Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

That with a color matched pair of glossy tights and some calf-high high-lace boots with a matching color motif and an emphasis on functionality would be really really sweet.

On paper, though, this means taking whats usually white in the SA uniform and making it blue and swapping the blue for the white and throwing in some gold trim. I think that might actually be an interesting uniform experiment on paper. Even better if this plugs into an already functional uniform (say for example, something like a matte bodysuit or plugsuit with an emphasis on functionality)...

Huh. Moments like this, I wish I didn't suck at character stuff. Though... Hmmm. I might take a crack at this in photoshop tomorrow morning.

Some thoughts this morning:

1. Star Army uniforms, when updated, should have a distinctive visual look and feel to them. With the service dress uniform, it's simple (on purpose) but it is kind of bland and could fit into an 1800s RP just as well as Star Army. So I'm looking for a more futuristic look.

2. Haha, is it just me, or does the Service Dress Uniform still look better than the US Olympic Team uniform?

aassets.nydailynews.com_polopoly_fs_1.1111209__img_httpImage_i2c6e81fd57d065325a9b54161f2f6cfc.jpg

Rough duty uniform concept. A simplified version of the current one -- color panels removed (could be moved to loops on the shoulder epaulettes), ranks borrowed from the coat, zipper front.

Attachments

• duty uniform concept 1.png
    duty uniform concept 1.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 86
Another concept

Attachments

• duty uniform concept 2.png
    duty uniform concept 2.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 76
I honestly think we should stick with what we have. While I don't like the current uniform set, if I'm going to advocate any changes, it's backwards, not brand new ones.

Concept 3

Attachments

• duty uniform concept 3.png
    duty uniform concept 3.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 71
What looks better, the above concept or the original Type 22 uniform?
fetch.php

I prefer Option 3 over the Type 22. As long as there's still a duty uniform, and the overcoat is modified to have straighter, heavier sleeves, I think it will be a uniform that can serve us for many years.

Here's a mockup image I drew:

fetch.php

I want your comments.

So does the colored section go around to the back or is it just the front?

Epaulets wow... does that mean were moving the rank to the shoulders?

Going old-school. Kinda like it.

So the zipper is at the center of the torso, I take it? And the flap of the garment is buttoned down, zippered, false? Just trying to see how you take it on and off.

Velcro along the piping? I don't see a zipper down the center with the detailing on the side.

I figured the zipper was hidden under the flap, like a motorcycle jacket. I wouldn't think Velcro is a good way to go, but the Army uses it all over the place.

I had snaps in mind. The color panel is front and back identically. Can add detail when I get home. What color should belt be?

Ok, now is that supposed to be the occupation color? and what about the sides of the torso or is all of the torso all one color.

The problem with that is it ruins the concept of uniformity, a crew gathering will look like a rainbow.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back