Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

I am totally in favor of replacing the Mindy logo with something simpler and more elegant. Just sayin'.

I think something more Militaristic should be an order then a lily flower though. This is Star Army after all, not Star Botany.

Why not simply update the Mindy artwork within the Hinomaru? This way, we have a newer, more updated Hinomaru, which does not completely invalidate the old art.

I would like to note that I am not exactly in favour of changing this. It kinda fits with SAoY in my opinion. Plus it was there for ages, might as well stay there. Not to mention one thing. It is not only emblem of SAoY in RP, but also emblem of the site itself.

Ira said:
I think something more Militaristic should be an order then a lily flower though. This is Star Army after all, not Star Botany.

I donno, the Imperial Japanese Navy warships used to have the Imperial Seal of Japan on their bow, it was a Chrysanthemum Flower.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/Imperial_Seal_of_Japan.jpg

As for the Hinomaru its self. I actually like it the way it is. I agree its dated, but I think changing it entirely would be hard to find something worthy after so long a time. I would say maybe updating the graphics a bit like ShotJon suggested, but keeping the same idea. Unless we come up with something out of the blue that is absolutely spectacular....

I'm not Shotjon ;o; I suggested to update the mindy inside, not him!

Do something like the Planetary Infantry patch for the Hinomaru, except with newer Mindy art in the red roundel instead of the Daisy art in the camo roundel for the PI patch.

I actually think the Mindy is good in principle. It's very simple with its lines — like something a real military would use and stamp on their jet fighters/make patches out of. But I agree with Fred's assessment that it looks a little dated, especially compared to the rest of art around these days.

I'm slowly merging the service dress uniform into the duty uniform, so rather than being its own uniform, the coat and cap are considered optional parts of the duty uniform.

I'm thinking about making some sort of jacket for the exercise uniform. Maybe a hoodie with a front zipper?

ShotJon said:
I would like to note that I am not exactly in favour of changing this. It kinda fits with SAoY in my opinion. Plus it was there for ages, might as well stay there. Not to mention one thing. It is not only emblem of SAoY in RP, but also emblem of the site itself.

This.

The Star Army Hinomaru is... well, the Star Army Hinomaru.

I can't even imagine what it would look like otherwise. Changing it would almost remake the site. If you want to update it or make it look 'not crude' get somebody to redraw it - but it's simple, it's smooth, it's clearly a space thing. We don't need something complex and I frankly don't think it would make sense for the IC Star Army to change their Mon, or for us, oocly, to scrap it just because a small minority dislike it.

Would anyone have issues with the Star Army Working Uniform optionally having a baseball cap when being worn outside?

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_41uwiBg27PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I know this may be unpopular since it goes against the vote we did a while back, but here's my thoughts:

- We don't have art for the Star Army's green beret
- Nepleslia's marines wear a green beret
- Berets are really similar to the brimless cap we already use

...so I'm thinking we just ditch the unseen Legion green beret and have all Star Army soldiers wear the blue-gray cap seen in the art.

Also, still looking for opinions on the above post.

Finally, I am considering making a gray version of the duty uniform that would be worn by non-sapient service robots who are not soldiers, but are owned by the Star Army and permanently assigned to work on Star Army ships as cleaners and servants, etc. Thoughts on this?

What cap are we talking about here? Just for clarity's sake. There's a lot of art out there. *grins*

No thoughts on robot uniforms. Seems very rare to see them anymore, especially with Nodal System cleaning power.

I'm down with ballcaps.

Seems very rare to see them anymore, especially with Nodal System cleaning power.
That hasn't been in the RP since like 2007.

What cap are we talking about here?
There's only one cap the Star Army is currently using: the Type 32 Cap.

I'm down with ballcaps.
Okay. Still mulling over their Yamataian-ness.

I'm not a fan of ballcaps. Personally I find them silly and unprofessional. the only time they look appropriate is when you are actually playing baseball.

As for Berets for the planetary infantry, perhaps just changing the color should suffice? If we want to avoid using Green as Nepleslia does, we could use black or a dark blue instead.

Red, blue, heck, there are LOTS of colors you can make a beret. I would much rather see a color shift then a ball cap, to be honest.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back