• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Why are people reluctant to switch to a Yamataian body?

Perhaps the best way to solve all these problems is the education of the players and the GMs about what this is all about. One should try their best to know the cultural norms of the species and the nation. And there isn't really enough reminder about what 'normal' is in our setting.

*shrug* Just my thoughts. We need to be told every once in a while, you know?

You realise that odds are that if she dies and has a ST backup, she'll end up respawned as a yamataian? ~_^

Though dying sort of counts as an absolute last resort if you ask me.

Wow. I had no idea that this discussion was even going on.

From an outsider's point of view (namely me at first), the Geshrin are a medium out of all of the main races in this universe. At a brief glance, they are one-up over Neps., with upgrades, extended life, etc. as a basic package, where Neps have to buy that. Yet, at the same time, they appear to be the bottom of the synthetically-created-people ladder. Thus, that's what gives them their appeal to newcomers. I'm actually glad that the Geshrin have been taken out of the creation guide (If, at least, to avoid this confusion. Hell, I even wanted to be one, not knowing what it was.).

And to me, shouldn't Nekos be at the bottom rung of the social ladder? They are tools after all. It's been said time and time again that they are "soldiers" bred for war. They can be mass produced and mass slaughtered and technically speaking, they shouldn't even think twice about it. Aren't they supposed to be conditioned that way from birth? True, they are physically superior to everyone else, but isn't that the same as saying a rocket can do more damage than my fist, so it should be treated better?

As for the body switching...well...leave that to the player, but as long as no new people can become a Geshrin (or an obsolete model of anything else) they too will trickle out of the rp...even if it does take a while.

Welp, those are my thoughts, and I feel better now that they're off my chest.

I'd just like to say that Shaun would not body switch without one hell of a fight. Of course the reasons for him staying a Neph are IC which allows it to actually make sense. :D

But Fred, there are plenty of support roles in the SAoY where not being a Neko is no great handicap, and that, in fact, are better left to people with more life experience: Cook, Medic, Captain, Diplomat, Morale Officer, etc.

Yeah a neko cook? Bleck..... Oh yeah sure they could copy cook books and such but a real cook uses more then ingredients to make great food.

Now on the comment as to people playing the Neko correctly. I have experience roleplaying as a tactical and emotionless killing machine. So I guess I could give pointers for those interested. Though I see a lot of talented people here so I doubt anyone actually requires my assistance.

Yangfan said:
But Fred, there are plenty of support roles in the SAoY where not being a Neko is no great handicap, and that, in fact, are better left to people with more life experience: Cook, Medic, Captain, Diplomat, Morale Officer, etc.

I don't recall disagreeing to that. I've just been saying that having the yamataian body would ensure better operation, from being abe to interface with computer equipment, data management to mobility aboard 0-G sections of a ship.

Nekos are sentient. They start out as machines and improve on that, just as a human baby squeals, whimpers and eventually builds a personallity out from a few base trait from its life experience. The nekos do start out with the advantage of intrinsic skills (inbuilt operational programming) which gives them the knowledge they need to perform their jobs. They can specialize with about the sort of effort in professional studies today to function in one military occupation in around six months to a year.

This was an issue before Fred was here.

It could be because Fred actually brought it up and put some thought into the questions. Especially about the Geshrin.

Well, I peticularly don't like the fact I MUST "update" my character do she can still be a serviceman, in a non-combatr role. Why exactly, are you keeping Nepleslians though? They're even more outdated the Geshrins.

Nepleslians are their own species, but Geshrins are just upgraded versions of them that were superceded with Yamataians.

You do realize that you basically said that Yamatians are Upgraded Nepleslians.

So they even outdated the originals.

They're not being Genocided, they're restricted to NPC and background now. Unlike other outlawed races.

Fenix Harth said:
Do you not see the fact that you are saying that a genocide of the greshins is perfectly fine because they are an inferior race?!
It's not genocide if you don't kill anyone. It's artificial selection.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back