• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Submission [Origin Bladeworks] Sword-Spear Custom Weapon

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirSkully

🦊 FM of Neshaten
🦾 FM of Nepleslia
🎖️ Game Master
Submission URL
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=items:weapons:sword_spear
Submission Faction(s)
  1. Yamatai (except Elysia)
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
Submission Type: Custom Weapon
Template Used: Taken from the example weapons

Faction:
FM Approved Yet?: No @Kai
Faction requires art?: No

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? No
Contains New art? No
Previously Submitted? No

@Kai here is a new weapon thingo from origin, lmk if there are any issues with it

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I’d like to propose a middle ground; if the RP can be arranged, then let’s go ahead and get this approved/good for use in the meantime. It’s fair to approve it so RP can be facilitated whilst you both arrange and line-up the RP session to explain it; maybe a JP might work better.

I'd approve it right now but I'd hate to intrude on @FrostJaeger like that. I've reviewed and seen no mechanical reason to hold it up, but including a speed would be good. It would help to know just how fast it can go. For its size something like a hundred miles per hour would be reasonable, and if a Mindy throws it it would get going like 200.
The DR of Tier 4 seems kinda high for not having an energy field or something, but if an aether cell is like a tiny aether generator I could see it releasing small amounts of aether along the blade to greatly increase cutting power, but you'd need a suit to use it. A power blade mod thing could be used with or without PA and you've got plenty of power to use it but the retraction system might have to go. Actually, if you nixed the retraction system in favor of a power blade you could leave a threaded end on the bottom to screw on a polearm and get both.

There is a katana with just a monomolecular edge listed on the page as a tier 4, and not to sound too rude or anything but those changes you're advising essentially make my sword into almost a carbon copy of the your one - rather than sharing two traits and still being unique enough.

Huh, you're right. That's kinda strange to think that the katana would be armor piercing with only a monomolecular edge but oh well, if that's the standard I guess it works. I have no problem with you making it how you want. I'd just like to be a part of it. I found cheap trick and just wanted to share it was all.

ok nothing against rp here, but why does skully need to rp his char using a weapon he ordered from a compnay?

the gravtic drive was approved in the submission of the Bladeworks article by immortal afaik so i don't see why skully has to go and rectify this himself, should every single player who uses the bladeworks and a gravtic drive also have to go talk to uncle candon about using his snowflake trait?

im not trying to sound mad or rude here it just seems like a better idea is to remove this discussion from the thread where it isnt relevant and instead do it else where where we can sit down and discuss why origin also has quite simple technology which happened to be done by one guy first

Look man, take a chill pill. It's a floating sword. A sword that floats.

Float, as in being in the air without some grunt to hold it there. Sword, as in a wedge on a stick.

You're taking two generic things and saying you own a slightly less generic thing. Now I get that line between what makes something unique and not-unique is very blurry, but don't you think that its just a bit silly getting mildly upset over a fictitious tool of war that anyone and their mother can come up with?

Like, for real. Do we really need to roleplay having your character pioneer the tech for floating swords? Even I thought of floating swords when I was twelve years old. Some nerd is going to grow up and think about floating sword at one point in their lives.

And, for the record Rizzo, your sword is far stronger than Skully's in terms of attack power. That sword's edge is wrapped in space-time mumbo jumbo, capable of ripping apart anything at molecular levels, and yet Skully just has a really sharp wedge on a stick that can turn into a really sharp stick. Your sword is based on samurai swords, while his sort of strikes me as something you find in Legend of Zelda for some weird reason. Yours is made to be death incarnate, his is basically a weapon + tool.

The only trade off I can discern between yours and his, is that your Death Incarnate has a battery, while his has the worlds smallest infinite energy faucet.

Heck, Skully and I both made weaponized gauntlets. Even if Skully thought to give his some of that sweet link + float action, I would only feel a bit salty that I didn't go the extra mile to add a revolver in my gauntlets. But, I'd still be content because I know the gauntlets I managed to get still have my identity imprinted onto them. They are the knight-esque fists of fisting with some swirly comets that punch and grab stuff, all the while being a cheap tool very handy in the field of technician stuff. Even if someone copied that same idea, I would not be mad because those gauntlets, them Star Servantines, mean something else to me as well as my character than to anyone else, and as far as I know, they may as well be the only one unless I meet another guy who has the same thing.

Basically what I am saying is that this is a pretty silly argument, and it really shouldn't have happened in the first place considering the content being discussed in a submission thread. Stop it, get some help.

@club24 just because something isn't important to you doesn't mean it's unimportant to others. This happens to be of great personal importance to myself. Is it rational? Probably not. Does it make sense? I doubt it.
I'm just grateful that SirSkully is at least willing to let me have this one RP so that I can feel better about this submission. I won't lie, this is kind of painful for me and being able to at least be a part of the IC creation is a comfort that I cannot thank him enough for.
@SirSkully again, thank you for doing this for me. This matters a great deal to me and I know that it's a total courtesy on your part. Thank you.

I'm not trying to say its unimportant, but my overall point is that this device is a widely used and sold thing by orgin and singling out a single customer
You'll have to ask @Ethereal seeing as it's his plot the character is involved in.

EDIT: I never thought using a list to make a fricking sword would cause so much uproar.
also i figured since we are looking at specifics here i might as well point out skully never actually agreed but just mentioned you need to ask eth, who may or may not say yes to your request as well

essentially this is the situation
candon made a flying sword, nice work him

bit later immortal makes the bladeworks page so that, in her words, "People wouldn't have to clog the NTSE with melee weapons all the time" I spoke to her in DM's earlier and she expressed that she intended for bladeworks to operate in a way that meant people didn't have to submit their custom weapons as all the components were approved in that submission, including a gravtic drive

now since, to the best of my knowledge obtained from the wiki, candon did not patent the technology this doesnt seem out of the ordinary at all, his sword was a one off and then expressed an interest in making a commercial one

so i will say this again as it is a very easy solution, we need to take this to a different thread where origin creating the tech similar to candons can be properly discussed. instead of asking skully to do an rp for a single device when there has been weapons used IC and approved earlier that use the same technology that were not given this treatment. again, not mad or anything, it just seems that this discussion has become more personal than it needs to be, when the issue you have raised is a bit bigger scale than between two characters, Kaede didn't design the components nor did he build it, he just did the equivalent of ordering a pizza

@club24 then why do you keep bringing this up like I'm wronging him somehow? Do you think that he's in trouble or something?
Also, Candon would have patented his design because He went on to found a manufacturing corporation and keeps records of his armor with SARA, why would he not patent it?

I'm simply asking for a favor from SirSkully. I'm not even the one reviewing. Are you trying to discredit him now?

I'd like to just say some things:

1) I never said yes to the rp, true
1a) it would just quicker for everyone to just have this over and done with here in this thread

2) It doesn't seem in any way like club is trying to "discredit me"
2b) honestly, I'd like to know where you dug this up, lol

3) I just came here to get a weapon approved, plain and simple, not incite whatever this is

Last edited:
Hello! Let's see if this submission meets the requirements for inclusion in Star Army's lore...

[ ✔️ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ✔️ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ✔️ ] 3. The article follows our wiki style guidelines, including: No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✔️ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ✔️ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate
[ ✔️ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ N/A ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ✔️ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ✔️ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ N/A ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

A couple of notes:
  • I mean no offense, @Rizzo, but I'm going to go ahead and say that roleplay is not required for this weapon, nor should Candon receive credit for it. This is because in my opinion, the Sword Spear's additional features - such as its ability to also transform into a spear - make it a unique design.
  • I'm going to go ahead and say that FM approval from Wes or Nashoba for Origin submissions is not yet required, as ICly the law requiring that corporations declare a home faction has not yet passed.

Last edited:
Thanks again for submitting an article to the wiki! Time for some final steps for the reviewer...

[ ✔️ ] 1. State clearly that the article is approved in the submission thread
[ ✔️ ] 2. Move the wiki article to its permanent (destination) location on the wiki
[ ✔️ ] 3. Move the submission thread to the Approved Submissions subforum or get a moderator to
[ ✔️ ] 4. Edit the article to add a link to the approval thread in the OOC Notes section
[ N/A ] 5. Link other articles to the approved article as appropriate (equipment lists, etc.)

@Ametheliana - would this weapon be added to the List of Firearms and Combat Gear?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back