Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

The Star Army would become the laughing stock of the galaxy if they used the Tricorne.
They currently DO use the tricorne...and nobody's laughing.

The navy one is kind of weird and not very professional looking (this is the military we are talking about)
The Navy one was used by almost every military in the world until the dixie cup became more fashionable around WW2.

And it looks good on guys too.
aworldoffancydress.com_images_Sailor_20Marine_20Hat.jpg

They currently DO use the tricorne...and nobody's laughing.

I am, because now I am imagining Japanese Catgirls wearing Pirate outfits on spaceships that look like caravels

EDIT: and I bet there's an anime of it somewhere

The Navy one was used by almost every military in the world until the dixie cup became more fashionable around WW2.
[/quote]
Just because they were used doesn't mean I can't have the opinion that they look weird and unprofessional. This thread was for people to voice their opinions on a new look :3

And I have to agree. While I know how widely used the sailor's cap used to be, I've never thought it looked good, while I do like the garrison cap. I like the ushanka over the pile cap as well, but that's just my silly Eastern European side speaking.

It's odd how Scot's idea of animal ears appealed to me more than the above, just because it allowed the notion of avoiding military hats altogether.

I think it's stems from my absolute and utter dislike of most military uniforms whom in my eyes look unappealing. I find nothing 'hot', 'cool' and 'attractive' about them. I simply don't see them belonging on Star Army formal wear because... well, because they don't feel right. Animal ears hairbands would look equally out of context, but I'd gladly accept their silliness if it meant escaping the hats that came out on top in the poll.

Simply put, military hats don't belong on the head of catgirls. You'll never see me consent to Kotori wearing one. It'd break my suspension of disbelief of how Yamatai presents itself beyond Wes' it's-like-that-because-I-say-so assurances. With no aim to disrespect the militarymen frequenting the site, I think they'd look idiotic on our catgirls.

Also, weak but compelling-to-me-argument: They don't wear hats in Star Trek. And in colder weather they have the decency of wearing woolen winter caps or hoods. Or baseball-style caps with their ship name/logo on them.

That's my opinion.

Here's art of the coat (This is the short version--one that reaches to just above the knees is in progress)

Attachments

• type33servicedresscoat.jpg
    type33servicedresscoat.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 196
Alright, here's the updated version. I like this one better.

Attachments

• type33servicedresscoat2.jpg
    type33servicedresscoat2.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 181
I'm trying to be helpful by thinking a unique idea, because I like unique ideas. My "animal ears" idea does seem more toward a hunting organization than a military one.

When I suggested my first two ideas, I was under the assumption that Yamatai's army is dominitly female and would probably have a hat that would look cute on girls, and probably on guys. I forget however that the creator is however, who the target audience would be for these changes.

I apologize if I seemed like I was trolling, I like unique ideas to a fault at times. I see Yamatai Star Army as a Japanese one with some Norse elements, and seeing it is also probably the only Japanese one ever to be on SARP makes me feel disappointed when it doesn't borrow these elements moreso.

If the GM wants the hats to have the romanized version, I guess that's okay (but not preferred) but the hats should match for all crew members; however, Japanese ship names should probably be in Japanese since it is the Yamataian language. I think your artist should be able to do the Kanji if you provide them with a good reference they can copy it off of.

Well, it's been about a half a year and the service dress uniform is widespread now! How is everyone liking it now that it's in action? The only problem I've run into so far (not a huge problem) is I don't have a good way yet of changing the hat text when a character transfers ships. Not a huge deal, though.

Some suggestions I've got are:

- Allow tricornes to be used still, optionally (they're great for Neko ears)
- Create a special "Captain Gloval" hat for captains

I'm hesitant to introduce more hats or variations into the mix, though. The simplicity of the new uniform is its beauty. I can tell commission artists "I need this character in this uniform" and they're good to go because I don't have to specify the hat type, ship patch, fleet patch, or occupation color. When doing a whole crew, those details become a hassle to track.

---

Summer White Sailor Uniform for Nekos

Recently there was some talk in the chatroom about a new optional uniform for Star Army females that was a sailor style dress...something like this:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/ ... 37ii0d.png

Responses so far have been positive so I'm interested more feedback.

Brainstorming below:

- Think sailor uniform meets nightgown!
- Used for warm places and in the summer
- Only available for female soldiers in the Star Army's Naval Fleet
- Why no male version? Because the SAoY is mostly nekos!
- Light alternative to duty uniforms, good for sprites and stuff
- Comes with Standard issue?
- Usable as alternate exercise uniform?
- Inexpensive to make and cheaply available at ship stores
- Simple design = easy for artists to draw
- Worn with white version of the sailor cap?
- What kind of waist? The one in the linked picture has an integrated belt with a bow tie on the back.
- What color should the neck area be? Light blue? Dark blue? Light teal?

Attachments

• mango.png
    mango.png
    153.3 KB · Views: 104
"I don't understand. Why does it look like she's ready to get raped?" — My lovely wife, K, in reference to the example image above.

Wes, you go and commission great art for the new Field Uniform. Hey, the ARMY is back in Star Army! Woo! Mostly happy people abound. We have a serious looking military, one that can stand up to the Nepleslian's appearance and attitude. Well done!

Then came this outdoor uniform that's above. OK, so many people weren't hot on the hat, but at least the coat's nice and it can be worn with pants. Everyone looks like a sailor. They're on ships; it makes sense! Well played.

Now ... now you want to turn Nekovalkyrja, a proud race that once wore skintight, exploitative uniforms and finally now wears a respectable uniform in the Type 31 Working Uniform or even the older Type 30 skirt uniform — you want to turn them into schoolgirls, Wes.

I suggest an alternative: Use something closer to the Class B uniform of the U.S. Army of which you, I and many others here are so proud. It's clean, tasteful, attractive, professional and would make any person putting it on very proud to serve the Star Army of Yamatai.

Most of all, it's respectful of Nekovalkyrja and their service to the great Yamatai Star Empire.

Worried about ship and patches, as well as occupational rank? Dump them. Worried about hat type? Use the same hat you already have for the "winter" uniform. Use the rank pin or the sleeve bands; both are perfectly attractive and professional. Worried about the Class B's skirt? Dump it; pants for everyone means easier explanations for artists and, best of all, a consistent uniform for all of Yamatai's servicemembers.

Whatcha say, boss? Can we give it a whirl?

Doshii Jun said:
I suggest an alternative: Use something closer to the Class B uniform of the U.S. Army of which you, I and many others here are so proud. It's clean, tasteful, attractive, professional and would make any person putting it on very proud to serve the Star Army of Yamatai.

Most of all, it's respectful of Nekovalkyrja and their service to the great Yamatai Star Empire.

Worried about ship and patches, as well as occupational rank? Dump them. Worried about hat type? Use the same hat you already have for the "winter" uniform. Use the rank pin or the sleeve bands; both are perfectly attractive and professional. Worried about the Class B's skirt? Dump it; pants for everyone means easier explanations for artists and, best of all, a consistent uniform for all of Yamatai's service members.

Whatcha say, boss? Can we give it a whirl?

While I find this a beautiful and professional sounding idea, I will bet you fifteen dollars that the Yamataian Space Navy will be commissioning an entire off duty compliment of single piece sailor uniforms for their women.

I would counter with my general cynicism, mostly pertaining to any other major, or minor, setting update or change. But, I won't. I'll just be my vauge cynical self over here in the corner, waiting the next post from Wes that deals with him continuing with his idea.

Doshii Jun said:
SCHOOLGIRLS

Fund it.

On a more serious note, I love the sailor hat and coat of the Service Dress Uniform, but having the ship name on the cap-- is a little much, I think. Maybe if it said Star Army (like the example that shows U.S. NAVY) or nothing at all.

We know the following about nekos:

- They're born at the physical and mental maturity level of an 18 year old.
- As a species they tend not to be shy.
- They like looking sexy (tight is right! High level Zettai Ryouiki etc)

I was looking for something...minimal for the summer heat.

- - -

@Revolver: A "STAR ARMY" ribbon exists and has art even, we just would have to make it standard. I'm not sure if I want to or not though.

Attachments

• Toshiaki.png
    Toshiaki.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 63
Wes said:
We know the following about nekos:

Doshii Jun said:
SCHOOLGIRLS

I feel like I'm going to get a lot of use out of this quote.

(Alternatively, I was going to mention the kerasine, dare parties and chrome eggs in things we know about Wes^H^H^H neko)

Fake Edit: There's no or [strike] tags, so I went with old school ^H instead.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back