• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

[OOC] The Colosseum

Just because something is not RPed out doesn't mean it's not there. And Yamataian economics and religious life are rarely RPed out for a reason: it's boring. :/

If someone wants to prove me wrong, start a corporation that actually keeps track of all of its inventory, or start a temple that gives weekly IC sermons. ^_^

Emrys Industries keeps track of its sales!

The fact that the sale laws mean I can only claim what players buy times several million is no fault of mine.

As for the sermons ... that's kinda a good idea. *muses*

Well guys, it sounds like just as we were getting things started, Wes has decided to turn Nepleslia into the new PvP area, so the Coliseum is no longer needed. Thanks Doshii for getting your post up, but it looks like it was for naught. Now that Nep will be the new place, with Zack and Thad in charge, y'all have a much better setting and leaders for this sort of thing. I will keep an eye on the board, and see where I can fit in from here.

Thanks again to all those who helped and supported me as I tried to get this up and running.

Wait a sec, that's two different types of PvP--The Colosseum is for 1v1, and the Nepleslian plot will be organizational RP.

It sounds like you're in a hurry to give up on this. If so, I'll close this forum.

Yeah don't give up on it yet James ^_^ like wes said the coliseum can be for 1v1 PVP

No! Don't give up! The Colloseum has a completely different feel, emphasis and character from Nepleslia.

Things are going too well to give up now! I'm sorry I haven't been able to post, but I'm finding it hard to work exactly what to do and to find the time.

Side note: We could actually put the Colloseum in Nepleslia. It might even be more fitting there. The location isn't so important--it's about the fights and fighters.

While that is true, the presence of the Colosseum on Yamatai serves as to show the dark side of Paradise, and an active IC forum for Yamatai could help flesh it out, something there has been a lack of recently. There has been a huge amount of RP on Nepleslia, but little in Yamatai. I'm fascinated by society in Yamatai, but know little about it, and I think the Colosseum might be a good place to explore this.

That, and the IC posts made are sort of Yamatai orientated if I read them correctly.

Good point.

Yeah and it is nice to have it there really. nepleslia doesn't seem the place for a romanesque coliseum.

Hopefully I'll have more time soon, James, so that I can create my character and kick some ass in your Colloseum plot.

Wes, do you even fathom how needless this new idea of yours is?

The Nep board is already a PVP since there's no law on that godforsaken dirt stain.

The Colloseum is to Nep as Warsong Gultch is to Alterac Valley.

For those of you who don't play WoW, both are PvP arenas but one is capture the flag while the other is a full blown war. From what I understand the Colloseum is going to focus on single 1v1 fights while Nep is aiming for a motive driven PvP conflict.

That doesn't mean there can't be stories related to the house fighters and staff, aswell as the player character fighters in the Colosseum.

And Nep is a friggin 24-hour street war. Not much room for actual player versus player, when it's everyone for themself.

And Nep is a friggin 24-hour street war. Not much room for actual player versus player, when it's everyone for themself.

Haven't you just disproved your point?

Now, I am not sure, mind you, but what I think Chris is trying to say, is that it isn't good for the RP as a whole to have two different PvP things going on.

I happily admit that I know what you are saying with the WoW comparison, but the thing is, and you can admit to this if you watch the forums, a lot of people consider the BGs a failure of an attempt at PvP. That World PvP is what people want, not capture the flag in a war like setting. To a smaller degree, that is what some feel about the PvP here. If you have two ways of doing PvP, you split your playerbase into groups, and I think that our playerbase here on SA is already pretty divided as it is.

I wasn't told that the Collosseum would be 1v1 only. If I had known that, I wouldn't have taken it over, because that's not what I wanted. I wanted to create more than just a dueling arena. I will admit it, I wanted to start with that, but work my way up to what you guys are planning for Nepleslia. I wanted to start off with 1v1, and work up to, as more people joined in on it, to have it become a sort of setting like out of The Godfather movies. Where the rivalling families and gangs from Nepleslia, and the Star Empire as a whole got involved. But, you have taught me, Zack, that starting off with that would burn me out, and be too much for me to handle, so I am starting small, with that goal in mind.

So really, while I know that what's done is done, and you guys will still probably move forward with this, I just wanted to let you know where I stood on this. I fully support what you guys want to do on Nepleslia, and think it should have been done sooner. I just feel a little unsure about my future with the Collosseum, if you guys have the really good things going on over there with a full blown street gang war.

I was asked if I wanted to just say the Collosseum is on Nepleslia, and I have to say no, that I was told that it would be on Yamatai. While yes, it would fit better over on Nepleslia, as Thomas has said, there are a lot of things that have not been explained about Yamatai, that need to be shown to people. Plus, there is no such thing as a perfect society, and that is another thing I wanted to show. I wanted to show that on the outside, Yamatai looks so wonderful and perfect, but there are secrets lurking about just below the surface.

Anyway, I am going to leave now, as I am sure that this post will be getting quite a few TLDRs as it is...

*For those who don't know, TLDR is "Too Long Didn't Read"

My impression from the forums is that people generally dislike the BG because of the division of content between instance diving bluebies and grief farming redbies.

But in all seriousness I just posted earlier because I didn't like Cora's syntax.

Put this in the Cluster Flux to reduce the amount of argument going on.

You'll have your colloseum but it'll be out of character.

'nuff said.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…