• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

The ball cap is suggested for the working uniform, which lacks a hat. The beret is an unseen accessory for the duty uniform that normally uses the standard flat cap. I'm not suggesting the baseball cap replace anything.

Everyone else seems to use the beret. But our cap is like beret +1.

If baseball didn't exist, what sport would there be for Japanese-based Yamatai to be good at and base mangas on?

Besides, I've already done a few baseball themed JPs, so we can assume the sport exists in its timeless form, right?

Seems fine to me, Kokuten.

I'm thinking about making purple the official uniform color for AIs. Or should Starship computers be considered starship operators and wear gray?

We've made it so there are no sprites. Pointing out the AI avatar seems no different, so I think grey makes more sense.

My vote goes for "starship operator's gray".

Firstly, it seems to be how it's done presently, and it seems to work.

Second, I think ship avatars do enough in distinguishing themselves to not need the help.

Third, it seems like just another 'not a real person' label. Considering how this was removed for sprites, and that laws on AIs have been passed on AIs, it is largely redundant to go the extra way to 'identify' (to make stand out) AI-avatars.

(edit: Doshii, stop reading my mind!)

Thanks for your feedback guys. It'll be gray, then.

Other updates:

- Still considering a jacket for the exercise uniform (your designs wanted)
- Ball cap approved for use with the working uniform (only) - Text added to wiki
- Still deciding on the Legion beret. Changing color has been suggested.
- Still deciding on a uniform for non-sapient servant robots in SAoY employment.

I need input on the stuff I'm still deciding on.

I think a track suit would be fine but I need some design ideas.

Here's our Type 35 Duty Uniform in action on Hanako:

So far, all of the duty uniform art of female characters has featured skirts. The skirt was originally intended to be an option, not something every Star Army female soldier wore. Do you think that art of female characters wearing the Star Army duty uniform should be wearing pants unless otherwise specified? Why or why not?

I think, because the skirt is optional, that it should be the player's decision whether or not their character would use it.

If their character uses it, then their art does too.

If not, then let's not see it.

I was thinking more along the lines of a default for people that didn't specify...although I could just ask. But I haven't got great response rates commenting on art, even when it's of their character!

In a related question, what do you think of having it be an option for the men too? I think Yamatai is a sufficiently advanced society where man-skirts are acceptable, even in the military.

We should probably have a few female arts with the slacks so that folks can see that the ladies can have pants. Would have made Freyja much happier on the Aeon.

You know, just gonna go out on a limb here and say it.

Skirts are a huge liability when the enemy literally uses institutional, industrialized rape as a weapon.

Yeah, but the Duty Uniform is not worn in battle, and no form of uniform is going to stop that.

We don't usually enter combat in the duty uniform, Exhack. The duty uniform is used for everyday stuff on friendly planets, office work, and for looking classy at events. It's not for fixing starships, construction labor, field training, and combat operations (unless you're a bridge bunny).

Nashoba said:
We should probably have a few female arts with the slacks
I definitely plan to when I get an opportunity.

Skirts are tactically disadvantageous, unless one is going for seduction and/or concealment tactics. Style is about the only argument for them, which depending on what one wants, can be a good enough reason since we're still dealing with fiction.

I don't see why you'd try analyze a formal uniform for its tactical value.

I'm just paranoid, that's all. I evaluate everything I wear for my ability to run and defend myself in it - along with other practical considerations.

Over the years we've commissioned a lot of art and worked with a lot of artists, each doing our own take on the Star Army uniforms. In this thread, I want to go through the various forms of belts found in Star Army Art.

In general, the male belt has been fairly consistent. It has, over the years, almost always remained the correct gray color (even when the boots and gloves were white, despite regulations saying they should match the belt) with a gold belt buckle. The belt goes straight across the waist:

It's the female belt where everything gets confusing, because it had an extra strap on the hip (to help with the female curves, I guess) and no one could figure out if the strap went up or down. Take a look. Here's some early art by me:

Irim's belt is straight across, as is this:

But, wait, on this art from the official uniform page, we have a slanted belt with the hip strap thing going up!

Here's it again, on a modified commission artwork where I added the belt:This was also on the uniform reference page.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…