Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

Perhaps the beret for when at base, and the Patrol Cap for when in the field?

Question? Does the the Star Army or the Infantry thereof have subdued rank insignia?

In the field, they would wear the existing field uniform and its field cap.

I've also been eying this type of hat:

2007723633175474.jpg

As for rank insignia for ground forces, I think we need to create it still.

Last edited:
For the rank insignia for ground forces- I think a subdued version of the stripes would be mostly sufficient. They can use the normal insignias on formal uniforms.

As for the subdued colors, the standard olive drab is probably good, though we may want to look for a color that's more distinctly Yamataian.

Somewhat related - I was also thinking of changing the lower enlisted ranks to green instead of red, to make them easier to tell apart.

FLEET - Service Dress

Officer: Gold Sleeve Stripes
WO: Blue Sleeve Stripes
NCO: Red Chevrons on Arm
ENL: Green Bars on Arm (changed from current red bars)

LEGION (planetary forces) - Service Dress

Officer: Gold Sleeve Stripes
WO: Blue Sleeve Stripes
NCO: Red Chevrons on Arm
ENL: Green Bars on Arm

LEGION (planetary forces) - Field Uniform

Officer: Mini rank pin on hat/helmet (?)
WO: Mini rank pin on hat/helmet (?)
NCO: Black Chevrons on Arm
ENL: Olive Green Bars on Arm

I'm not going to give Star Army one of those giant Commissar Caps.

If the female hat I posted was used, a peaked cap would be used for males.

Female version (blue)
awww.xtrb.cn_gf_attachement_jpg_site1_20070705_07f6a00d60.jpg

Male (blue)
xin_39070404153070323341.jpg

Female (white)
xin_050704041624773182735.jpg

Male (white)
xin_480704041623168106584.jpg

Note that the images used are for example purposes only and the details would be changed to fit Star Army.

A peaked cap could also be used with females though:
1216505801572.jpg

As a general note, the current sailor cap is very easy to draw, as are berets. Whatever we choose for the Legion's duty hat, it shouldn't be too complicated.
10158932_1_l.jpg

Also, comments on the rank proposals?

Wes said:
I'm not going to give Star Army one of those giant Commissar Caps.
I wasn't trying to suggest that and I wouldn't want it either.
I'd prefer both genders wearing the same hat or at least the same hat style.
By the way, I quite like the dimensions of the female peaked cap you posted.

Why not keep it how it is and not have SAoY people weat hats at all. Not like they are needed by culture to wear them ot something.

I'm all for Patrol caps for planetary infantry. Giving us the option for something like a Boonie hat would be neat too.

Perhaps expand the list for current 'Navy' ranks? As it is, I don't think there's enough to have a full chain of command for officers on the ground. Transferring it over, there's this huge jump between Company commanders and Brigade commanders.

I also support what Kai said.

ShotJon said:
Why not keep it how it is and not have SAoY people weat hats at all. Not like they are needed by culture to wear them ot something.
There has never been a time in the history of of the Star Army where there wasn't a Star Army hat. Until the blue sailor cap, we used the tricorn (it covers neko ears well).

ai.telegraph.co.uk_telegraph_multimedia_archive_01243_red_coats_1243356i.jpg

Kai said:
I'm all for Patrol caps for planetary infantry. Giving us the option for something like a Boonie hat would be neat too.
The patrol cap/field cap is part of the field uniform. A boonie cap is already available too. I will not use any camo hats with the duty or service dress uniforms, though, because they are difficult to color for artists.

SSharp said:
Perhaps expand the list for current 'Navy' ranks? As it is, I don't think there's enough to have a full chain of command for officers on the ground. Transferring it over, there's this huge jump between Company commanders and Brigade commanders.
Could you be more specific? Where would you need to add a rank?

Currently, for Legion forces:

Platoon (20): NCO
Century (100): Low officers (centurions), Shoi, Chui, Taii
Battalion (1000): Shosa, Chusa, Taisa
Legion (20,000): Chujo

Attachments

• 10042.jpg
    10042.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 68
That might be, but when I look at SAoY art I do not really see much hats. Neither do I encounter them in IC posts much. Why did Tricorn faded out anyway?

ShotJon said:
That might be, but when I look at SAoY art I do not really see much hats. Neither do I encounter them in IC posts much. Why did Tricorn faded out anyway?
The tricorn and cloak were replaced by the blue sailor cap (Type 32) and the black frock coat (Type 32) for these reasons:

IC:

- The blue cap is easier to store (it's soft and doesn't take up much space). Since the hats aren't used all the time (as you noted, they don't show up in the RP a huge amount), that's a factor.
- The blue cap is more modern looking than the tricorn but it is still traditional.
- Easy identification (when approved, the ribbon text had the ship/unit name). However, this was later changed to just STAR ARMY.

OOC:

- The blue cap is easy for artists to draw without messing it up.
- The ribbon text basically turns our character art into free advertising for Star Army whereever the art is posted.
- The blue cap better fits the psuedo-Japan theme of the YSE faction.

I definitely love that blue cap shown in the first image you linked, Wes. That's a solid design for the fleet portion of the Star Army.

What do you think of adding a silk sash to the Star Army's Service Dress uniform?

It would be used to display medals. Think Battlestar Galactica Dress Grays.

The sash could be bellflower purple, perhaps?

It seems kind of cool to me, but I'd really prefer just sticking them on one side of the chest.
A sash just seems impractical/inefficient to me.

Amaryllis said:
It seems kind of cool to me, but I'd really prefer just sticking them on one side of the chest.
A sash just seems impractical/inefficient to me.
Because we use a double-breasted coat instead of a singlebreasted one, there's not really room for them.

Sashes and formal occasions go hand-in-hand!

B-b-but even though I was thinking of Star Trek from the start when I read sashes I still don't want to channel it.

Even with wearing them on the chest being impractical I'd still prefer some other method of wear over a sash.

A sash over a coat makes less visual sense than the coat by itself as a formal uniform.

I know you don't want to hear this Wes, but I think that if you're going to push for a formal-occasion, medal-wearing uniform, you need to design something that is simple for artists and sensible for soldiers.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back