Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: OIF Atuan [OIF Atuan] Episode 5: Taps

Re: Episode 5: Taps

"So, We's just sittin around waitin fo you guys ta all get killed 'n shit or something?" Shinji asked, somewhat jokingly- He knew there wasn't likely to be anything happening to them unless something went terribly wrong with the away team. The Yamataian shrugged at his own statement. "S'fine wit me, Jus don't get youselves killed too bad 'cuz I don't think the doctors can fix you up that much." Apparently, He was now using the term 'killed' to mean 'injured'.

Meena was satisifed that her mostly non-lethal loadout was accepted, and then Spoke to the other dark-skinned Nepleslian, wondering about his reaction to it. "Umm, Kelly, is there any problem with me preferring not to kill our enemies?" she asked, head cocked to one side quizzically, obviously not realizing the turn Kelly's mind had taken when he saw what she had wanted.

Shinji happened to be passing by as she said this, and loudmouthed "Wass this 'bout not killin people? I thought we got paid that extrea KS a month to kill people?" It didn't help the reputation of his sanity that he had a lit explosive in his hand and looked like he was about to throwit at someone- He ended up tossing it out the door as the fuse ran out, and a loud pop accompanied by sparks and deep purple smoke could be heard from the hallway, an engineer passing by nearly throwing themselves to the ceiling in fright.

Vici chuckled on what demo-loon done. It was funny but people like they can be dangerous in action. Se kept in mind to be ready for him to do something dangerous.

She then truned her head to the young girl talking about non-killing. "I think preffering not to kill is very good. But there are times when you have to be ready to do so." She said out loud. Vici herself had no problem with killing. WHen guns were drawn it was either her or the other guy. She will always choose the other guy when she can.

Lucien chuckled at Viki and Meena's statements, "Aye, but if things go arse o'er teapot, we wannae be able t' fire th' moment ya get there - chances are they ain't th' sort t' stock up on th' non-lethal stuff!" His reasoning was clear that he wanted to make sure that if whoever they were meeting with shot first, they wouldn't be caught by surprise.

He smirked a little at the thought of using starship grade weapons on his enemies, giving a fleeting notice to the collateral damage, but also to the spectacle. He then considered the use of a warning shot, he imagined a warning would be heeded with a wistful grin.

"It has been said among my people that Nepleslians exchange bullets the way Yamataians share beds; that is to say frequently, in large amounts," Async quipped, tapping something out on a datapad, "and with much enthusiasm."

Her joke delivered and fully aware that the rest of the briefing room was occupied by Nepleslians and Yamataians, Async made her way casually out of the room and towards the hangars.

"That it does Viktoria. It shouldn't be too much of a problem to fend off anything a moon settlement can throw at us with the main guns." he replied. As he listened to her words again, an Abwehran accent coloring her speech, the Ensign wished the Atuan came with something a little more powerful.

When Shinji spoke up, Kelly did his best to toss a quip at the man. "Well..." he started, voice trailing off. "You guys are more like the friends who didn't get tossed into a jail cell for unruly behavior and are paying the bail." he spoke. "Assuming we even do get in trouble, that is." he quickly tacked on. Kelly himself felt tense, and didn't want the crew to feel the same way. Though, he had to admit, they'd probably feel tense anyways, regardless of what he said or did. No point in making it worse.

"Nothing's wrong with not killing people. It's just that...well, they can probably free themselves and become a threat again." He stiffly replied, posture tensing slightly. It took a bit to suppress the embarrassment. 'Of course Meena didn't want to kill! What else would she want to do with a net gun?' he sarcastically asked himself in the safety of his mind.

"Huh. Not sure about the extra KS myself to be honest, but I guess it couldn't hurt if they're a threat." He nodded to both Vicktoria and Lucien in agreement.

The tall, dark skinned Nepleslian took a sip of water, but nearly choked when Async's 'quote' hit the air and politely coughed into his fist. He tried looking away as his cheeks visibly flushed, dark skin or not, and briefly glanced at Vintropolis. The man had been quiet, but if he didn't have anything to say, and as the Freespacer left, he guessed the briefing was as good as over.

"Well, I suppose this briefing is finished." Kelly spoke formally. "If any of you have following concerns about your loadouts or the mission perimeters, come see me or Arah. Though, the latter may not be very interested. Dismissed."

"Hey, wait for meeee~." Yoshiko called out to Async, forgetting that their conversation had been confined to electronic messages. The Ex-Neko hopped out of her chair, and bounced after the Freespacer.

Vici laughed sincerely upon Async's remark. She can be funny sometimes. She also felt some of the crew to be stunned by that sentence. Vici wasn't one to not follow upong good joke. "Well that would make me Nepleslian and Yamataian too." She said before Asyn left the room. Looking forward to others reaction to that.

When briefing was done she approached Kelly. "Sir I would like some more time on simulator. As you know I have plenty combat experience but it will be my firt time in mecha. I want to be as ready as posibble. Also in training I ran my simulation with Ashigaru and this going to be first time in Asura. I ready the manual, or all the important stuff in it, but I want to sit in cockpit before the mission to feel the controls." She then awaited Kelly's response.

"Of course, Viktoria, I'll help you with that and get the simulation started. However, I will have to leave and come back after my own duties are finished." he answered, hurriedly attempting to brush away the Abwehran woman's prior statement...and all of it's implications. He swallowed once, nervous.

'Is it me, or are all the women aboard this ship a little insane, save for Meena?' Kelly mentally paused. 'She's going to come at someone with a knife later, isn't she?'

'I'm glad the shows kid's watch these days in Yamatai are never deconstructions...oh wait, they sometimes are!' he thought with bitter sarcasm.

"How are you doing, Miss Tachibana?" Async greeted the body-swapped Nekovalkyrija as she caught up, "you've had... some tension on your soul."

The Freespacer talked nonchalantly as if the issue were one that could easily be ignored, tapping away at the datapad while she trudged down to the hangar in her noisy Voidwalker. I swear, this would be so much easier to move in if the ship didn't have gravity everywhere, how do these people tolerate it?! she thought, angrily correcting a typo on the datapad.

I have. . . nothing to do. Taela thought as she left the briefing room, twiddling her thumbs. I mean, it would be nice to know my fellow crewmates, but I don't know where to-

It was at this point the Neko ran into a wall from not paying attention.

"Ow."

Meena turned, her attention diverted by a loud thump followed by a pair of laughing voices- that of Shinji and the Ship's computer, Ged. She looked for the source, and found it- Teala. The dark-skinned nepleslian girl made her way over to the Neko and put a hand on her back "What is wrong? Are you okay?" she asked, concerned, as shinji laughed and waved his arms bemusedly, walking out of the room, muttering something that sounded suspiciously like "Door's over here, babe".

Ged now sounded in to Kelly, something which he only did either at very important times, or very opportune moments to joke with the dreadlocked man. "Sir, I should be able to get everything inventoried and prepared to be loaded to the Frames in minutes- it's up to your technical crew to mount them, though. I will remove gravity from the bays to ease this for them, of course, but, seeing the crew, it may take a little while and we could be cutting it close to the projected arrival time." The Computer laid silent for a few seconds, before starting up again "Oh, the captain would like to see you in her bed." A snigger, then then computer added "Room."

With the briefing over, Mark relaxed and stowed his datapad. With his other hand, he loosened his tie. For a few minutes, he sat in his seat, chuckling at Viktoria's comment and the Joke from Async which preceded it. It wasn't until he heard the loud smack of Taela colliding with the wall that he stood. He approached her and Meena at a brisk pace and extended his arm; reaching down to Taela with an offer of help.

"You're gonna be my pilot, and I'm gonna be you co-pilot, babe." He explained, "So we might as well go ahead get used to helping each other out, right? Just grab my hand and I'll pull you up, little thing."

Viktoria nodded to Kelly when he answered. It was fun to watch his reaction. "I will meet you in the hangar later then." she said and watch him leave.

There were not many reaction to her joke. Mark chuckled and Kelly got nervous. Well at least something. Victoria started wondering if it is any different in bed with Nepleslians or Yammies. It will probably be same as with Abwehrans. Only they will be lighter. She also did mental note to be careful to not hurt them if anyting should happen. She came from the world with much greater gravity after all. She could probably win any strong-arm events on the ship. Probably.

Kelly looked very strong too. And he was taller then her which she actually liked. And those broad shoulders. His hairdo was very interesting too. It was not commonly wore at her home.

This was what came through her mind as she walked throug ship corridors not paying attention to other. Unlike Taela she was able to not hit any wall though. Soon she got into hangar. "Now which Schöne from these will be mein?" She asked out loud.

"Oh, it's nothing." Yoshiko answered. "Really! I mean, just a little more, and I can hop into the frames again and kick butt with the rest of you again." she spoke, putting her arms up and jabbing the air. The Ex-Neko then slowly wound down though. "So...are you feeling all better? I'm really sorry I got all freaked out..." Yoshiko went on, voice slightly pleading.

The Ensign soon had to force himself to keep quiet. Not to keep himself from laughing, but from bursting out a statement along the lines of "Dawwww." or other. That, Kelly figured, would be even more painful and insulting to the girl than just plain jibes and laughter. And if there was one thing he learned about the Nekovalkyrja, was no to get them angry. He loosened his tie after that. However, Ged quickly gave him a reason to stand ramrod straight.

"Buh, wha?" he replied to the ship's AI, flustered. "Oh, right. Very funny Ged." He secretly prayed she wasn't angry. 'Does she even get angry?' he wondered. As he walked out and gave Ritter a polite "Of course, see you soon." the Ensign settled on a conclusion.

'This ship is full of crazies, misfits, and oddballs.' He tightened his tie. Fortunately, for his own sanity, Kelly did not ponder where he fit into all this. Yet.

Soon enough, he was at Captain Tenner's attention.

"Oh-" Async faltered for a moment, "no, it's not your fault; I just overextended my immune system trying to fit in with everyone... by the way, how can you tolerate that water, it was freezing?! Hell, I was chilled just being in that skimpy uniform."

Async knew very well the difference in temperature sensation between people that lived in an actively irradiated environ and those that had to deal with the massively variable conditions on a planet, but she was trying to make conversation and, more importantly, flatter the pants off of Yoshiko.

Taela heard Shinji's comment (those ear's aren't just for scratching, yanno) and shot him a malicious glare before turning her attention to Meena.

"As far as I can tell," She began, "I am perfectly fine. I just was not paying attention to where I was going."

Using Marc's hand for support, the Neko pulled herself off the ground and back onto her feet, wobbling for a moment before using her antigravity to stabilize herself. "Thank you very much. Now what do we do since we're waiting?" Taela asked.

"I'm not sure," Mark replied, "I'm still new around here, so maybe a sight-seeing tour would be nice... or you could show me the hanger so I can get started on modifying the Kirin's CECS to intercept our 'contact' and whatever radio signals might be floating around in the area. Maybe you could help me-- I ain't got much experience working with the comms systems on a mobile platform of this size? Whadaya say?"

Lucien was hanging back for a little while chuckling quietly to himself at the comments of the others. He was waiting for the others to leave before moving towards Kelly, before he skedaddled to his interview.

"Tell ya wot, methinks ya need a beer 'er two t' loosen up," The Scotsman gave him a pat on the shoulder, "If I come back innae one piece, I promise t' give ya some man 'ospitality. These lassies couldn't 'ave 'em a good time if it slap 'em in the face!" He chuckled mirthfully with the intent to ease the Ensign's mood.

"Anyhoo, ye take care 'o yerself, orright mate?" He smiled at Kelly before leaving towards the hangar, "Tar tar fer now!"
He got to the hangar and looked at his currently assigned Frame, a reliable Asura, a step up from his previous Ashigaru with a smile.

"'opefully 'ooever we're meetin' has a mind fer war."

It looked liek noone paid atention to Viki and were about to do their jobs. Viki didn't want to bother them, but she needed to find her Asura. She then notices one of the other pilots. The one she had troubles understanding. He sounded like capapble soldat though.

She came to him. "Hallo," she said when getting to him. Quickly scanning him with her eyes. If he didn't look kinda scruffy he could be handsome. In the manly way of being handsome. "Came to do ein simulation auch(too)?" She asked him.

Kelly stood at Arah's door for a few moments, in utter silence, before the silence was broken by the Ship's Avatar. "You should try knocking." it said, simply. However, before Kelly could react, the door opened, and a Stunned Kelly was yanked into the room, and thrown under the desk, shushed quickly by the Captain, whom closed the door quickly and decisively, looking as if she were worried someone might see them. After what seemed like half a second, but might have been more or less, she became her normal self again. A blank expression on her face, the Captain addressed the Ensign.

"It's about time I told you WHO it was you're supposed to contact." she began, somehow putting emphasis on the word 'who' without changing her tone or inflection. "This person is one of Aerin's friends from times past, also, they are a Red, like you used to be yourself. I hear they even commanded your unit before you were assigned to it." The information was useless, but interesting to know nonetheless, mostly because Arah seemed to be rather animated, and much more talkative than normal. She turned to Kelly again after pacing the room several times, at a speed much greater than anyone could have expected of her.

"Their name is Marin Ara, or so I am told, a Red Nepleslian leader of some influence, they were spared by being sent to Halna because they didn't agree fully with your former leadership. But anyway, they are Friends of the CEO, so their history matters not." She stared blankly at Kelly, but that stare was more piercing than any glare, as if Arah were staring straight through Kelly, at a spot on the floor behind him or something.

"He will let you onto the moon, and guide you to the place we are to investigate, and then leave you there. The locals should avoid you, it is a newcomer that they seem to dislike whom they are pointing us at."

She stared at Kelly for a moment, before adding. "Don't screw up again."

"Hrmm... That is a good idea." Meena said, after watching how Mark and Teala were interacting, with the suggestion of practice and preparation in the hangars, she turned to Shinji, and noted he was gone, then ran out of the room after him, calling "Hey blockhead, go to the hangars, we need to prepare!" an exclamation that was somewhat out of character for the normally quiet girl, but she seemed to be taken for a loss after his quick exit, as she hadn't noticed it happening. Regaining herself, the younger Nepleslian girl made her way with the confused and annoyed Yamataian towards the hangar, as he loudly complained "Ehh, waddya want lil' one?" Eyeing his copilot with a tiny amount of distaste.

"Here, Miss Tachibana, this sub-group's timing is off by a few milliseconds," Async showed Yoshiko the datapad readout slaved to the Oban's auto-diagnostic, still using the formal 'sempai' whenever she used the other woman's name, "it's throwing the entire leg assembly off-balance by three pounds..." the Voidwalker's bulbous and undecorated helmet inched closer to the constant scroll of numbers, drawing equally closer to the Ex-Nekovalkyrja, as the machine twitched its musculature several thousand times per second to feed the diagnostic reliable data.

"Ah, the hydraulics are helping the problem by overcompensating," the Freespacer looked over at her Yamataian-bodied compatriot excitedly, "the entire muscle-group is being worn thin by hyper-extension!"

The prognosis was announced as if it were a breakthrough in multiple fields of very important research, though it only meant that one machine would be operating with 82.222% efficiency rather than 81.43% efficiency when compared with the developer's platonic estimations. Nevertheless the three hours spent conferring (and clumsily flirting) with Yoshiko while finding the deficiency had been engrossing to the woman and kept her from focusing on the nagging cough and sniffle she was still getting over.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back