• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

Re: Star Army Hat

Why not a tiara? Something a little unorthadox, especially considering the female dominated Yamatai. Tiara's such as Greek or Romans.

Whoa! OK, tiaras are actually pretty cool!

Sadly, men would need helms or something. And the tiaras wouldn't do much for the weather.

Wes, are you thinking a Navy pea coat like this?

sigh...

I mean something like this http://www.centurynovelty.com/detail_293_014-66648.html

Besides I doubt most male Yamatain's are muscular or very manly looking compared to other races in the first place. Also because Yamatai is the banner race, a more unique look could go a long ways.

However going for something that looks appealing to females (who are like 80% of the workforce for the military) is more prominent than guys. This is a fem-military, not a male-military which is the point i'm trying to make.

I'm not saying that ALL YAMATAINS have no muscle, but they are hardly ID-Sols in comparison. I'd go with sailor hats otherwise since I'm sure any gundom/anime fan can work with that easy.

Wait, Doshii, when are ship captains have to deal with weather?

Edit: And yet I still can't properly explain myself, which is something of a weakness for me so I'll just step out now...

The hats are supposed to be outerwear. So when officers step outside at a base, such as Kyoto Base or something like that, they'd don the hats and coats.

Right. A metal tiara seems totally impractical.

Doshii: Yes, I was thinking of a good-looking peacoat in a style similar to the Deviantart image I posted earlier (light shiny buttons and down to just above the knees).

The Elysian military is more Grecian, they should have the laurels-style tiaras.

How about one of these? The site has pictures but unfortunately no labels. They're supposedly of Mongolian and/or Norse influence. I was looking for more Norse-based hats, but in my brief investigation I didn't turn up anything else that was not a helmet, and the Nekowalkyrja could use a little more recognition for the other culture that inspired them (or at least their name!).
Example 1
Example 2
Cute

Close to the Soviet design, but a little less bulky. There is also this design if you want room for logos and rank/other insignia.

Doshii: The first image looks similar to what I want but it has more of a straight shape whereas the coat I hat in mind as more of a flair at the base. The second one says "NMX" to me, because the NMX like a style of uniforms that are best described as "American Civil War meets Soviet Russia."

Missingno: I like those hats but I think the Ushaka may be the more practical because it has a very similar looking "flaps up" configuration but also the ability to put the ear covers down. As for the Elysian military, it was absorbed into the Star Army (and is now the Tenth and Eleventh Fleets) so they will probably we wearing Star Army hats too.

Despite lukewarm popularity, I still really like the sailor cap. It's is a historic hat worn by practically every major navy in the world until the "dixie cup" style took over. I like that we can put the ship names on it but it's not informal like a baseball hat would be, that it's easily stored because it's not rigid like the tricorne (I would never crush my personal tricornes, or fedoras for that matter) and it looks especially cute on female soldiers but also looks good on men due to its similarity to the beret or a floppy peaked cap without the brim.

The garrison hat looks good too but maybe we should reserve it for starfighter pilots or something. I dunno. It's not as "exotic" as the historic sailor cap because it's in modern use today (the modern feel is kind of Nepleslian territory I think, whereas Yamatai is more ecletic).

The ushanka is good stuff but I don't know it's suitable for the everyday. I'm thinking we'll use it in cold weather.

In summary:

- Probably going with the sailor cap and peacoat for normal outdoor wear
- Ushanka and thick fur coat for cold weather uniform (Snowy neko style)

Peacoat will probably be made of a lightweight material. The real heat insulation will be in the form of a removable liner. It is primarily decorative and anti-rain gear so it can have large shiny buttons. Rank pins worn on the breast for officers and WOs and rank patches on the upper arms for enlisted. Peacoat color will probably be black (though also considering blue-gray). Peacoat would be worn with duty uniforms (not working uniform). This would mean the dark coat would always be paired with light blue stockings or pants. Some changes may be made to standard issue to accomodate this.

The cap will be blue-gray with a black band. I have thought about making it colored by occupation or adding piping or a pin but I'm aiming for simplicity instead. Font will be Gill Sans MT and in gold (can be a less saturated gold perhaps) unless I come up with something better. Ships with Japanese names will have the actual Kanji or hiragana on the hats. Symbols are not allowed on the hat's name ribbon (do you guys think putting stuff on the top of hats at the unit commander's discretion should be allowed?).

The cold weather uniform will be an epic fur coat of some sort, the ushanka, and thick quilted pants with thick fur-lined boots. Because of the war and because it's fur it will probably be hard to come by--harder than the beaver skin tricorne was--so characters have to roleplay with their supply officer to get one.

Thoughts?

PS: Missing's Norse comment made me think of a ship full of soldier wearing horned viking helms, which was amusing.

As a former AF I find myself drawn to the Garrison Aka Flight Cap.

But a discussion on hats needs to determine the when and wherethey are to be worn. In the AF we had multiple hats our 'bus driver' hat with an optional raincover, usually worn for ceremonies and formal activities; garrison hat worn with our blues and by flight crews, utility hat Aka ball cap with utility uniform. We also had a Russian looking hat for winter tha the sides could flip down to keep you ears warm

It's your sandbox, Wes. I still think it doesn't look that good on male characters, but as long as there are no tails on it ...

Hmm, speaking of which one could always go the "moe" route and have animal ear hats signify the branches of military. A new meaning to "earning those ears!"

Doshii: The votes came out as 2 for the sailor cap, 2 for the garrison hat, and 1 for the Ushanka so I went with the cap based on personal preference, though I'm still open to using the garrison hat in the future...was thinking maybe we should give it to all the fighter and bomber pilots and crewmen (along with a leather bomber jacket and scarf!)

Scot: I'm not sure if you're serious or just trolling, but The idea of faux ears on a professional military hat seems contradictory.

Other uniform update ideas: I'm considering changing the color of the Duty Uniform pants to white and switching from boots to shoes on the duty uniform. Thoughts?

Could you specify which uniform you are referring to because on the Star Army Uniform page, only the Male Type 30 Duty Uniform has pants.

- Male Type 30 Duty Uniform Pants
- Female Types 30A and 30B Stockings

With the advent of the Unisex Star Army Working Uniform, why not make a Type 33 Duty Uniform version that is Unisex, based on the Male Type 30 Duty Uniform with pants for both genders?

Because skirts are appealing! But optional pants for females is entirely fine.

While I myself am not much for Yam, I would have to say go with either the Ushanka or the Garrison cap. The navy one is kind of weird and not very professional looking (this is the military we are talking about), and The Star Army would become the laughing stock of the galaxy if they used the Tricorne. Take it from someone whose been in Service, the military isn't always supposed to be unique, and often the only real difference between factions is the flag they wave and maybe the color of uniform

RPG-D RPGfix
Back