others, are looking at it from an OOC perspective as well -- Lord knows I am because I don't get what the fuck this science all means. That in itself isn't a good sign for approval, but I'm not scientific at all, so no argument from there.

There's a balance in the RP right now. It's in favor of Yamatai and the SMX because those are the two warring states. If everyone else here is correct, and I don't know they are for sure, then what you propose upends this balance.

I'm glad you don't like Yamatai. That's a good motivation. But this feels like the equivelant of flipping the chessboard off the table and saying you can do that because its in the rules.

I'm recommending non-approval until that issue can be sorted out.

This is hardly a balance altering submission. The only really new thing being brought to the table are shearing weapons. Everything else either already exists in the RP or already exists as far as game play is concerned.

You said in a previous post that most of the stuff you're talking about hadn't been done before in the RP. I'm lost.

I don't believe anyone has used metamaterials previously though stealth tech does exist. Tachyons haven't been used as a drive system on other people's ships before but drive systems that do all the same things that this one does do exist.

Shearing weapons are new, but they shouldn't go un-approved based on how Wes has reacted to my prior submission of a similar weapon system.

I believe I've fully addressed the issue of ‘it works' and now I must address the issue of ‘it works, but that's why it won't be approved.' What is the point of making new tech if we are barred from making tech that is any advancement what-so-ever from stuff that has been made previously?

I've just gone through and had some talks with Uso.

It's not the super-beats-everything thing I worried it'd be but infact a general purpose device for conjuring up negative energy and controlling it.

While one drive isn't near all powerful, four or five make a compitent system but traditional systems will still need to be in place alongside these (for example, the gravity system has poor acceleration unless jumping in and out of FTL speeds but high a consistancy).

Provided not everyone copies this system and some more applications are explored, this could be as big to the SARP's technology as the computer was to number crunching.

The number of possible implementations are almost endless.

You still need to explain what the hell the metamaterials are. Just calling them meta materials or "Glaze" is not going to help.

(meta material) is a material that gains its properties from its structure rather than directly from its composition. This term is particularly used when the material has properties not found in naturally-formed substances. Metamaterials are of particular importance in electromagnetism (especially optics and photonics), where metamaterials are promising for a variety of optical and microwave applications, such as new types of beam steerers, modulators, band-pass filters, lenses, microwave couplers, and antenna radomes.
-Wikipedia on Metamaterials

It's a term used for any material which has an unusual affect in terms of electromagnetism. These are the key materials used in any complex operations on the electromagnetic spectrum with any given wave.

I think.

I do belive OsakanOne has nailed it.

Sadly, this belongs in the metamaterial thread not the drive thread.

Edit: And I'll be editing it soon to add in his suggestions on formating and device discription.

Looks good.

Now that I think about this, I can see it being used to control a large hollow humanoid frame.

You'd have one hell of both an iconic and capable machine.

I've got a better question. Is Wazu actually skilled in the areas needed for these tech submissions in the first place?

I mean all the things Wazu's made have had very varied fields of specialization needed for their work. More so this Tachyon stuff, since we're dealing with a theoretical particle that hasn't been proven or denied yet.

Also, Tachyon's aren't capable of being used for communication, the article Uso posted stated as such.

Is he capable? Yes

Can Tachyons be used for communication, Yes. The article in question can't really be considered accurate when dealing with issues of time travel because of the slavish devotion to avoiding the weirdness of causality.

As both, precognition, and tachyons as a medium of communication are already approved technologies the question of if they can be used for communication shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: A few minor edits made. Is this approvable as is?

So, you're saying Causality can be ignored? That's laudable.

And technically, by a Bio standpoint, he isn't. He's missing all the skills required to use these theoretical mediums.

Don't put words in my mouth please. Causality is still in play for this and like I've said previously all the technology and physics for this have already been approved for use in this RP setting. There should be nothing to debate about this.

And from a Bio standpoint, he is. You'd have to read the previous Bios.

I'm not putting words in your mouth dammit. I'm interpreting what you said.

Can Tachyons be used for communication, Yes. The article in question can't really be considered accurate when dealing with issues of time travel because of the slavish devotion to avoiding the weirdness of causality.

And just so We're clear on something here...

Wikipedia article used as proof said:
Tachyons are prevented from violating causality by the Feinberg reinterpretation principle, which states that a negative-energy tachyon sent back in time in an attempt to violate causality can always be reinterpreted as a positive-energy tachyon traveling forward in time.

This is because observers cannot distinguish between the emission and absorption of tachyons. For a tachyon there is no distinction between the processes of emission and absorption, since there always exists a sub-light velocity reference frame shift that alters the temporal direction of the tachyon's world-line, which is not true for bradyons or photons.

The attempt to detect a tachyon from the future (and violate causality) actually creates the same tachyon and sends it forward in time (which is causal). A tachyon detector will seem to register tachyons in every possible detection model; in reality the tachyon "detector" is spontaneously emitting tachyons.

The effect of the reinterpretation principle on any tachyon "detector" is that any incoming tachyonic message would be lost against the tachyon background noise, which is an inevitable accompaniment of the uncontrollable emission.

The counter intuitive conclusion is that tachyons (if they existed) could be used to transmit energy-momentum, but they can't be used for communication. Thus there is no need to fall back on some quantum field theory form of the Novikov self-consistency principle to preserve causality.

Also, the pervious Bios can go sit on a fence. Wazu needs a Bio made in this system. And sofar he only has four skills that barely even amount to him being a designer.

The standard interpritation is that time travel can not occur unless the event which caused the event which happens that causes the time travel occurs after the new series of events starts. Causality can be maintained simply by sending the message that was sent back. The Causality model that is usually used is flawed in that respect as it does not account for being able to send infromation back and then send the infromation back again. There is also the issue of only one detector/emittor being used. For a usable processing system to be used infromation must be imparted in one place and recovered in another. Causality is maintained.

Ontop of this Tachyon as a carrier of infromation are already used. It is in other submissions which have been used in RP. As such using tachyons as a carrier of infromation should not be up for debate unless we are talking about writing out the tech from the site.

I would also like to point out that I never said causality could be ignored. you said that.

Again, I would like to ask if this is approvable as is?

We reserve the right to deny unnecessary, redundant tech like new "Total Annihilation" weapons.

That is what was originally written in at top of this forum. The no new stuff alltogether rule was just added today and is insanely unfair but I won't go into that here.

I will counter that by saying that there is no reason to discount this device. The generic warp drive through collapsing/expanding space is not a new type of FTL, The weapon is not a superweapon, and new armors are not used in this submission (though metamaterials have their own thread right now).

Yes, the increased clarification on the wiki version is a result of the drama that recently occured. It's nothing new, though -- I've had the notice about the technology plateau and redundant powerful stuff up for months.

I think that this drive system falls under that category.

According to the Wiki, the wiki stuff was added today. Previously the text was

We reserve the right to deny unnecessary, redundant tech like new "Total Annihilation" weapons.

Unless I missed something. As for the drive system its a new way of doing some of the same stuff but without it Nepleslia can never develop its own ships as it now must exclusively rely on the NDI for technology because they have been barred from developing their own.

The new rule effectively kills the tech forum.

I believe Cora's mention of Wazu's lack of up to date biography is justified. I'd recommend you go over it and then ask Wes to approve it.

Otherwise, nothing forces you from striking his name from the designs and just saying NAM did it on its own (you certainly don't see Kotori's name on the Miharu's specs).

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back