• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC [OoC] Miharu Discussion thread

Gallant, you know which sprite has survived. This is yours, unless Nyton decides that the 'sprite' is one of the Shibafumi sisters and posts first.

Also, Tom, why not toss Kana over to Rin? You seem to be good at this medic thing. XD

Or throw her on Asher and figure out another medic for the Mokuren. We know there's a plebian Elysian nurse too.

Trivia: Mokuren is japanese for "Magnolia".

Jake, I'm not entirely sure of which sprites are still alive - that's why I left it up to Gallant. However, I do remember that Suzume was wounded, treated and discharged. I guess you can use her.

Suzume's a technician. She's specialized in computer technology.

Dead: (17)
Sanri, Junko, Eiko, Azumi, Miko, Ichigo, Takuma, Mara, Kichi, Kuni, Maya, Rei, Tama, Ozuno, Yoroko, Kaida, Etsu

Wounded: (17)
Suzume, Masako, Nimura, Tsuya, Shizuka, Akiko, Rin, Tom, Asher, Kai, Kyou, Nyton, Yukari, Nao, Hisa, Cho, Kinu

Less-Wounded: (8)
Hinoto, Miyoko, Kotori, Ayumu, Sanjuro, Yuzuki, Haya, Tori

I can't get the math to add up to 36, though. We're sitting at 41. Don't ask me. I could use a second set of eyes.

Sorry, I can't keep checking up as frequently as normal on a deployment. It's a wonder we've got internet, at all! Please bear with me.

Also I realized I fucked up Miyoko's description in an epic brain-fart. I'm going to edit to fix.

Sorry, sorry.

Gallant said:
Dead: (17)
Sanri, Junko, Eiko, Azumi, Miko, Ichigo, Takuma, Mara, Kichi, Kuni, Maya, Rei, Tama, Ozuno, Yoroko, Kaida, Etsu

Wounded: (17)
Suzume, Masako, Nimura, Tsuya, Shizuka, Akiko, Rin, Tom, Asher, Kai, Kyou, Nyton, Yukari, Nao, Hisa, Cho, Kinu

Less-Wounded: (8)
Hinoto, Miyoko, Kotori, Ayumu, Sanjuro, Yuzuki, Haya, Tori

That's what we needed to know. Thanks Gallant.

Nevermind the math. We're clearly under 36 now so it's doesn't matter anymore.

Sorry for the slow going folks. Finding time between two kids and a busy household is making it hard for me to find any time to write or do anything.

I also will be replying for Yukari and Suzume. Net is out and I am dead tired from alcohol and lights-out basketball for K's birthday. See you all in the morn!

Lately, I've been pondering on the matter of bulk.

Just how bulky should this thing be?

Like, if my helmet is ensconced in the upper torso to protect the neck, but that's it's able to pivot around... then it's likely more circular at the base than 'motor-bike' shaped (because that'd take too much shoulder space). With this in mind, along with desirable stylistic quirks, just how much should a power armor's helmet be able to turn and maneuver (Look down? Up? Glance over the shoulder?).

In addition to that, there's the matter of the arms. Here, I'm assuming that the Kishi's arms would be proportionate to the wearer's arms. With that in consideration, how much movement room should the arms have?

The above bugs me at shoulder level. Most kinds of shoulderpads will hinder motion - which brings me to wondering how much freedom of motion I should try to build in the Kishi. The more motion, the lighter the armor would need to be around that area.

The usual pinwheeling arm rotation could be possible with a non-Samus-like shoulderpad that's attached to the upper arm rather than the upper torso. It gives some extra range of motion, but the armor being more flexible there render's the wearer's arm more susceptible to blunt trauma.

Rotating an arm up laterally (exposing the armpit like you do in jumping jacks) would require both a more flexible armor rotary cap, but if you raise your arms up, the bulk of your shoulderpads could end up coming into conflict with your helmet.

Helmets are bulky considering the limited amount of shoulder-space available, so the only way I figure that can be mitigated would be to have a shoulderpad's bulk be on each side of the deltoid rather than over it. Bulk to the side of the deltoid would pose minimal encumbrance unless you have one arm rotate to do something across the body... and that ought to be minimal.

With all of the above written, I'd confess that there are significant technical problems with me designing the helmet-into-the-armor-to-protect-the-neck constraint. My attempts so far makes the armor look kind of unbalanced, too top-heavy, and aren't too compatible with the expected flexibility of Yamataian power armors.

Presently, I'm thinking of returning to the motorbike-helmet and merge it with a thicker, more muscular 'hood' to protect the neck while eliminating some vulnerability while staying more in Yamataian aesthetics than Nepleslian ones. That's be kind of like combining the Daisy helmet with the way the Quarians set up their headgear.

I like Halo's armor systems as well. They bring in that heavy duty feel (almost) without making the armors completely and utterly huge.

As to the helmet thing... Well, from my perspective it really depends on how you want this to look, when it comes down to it. I'm not sure there's really a good compromise between neck protection and freedom of movement for something as small as an armor. You can do that "muscled neck" idea, but it's going to come down to the same thing, where you either have to bulk it up to get solid neck protection, or slim it down to let the head move more freely on the shoulders.

From my perspective at least, I'd rather have lower protection and take the mobility. In any setting where weapons can pack as heavy a punch as ours do, getting shot/hit in the head at all is mostly a KO at the least, if not a straight out kill. I'd much rather be able to see a hit coming and try and dodge, or be able to move my head aside or the

Gallant, what's your availability for Wednesday night (according to PST, I'm thinking that'd be Thursday afternoon/evening or something for you.)

Check often!

I've e-mailed you, Kai. But for everyone else; I am only available for JP's via E-mail. I cannot access any of the 'Pads' or IRC while on deployment. We've got a couple of months left which is disappointing because there are quite a few people I would like to JP with before then.

So, once again I must ask for some understanding and patience.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back