• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: OIF Atuan [OIF Atuan] Episode 6: Once More With Feeling

Re: Episode 6: Once More With Feeling

Lucien blinked as he tried to get control of the car again, swerving straight upwards and almost clipping a building, and another car in the process, "FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHK!" He yelled as he attempted to get control of the vehicle. Almost all of his drunkenness was replaced with adrenaline at this point.

Once he was cruising up the building, he looked over to Taela and said, eyebrows furrowed in concern: "'ave ye gone mad? You can' even string together a propah sentence! I'm chasin' that focker down!"

Lucien, now soberer than before was able to keep pursuing the car in which Yoshiko was currently captive alongside Mark, determined to pin the car between them. Once he caught it, he was going to kill the driver. He ruined a perfectly good evening of drinking.

However, he noticed something, "...Wait, ain't that Arah down there?"

At this point, there was nothing for Kelly to do, save for hanging on for dear life. The Ita-Car began its rapid decent, gunning its engine to max as it barreled at Arah and her companion. In this fateful moment, Mark floored it after their prey, hoping to ram it from under and throw it into a chaotic spin. For Victoria, the massive frame's engines screamed as she pushed it to its limits, hand outstretched as she reached out for the car. Lucien had managed to catch up from earlier and was coming in from above like an eagle, in an attempt to pin the car between his own and Mark's below. It was all coming together, this one fateful triumph!

"Beep-BEEP!"

Lights blinked; the Ita-Car hit the breaks and went into a power slide, quickly followed suite by the three other cars and Victoria's frame. Arah merely put away the small remote control and keychain as the vehicles shot overhead and 'skidded' to a halt. After he landed back in his seat, Kelly just sat there, absolutely stunned for the moment.. "What...what just happened?" he asked, horribly confused.

"The unexpected happened. As planned." a new woman's voice came over the comms with a faint hint of glee. The driver's door of the Sentai Nekoranger Itasha opened up; a woman with ebony rimmed glasses and dark auburn hair done up in a bun stepped out. "I hope that didn't leave you too rattled Camellia? I know Arah's not bothered one bit!"

This woman, in Origin Uniform, smiled at them all. "I suppose you all have quite a few questions?"

Viki was furious. All this fear, all this for this? Was this some stupid test? What the hell did it mean? How is Yoshi? And above all. Why? Viki's mecha was stopped to halt on the spot. She then landed and opened the cocpit. She looked at woman that climbed out of car. Viki then smiled at the woman as she walked to her. "Nein, nein. No questions darling. I only want to tell you one thing." She said as she walked to the woman calmly. When she was at her face changed and her fist flew. Good right hook into woman's jaw was all she wanted to say and said. She made sure to control her strength back. She wanted to hurt the woman, not broke her jaw.

"There I am done," she said afterwards and went to get Yoshi from the car, while muttering something in abwehran. It was abwehrand but anyone could pretty much understand it now.

Though the woman appeared stern yet friendly, it didn't provide any protection whatsoever from Victoria's cold, hard knuckles, or the Abwehran lady's barely contained strength. She was practically knocked off her feet, and landed in an unceremonious heap on the hard cement of the sidewalk. As she slowly, painfully rolled up on her side and rubbed her chin, the woman's hair came apart as her glasses fell from her face in pieces. Despite all the ruckus, Yoshiko was somehow STILL ASLEEP, though had apparently been moved into and then buckled down in the passenger's seat in the back. A single snore escaped her lips.

"Victoria! All of you! Stand down" Kelly started. The man, though feeling enraged himself managed to keep his cool. It was his his job as the leader after all. And this time, it meant he was going to be the bearer of bad news. "I don't know how to break it to you Vic, but she's, uh, below Aerin, but not so far that we shouldn't worry." he explained meekly. "Just...go get Yoshiko, would you?" He quickly moved to her and offered a hand. "I apologize for my subordinate's actions! We've been under pressure for quite some time." He hated kissing the woman's ass, but it had to be done! For Kelly, his life seemed to be a constant struggle of going back and forward between the frying pan and fire.

And this was no exception!

The silver haired woman perked a hidden brow at what just happened. First what looked like the tail end of a multi-car and a mech chase, then someone getting cold cocked in the face. Camellia was slowly feeling she exchanged one insanity for another with this crew.

"Are all leaves like this? Or am I privy to a special occasion?" She asked, still kind of dumbfounded.

"Well maybe you are sorry Kelly, but I am not!" Viki said and opened back doors of the Ita-car to get Yoshiko out. And check on her. "You know this was dangerous Kelly, innocent could get hurt! We could get hurt." She added as she opened back doors and looked at sleeping Yoshi. At least someone was untouched by events.

Viki sighed and straigtened herself up again, leaning on the car. "Well Yoshi is fine. She is sleeping." She said and looked at others. "So what was this scheize all about? I have mecha to return so if we could make it quick?"

If Lucien had blinked any more, his eyes would've been permanently blunked. (If that was even a word) - Rather than rage or hate towards the new found driver, and Viki beating him to the punch, the Scotsman felt that very weird feeling, the one that probably shouldn't be felt in situations like this:

Ambivalence. He was very confused, was this just another 'test'? Another 'trial'? He made a mental note to harbour an immediate distrust to any and all Nekoalkyrja - they seemed to be behind all this. Overt cuteness seemed to equate into Machiavellian villainy in the Scot's mind - save for Yoshiko, of course.

He went to assist Viki, and offered to grab Yoshiko's arms if she needed to be hauled out, "Y'know, this stinks ta high hell with weirdness. This is suppose t' be our fookin' shore leave," He exchanged a glance of mutual trust with Viki, "Any more 'o this 'hind our back madness and I'll go highlander on their arse!"

He then looked to the sleeping Yoshiko, and sighed, "She's the control, and we're the test subjects-like."

Taela hit her head when the car came to a sudden stop, leaving her with an uncomfortable bruise on her forehead that plagued her with pain upon her exit from the car. But upon seeing this revelation - the setup, the identity of their opposing driver, and the fact that the entire thing was just a training maneuver, or a prank, or Ketsurui knows what else, the Nekovalkryja couldn't take it anymore. All of this random stress and frustration, pooling together for a few minutes now, finally surfaced in the girl's mind as one, solitary word.

"Huh?" Taela said before promptly passing out onto the ground.

"Oh Kelly." she started, sighing. "You don't have to kiss my ass, as much as I appreciate the thought. She's not going to get in trouble over that at all, and for good reason." the woman spoke bluntly, causing the dark skinned Nepleslian to bluster a little. The woman went on, cutting him off, as she gingerly rose from the ground. She tossed her now loose hair back over her shoulders and out of her eyes, revealing her unmarred face. "It'd take a lot more than that to actually hurt me I'm quite sad to say." This woman, who had put them through the wringer, dusted off her skirt before looking them over with a sharp eye.

"I'm surprised that none of you have asked any questions, and I apologize for...'appropriating' your leave time, but I can assure you all that nobody was hurt in the way you would all expec-" Her words were completely cut off as Taela collapsed.

"Oh my!" the woman exclaimed in surprise.

Mark paced slowly up to the woman. He'd kept to himself while everyone else made their feelings clear. In a way, he was glad to be wearing something other than his uniform, as he wasn't very proud of the company at the moment. Still, he thought to himself with a sigh, this isn't the only time stuff like this has happened.

Mark gave Kelly a couple of quick pats on the back as he walked past, sort of a 'thanks for the effort' kind of motion. And then, as he finally reached the woman, he let into his curiosity and stretched out a single hand. Thick, calloused fingers ran softly down the part of the woman's face where Viki's blow had landed. Just as casually as he had extended them, Mark's fingers retreated. A small noise of wonder escaped from his throat as he turned to prop the fallen Taela up against a car, a far more dignified and comfortable position for the neko. Then, he finally broke his own silence.

"I see that you're unscathed. You face is as smooth as your getaway was." He said, producing his datapad for note-taking, "But you said you'd supposed we had a few questions, so I'll get started now. What was the purpose of this violent and dangerous excersise? How did you hope to ensure that no bystanders were hurt, especially after disabling our white-knight of an AI? Does Aerin Tast know of this proceedure, and if so does she approve of it? Is this company policy or corporate conspiracy? Please answer the questions to the best of your abilities, ma'am."

The questions came one after another, and the expression on Mark's face was fixed. It was unclear, even to him, whether he was trying to find out what happened of just stuck being a journalist.

"It all didn't go as I had meticulously planned, but I'll take that as a complement." The woman replied, allowing Mark to touch her face. She looked over the small group of people gathered around her, regarding them with an unintelligible expression. Though this person looked normal, and even pretty enough in a stern manner, there was something simply off about her. Something that didn't feel quite right. "Well, before I get to explaining, there's something I need to do first." She spoke, clasping her hands together in preparation.

"Now, hold on, I think my crew would deserve to get an explanation of all this sooner rather than later!" Kelly exclaimed, frustrated and annoyed at how circumstances had so quickly turned on them all. It was all so clear cut earlier, but now? Now it was their own company toying with them. Before anything else could be said, the frame accompanying them took off, buffeting them a little with its backwash.

"Yes, yes they do." The woman simply replied. "Long story short, the whole point of the exercise was to educate our children." She explained with a deadpan expression.

"What?" Kelly asked flatly, shocked and confused beyond proper expression.

"Yes. Our children, or to be more accurate, several young and newly created AI's needed to be taught lessons in regards to the treatment of organic life. Specifically of course, humans and their derivatives." She held up a hand. "Let me explain further; a concept known as the 'Zeroth Law Rebellion' had been a classic of literature for countless years." She then made to put up a hand next to her mouth as though trying to whisper. "It's where AI's take over the universe." The woman then cleared her throat and went on "-and frankly, we already know we can't dissuade all AI from wanting to subjugate or control humanity." She gave them a long, thin smile. "Instead, we just decided to show the absolute infeasibility of trying to do so." She went on,

"As for poor Ged...well, we went through with this plan because we were running out of time." The woman then elaborated. "See, he was being moved out of his ship and needed to be powered down a little so we could make sure he was alright and unscathed." She then started to look a little embarrassed, wringing her fingers together. "And, well, this was my first time giving the lesson so...I really needed his help." A moment of silence passed.

"And you are?" Kelly asked her.

"Ah. How could I forget? I am Zophia." she explained, gesturing to herself with a hand upon her breast. "I am the monitor AI of Sector 10." the AI went on proudly. It quickly faded as she went on however. "Just...not so good with kids...still, it worked. I swear. Really. Almost nobody got hurt since Ged and I were so diligent, and they all agreed it was insane to try and keep you all on a set plan." She then turned to Mark and eyeballed him.

"You are aware that you're no longer a journalist, correct?" Zophia's solid volumetric display nudging him as her hair folded itself back into a bun, the stern glasses coming back together upon her face.

Viki grumbled after so-called explanation. She understood what the tried but she did not understood how was this chase supposed to acchieve it. "Well fuck I do not understand this all. Why bringing us into this? How did this all shit make those AIs not to rebel? And who is that woman?" She said and pointed to white-haired woman standing near Arah.

Not only did none of what the AI was talking about make a lick of sense to the Scotsman, but either way, the womanly presentation was not pleasing him at all. Since he'd come onto the Atuan, a woman in a suit was starting to become a red flag for something bad about to happen.

"I still dunnae like this one bit," Lucien frowned with Viki upon hearing the AI explain its actions and then brush off any acts to do otherwise as useless, like ants before a god, "That woman is a pain in the arse, that's wot."

He then considered. He had a limited technical knowledge at best, but he had heard that EMP was bad for robots or artificial intelligence.
This gave him a very mean idea, one he would dwell on and nurse when he felt that the world and the women who controlled it were wronging him and the team he had to call family.

"Screw this, let's get us a drink an let 'em clean it up. They've clearly got it under control," He nudged Viki, gave her a nod and looked for the nearest watering hole.

With the situation dissapated, and the more important of Mark's questions answered, the would've-been journalist felt secure enough to slide into the driver's seat of the Ita-car, sliding around behind Zophia, and in the process providing the best explanation he could for his behavior.

"I hate to ring all the wrong bells," he said, "But I've known for some time I ain't a journalist anymore, baby. I'm still not quite sure what drives that need for information."

He flicked a small switch next to the steering column on and off. Then, he adjusted the seat and prodded the console a little. He continued his point, "I'm not quite sure what drives this car around, either. But I think it's a 'Same Scene, Different Camera' situation, baby."

He didn't look away from the dashboard, just kind of looked through it. He toyed with the words in his mouth. Same scene, different camera. Mark chuckled under the weight of his own words.

When it was asked who she was, Camellia felt the need to introduce herself.

"I'm Camellia Sarri. I'm the powered armor specalist." She said, bowing slightly.

Viki sighed. This was way over her head. She expected easy job. THey would sit her in mecha, aim her at shit and she made shit blow up. Easy. But now they pulled her into something else. As Mark was getting into car Viktoria looked at him and said "take care of Yoshiko."

Viktoria then walked back to Lucien. "Sheise," she sweared. "Yeah Lucien, I am all for getting pissed. Let's drink till we drop, or till someone esle drops. Anyone is welcomed to come with us. I think you could use few drinks yourself Kelly," she said being all familiar with her immediate boss. With that she followed Lucien into pub.

At first, the only reaction Kelly had was to run a hand down his cornrows. This was all...out of the left field. It was downright crazy, and not in the enjoyable way like taking a frame size power drill and ramming it into an opponent. This was more of like watching a hot-blooded-action and power-of-friendship type anime suddenly descend into grim-dark-reality and contemplation of the meaning of life. While being a young child. It was the kind of thing that left people either scratching their heads in confusion, or catatonic and drooling. Kelly was the former, so he was still reasonably sane. "Ooookaaay..." he spoke slowly. "Just don't. Do that again. Please?" the team leader asked hesitantly.

"Of course I won't do it again!" Zophia suddenly snapped at him, hands on her hips. "I mean, look at the terrible job I did. I'm clearly not good with children, or setting up practical demonstrations that show real life issues. An old man had a heart attack, and this one - " She pointed at Taela, apparently passed out on the ground, "Passed out. The other AI's would never dare to have me do it again just because it's my turn." the stern looking yet proud AI spoke. For Kelly however, it suddenly all made sense.

"You, you did this on purpose!" he started angrily. "You made sure to do a miserable job! Risking everybody just so you could shrink your responsibilities!" Kelly called her out. "You magnificent bitch."

"How rude! And I suppose with that attitude, you'd all rather spend time in a bar getting even more drunk than being there when Ged wakes up again." She replied coldly. "But to answer your accusation, no, not at all. I did this to the best of my abilities. It's just that I'm an AI that is clearly best suited for logistics duty. Not something that requires more...tactical and strategic capabilities. I did warn them as well." Zophia replied with a smile. "These kinds of things have been going on for quite some time and without a hitch until now. So don't feel so bad. You're not the first." Her sudden changes of topic caught Kelly off guard.

"What did you say about Ged?" He asked, cautious.

"He's being installed onto a new ship, remember?" The AI reminded him. "At the end of this, I was supposed to bring you all to Sector Seven where you'd be shown your new ship and fancy new toys." Zophia went on explaining. "But, I suppose after all the stress that you've been through, no thanks to myself, it may be better you go off to that bar you mentioned." She looked over their motley group with a sharp eye.

"So, what will it be?"

Meanwhile, Yoshiko had slept it off and was now starting to stir, eventually sitting up from the grass where she was laid down on to rub her eyes. She barely caught the end of the conversation and suddenly came alive. "New toys?!" she squeed with energy. This caught Arah's attention, the Captain turning to loom over the pilot/technician.

"Fix it." she simply stated, pointing over to the slightly damaged Ita-car. The captain of the Atuan then turned to Camellia Sarri and gave her an order. "Go with the crew." With that, she left, disinterested as ever.

As Arah's footsteps carried her away to wherever, Yoshiko's cries of horror as she fluttered over the car. "Ohmyghoshhowcouldthishappen?!"

Mark was the first to speak up of the group. He looked at each of his companions before approaching Taela's unconscious form.

"I think we should take care of our loose-ends before goin' on another vacation, you dig?" Mark suggested, hefting Taela's limp form over his arms, bridal-style. He watched his tie pool-up in a small pile of silk on her stomach as he contemplated how exactly they should go about this.

"I think one of the other ladies oughta tag along with me to take her to her sleeping arrangement." The former journalist continued, "There should be someone who can change her into some clean, comfortable clothes so she won't wake up with a smelly crick in her neck. I'd do it, but I'm a gentleman. Not that kinda cat, savvy? A lady's gotta give permission for that kinda stuff."

Viki stopped in her stride. She turned back and looked at crew. Yoshiko was out of it, Kitty-kat was sleeping and she was only girl in the crew able to stand on her own two feet. She sighed and looked at Lucien. "Well mein freund. Let me get these two into their beds and then we can go drinking." She said and then turned to Mark. "Okay I will help you with girls, but you will go drinking with us then. You too Kelly!" She said pointing to black angry man. "It won't do you any good moping around."

It wasn't very long until they got Taela to her home, got her tucked in. It wasn't long until they decided where to go next, and it wasn't very long after that, that Kelly was ordering an Abwehran Weissbier inside a small pub that Victoria had picked out. Incidentally, it was owned and operated by the local Abwehrans who had decided to settle in Dawn Station.

The middle aged and muscled bartender polished a glass like all bartenders did while simultaneously filling a glass for another. Meanwhile, a pair of young barmaids were cheerily handing out mugs as they went through the semi-busy pub; one would usually expect either of them to end up receiving a few catcalls and maybe even a slap on the rear end, but both didn't for some odd reason. Kelly guessed it was because the bartender was their father, and nobody in the right mind, or wrong for that matter, wanted to risk answering to him.

As he looked into the small, crackling and cozy fireplace, the bartender caught his attention before sliding a frothing mug towards the dark skinned Nepleslian. A sudden spiking jolt was felt in his chest as his hand rose to intercept! It was coming in smooth and easy, so he caught it with no problem. But Kelly didn't drink it right away. "After all that, my mind is so full of fu-" He stopped as he noticed Yoshiko looking at him expectantly, wondering just what he was about to say. "-dge. And other sticky things that are gumming up the works." he sighed.

"Aww, don't let it get to you!" The young Ex-Neko tried to cheer him up. "I mean, it wasn't you who got drunk and lead the entire team through a crazy chase through Origin. So drink up! You can take it!" She went on without missing a beat. Kelly winced. That was the story that they told her; that she was the one who led them through an insane and harrowing chase through Dawn Station while speaking of colorful horses, unicorns and Pegasuses that flew. The worst part was that she said that it 'sounds like me' when told that little detail. And they stuck to it. Or, so far at least.

Kelly shut up and drank. And was surprised. It was good; the beer wasn't something crazy good, just good. Like the kind of beer that made you want to eat something with it. As he watched another customer get an order of schnitzel, he realized he was getting hungry. 'The guy must be making a killing, making us hungry with a beer that's supposed to go with food.' Kelly thought. He turned to the others, including 'Camellia', who would be watching their backs from now on.

"Hey, how you guys holding up? Ok?"

Somewhere, not too far away, a small, purple eyed neko would wake up in her sleeping clothes to find a 'friendly' face hovering over her as a damp cloth was dabbed over her forehead. "Ah, I'm glad you're awake Taela. I'm sorry you took that bump earlier. How's your head? Feeling better?" Zophia asked the Frame Pilot.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back