Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC [OoC] Miharu Discussion thread

Sorry about that I'll try to be clearer in the future. Maybe not so introspective and such. I could possibly try using italics so that his thoughts are read out like his own rather than being narrated out.

The scene in the medbay was rather short I know. I got a little rushed towards the end there and wasn't able to write the Mara/nurses orgy add on. Sorry!

Thanks Nyton :)

Don't you guys like it when things start coming together? Sure, your group is still in trouble... but things are starting to come together - it's less you getting ambushed and now you more or less trying to fight back.

Sumaru killing his Mishhu is fine, I guess. He probably would've have if 5tar had posted before... so it was major payback on the samurai's part!

I guess Yoroko and Nyton are the only ones left whom haven't posted this turn?

On the sidelines, one sprite passed another sprite some popcorn.

Someone had passed out pom-poms. There had been giggling and cheerleader jokes. Who needs cheerleaders anymore? Do I really have to wave this? Someone had also passed some shochu around. That was generally more well received, and had paved the way for the uniforms and face-paint. It had taken a few bottles, but it had worked. They were properly drunk and had assumed the appropriate state of college-grade undress.

The TV was a little fuzzy, but that didn't really matter.

"I think Eve's going to kill them all," one said, dourly.

"Shh!" hushed another. There was a brief flurry of shininess as a pom-pom struck her in the forehead.

"Shutup! We're trying to wa-"

"Give me the damn popcorn!"

"I feel bad for the cute one."

"Which?"

"The one that puked."

"This bag is fucking empty!"

The TV exploded in fuzzy violence as gunfire blazed on-screen. They all fell quiet, watching transfixed.

Someone waved a pom-pom.

<ooc>Yukari poked her head in the film room and slowly took a very deep breath. The breath was exhaled in the form of a very parental shout.

"DO YOU NOT ALL HAVE WORK TO DO?!"</ooc>

Sorry Yoroko. Skipped over you to keep the pace up and resolve the situation. I figured that Yoroko would just ape the others and obey Nyton's orders anyhow, and that I could spare you from making a filler post.

Auto-Destruct Sequence, Set! XD

Some clarifications:
  • Most of the group, in going down the catwalk, are now on Basement 8, into the command center and just about to enter the main operation room where the base's main computer (probably a KAMI-IES) would be located.

• Nimura's drones moved into the main operation center, and are currently hovering close to the generator control station, where volumetric windows are up - one of them bearing the unfortunate silent countdown.

• Most of the consoles in the main operation room are locked up, access protected. Whoever triggered the sequence made sure that no one but their own personnel would be able to access and perhaps cancel the auto-destruct. One could hack that away, but sadly, your three viable hackers (Takuma, Aoiko and Miyoko) are absent.

• The entry for the computer core is there, between the generator and environmental control stations. It's protected by a pretty reinforced zesuaium door with a barrier screen in place.

• Activating the Aether Canceller Device requires someone to be present in the chamber and plug back the three large power cables in the wall outlets. That done, it will have to be turned on, put through its boot sequence and then configured for activation... which may take a bit seeing no one really ever operated the equipment before. The only people with a chance to bring it up online in a short time are your technicians (Tom, Rin, Nimura) and even so it'll take a bit.

• The base's power reactor is a geothermal plant, far below. Its access passageway is actually fairly close to the Aether Canceller Device, opening up to a deep rectangular stairway hollowed in the middle. It goes way down, 400 meters, before branching off to either the drone factory complex (where the nekomachina and other units were built) and the geothermal reactor area, where a maintenance corridor will open up to a reactor control room with a viewport looking out to this huge chamber where the power plant itself is, with hatches opening up to ladders going down to access it directly.

Yoroko is forgetting that she still has an aether beam saber rifle along with her LASR/SLAG. Might want to remember that bit.

That would be dead useful. What I'm wondering is why those things were only used as rifles once so far in this entire assault?

Sorry about the Houdini routine again. I've been putting in at least 4 hours of extra time at school each day so far this week. I usually spend most of my days on the weekend at school or trying to be blissfully ignorant of living on base during the weekends... but I got slammed with a double unit test and a brief this week. I should have a response for you within the next hour or so Star. =)

I am forgetting that. I dont remember Yoroko ever grabbing one. Eh, oh well. Out of idle curiosity though, are they going to work with the aether canceler running?

Yeah, they will. They're running on batteries that give them about a minute of running time.

Usually, aether canceling disable aether power generation. If you already have a battery suitable to provide the power needed, then, you're fine.

Why wouldn't the Aether Canceler not shut down the aether rifles if:

It shuts down aether generators,

and

Aether rifles are aether generators with their output set on 'forward' instead of 'power this thing'

I was under the assumption they are basically the same device, they just use the power output in a different way. If you can't use the aether for whatever reason, then I wouldn't think battery power would change that?

Because 'Weaponized Aether' isn't actually Aether like the generators are. what it does is releases all the energy potentials of things in front of it through high intensity pulses, usually Scalar and some other ones. It's incorrectly labeled as 'Aether' due to it's damage output being so close to the energy output of an Aether generator.

Well, two reasons:

Wes recently admitted that the Aether saber-rifles were probably aether powered, but the effect they produced wasn't really via aether. Final word hasn't been reached on that level, unfortunately.

Also, aether cancelers don't entirely cancel out aether power systems. It just makes them a lot, lot less effective. Maybe the 'energy blade' effect from the saber-rifle happens to be below that threshold.

One way or the other, we have precedents for aether saber-rifle functioning under aether interdiction. On that level, all I can do is work with what I have - I can't make a claim that it makes sense, true, but I was largely working with this the way I have because of those precedents. It's a bit too late to undo now, seeing as to how the nekomachina have been extensively using the weapons while the canceler was active.

edit: what Kai said also holds up, I guess.

I can buy what Fred says as it is 'just the rules and doesn't make sense' but not so much for what Kai said.

Aether is interacted with through use of scalar fields.

Aether generators, and aether weapons, both must then use scalar fields to function and release energy.

The difference is how they work, aether rifles use a small scalar field to direct a blast of energy derived from the aether. Generators use a scalar field to create a more controlled reaction that can use provide power.

So, anything that interferes with a generator, would also interfere with a rifle. That is unless Fred is right and an aether rifle isn't really an aether rifle in which case its entry needs some fixing.

For this mission, I'm going to run the way I have with mecha-scale aether weapons the way I have thus far. I'd appreciate not turning my plot's OoC thread into a fullblown tech debate.

Good points where put up. I suggest using them as a basis for a tech discussion thread in the appropriate forum. Once a consensus is reached, I'll be quite happy to follow whatever turns up being decided in light of the question in subsequent mission, blaming the inconsistency with previous roleplayed material as weapon 'updates' and such.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back