• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

New Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fred when I looked into the firefox problem for you I found that it seems you are not alone. Some people who use the latest version of Firefox are reporting problems with slow-downs involving Xenforo. Browers such as IE, Opera, and a few others aren't experiencing slowdowns. My suggest is that until this problem is fixed (which I can't say whether its a browser problem or a forum problem) you might want to use a different browser for Sarpy browsing for the time being.
Interesting. I haven't had issues on FF, but then again my laptop is well-equipped in the graphics area. In order to combat the slowdowns I'm going to make sure there are different levels of templates (nebula being the high-end but graphically intensive ones and the StarArmyBlack one being the faster-running one so far).

Notices: *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* ...and all gone and they stay gone.
Seriously, they were everywhere and didn't go away, whether on the main page, or in any threads. I'd click X on all the notices on the main page, and they'd be back on the next thread I'd access, and also back on the main page when I'd return there too. But... it doesn't do that anymore.
Meaning that if this works as designed, it'll pop up on new announcements, I'll read it, then probably click X and it'll vanish and leave me alone?
Well, whatever you did, it's apparently working the same for me as for everyone else. I can see why people didn't see why my objection was not such a big deal - though I'm not sure what you did that solved the problem only I had. Technology is wierd sometimes.

edit: whoa, the avatar thing seems to come back on occasion, though.

Wiki home page: Ah.
Um. Thanks.
Wouldn't it have been more effective to create a "Recent Posts" link with this URL ( https://stararmy.com/roleplay-forum/index.php?find-new/posts&recent=1 ) next to the others so this might have been solved for everyone, though?

Different browsers: But FireFox is cute, and fluffy, and cuddly, and does cool stuff like not letting bothersome things annoy me while not annoying me back in turn!

PM/Convos: ...I'd need to pester you everytime I wanted a usergroup PM sent? *cringes*
Maybe this is just stating the obvious, but wouldn't it be possible to have Game Master instead be very weak admins with not all the powers/permissions?
Oh, wait, I know! Doshii is, somehow, an admin too. I don't mind pestering him as much, as I know he is a follower of the Doctrine "Fred is the Boss, All Hail Fred".
(the only way to save Doshii is to give me the admin powers I crave, mwuahahahahaha!)

No avatars: If that function could be implemented, I'd take it.
After all, I don't want to overburden my worshippers with a dazzingly fabulous avatar on top of the four singular Letters Of Powers in my name.
I'm not that mean.

I don't have admin powers. I think "administrator" is just the default title for global mods.

One thing I've noticed in terms of readability: the nice thing about the phpBB forums was that the center column was narrow, allowing for easy reading. Here, it's based on window width, and it makes for some pretty wide lines of text if you don't manipulate the window.

Is there any way to address that? Maybe make the column width fixed instead of based on window?

Something else I've noticed is that some fields in Star Army Dark (choosing a conversation partner, and a conversation title) come up as these really bright yellow fields where I can't read the white text. Is that something we can change?

Last edited:
Originally I wanted to use the Flexile theme as a nice fixed-width option but apparently it isn't udapated to support our version of the forum software (That's why it was so messed up when I briefly installed it after the forum move). I'm open to suggestions for a suitable theme that supports Xenforo 1.2.3.

One thing I've noticed in terms of readability: the nice thing about the phpBB forums was that the center column was narrow, allowing for easy reading. Here, it's based on window width, and it makes for some pretty wide lines of text if you don't manipulate the window.

I want to add, as owner of computers with widescreen displays, that I've also felt similarily. I wouldn't know of any fixes, but my comparison my eyes feel more comfortable browsing a site like Startrekonline.com (note the significantly narrower news columns/forum width). I left that issue unvoiced because I figured the argument against it would be to resize the browser window (which I don't do).

I'd really like to have the quotes stop truncating their content when it gets longer.

All.
Bow.
Down.
To.
Me.
And.
Become.
My.
Worshippers.
Or.
Miharu picks a number.
If you have the wrong one.
You explode!
Destruction.
Is.
Life!
Meh.
Blargh.
Why you doing this to me, Quotes? I used to love you!
I hate this "cut off click to expand" thing.

Also, would it be possible to put an IRC link on the forum's main page - like, next to Forum and Members? I can fish it out of the wiki, but it's kind of annoying.

I like the compressed long quotes and I want to keep them.

IRC added to forum header.

Increased maximum recipients in conversations started by registered users 5 to 20.

Unh. I get why you like the Quotes in a normal-forum-I-quote-someone-in-a-discussion way... but the Quoting was also a storytelling tool for Text Windows or notices in visually formatting my narrative. Shortening the quotes like that pretty much kills most of the incentive to use them for the sake of presentation.

Thanks for adding the IRC to the header. Would it be possible to add something like a direct link to the IRC address, rather than lead directly to something like mibbit? Most browsers will typically give me a choice upon clicking a link like this to go for Mibbit or whatever mIRC client I have (the latter being preferable; remember how opening different tabs kind of kills performance for a web browser since we switched to XenForo?)

I wanted to use a flash-based chat but sorcery.net doesn't support it so I had to fall back to Mibbit for now. Not every user's browser supports those types of links so I had to play it safe in this case.

I hope this is the right thread, but if not I'll happily delete it.

I've saved a draft of a post for one of the roleplay threads, but now that I've saved it I don't know how to access it again. I've tried clicking on the "Drafts" button, but it only gives the "Save Drafts" and "Delete Drafts" option. Have I encountered a bug or am I just missing something gobsmackingly obvious?

Saved drafts appear in the box where you type your replies. If the draft saved (and they do this automatically), you can go back to the thread it was saved in, and it should still be there. If you don't see it, it probably didn't autosave for some reason (usually you have to let it sit there for a few seconds before the autosave kicks in).

I tried going back to the thread to see if it might auto-load, but it was entirely empty. I definitely remember seeing the draft saved message when I saved the draft, so perhaps it's down to my browser? I'm using Internet Explorer, and I had to restart my computer a day or so after making the draft, so maybe it ended up wiping the draft data?

Perhaps I should try saving a draft in a different browser and seeing if it helps. Thanks for the advice!

Hey, Just found out that there is a limit to the number of characters in a post. 10,000 is the limit. Was trying to post a JP for a character interview that is 30,972

Yeaah. That needs to be bigger.

Of course, we could go for multiple posts... but isn't that bad for us in regard to search engines?

Hey, Just found out that there is a limit to the number of characters in a post. 10,000 is the limit. Was trying to post a JP for a character interview that is 30,972
Removed the character limit.

Last edited:
Well that's good to know I have the JP stored, but I'm wondering if I need to keep doing the interviews and saving them.

Wow! I just realized the little arrows next to the page numbers at the top of a forum thread actually scrolls the page numbers shown, so you can go to the page you want without visiting other pages first.

Yeah, you know how threads that run past about 5 pages normally collapse the number list? Now instead of having a choice of the last couple pages or the first couple, or whatever is near the page you're on, you can actually scroll through to a specific page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back