Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

RP: Neshaten [Cercatore Di Stella] Prologue: Answer the Call

Aria

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧
Site Supporter
Medical Bay

"Thank you sir!" Aiu replied to the captain. She wanted to sigh in relief, but more patients kept trickling in. Just as she got the seventh person into a bed and hooked up to a monitoring machine, she heard the violent sputtering of a wet cough across the room. She rushed over to see her first patient, blood seeping out of their mouth. The monitoring machine revealed small objects in their lungs that had grown at an alarming rate.

"Yes, you're bleeding," Aiu admitted a little thoughtlessly, "but I know what the problem is now. I'm going to put you under general anesthesia and fix you up, okay? Please just relax and leave this to me." She wasn't lying when she said she knew what the problem was, but she didn't know what was causing the objects in their lungs. Right now, those objects had to be removed.

Just as she finished hooking up oxygen to the Daur's nose and administering the anesthetic, Ta'Eijino came into the medical bay and ran up to her. "Thank you for coming by," she said with a quick nod and a smile that quickly faded. "Patients are coming in with fevers, coughing fits with blood, stomach issues, and headaches so far. Scans are picking up objects in their lungs that are growing quickly. I'm about to perform a bronchoscopy on this one to try and remove the objects," she said while motioning to a Daur who had quieted down as the anesthesia took effect. "Please put on safety equipment and tend to the basic needs of the others. Pain killers and anti-nausea medications are in the cabinet. Try and piece together what you can about what they were doing and let the bridge know any action they can take. Take note of which patients are coughing up blood; I'll have to operate on them immediately after this one."

With that, she prepped a rigid bronchoscope for the procedure. The object is already 2cm wide, so the flexible bronchoscope won't cut it. If the object was small, she could have kept the patient awake and used the thin, flexible tube. Maybe the others will be more lucky.

"Beginning procedure," she said out loud, mostly to herself to ready herself mentally. She began sliding the scope down the patient's throat while watching the camera as a guide. She reached the lungs and began the process of removing the foreign objects.

IQ

Game Master
After the armoury, came the crew quarters. Containing her briefing package. Rather uneventful as she walked the corridors back to her personal quarters to stash whatever belongings she didn't immediately need before she began exploring the ship. Though as she was about to leave, Talih frowned with the sudden change in temperature. In truth, now it had bothered her enough to actually notice with a slight sheen of sweat forming on her forehead. After a brief examination of the heat controls and a bit of testing, she concluded it was malfunctioning. Then the lights flickered ever so slightly, which caused the Daur's ears to flatten as she peered at the lamp. Before exhaling a soft breath, opening up the door and leaving with the briefing package in tow. Intent on exploring the ship and getting to know her way around. Though firstly she'd move down to engineering. Check if everything was working out. If there were early on-set power fluctuations, it could prove a risk.

And she'd rather be aware if that were the case.

And thus, the new bladeswoman of the ship began to walk her way down to the elevator. Requesting to be brought to engineering with courtesy the so-far dead silent AI would hardly be used. As if it were a sentient being like herself.

RaWolfe

Site Supporter
FM of Neshaten
Game Master
Character Forum Mod
The Engineering > Lower Decks
The Laibe looked at them and shrugs "Good luck out there, take some filters for airbreathing with you just in case" He pointed out as he saw the two walking away as another report came in "Oh for crying out loud... what are you guys trying to do to my ship!" He cursed as he walked towards the console where a few Daur's looked at each other as the power flow was getting bad again.

n route downwards, deeper into the lower decks the lights were flickering more and more. People that were actually on the lower decks were gone or wearing a mask now to keep whatever was effecting them in check The sickbay was a place no one wanted to be at right now. A Daur looked back at the two arriving and checked the big Daur first and blinking but not saying a word about it "I guess you are the backup eh? Well we are trying to get the environmental controls checked up but for some reason its bloody hot down here"

Medical Bay
The operation was difficult, whatever was in the lungs was growing and when a metal object hits it, it gave off a sound. Low of frequency but they would hear it for a brief second. The objects were deep into the tissue of the lungs and getting it out was getting dangerous by the second. Was this patient already a lost cause? Time was working against them that was for certain. One object of the now confirmed five was getting loose and Aiu would see a purple dimmed rock.

Meanwhile, other patients were getting into the room coughing and complaining about fevers. They were scared as one of their mates was into operations and panic rumors started to spread into the medical bay. Something they couldn't use right now. A grand total of eleven people were now in the sickbay, excluding the medical personnel. The coughing of some was getting serious and breathing equipment would be needed soon. Nyo would have his hands full with doing the basics, but he would notice that some of the patients were having different symptoms, the Daur got a fever, headache, coughing as the Laibe would have a headache, coughing, stomach pain, and no fever.

Other locations
While exploring the ship, Talih would notice that people were rushing around to get the ship fixed, tools in their hands and some people were also spreading out air masks by order of their Shipmaster. The lights were flickering here and there, but nothing weird, not the same as what happened in her room at least. But now she can choose, go to a lower deck or move upwards.

Last edited:

club24

Everything Is Magical
FM of Neshaten
Game Master
Micalio nodded and slipped the mask over her face, never could be too careful after all, then she started on her stroll lower into the ship. During their walk she didn't notice anything visually out of order in the ship, nothing seemed to be damaged or broken and yet these problems were persisting, if it wasn't the connections and nothing was damaged then it could be the source. Micalio tried to recall if anyone had mentioned checking the actual crystal within the reactor but couldn't remember anything definite, she'd definitely need to ask someone about it just to check later.

When they arrived Micalio couldn't help but smirk a little under her mask, her stature often caught a few looks from other Daur and Laibe alike, she was quite an anomaly after all. "Yup, we're backup and yeah, it is a bit warm isn't it." The large red haired daur said beginning to roll up her sleeves, she very nearly tore them right off, it would be so much more effective but she could get in trouble for improper uniform. "

Haise nodded to the captain, her stony features combined with icy appearance made for quite the sight as the operator strode through the halls towards the medical bay, this was getting serious, from her training she knew there was risks associated with the processing of Lunebaren crystals as they expelled a gas almost undetectable without equipment, but this seemed so much more serious from everything going on. When she arrived in the med bay Haise grabbed a medical mask immediately and a set of gloves, she had no intention to try playing doctor, she wouldn't know the first thing, but in an environment with sick people personal safety is paramount.

"What have you found so far, any details you have and any theories you have I need to be able to see if anything similar to this has occurred before." The operator barked at Aiu, finding a medical terminal and logging in with her somewhat special priveledges as an intelligence operator and a captain. "Sorry, I don't mean to order you around, but I do need anything you've got."

Aria

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧
Site Supporter
Medical Bay

"Please talk to Ta'Eijino, I'm in the middle of a delicate operation," Aiu responded flatly to Haise's interruption. Things weren't looking good, but it was too soon to give up. Due to the severity of the bleeding, Aiu injected a mixture containing Yuka'shane through the catheter, which would lower the blood pressure of the patient. Before continuing with extraction, she quickly set up a blood bag tube into the patient's arm to make up for some of the lost blood.

"Ta'Eijino, distribute a dosage of Curone to those in intense pain, it'll help them calm down," Aiu shouted as she finished hooking up the blood transfusion. "If anyone else coughs up blood, a dose of Yuka'shane should buy us more time."

Back at her patient, she passed a small vacuum down the bronchoscope to clear the blood out of the lungs, then patched the hole from the first object using an electrocautery probe, which would cauterize the wound and prevent future bleeding. With the first extraction site contained, she attempted to extract the object back through the bronchoscope before proceeding with the next crystal.

Jiori

"Please put on safety equipment and tend to the basic needs of the others. Pain killers and anti-nausea medications are in the cabinet. Try and piece together what you can about what they were doing and let the bridge know any action they can take. Take note of which patients are coughing up blood; I'll have to operate on them immediately after this one."
"Understood, I think this mask will do, for now. I'll see what I can find out from the patients." With their short exchange over, as had always been the case when he'd begin his round as a medical personnel assistant, Nyo began to tense up and feel nervous. This setting was a hotbed for his traumatic memories, many of which came flooding back, as they always did. The vivid gruesome memories of burns, lacerations, and dismemberments make him scowl. His mind was still haunted by the sights, but as an agent, he'd outgrown the intense emotions and naiveties of a greenhorn medical worker long ago. Now, these emotions were always brief and no longer held any grip over him, he had become almost numb to tragedy, which in of itself was a tragedy, or so Nyo thought. This moment of reminiscence was fleeting, lasting only a second from remembrance to him scowling.

After this minute moment, Nyo'ji examined the scene, which was relatively tame compared to other scenarios. He counted eleven patients, Daur and Laibe alike, spread out around the room. He located the medical cabinet and quickly made his way to it. He grabbed a DNI-Medical Injector and an NVSM Medical Kit, both of which he fastened to the vest he had put on. With that done, he rushed to his first patient and began making his rounds, asking for symptoms and treating what he could. Within moments, he got into his familiar grove and performed his duties. The range of symptoms he first encountered was overwhelming as were the number of patients for him to get through, but he kept on, and after accounting for seven of the crew members' symptoms and problems, using the scanner for diagnosis and his datapad as a recorder, he noticed something odd. It seemed that the Daur were only getting either a headache, cough, fever or some combination, while the Laibe were also getting a headache and cough as well as stomach pains, but no fever. Upon finding this correlation, Nyo made notes in his report and continued on. He would have hurriedly shown this to Aiu, but she was in the middle of her procedure, so he saved the information for later. After doing so, he got back to diagnosing the patients. When he finished, he knew who was worse off than others and that the coughing and breathing of the patients was rapidly worsening. Before being able to continue, Haise entered.

"What have you found so far, any details you have and any theories you have I need to be able to see if anything similar to this has occurred before." The operator barked at Aiu, finding a medical terminal and logging in with her somewhat special priveledges as an intelligence operator and a captain. "Sorry, I don't mean to order you around, but I do need anything you've got."
"Please talk to Ta'Eijino, I'm in the middle of a delicate operation," Aiu responded flatly to Haise's interruption. Things weren't looking good, but it was too soon to give up. Due to the severity of the bleeding, Aiu injected a mixture containing Yuka'shane through the catheter, which would lower the blood pressure of the patient. Before continuing with extraction, she quickly set up a blood bag tube into the patient's arm to make up for some of the lost blood.

"Ta'Eijino, distribute a dosage of Curone to those in intense pain, it'll help them calm down," Aiu shouted as she finished hooking up the blood transfusion. "If anyone else coughs up blood, a dose of Yuka'shane should buy us more time."
Responding to Aiu, Nyo said, "On it." and then made his way to the cabinet again, but this time to retrieve the Curone. While doing so he spoke to Haise loud enough so that they could hear him as he worked, "Sir, we have eleven patients at the moment and--" he briefly stopped to apply the Curone to a patient who was groaning the loudest, "-- I've noticed something odd, use the computer to look at the data from my datapad. It should show my diagnostic report; it includes each of the patients' symptoms and information, as well as my findings. I haven't had time to think up any theories, so that's all I've gotten so far. If you need anything else I'll be updating it as I go." Nyo said the last bit in a hasty tone as the patients' conditions were getting worse and they needed his full attention. He finished applying Curone where he could, then he checked to see if anyone was coughing blood, only one person was. He gave them a dose of Yuka'shane as instructed, and then began the process of hooking the patients up to breathing equipment.

IQ

Game Master
A soft frown came from Talih as she saw a lot of people in almost panicked bustle. Hurrying to fix whatever was ailing the ship, no doubt what caused the sudden increase in temperature. One Daur that was handing out masks passed her and almost shoved it into her hands before hurrying to continue distributing it to others. "Thanks-..." She tried to retort, but it was already far too late. The Daur had already moved on towards others. A soft frown on her face as she pulled the mask on and exhaled a soft breath. Why were they handed out, though? Was there something wrong with the ventilation? Mayhaps a bacterial strain that had been discovered? With a soft frown, she flagged down another Daur that was rushing down the halls with a; "Hey!" Before breaking in a jog to move over. "What's going on?" She asked, ears lowered ever so slightly as she did so. Though an almost retching-like coughing pulled her attention.

There was blood, the smallest droplets of blood that came from said coughs, before the male Daur crumpled together and dropped to the floor. "Shit," was what Talih muttered under her breath as she rushed over. The masks made sense now, whatever it was, it spread fast. But this man needed help, abandoning her sense of self, she picked him up over her shoulder and rushed to the medbay. Dropping the patient off and asking whether they needed any assistance, despite being in the midst of a surgery. The Daur didn't seem too particularily disturbed.

Kylindra

Kishi'ko nodded at the other Daur as she had made sure her mask was on before going to the lower decks, and on reaching the heat, she did likewise with her sleeves. The system diagnoses showed green, but it was worth rechecking. She eyeballed the systems. The other engineers presumably had been checking that. So, think outside the box. What could be going on?

She frowned, brushing some hair out of her face, and spoke up. "Have we tried venting the heat to space? Just ripping out the components wholesale? Do we know what the Daurs reporting to sickbay are sick with? It might give us a hint of what's really going on." She eyed the systems before deciding that if we are workign with deeply malfunctioning systems, the reporters are probably affected. "Is there any standalone analyzers we can pull out in stock?"

RaWolfe

Site Supporter
FM of Neshaten
Game Master
Character Forum Mod
Medical

The operation on the patient was getting more stable as the rocks were on the table. Aiu had saved one patient, but she would quickly notice that the people on the beds were also coughing and that would face a facilitating problem. She would not have enough skilled or experienced people to do these operations. The database, however, would conclude a top-secret hit on a medical file that was classified. However, due to the nature of Stella, she had access to it. The rocks were indeed related to crystal disease that had impacted the mining operations significantly. The solution that the doctors commented on was...get it out, or put the patient out of the pain. This wouldn't be the best solution for Stella.

Nyo was spot on with his theories thus far, however the situation seemed to escalate as one patient manage to see the rocks that Aiu was pulling out and panicked, he jumped off the bed and rushed to Nyo grabbing him....fur as he was coughing "Please...Please I don't want to die!" The man kept coughing and some blood would now get onto Nyo face as the man dropped back to the ground. Without realizing it....Nyo was now also infected with the odd disease.

Lower Decks

Even Kishi'ko was spot on, the information that she received now was not there a second ago. The crystals are infecting the environment systems and it was difficult to locate where the problem was. The main crystal that provided the power checked alright, right? The systems throughout the ship were going green lights, but suddenly they changed to orange which indicates an error in diagnostics. The Daur shrugs and looked at the others "We got systems across the board stating errors in diagnostics reports....the heat is going up and I am unable to shut her down from here" The systems were going nuts as it was unable to respond to any direct commands.