Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Zairyo's Commissions (Original Thread)

Third time's the charm right

Relevant Links:

Star Army Gallery
DeviantArt page

Zairyo said:
Hello everyone, I'm a fan of Sci Fi, video games and all those things we tend to spend way too much time on. My biggest passion however is drawing, so as requested by Wes and by my personal interest I'm here to offer my skills to you guys.

If you want to see more please visit my Deviantart gallery here: http://zairyo.deviantart.com/

If you want to commission me please make sure you are willing to spend at least $15.00 and that you have a Paypal account.
Thanks for your time.

______aimg474.imageshack.us_img474_8144_samspritetestdf7.gif____________________________________________ aimg401.imageshack.us_img401_5431_hanakospritebt3.gif

This is aimed to those of you that don't have a credit card or paypal account (or any way to pay for digital content) but wish they could get a commission from me. As some of you know I have an Xbox 360, which means nothing Microsoft does is ever free, that goes with Xbox Live and Marketplace related content. The Star Army price for commissions remains the same, $15 for the commission and an extra $5 for the card option which brings it to $20. Those $20 can be paid with:

A- 1600 Microsoft Points
B- 3 months of Xbox live Gold subscription

I currently care more about the points than the subscription 'cause I only play online with friends (friends that I communicate with through IM 'cause I can't hear $#!T through the headset so good thing I only like co-op and not multiplayer crap)

There are sites that allow some people (those living in the US, Canada and forgot where else) to do some surveys and what not and get them for free, I really don't care how you get the points, only that they work. Amazon.com also sells them directly, by e-mailing you the code.

Well... you've again impressed us, and made the lady in question very happy with her commissioned artwork. Mission accomplished, Zairyo! ;)

Zairyo said:
Oops lol, I meant can't
You would still have to wait a bit and that's assuming I don't have to waste any more days doing stuff I already did but the incompetence of public employees is amazing, especially in this crummy town. Love my town 'cause nothing really bad happens but people are... well it's like living in the past (kinda like the VCR is a new thing)

Bah. At least you don't live in California, land of many bureaucrats.

I'll whip up some references and what not, then shuttle'em off to ya anyway. Consider it frontloading for later. It'll be two commissions I require.

She's supposed to be a bit pale. (Although now that I look at it, it does make her lips seem a bit dark, doesn't it? Damn difference of LCD monitors..)

Important information for those that are interested in commissioning me:

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=za ... guidelines

That doesn't apply to those of you that pay over the Star Army price ($15) If you pay full price ($20) or more you're entitled to some back and forward during the process.

I had to do that 'cause I don't want to spend hours just trying to get the look that you want. Also if you want a specific goddamn color that's what hex is for. Don't know what the hell I'm talking about? no prob go here: http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html

I'm sorry I have to be a pain in the ass on this but I'm in a serious $ jam and they just decided to increase my student loan payment which I was barely able to make at what it was so I don't have too much time to waste between commissions.

I updated your patch reference section a little.

Do you remember this:

aimg391.imageshack.us_img391_3121_charactercreatorconceptxi7.gif

Well ever since I posted that (and a long time before it) I've been trying to find a way to make a character creator for Star Army that would give new members (old ones too) a chance to have a visual representation of their characters. However they wouldn't be detailed like regular commissions and they would all share the same body type and pose which makes it more of a reference than the actual character. Sadly I have a problem with actually making the thing work. I'm not good at action scripting in Flash (or anything else for that matter) and unless there's a miracle I don't think I can make it in Director like I wanted to.

This is what I have at the moment:

aimg397.imageshack.us_img397_9203_charactercreatorconcepthp2.gif

As you can see the layering is a lot more complex than the original idea. The head alone has five elements

1. Base
2. Eyes (w eyebrows)
3. Nose
4. Mouth
5. Ears

And they all sub divide in sets to make recoloring less of a hassle. It is still a hassle to recolor something which is why I didn't change the skin color and left it Stoya white.

What I propose is this, if you're interested in having your character done in this way which is half the price of the regular Star Army Commission ($7.00 instead of my standard $15) you can PM me about it but I still require references. Some of the uniforms are not illustrated yet but commissions of this kind will make them available sooner. If somewhere down the line I manage to make it into an app that you can run on your machine your commissions would help pay the making of this and you will be credited as such. This won't be limited to Yamatai, but for the time being it will be limited to female characters. Once I have this part of the creator done I can have a better idea of how big the file will be and work from there to make a male character creator.

The full image size is a lot bigger than this and printable and that's what I'll send your way.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

This is exciting!

1. Can we get this on a forum or wiki color background? ( #000020 or #000040 )

2. Which un-illustrated uniforms do you mean?

Wes said:
This is exciting!

1. Can we get this on a forum or wiki color background? ( #000020 or #000040 )

2. Which un-illustrated uniforms do you mean?

1. Yes I just had to throw white in 'cause I left it without a background and pngs tend to make a white ugly halo around the image so instead of working with the original I opened the gif in image ready and plastered a white BG.

2. Pretty much everything but what you see in the gif. None of the Nepleslian or others have been illustrated yet. The front panel for the original jumpsuit (type 20 something) is not done either in case some characters still wear it. I want to finish the Yamatai uniforms then go with the others. But if I get asked to work on a Nepleslian instead then that uniform will be dealt with first. Treated with the same layering it will have the undershirt drawn as well. Don't know about Nepleslian underwear though ^^;

Oh I forgot to mention that there are hairless neko ears too as an option.

It looks like between the two animated pictures you have all the main SAoY female uniforms (Type 30A, Type 30B, Type 30 Jumpsuit, Type 30 Bodysuit, and the two exercise uniforms [normal and bikini]). On the second animation, the color don't look quite right (probably because that extra image was hogging the color palette) and the skin looks too pale (probably because of the dark background).

I was thinking maybe I could just buy these from you as a layered .PSD file and then do micro-commissions for new face and hair types.

We might want to consider doing Nepleslians as a separate set entirely, starting off by making the male one first. Then again, the female UOC uniform would go well on this first "model" body.

Zairyo said:
It is still a hassle to recolor something which is why I didn't change the skin color and left it Stoya white.

That's why the skin is too pale. To be honest I was just going to do one for me since I couldn't find nor make an app for it. So I chose a skin color of a character that I am yet to design and kept it like that for the reason stated above.

The colors didn't change from one animation to the other unless you mean something else. Still it doesn't matter, every color is on a separate locked (they should all be locked) layer so it's easy to change to whatever you want. Another thing is I don't know since when PS started accepting folders within folders so you might want to check that before you get my PSD. It won't work without it.

I also thought it would be best to make them separate (N, Y and the rest) since the files can get pretty big real quick but I would still use the same base so I don't have to redo everything and the same faces and hair stlyes could be applied to all. However I wasn't contemplating drawing any males yet. I was going to do all the female uniforms and then go through the hassle of drawing the male uniforms. (yeah I'm not fond of drawing men at all)

Not an artistic Comment but I’m listening to a Daft Punk album and the changes to the image match up to the music perfectly. So hard to look away….

Ok some news/updates whatever you want to call it.

I got a job, a very irregular job as I sometimes have to work weekends, (like today for example) that makes commission work a little hard but I'm going to keep doing commissions (drawing is what I love to do so...) but there's no telling how long it'll take me to finish a full commission. While I can get back to you rather fast with a sketch, the inking and painting takes time. Also we've been having lots of power outages lately and I haven't worked on any real commission trying to avoid any data corruption like had already happened to me a couple of months ago.

Now for the character creator, I see no interest in it so I'm not going to keep working on updating it. Since that will make me waste time rather than accelerate it and as explained I don't have as much time to work on that kind of thing without payment. If I ever find a way to make it work online I'll continue the work but for now it'll go to a DVD backup and out of my HD.

And last, I leave you with a couple of links for custom trading cards stores. If you were a comic book fan in the 90's you probably have the X-Men trading card set by Jim Lee. Ever since that set came out I've wanted to have my own. I guess that finally I'll get my wish.

http://www.mytradingcards.com/
http://www.siteprint.com/
http://www.custom-tradingcards.com/

P.S. Check out this cool little game http://li-deah.labrute.fr

RPG-D RPGfix
Back