• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Uniform Updates for the Star Army of Yamatai

The new uniform concepts look really cool and functional. They're still classy, but seem like they're not going to get caught up and snagged when the space-laser shots start flying. Can't wait for it to be finalized!
In addition to being rarely used in the RP, there's only been 1 artwork with white pants made (and you can't even really tell in it).
There's art of the 3rd Fleet admiral wearing white tights and, much like the Elysian with his pants, you can't really tell unless it's next to art of obviously cadet blue tights 😭

In light of the very disturbing news that essentially all microorganisms in the ocean now contain plastic pollution in their digestive system, I think it's time that the Star Army does a serious look at its use of plastics in clothing, especially for uniforms. I was thinking that for planetary use it might make sense to use cotton and other materials that are eventually biodegradable when it makes sense, and implement some sort of recycling programs for uniforms where possible. Even washing synthetic clothing can get plastic fibers into the drain which will eventually reach the ocean. I guess what I'm saying is that I used to say "synthetic material" without thinking much about it when making Star Army uniforms but I'm certainly thinking about it now. Even though it's just an RP, I like like to add some realistic futurism showing Yamatai is smart enough to try ways to avoid polluting its worlds. I'm also open to your suggestions on it.

ripstop nylon and cotton poplin blend is where its at. You can be just as fire retardant, water resilient, and breath as good as our boys getting uniforms from the lowest bidder.

Doesnt hug or show off curves tho so i already know it would never happen~

I went with poly/wool for the duty uniform because it's basically a nice suit and I was modeling after the US Army service uniforms (I got the fabric info from Marlow-White).

The ripstop poplin would be great for things like the working uniform.

What no auto-dry or auto-clean feature. :)
Im sure there are at least one neko or minkin washing uniforms for every 20 legionnaires. You would put those ten trillion nekos/minkin out of business just to have a uniform that cleans away the most common stains of grease/oil, coffee, and mysterious yet likely resulted from lewding-stains?|

Think of the giant trolls too dumb to do anything more complicated than smashing squids or scrubbing down uniforms, Nash!

With some people adding lab coats into scientist's bios and my own character having artwork in a lab coat, I was hoping to officiate lab coats for scientists.

I just updated the science page and added this:
"Scientists are often seen wearing white lab coats to avoid staining of their duty uniforms or interaction of its components with the sometimes volatile substances of their work."

But would like to make an issued lab coat, like the Type 41 lab coat that is a part of the scientist's uniform (though not mandatory). I was thinking the Hinomaru set would go on the sleeve as normal, but was wondering what people thought would be other good additions to the garment?

Should fleet patch be on the other arm? Should rank be involved on the sleeves? How would the NSP function as easy to grab with this coat on? What do you guys think?

The thing about lab coats is they are cheap and disposable and abundant.

They arent combat issue gear. Arent every-day gear.

You wear them the same way you wear an on the job uniform.

From an art perspective the fleet patch and whatever you add would be neat and in sure the SaoY could afford just about anything. But in an immersion sense they arent something worn while armed or covered in things like patches or emblems or anything because you will throw it out at the end of the day and get a new one.

Plus you dont need an NSP when you are literally strong enough to throw a nearby table like it was made of Styrofoam and can bench press 700 pounds while being a five foot tall teenage looking girl. (Also if its gotten to the point where an enemy has made it to the rear line facilities an NSP isnt going to make any difference.)

Does it really need to have all the extra stuff? I’m assuming my most recent character is at least one of the ones you referenced.

But just going by irl stuff, labcoats are just part of PPE rather than actual uniform for a people who use them. I know yam loves having an article for the air they breath down to every molecule but yeah

Ps, just saw chars post and pretty much just agree with that

I agree with most of the stuff not being needed, I was just throwing stuff on the wall to see what sticks.

But a Hinomaru seems appropriate, no? Even in current technology, printing a Hinomaru on each of these en masse would not be difficult. Making it look nicer and cooler than we can do IRL is the sort of thing I would expect to happen in Yamatai, as well.

Honestly, I don't think an actual patch is a good idea given what I wrote about wanting to minimize interaction between the sciencey things and the coat things.

As far as the NSP doesn't matter argument, there are enemies in the setting that won't be stopped by super strength or table flipping, but NSP fire will give them pause. Also, not every character is a Neko. The thing is, grabbing your pistol from its holster isn't hard when the coat is open, it's when it is closed that it can be difficult, so I wonder if like, magnetic clasps instead of buttons would be best?

Gun holster sure, I could argue tgat you’re more likely to have a leg holster or something on the chest rather than the coat but it cant hurt. As for the mindy logo not being a patch i can agree with that, printed is better

There's been some good points raised here and I was thinking that if the coat is all white, that makes it easy to launder in bulk with bleach, the same way organizations do with hotel pillowcases, nurse aprons, hospital bedsheets, and other items where you expect them to get dirty, bloody, etc. Now, if you put a patch on it and it goes through one of those industrial washers, you might end up with colored sheets or a bleached patch.

We've also got this cool example in art already which kind of sets a precedent for future art (unless we make a new example art to show artists what we want).

On the other hand it might not be a bad idea to make a "sci/medical" variant jacket that's longer, with short sleeves, and big pockets. I saw a fellow uniform designer on Deviantart, Nomnomroko, made this design (the one on the right), which looks close to what I'm talking about:

t_o_t_legacy_extras_by_nomnomroko_d3au6pl-pre.jpg

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/nomnomroko/art/T-O-T-Legacy-extras-199603065

The unit patch may be on a white bleachable version of super-velcro and then placed on manually if someone wants them.

I've got some ideas for your feedback:
  1. Authorize the wearing of decorative flowers in soldiers' hair when wearing the duty uniform (worlds most beautiful fictional military!)
  2. Authorize the replacement of the tights with socks on "Class B" duty uniforms with pleated skirts (regal blue or cadet blue?)
  3. Phase out the Duty Uniform Type 32 - it's not really used much and seems kind of unnecessary now that the field uniform exists
  4. Phase out the Tenure Award - https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=stararmy:awards:tenure
  5. Phase out the Distinguished Career Award - https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=stararmy:awards:distinguished_career
  6. Phase out the Experience Award - https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=stararmy:awards:experience ?
  7. Phase out the War Award in favor of new war-specific service ribbons (Kuvexian War, Second Mishhuvurthyar War, etc.)
  8. Introduce a running skirt for the Type 40 Exercise uniform
  9. Introduce a boonie hat for the Field Uniform
  10. Remove the requirement to constantly wear a pistol with the duty uniform (since almost no artists draw them anyway) - belt still worn
All of the above, if we move forward with them, would start in YE 42.

The whole pistols not being in commissions could be explained away as a regulation when taking "official" photos.

When I was making the war service ribbon, I was thinking about introducing a version of campaign stars. Instead of them being stars, they could be sakura pins that go on top. Since there are no phases in these wars, they could be rewarded for each mission during that war. Or something else similar to what these medals were going for. A "good conduct" medal would be hilarious.

The old medals should still be allowed to be shown with, just not issued anymore.

For the socks with pleated skirt, thigh or knee-high?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back