• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

[NAM] Negative Energy Recoil Drive

Should this be approved?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the point if new tech can't be developed anyways? Nam no longer has any reason to exsist.

Damn, Uso, you're being so damn unrealistic - in all honesty, the need to create entire new propulsion, armor, and superweapon technologies is nonexistant. Now refinements of existing technology are one thing, but at a certain point, creating brand new technologies that serve the same purpose violates the principle of Occam's Razor.

When faced with a problem, the simplest solution is the best.

That's Occam's razor. Sine you keep on trying to make Swiss army energy fields that encompass travel, weapons, defense, communications, gravity, energy, and NOW computation. You're making something too needlessly complex. How the hell is a single energy field supposed to do all that?

This is covered in the device discription. Generating negative energy is the key component of all of the functions so combining them into one device is the logical thing to do. It creates the simplest solution to a series of problems.

Like I said Occam's Razor is about making the least number of assumptions and I belive I have done a good job at that unless you want to point out some place where I could wipe out an assumption with clearer text discribing what the device does.

As it is you aren't writting anything that I can use to improve this device Cora.

You just never give up. ~_~

Propulsion is provided by projecting negative energy out of the front of the engines. By pushing against the negative mass the craft is drawn forward. The negative mass particles are generated moving faster than the speed of light which allows for a small amount of them to move a large conventional mass.

This need further clarification, since it's a jumbled mess of confusion. How can projecting something with a negative spin pull anything?

In addition to conventional STL propulsion the manipulation of negative energy allows the ship to hide itself in its own bubble of space time. The engines then expand the space behind the bubbles while at the same time shrinking the space in front of the bubbles to move the ship at many times the speed of light. Because of the unique mounting system for the engines they can be almost instantly pointed in a new direction, allowing the ship to not need to be pointed forward in order to move ‘forward'.

In other words, this Negative drive used conventional Spacial warps to move the ship. REDUNDENT

The FTL system is also capable of extending itself to generate shearing effects at a distance. The bubble's maximum expansion speed is about equal to the FTL speed of the engines minus the space inside of the bubble.

Further clarification is needed for this as well, you gave no hard numbers for the distance this bubble can reach, nor the speed the field can accelerate anything.

Defensive measures are provided by the shearing effect of the FTL bubble, which serves to shear mass heading toward the ship or refract energy waves away or around the bubble. The drawbacks of this system is that energy beams entering the bubble are accelerated when the space inside the bubble is moving at a faster rate relative to the outside space. This increases the wavelengths of the energy making it more penetrating. It is not recommended to be inside of the bubble without some form of protection. This effect also provides some protection against matter copying through entanglement based teleportation by refracting the carrier medium of entanglement.

Just about every ship in the SARP uses energy weapons, and as we all know, Energy has no actual mass. Also, explain how the field can "refract" energy wavelengths.

By manipulating negative mass three different types of sensor can be emulated. Generating a burst of negative energy and then comparing the speed and amount of negative energy that returns to the engines acts as a basic form of tachyon sonar that allows for detection of anything that reacts with negative energy.

... ... ... Right...

Manipulation of negative energy also allows for control of gravitational fields. The analysis of the gravitational fields created by the ship allows for the detection of other gravitational fields that are interacting with those created by the system.

... ... ...

Finally, the FTL bubble can be extended with its space moving at the same rate as the outside space. Because energy consumption of the bubble dramatically increases when gravity inside the bubble increases, an expanding FTL bubble can be used to detect the location and size of masses within the range of the bubble.

Um, clarify if I get this wrong, but isn't the bubble used for it's Shearing effect? Wouldn't using it for detection be counter intuitive because of it's use as a weapon?

Saying this is a jumbled mess, then saying ... isn't saying anything at all.

Generating a bubble in this fashion has many uses. That is the reason for this device. I asked if 1 AU was acceptable and I got no responce from anyone.

If something is moving faster in one area as opposed to another then anything passing through that boundry gets refracted. Thats how refraction works.

How exactly is the FTL drive redundent? Haven't you only proved that this isn't a new method of reaching FTL speeds?

Edit: I've added a number limit to the weapon's range.

According to other threads previously used concepts are approvable tech reguardless of what the rules actually say. As this is a previously used method of creating FTL effects I would like to then ask what is keeping this from being approved?

:!: Until further notice, submissions of new FTL propulsion methods, armor materials, and superweapons will not be accepted.

Updates for clarity made. Links for infromation on most of the stuff have been added and the language has been changed to try and reflect that the core of the device generates the tachyons/negative energy and that it has been combined with various types of filters and sensors to create the remaining effects.

I understand the 'negative out of front pulls it forward' thing... I think.

Basically, what he's saying, is that it creates... like.... a vortex in front of the thing that the ship moves forward into to occupy...?

If that helps you visualise it then sure.

A rocket engine pushes positive mass particles out the back. Because every actions has an equal and opposite reaction the less massive particles moving at high speeds will accelerate the larger mass rocket.

Tachyon recoil pushes negative mass particles out the front. Because every action has an equal and opposite reaction the recoil pulls the craft forward, kinda like subtracting a negative number. Tachyons have negative mass so they exsist on the other side of the speed of light barrier so they are moving many times faster than a positive mass particle being pushed by a rocket engine. Because of this less are required to accelerate a mass at the same rate as a rocket type engine.

You mean all this fuss was over something that would basically do the same result as a gravimetric engine (as in a controlled fall in one direction)?

As far as STL goes it is more like a rocket engine rather than a gravity drive. If you want to continue that analogy then it is like a rocket engine that uses its drive thrust to power other systems.

But basically yeah, same end result as a gravimetric engine. Things go forward.

Then speaking as a scientific Philistine, this is basically a way to create energy that doesn't A) rely on aether or B) anything else that's already canon.

I'm not saying that's bad. But I want to make sure that's all this is.

Tachyons and Negative Energy are already canon as far as SA goes.

But basically yes.

In one form or another it should be used in the CDD from what I understand of it. It is used in certain artificial gravity systems, typically the Qel'noran ones. It is also used in most if not all KFY ships in the form of tachyon communications.

Edit: I know I've asked this ad nausium but is there anything keeping this submission from being approved?

Not that I'm being a bother, but I've noticed you're defenses have changed Uso.

Before you'd wave the "Suspention of Disbelif" around like it was a white flag.

Now, you're using "In Canon use" as a new buffer. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back