• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

The Rather Large Hyperspace Array (Map rearrangement concept)

It's more about reducing Yamatai to a more manageable size without having to give up such an important star system.

I think it would be easier to just have the system out there on its own like Hawaii.

You can't really view space on the map as claimed territory, only planets count, and their proximity to one another is mostly psicological.

Why not reduce Yamatai's size and have it have colonial pockets? Regions that are self governing 'protectorates' made up of groups that aren't officially under Yamatai's control except maybe for a hub world here and there, but depend on Yamatai for military protection while they get themselves set up?

It's more about reducing Yamatai to a more manageable size without having to give up such an important star system.
Wait what?

Wes, to me, that doesn't even make any sense.

Yamatai is powerful namely because it has more territory than other nations.

And you don't have to give up "such an important system" (it is? it's a winery/small fort/vacation resort - Zack's hawaii references makes complete sense in that context o_O). Just leave it alone; there's no problem.

Otherwise, go for the star cluster map and use it as a medium to do a few retcons (seriously, Hanako's World wasn't even there in the first place - I'd much rather beleive it was never moved from where Kotori/Rufus had their oh-so-short shoreleave). I find myself far more tolerant to having a star system's position be retconned than having the justification for the move being because of due to ubertech-that-should-be-gone.

There are plenty of ways to handle reducing Yamatai to a more managable size without actually killing it.

The Empress begins setting up 'protectorate zones' where those unsatisfied with her rule can move to and begin setting up their own infrastructure and governments. Yamatai will foot the bill for defense for X number of years, or until the systems can defend themselves.

Throw out a civil war plot. Fracture Yamatai that way. Massive event, loads of drama and fun and player interaction, everybody trying to get a piece of the pie as the largest power in space falls apart at the seams and tries to hold itself together.

The NMX return with a brutal series of attacks using recovered Black Claw Empire tech, ripping a bloody trail through many systems, fragmenting the current structure of politics, allowing the rise of new powers and the fall of old ones as everyone reprioritizes.

There's a thousand better ways to handle this that'll promote tons of roleplay, story telling, etc. The reduction of Yamatai's size, if it is NOT a pure retcon, probably should be a HUGELY significant event in the history of the game.

Yamatai could just look at their return on investment.

All those planets take a lot of resources to constantly patrol, defend, ect. Close down some of the bases they aren't using and focus on the ones that provide a benefit to the empire.

Pretty much. Set up 'colonial zones' with large gaps in between them and let anybody who wants to expand into those zones have them. Keep their built up colonies and a buffer zone of worlds around those. A set up closer to imperial Britain perhaps?

Well, it looks like this idea is too controversial so I've decided not to do anything.

If you want to reduce Yamatai's size that should be something fairly significant in the lore, and it can still go down, but talk with the GMs and engineer something to trigger the decision amongst them perhaps rather than just Deus Exing it?

Well, it looks like this idea is too controversial so I've decided not to do anything.
Wes, I'm open to retconning the starmap. I'm open to you moving Hanako's World and its star system. Just as long as we go for the "it was always there" feel. I don't want it justified on some piece of technology.

Besides, that's not where the system was when Rufus and Kotori had their first date. So, already, to me, Hanako's World is already not in the right place.
Just where do you want it? Can you point it out to us?

The Cluster Map was a good idea, but very few people were good about filling out and updating their respective clusters.

I think he means the actual image files, but I think many of them were deleted when the idea flopped.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back