• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC [OoC] Miharu Discussion thread

You know, it's a strange sensation to pop into the Miharu not expecting to see which character got mauled or killed today. It's less suspenseful and thrilling, but relaxing and satisfying at the same time.

Aye!

But at least you could do something for that entire time. I just sat back clutching my seat with white knuckles the entire time. XD

That's on Hoshi.

Guys, I'd appreciate you wrapping up, or at least significantly progressing, through roleplay of your respective characters by the end of next week.

Tom and Doshii should come together and try to roleplay what goes on with Tom and Yukari. I'd say the same may apply for Yuzuki and Kai.

Not everyone has as much 'ground' to cover, and I also want to keep things going at a good clip still - we're past the climax so there's no need for hectic momentum... just enough to keep things active.

I'm probably, in time, going to do another timeskip.

edit: Gallant sent word via e-mail that he was under comm silence and wouldn't be able to be around for some time.

I'm not available for much until later on tonight, but I'll try and jump together with Koku and get a JP going if we get the chance.

Good news!

I sent that notice almost a week ago! It just didn't get there until we lifted silence. Strange how that works. Guess that's just the way it goes. Wasn't even sure that thing got delivered.

In any case, anticlimactically, I am back and will be reading up/posting as appropriate. Sorry for the delay. Apparently, and this is just hear-say, the ship LOST a satellite. At random. It took a week to find it again. What the fuck?

I expect a JP with Kai, at the very least. That should be forthcoming via e-mail at some point.

Just an aside:

My latest entry in the ship overhaul thread included details on the planned engineering portions of the ship. I'd appreciate some input there from the people with tech-oriented characters.

Its funny but I've never actually seen Macross Frontier. For whatever reason I kind of imagine Akiko and Shizuka as being similar to Ranka and Sheryl in appearance.

I was thinking a little on the idea of a melee armor. This is some place where regular Yamataian power armors are deficient; since this power armor is named 'Kishi', which is 'Knight', I get the vague feeling that we should also look towards remedying the lack of player-used short-ranged armors.

The closest thing I can come to imagining is what a Ketsurui Samurai would do in a Daisy, with a Daikatana. Possibly, more than anything else in Yamatai, there is focus on the Katana or the sword, and they have a sort of mix of ju-jitsu and certain korean martial arts as the basic and primary martial arts practiced for ground encounters that very rarely happen. Supposedly everybody is trained in 'Hand to hand combat'.

So really, we have two options; give the armor a spot for a melee weapon, possibly a vibroblade or aethyric saber a-la-gundam, or something attached to the arms, that utilizes the natural training of a Nekovalkyrja.

Why don't Yamataian officers wear swords? That's bugged me, honestly, ever since I joined the site. Pre-WWII Japanese army and navy officers, even some senior enlisted, not only wore the stuff, but actually ended up using it in combat (it's documented!). Why not simply carry a melee weapon like that, only thicker and heavier, to utilize the Kishi's enhanced strength? It seems far fetched and almost silly, but perhaps simply having a standard backup melee weapon to turn to in close combat - as opposed to a bayonette - would be beneficial.

Either that, or for some reason I'm thinking of Katars. Those three-pronged claws that you see every once in a while in movies; the ones that you use to catch weapons. I noticed we were talking about modifying the plasma torch to do something like this. Why not simply install monomolecular blades that would slide out of the forearms? It's rather cleche', but judging by how close combat has been going, it would certainly be a good backup and it would also be fairly portable and wouldn't bulk up the armor too much.

I can imagine wicked acrobatics for some reason. Yay TV.

I know I'm just repeating some earlier suggestions in the thread in a different way, though. I am attempting to kind of jog the discussion again.

Now, as to the head bit.

'Knight' reminds me of a sort of medieval suit of armor, so I'm going to draw some similarities.

The way that most armors would turn blades away from the neck, while retaining relative mobility of the helmet, was with a sort of turned-up collar on the breastplate, or attached to the pauldrons, that would angle outward to deflect or minimize the chance of a blade peircing the throat.

I believe this was called a Gorget when it was a seperate peice of the armor, but the theory is the same.

I can easily see a wide gorget encircling the lower half of a 'bycycle' helmet attached to the torso. It would make the middle look kind of bulky, like you said, but this 'half-hood' would allow for complete mobility of the head with minimal risk to the neck. Best of both worlds. I can't find an example, though.

Thoughts?

Goliath armor and Juggernaut armor from Rainbow Six Vegas and Modern Warfare 2 respectively if you're looking for examples of high collar armor to protect the neck.

fetch.php

View attachment 1875

Matt and I are going to try to get a JP in within the next few days. Blas, I know you're really busy in RL, but is there a chance I could grab you for one sometime?

I'm pretty much free in the 3 PM - 11 PM Central Time window every weekday but Thursday, and all day on Friday. I've been trying to be in the IRC during that timeframe, so if you get an opportunity and feel like it, you can just pop in and grab me.

So, uh. How sturdy is the furniture and perhaps other miscellaneous items within the Mokuren? Specifically the couches.

Mokuren is a Yuumi-battleship with 'palace-style' interiors. I expect everything in there to be heavyset and opulent in a way that puts Star Trek TNG ships to shame.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back