• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

New Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
The switch to XenForo went successfully and the forums and are open again. There's a lot of stuff I'm still working on over the next few days.

1. Styles: I have to build a Star Army style that works in XenForo so our forum will look like Star Army again.
2. Permissions - I need to set up usergroups. Until I do, the 18+ forums are hidden.
3. Merge duplicate forums - with the old forums now back in action, we have some doubles that need to have the posts moved out so I can delete them.

Please be patient as I continue to work through this.

Can not delete PM's
Feeds like this are broken https://stararmy.com/roleplay/feed.php?f=63
Unable to make text bold, italics etc. Features that we used often on the old. Even manually putting the bb values makes no difference.
Unable to log into the Admin panel.

Last edited:
^ this. It also affects the password/username field.

Also when posting quick reply, the bottom of the field slowly sinks with every letter I type.

The responsive layout on mobile phones seems to be absent. I aappear to be having problems writing this message from my phone too. I miss it.

Sorry about this, but I'm going to make the vanilla template the default until I can work out the kinks in the Star Army one.

Sure you know this, but the banners for the forums that have them are not appearing, but the coding is.

Okay, did some searching XenForo has no delete command for conversations.

Remove yourself from the conversation, and once everyone has left the conversation. The conversation is them automatically deleted.

While I visually prefer the dark-style forum, presently its near impossible to see what one is writing for a post in that style because the text is obscured by the yellow/white background that is present when one is typing typing.

Also, there is no 'View Active topics' button. The view new posts button won't show threads that I am the most reacent author in, and also will not show posts from some of the forums for some reason (the starlight lounge is one of these forums)

Also, there is no 'View Active topics' button. The view new posts button won't show threads that I am the most reacent author in, and also will not show posts from some of the forums for some reason (the starlight lounge is one of these forums)
I checked and the forum is enabled for the New Posts feed, which is basically Active Topics. If you bookmarked the New Posts page, that could cause new posts not to appear if the bookmark has the search number at the end (I made this mistake with my wiki home page). To correct this, use the raw search link https://stararmy.com/roleplay-forum/index.php?find-new/posts

While I visually prefer the dark-style forum, presently its near impossible to see what one is writing for a post in that style because the text is obscured by the yellow/white background that is present when one is typing typing.
The box has a black background on Firefox. What browser are you using?

I generally use IE for most things, though I have the other as well. If that's the case, it's simple enough to switch when using this site though :D

Luca actually pointed out to me that on the new posts page, on the upper right hand side there is a small link that takes you to the 'Recent posts' search. New posts and Recent posts are two different beasts, but now that I've figured it out, I'm satisfied.

How do you guys like the new Ghost Nebula and Emerald Nebula styles?

Overall I like them, but when someone uses the
Code:
for sending messages its pretty hard to read it. Also the posting dialog box in the Emerald color scheme really clashes.

Code:
Itto Heisho Takeda Junko

Thank you. I'm not sure when that will be. I am considering my leave options and at this time they may lead me away for a bit of time. I am sure that once I do return to the ship I will be more then welcome to give you any time you require.

Nito Heisho Misato Suzume

The styles are getting better, though I still think the contrasts between colors could use some help. I use Emerald Nebula right now and notice that the visibility of the sub-entries for "Forum, Members"(things like "Mark Forums read", "Search forums", etc...) could use some tweaking.

The "Home, About Us, Roleplay Forums, Wiki" links in the header are starting to feel pretty dated in comparison to the XenForo forum look. Perhaps those links ought to be integrated next to the two links (Forums, Members) under the Star Army logo?

Arguably, there's not much use in keepin the "Home" link around. I mean, it's an okay webpage for people that arrive directly to www.stararmy.com but other than that there's next to no benefit to the usual user to have a link around that'd return him there.

Why is there a "Report: 0" thingie to the upper-left? Do we need it? If so, could it instead go in the right-side sidebar instead?

The most 'offensive' change I've seen of late is the newsreel. It might just be just due to the awful coloring/contrasts it has... but it stinks of publicity I expect to see on Free-to-Play game and websites that give ads to people that don't subscribe. I get why the admin would feel motivated in reminding people to like on twitter and facebook, to donate and such - but I really don't like that "here's recent site newsand things-Wes-wants-promoted RIGHT IN YOUR FACE" change.

The Dark (Mobile friendly) theme seems to be the quickest and easiest to navigate, but seeing white text on BLACK is a little hard to keep reading. I guess the old "deep Navy blue" worked better for me.

I like the nebula themes, but they're a little slower. If the text panels were more opaque, they'd be easier to read too.

Also — can I have shift+return back? It's kind of a habit for me outside of newswriting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back