• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

@Amaryllis: Hey those are a very cool idea! I could actually see something like this existing in the uniform somewhere, though it may only be for certain types of troops like the samurai or SAINT operatives.

Thanks. I think the article says it all really. It's liked by martial artists, construction workers, runners and climbers. All things Neko soldiers are at one point or another. They can always be made of some super material if a steel toe or something is still wanted.

Having the Jika-tabi as an option is a good idea, since it does provide a number of advantages, on top of being culturally relevant to Yamatai. I believe the Imperial Army used something very similar during WWII as well.

In regards to the Working Uniform, I think it's better off as-is. The Working Uniform is best suited for general work on board a ship. Not only that, but if a field uniform is desired, the Type 31 Field Uniform would still be better than a Working Uniform made to fill both roles. We also have to consider that there's already a good amount of art for it as well, including the very high quality ones from Zolaida. Rendering character art obsolete was a big issue with the change over to the Type 35, and it's something we best not repeat.

The Working Uniform is best suited for general work on board a ship. Not only that, but if a field uniform is desired, the Type 31 Field Uniform would still be better than a Working Uniform made to fill both roles.
If anything, the current working uniform is essentially a police uniform. It's dark blue, it has a police pistol belt, etc. I think it's a tactical uniform. So why not give it tactical colors? With the right colors, we could make the field uniform and the working uniform the same thing, maybe even recycle the old field uniform art.
We also have to consider that there's already a good amount of art for it as well, including the very high quality ones from Zolaida. Rendering character art obsolete was a big issue with the change over to the Type 35, and it's something we best not repeat.
That's a legitimate concern but we have to ask ourselves how long do we wait before it's okay to change stuff? In a couple weeks those artworks will be 3 years since they were completed. But we should probably go with when the uniform was introduced, since anyone could "reset the clock" by getting new art if we didn't.

For the Star Army of Yamatai, my rule of thumb is a life-cycle of 5 real-life years for every ship and piece of equipment we use. After that, I review it to see if it's doing what it's supposed to and choose whether or not I want to keep it, improve it, or discard it. We're actually on schedule for an update to the working uniform, since it was made in 2009. Avoiding duffel bag bloat (where the military issues way too much random crap and excessive numbers uniforms) is a concern of mine. I've trying to keep our list of uniforms fairly consolidated.

The Type 31 field uniform (also from 2009) was too complicated (mainly to draw) and rarely actually used in RP so we ditched it and used the coverall as a stopgap measure until we could figure out something better (which is showing up in the RP). That something is modifying the working uniform's color scheme/shirt to make it a sort of "BDU" for the Star Army that can be used on and off ships, for training and work, and basically be general purpose.

Edit: We could also look at making a tactical version of the AMES suit, too.

Edit 2: If we change the color of the working uniform and the coverall, what color do you suggest? Please post an example in the thread. One consideration is not every planet is green.

The color scheme would be the digital pattern painted onto the armor for the desired environmental conditions of the planet. As the field uniform go ... could probably be fabricated in the fabrication part of the ship with the proper materials at hands to make as needed for the proper environ to blend in better.

When not needed anymore, be recycled back into the base materials for reuse when needed to meet the required camouflage to fit with the environment that the SA Soldiers will be operating in future campaigns.

So I was thinking that the Star Army, or at least its predecessor, the Army of Uesureya, had infantry uniforms that were sage green. So maybe that could be a starting point for a more field-oriented working uniform.

Regular sage green is kind of light for camouflage (looking at you, ACUs!) so we could go for a dark shade.

It's also possible that we could recolor existing working uniform art to match this color. Another idea is to keep the dark blue working uniforms for the fleets/uchuugun (the "Space Navy" part of the Star Army) and use the dark sage green for the Rikugun (the planetary legions). This would mean the existing working uniform art would not be outdated as quickly.

Here's some color ideas:

field uniform color ideas.png

I'm kind of iffy on mallard because it's so green. I actually put it on there as an option for the duty uniform and it came from Hanako's sleeve on the recolor I posted a while back.

The uniform should be be at least decent in urban and other non-vegetated environments so it should probably be more drab, as Li suggested in chat. Maybe something in between?

Image13.png Image14.png

As for the foot wear. I like the idea of the Jika-tabi for foot wear. The idea of using the flexible footwear appeals to me more for being on ship and such with zero-g passageways. In zero-gravity being able to grip with your feet makes sense. I would say it would be work uniform as opposed to being part of dress uniform.

I think the question is if we should or need to change uniforms, rather than if we simply can. Even if it's been five years since a uniform's been introduced, that doesn't necessarily mean it requires change at all - it's the old saying of "Don't fix what isn't broken". However, if we're just simply having different color variations of the Working Uniform, with one for the navy and the other for ground forces, I'm fine with it. Artwork costs money, and it's unfair to players to have theirs become incorrect or obsolete due to it being entirely changed out.

As for Duffel Bag Bloat, if a new player is being given a pair of all three types of everyday uniform for their character, they should simply be allowed to choose one of the three for themselves. Further reducing it, the Coverall can be replaced with the Working Uniform if you decide to have a Navy and Ground variant of it.

When it comes to the work uniform; and this point I am going to say for use on a base or a station. Why do we have to use 20th century color schemes and patterns from our militaries. This is in the far future. Who says that a working uniform can't be other colors. This is sci-fi so lets make a bold statement. Why not a teal uniform? Or Gold one the color or for that matter make it an uber shiny gold uniform.

As for the camo uniforms. We should have a standard overall form, but as for color and pattern it depends on where they are going to be deployed, You want a different color if you are going to be in an urban environ vs an arctic one a destert one

We already have invisible armor and camo cloaks, why can't we just have field uniforms that are the default space blue or ground green and then actively shift into the appropriate color/camo in the field? Sci fi!

As for the camo uniforms. We should have a standard overall form, but as for color and pattern it depends on where they are going to be deployed, You want a different color if you are going to be in an urban environ vs an arctic one a destert one
That's the idea.

Alright, here's a concept for the tops to the new Utility Uniform, Type 37. As you can see it's based on the shape of the normal Star Army uniforms, but in a field color. In most other respects it will just be the Working Uniform in a field color suited to the environment.

utility uniform top.png

Desert-type version (just an example, might not actually be this exact color):
utility uniform top desert.png

Using multi-net pattern like the Type 31 Field Uniform was supposed to:
utility uniform in multi-net 3 camo.png

Bright gray (less saturated version of the regular duty uniform color), suggested by Lamb:
Star Army Utility Uniform Type 37 Class C bright gray.png

I don't think that would work out well - the cut of the jacket is clearly a formal one, not a field-practical design. Also, I suggest not going as far back as Uesureyan times for inspiration. My impression is that the SAoY didn't really gain its 'face' that everyone knows it by until the time period around YE 22-30, and more YE 29 and 30 in particular.

Star Army Utility Uniform Type 37 Class C.png
Here's a more refined version. Added some stitching and removed the fancy cuffs (since, as Cadetnewb pointed out, they're suited for a dress uniform). You can see were the velcro is on this one. Also I'm playing around with the idea of adding name tapes.

Star Army Utility Uniform Type 37 Class C.png

I don't want to nag, but it wasn't just the cuffs. Rather, the overall cut. The shoulders seem to be rigid like a business suit, and the folded over breast would be something I'd expect to see in some sort of state affair, like a gathering of officers. Wasn't the original idea to go with the Type 31 Working Uniform and alter its colors? Just having the chest portion be a field gray, and the rest of the body in camouflage colors would work I think.

There's also something else to consider too; it also turns out that Special Forces Hate Velcro.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back