• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

The Rather Large Hyperspace Array (Map rearrangement concept)

I will say, as a point of clarification, the Elysian capitol system and their homeworld was not intended to be moved; rather, their other systems would be shuffled around/moved/etc. Currently, Elysia Novus is in a spot easily described as "awkward", a capitol world isolated in its own political island compared to Yamatai and Nepleslia. That being said, I'm also open to additional options being discussed - to be topical to the current narrative, the Kuvexians might attack from the "north" and take over systems in the area Legix had drawn around (and some other systems in that general area, of course). After the Kuvexians get pushed away from the Kikyo sector there may be a "hole" in that area.

Or perhaps, some Mishhuvurthyar remnants try to start up a mess in those systems with all the focus on Kuvexia, and this would give the bigger nations a reason to actually try to trust the prissy angels with something - "clean up this infestation and the planets are yours" basically.

An alternative idea for this would be that the Kuvexians attempt to make a device similar to this - after all, they are incredibly powerful "bad guys" - but with the aim to weaponize it, literally throwing a star system or three at Yamatai in an attempt to wreak havoc and potentially destroy key systems that are keeping the catgirl nation together... But the tech simply doesn;t work right, and they "miss", the stars and maybe some of their planets make it through in a relatively intact state but the device they used ended up destroying itself mid-use and the star systems it transported are damaged/made incredibly unstable.

Of course, some minor retconning to move certain systems around would work but it'd require some fairly thorough wiki combing to ensure properly updated information exists.

We could pull a Star Wars, where there's a star system that doesn't exist on the records, if we wanted to, as well.

I dunno, honeslty - I'm just throwing ideas at the wall here. I think that planetary and stellar relocation, especially over vast distances, should be extremely rare no matter what. Even these incredibly powerful civilizations can't build one easily, cheaply, or quickly.

I'm all for superstructures and moving systems with space magic, but why doesn't Elysia just give up the colonization projects its undertaken beyond Elysia Novus? I just checked the articles and only one really mentions "colonists" as a population beyond what Elysia Novus has (which represents the vast bulk of Elysian people). Elysia's colonization project, as it stands in wiki canon, is not a success whatsoever. The most logical IC way to get a more consolidated Elysia is to realize all but one of their systems is absolutely unremarkable and start over, especially since we're no longer constrained by where dots on the map are.

Conveniently finding new systems where you want them requires less suspension of disbelief than producing tech to move all these systems on a realistic timetable.

If we are rearranging the map, I think we should probably think bigger then moving just Elysia. Framing it as a huge natural disaster that effected all of space would both allow us to make some other changes that would promote RP and create interesting conflicts.

@Ametheliana Just to add some resolution to that point about the Leyline system... Honestly, I've just kind of been ignoring the entire thing's existence since even I think that technology is far too vague and much too easily abused as-written. Given that the setting already also has infinite energy, doing things like portal-ing a piece of a star onto a planet's surface just becomes way too easy. There is also the slight problem that Yam-Freespacer relations have remained excessively cold.

Open to ideas and willing to help, but I have no idea how to solve both of those problems.

Im just giving my two cents on the topic, it looks great to do something like this. Thought I have some concerns or questions aboutit.
  • How many systems can it ‘relocate’ at one time? In my head, of something like this would exist, I say one system each round?
  • How long is the cooldown of this machine?
  • Where will it be constructed?
  • Is it what if kuvexians Or mish take it over?
  • Another thing, how does it effect the current plots?

• I'd build hyperspace arrays big enough to move one system around at a time, maybe with a second one as a backup
  • I was thinking it could move one system a month - not so much a cooldown but a charge-up period.
  • It would be built somewhere in core Yamatai since the KMS is in Kuvexian Hands
  • If they do the SAOY will try to get it back, or at least destroy it before they use it for bad stuff. Most likely the Kuvexians will take it back to Kuvexia and rearrange their systems with it for profit
  • Current plots? I'm not sure it would affect them at, although the idea of Yamatai fighting its way into the KMS and then stealing the Hanako's Star System with the hyperspace array is a really interesting one. They could move the system back to Yamatai space and then mount an invasion of the system which is suddently cut off form Kuvexian forces, which would make an epic RP moment.

Thanks for answering my questions @Wes :D And as Resistance GM I would be interested in such a loophole in the plot, but that also means shorten the mission frameline of what I planned. I got the puzzle on it, its def interesting.

We could make the build timeline match your plot plan's timeline if you want to have this idea be part of your plot!

We could make the build timeline match your plot plan's timeline if you want to have this idea be part of your plot!
Well currently we are in a mission to get the communication tower down and work in our favor. Maybe send a message to YAM space telling "We are still here" and thus admirality making the move to use this device but more communication and details might be needed. Ahhh my creativity engine is spinning....

And how would this plot device be disposed of after we no longer need it? Or would the threat of someone snatching your home system loom overhead from now on?

I don't want to dispose of it. Instead I'd like to take the component systems (I imagine this as a collection of a whole bunch of hyperspace systems that could also work on their own) and use them for smaller resource collection tasks like moving asteroids around and stuff. Basically they'd fade into the setting background and would be available in case Yamatai ever needs to evacuate interstellar objects from the path of a supernova or something terrible.

What about the plot complication that Yamatai (the planet) can just run away from any form of trouble now? Like, doesn't that make it impossible to invade/have a climactic final episode of sorts? Also, how does Yamatai have this technology but a much larger and economically stable force like the Kuvexians do not?

The one way I could see this working is if a serious downside was introduced, at least. As an example, perhaps moving something like a planet takes several hundred small 'hops' and can't be done all at once... Which means you have to deal with the consequences of the atmosphere freezing solid and having to deal with a lack of sunlight for several months of journey time.

A.k.a. It's an actual massive undertaking that must be prepared for, not a decision that can just be immediately made at the drop of a hat with zero negative effects.

Putting all my cards on the table, using the leyline system to do this *has* come up before, but we were going to move some planets piece by peace rather than all at once... Basically making it a method of constructing a new planet rather than moving it.

There should be critical complications to something so insanely broken as having the ability to move entire systems.

Especially when people can abuse such a thing to do things like move a sun inside another systems sun, Or throw planets at other planets.

For OOC planet movement its neat. But lets not pretend there arent people who have come to the community in the past who seek to exploit loopholes and its easier to add consequences to something so powerful now than to have a 30-page long argument on why its ok when someone abuses it or comes across it later and is upset with how abusable and OP it is.

I haven't kept up with the thread so i dont know if anything like this has been mentioned but considering there is already dimensional hopping technology in yamatai i think its a good risk that moving such massive celestial bodies intact has a significant risk that planets can go missing. Im not talking inhabited planets but those unused, uncolonized planets, moons, etc. That just Disappear. And make you pause for a moment and thank your lucky stars that it wasnt a planet of billions.

Likewise on the dimension hopping topic its a good chance to have things that shouldn't be, be. There are now Two of that planet that exist side by side and are some kind of cosmic anomaly pulled from another dimension that could be empty, inhabited by the same population with unknown consequences, from a universe where Uesu is still in charge and is hostile to yamatai/elysia, A planet full of elysians who won against yamatai and became the Kikyo superpower and are hostile, Or just a weird-world that was inhabited but died off in some unknown catastrohpe to investigate before it spreads to the rest of the system . That creates plenty of opportunities to RP on from the scientific and humanitarian to the militaristic where you can find old baddies for fun and have some past/future fighting without needing it to be soft canon that the kaiyo just noticed an Extra world that has old buy familiar ships that suddenly fire on it, etc.

My point is that we lose nothing by doing something like that and it cant be done every ten seconds cause despite the amount of worlds it has and how carelessly they can throw away lives, Yamatai doesn't want to just risk losing planets full of billions or risk it beyond a limited capacity because of what eldritch dimensional catastrophe might occur when the Nh-33 version of whatever Uesu would have concocted by now are covering a planet that is now floating alongside its twin but somehow not colliding and if the planet isn't destroyed who knows what hole it will tear into space time but you cant just glass it that easily its now invading your planet, has ships of its own, and they invested their aether tech into planetary shields or anti-aether waves.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back