• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Zairyo's Commissions (Original Thread)

Third time's the charm right

Relevant Links:

Star Army Gallery
DeviantArt page

______ ____________________________________________

This is aimed to those of you that don't have a credit card or paypal account (or any way to pay for digital content) but wish they could get a commission from me. As some of you know I have an Xbox 360, which means nothing Microsoft does is ever free, that goes with Xbox Live and Marketplace related content. The Star Army price for commissions remains the same, $15 for the commission and an extra $5 for the card option which brings it to $20. Those $20 can be paid with:

A- 1600 Microsoft Points
B- 3 months of Xbox live Gold subscription

I currently care more about the points than the subscription 'cause I only play online with friends (friends that I communicate with through IM 'cause I can't hear $#!T through the headset so good thing I only like co-op and not multiplayer crap)

There are sites that allow some people (those living in the US, Canada and forgot where else) to do some surveys and what not and get them for free, I really don't care how you get the points, only that they work. Amazon.com also sells them directly, by e-mailing you the code.

"This looks like the X-men" of course : )

Kim: I think the yellow piping might have something to do with it too.

As an artist I know it doesn't feel very good to have someone call your original work unoriginal and as a commissioner I remember it annoyed me when people said the Mindy 1H art looked like Mewtwo or Bubblegum Crisis.

While the UOC uniform has things in common like the leather-type appearance, piping, and dark coloration, they're not THAT similar.

Here's some X-Men movie uniforms for reference.
http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie-galler ... Men3P3.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/253/4548 ... 1176264335
http://usera.imagecave.com/easiway/x-men/xmen3.jpg

The most obvious difference is the X-Men uniform has no tan color like the UOC one.

On a semi-related note, found neat GI JOE movies while searching for X-men pics:
http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/movie-n ... gi-joe.php

How's the skirt now?

I will have to post the base color when I have it (need the approval of the skirt first) to check the hair. Oh and do I need to add the belt?

Aoiko has gray panels right? and Misaki white ones?

Both pics look great!

Yeah, since Misaki is a first officer, white is okay for her. I would prefer the pistol belt added, if you can do it and keep it looking good.

That's funny, Misaki's been wearing white panels the whole time. A regular xo sure, but she's got the Squadron to worry about also.

Anyway, her ears seem pointy suddenly..is that the angle or? Also I can't quite tell about the nose, is it the shading that makes it look a little mn..hard to put my finger on.

I kinda have to agree. Something about Misaki's ears and nose just seems... odd, in comparison to your other works...

I like the nose. I think Zairyo's more recent pics have been less "anime" and more realistic and I love his current style.

Nose = angle, her head is a bit tilted up you should see it better once it's shaded.

Ears = I just draw them in a way that could match the face (pretty much like our ears are) but still keep the cat-like design. If you don't like it (looking odd doesn't tell me if you're OK with it or not) then do tell me to change them before I put color on the image.

EDIT:
One other thing, I try to imagine a scene when I do portraits like these 'cause let's be honest, a character posing is just the most boring thing you can ever see. Take for example Yukari's commission where she's reading a book. It was Doshii's idea but I loved how that one turned out, there's a bit of a story in it if you really look. Same with these two but even more so in Misaki's.

Head tilted up, that alone means something but with the ears like that and the eyes to the side you know she's overhearing something, her left hand on her butt kinda like making sure her skirt is in the right place should give you a clue of what she heard.

Sorry if I sounded snappy but I'm usually snappy when nothing is said during the sketch phase then all of the sudden there are problems.

I personally love the feeling Aoiko has. The conservative dress; the kind of questioning, unsure look she has; how her hand looks ready to grip her pistol (almost looks like she's thinking she's holding one!) β€” it all feels really good, looking at the art. Sweet stuff, Zai-sama.

*Attempts to create something out of the old Masako art*

Original:

Attachments

• Image1.webp
    19.4 KB · Views: 297
  • kurohoshimasakodalt1.webp
    19 KB · Views: 295
Getting skillful in Photoshop huh. Not to burst your bubble but you forgot something. *points to the character's fingers*

It didn't seem snappy, the ears seem more pronounced than they were in the sketch, and the nose was hard to pick as being much different due to angle or anything for me because it was a sketch.

The angle they come up at isn't as I imagined, but since it's in the scene and she's kind of honing on something I totally can see that, I mean our ears aren't completely static anyway right? However, it's nice to look a little different and I like that little story so we might as well see how it turns out?

Wes, I like the subtle bits you put into the Masako mod. Zai-sama, the hair you put on the mod ... I love the wild, kinda unkept look of it. Sexy as sin, man. Just the wildness in general.

Here's a quick mod I did of Sora's art, turning her into a green-haired medic (using the Type 31 Uniform Colors).

Attachments

• medic2_teal.webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 362
After some thought, I've decided to switch from the red cross to the red crystal.

Here's the proposed emblem for Star Army medics:

Attachments

• star_army_medical.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 311
I actually really like that. That's very "medical" looking. And yes, the Crystal is much better than the Cross.

Reactions: Wes
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…