Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

RP: Space Pirates [Valaad] The Inferno Wind

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Ah, Terry, I wasn't sleeping in, I was 'avin Breakfast," Luicen said while rubbing his belly and offering the spare flagon of beer to Terry while drinking from his own, "I haven't seen Kirio all morning though... he must be sleeping in. I didn't think that Yamataians slept in."

He took a swig from his mug befroe licking his lips and continuing, "Or he must be busy polishing his sword or something like that..."

"If Kirio doesn't show up soon I'm going to dump him out of the airlock as soon as we get back up starward. That or leave him here at the gates of the Fifth Fleet's headquarters."

The finer points in piracy

Randy continued pacing the docks, appearing in deep thought. It made him look like he was pacing to clear his mind, but despite his appearance to be staring at the floor he was really judging the ships. He loved his sunglasses, they made things like this easier all the while hiding his 'special' eyes.

<i>Damn, still nothing really worth the risk. Still though there is that one ship. I wonder how it's rigged.</i>

He left his post and went off to where the dock masters office was. Perhaps he could get some information there.

"Nah, I'd rather just tie him to the front of the ship and use him as a hood ornament then throw him out," Luicen indicated to Terry, "He's got some other uses too, like a pub brawl buddy. Just give the lad time and he'll get his arse moving."

Listening to the winds howling outside (winds which would prevent Randy from wandering around snooping) Terry sighed and looked at Lucien. "He has until two hours after the storm dies out. Which could be awhile, but if he's not arrived by then, we leave him. There's other replacements."

Kirio stepped out of the Osiris with the help of ANUBIS and made his belated way to the aforementioned pub. He hefted his shotgun and sword on his back, just in case. You never did know what was going to happen in places like these. He pushed the doors open to the sight of Terry catching sight of him and storming over. Terry had been surrounded by a dozen or more men and women who potentially could be the crew, although they did seem a little haggard and worn out. His eyes rested not on the approaching Terry, however, instead, they focused on a woman in a flowing dress with an immense rifle slung over her back. She was quite beautiful Kirio realized. Better not have any alcohol today, Kirio, this one is probably dangerous, and you dont want to wake up tomorrow morning with a raging headache and an arm missing.

Now is the wind of your discontent!

"Bah, these infernal winds! When will they let up!"

The storm was really getting under Randy's skin, not only was it annoying but it left him trapped here. He'd of left already if this storm didn't pick up shortly after his arrival.

"Well I better remain in shelter, guess I'll have to do things the old fashioned way."

He pulled out a phone and dialed the number given to him when he landed.

"Hello, this is Johnson. I have a ship docked here and there seems to be a problem. Can I speak with the dock master? Hello? Is anyone recieving this?"

Out of the corner of his eye, Luicen noticed Kirio walk through. He gave Terry a nudge.
"Terry, Our sleepy samurai just walked in," Luicen told him with a rasp of his highlander's accent and pointing to the Yamataian, "And 'es focusing on the lovely lassie in red."

Luicen took a look at the girl in red, but he wasn't too fased about it.
Probably a bounty hunter, like me... Luicen thought to himself as he looked at the curvy lady, That rifle looks pretty fookin' powerful, I wouldn't wannae stare down it.

Emily was not wearing a dress and was definitely not garnished in red--such clothing were ill advised for someone who was both a skilled engineer and staying on a desert world.

"That there is Emily. She handles the engines on the Osiris, so blame her when they blow up." The remark from Terry earned him a playful glare; they both knew that Emily kept the engines in tip-top shape as much as possible.

Meanwhile in the dockmaster's office, a junior operator finally answered the insistent page. "The dockmaster's not in right now, can I help you?"

Collect call from a liar

"Yeah, I'm looking for information regarding one of the ships you have docked here."

A details survey

"Well I don't know what class it is, but it's the only one of its kind you currently have here. It's got 4 wings and seems a bit bulky. It's 3 spaces to the left of my dock."

An annoyed rasp came over the speaker, followed by a spate of keyboard clatter and more annoyed sounds. "It appears that information on that vessel is restricted. There's no way I can work around it."

A plan for a failed plan

"Well can you atleast try to contact the crew? It seems someones been around here trying to get to my ship, and there's markings on their door as well. You might want to send someone down, or have them check up on their ship. Good luck with the storm though."

Somebody laughed on the other side, then the junior technician said, quite plainly, "You are the only person we've noticed snooping around. The ship you're asking about landed less than twenty-four hours ago and in that time nobody has attempted entry into it. Only departures. Now, stay put so dock security can come pick you up."

Plan B works for me

"Well I can't say you've been a big help. Make sure you send someone over quickly, who knows what I might do if left stranded here for too long. An unsupervised person could cause quite the amount of damage."

He didn't hang up just yet, instead he looked around for whatever cameras they had around. He went around and begun disabling the cameras by any means neccesary.

"Bye bye now."

Some of the cameras were too far to reach. Those ones he shot out with his pistol. Randy reloaded his pistol and waited for the security to show up. Boy would they be in for a surprise.

The cameras proved quite resistant to tampering, and merely added to the evidence against Randy for his eventual capture and trial. They also proved resistant to shooting--they were all enclosed in durable casings designed to stave off the attempts of the local environment and predators.

The idea to try and tamper with privately-owned vessels would also turn out to be a bad one; even during a sandstorm many of the ships docked at the spaceport, since they were all independent and not part of any major shipping concerns or military outfit, were quite well defended and it would take more than the efforts of one misguided ruffian to harm them or even gain access to the hangars.

In the meantime Terry was finalizing the introductions, letting Kirio and Lucien get familiar with the crew they'd be serving with and the people they'd be working for; as for Randy security would be on the way to deal with him in short order. Valaad was a civilized world. There would be no shenanigans that went uninvestigated or unpunished.

Resiliant little bastards

"Well okay I guess, you can watch me."

Randy wasn't happy with the cameras still on him as they jepordized his plan. Still he was a pirate and went out of his way to take risks.

"Can't say it's been fun guys."

He waved to the cameras as he opened his hanger before anything like a complete lockdown could be initiated. His love of gambling and risks have put him in one crazy situation.

"I better do this quick before they get smart. It's only a matter of time until they try and stop me."

He put on his spacesuit and prepared to fly off should the need arise. At the first sign of a docking override he'd try to get off this planet despite the storm, come hell or high water.

Hell or high water and potentially fatal damage to his ship--dust storms tended to clog exhaust vents, thruster ports, and gun barrels, not to mention not being able to see an inch past the cockpit window to fly out anyway. The flight restriction meant that until the storm blew over none of the beacons would lead incoming starships to this particular port city, nor would they offer a clear lane out into orbit.

Randy was of course welcome to try; after all it wasn't like there were a line of picket ships to prevent unauthorized approaches or departures, but the dock workers at least in this city did a good job of logging every ship that set down in Gate City and forwarding each day's logs to the nearest military facility.

Besides that, smart pirates set traps in deep space and waited for a catch, not try to break into locked ships on planets with a military presence. All part of Terry's strategy, actually. By maintaining a regular and legitimate appearance right under the army's nose, he could operate without suspicion.

Back at the Inferno, while security teams were arriving to take Randy into custody, Terry himself was finalizing a deal with an army officer who obviously thought better of using official resources to get the job done. The job of smuggling illicit goods onto space stations along with legitimate cargo was something that the Osiris handled, though not often, and never without adequate cause.

Suicidal isn't always a bad thing

Randy's approach may be questionable, but this place was too boring for him and he wasn't a smuggler. He wanted to be back in space now, and wasn't all too worried about the military. As small time as he currently was he hadn't had any encounters yet.

His ship was ready, but he'd only take off if they tried to stop him from doing so. He'd rely on the Ronin's durable reputation for this one if need be, as long as he broke the atmosphere he wouldn't need the engines for much else. His planned target wasn't far off so he could just float there.

Of course he still had his plan. Everything depended on the dock masters actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back