• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Mikomi [Completed] Mission 3: Patrolling The Southern Border

Status
Not open for further replies.
"That doesn't sound like a nap," Rufus noted. "Make some snoring noises. And you," he said to Kayto, "Be quiet, dammit." He paced back and forth for a bit, then removed and folded his jacket, got down nearby to do push-ups with the rest of the crew.

Eve realized how pushups might have meant nothing to the NH-17's around, leaving their features that could help them cheat. It was hardly on her mind in the next moment. At least he'd moved on quickly after she spat out the dictionary knowledge of the Kylie and Mikomi when asked. Quite an attitude..but if someone was drinking on shift? she suddenly wondered if she wanted to meet people who were just as likely to mock her for her abnormalities. Let alone how she was managing the pushups. She ran through some tactical cases through her mind absently waiting for another command. She was suddenly feeling nostalgic, and the background of the others faded as she concentrated on the coarse man's voice.

After a good five minutes or so of various strenuous exercises, Rufus had everyone get back up and had Roken fall back into line after reminding the rest of the crew, "how important timeliness can be in battle," and not to "let your crewmates down."

He told the soldiers standing before him, "Alright, you guys are the lucky ones. The guys just slept through this assembly are going to have it much worse, so don't worry. Go grab some of that quality grub our soldier-first-class cook's been working on," he grinned, back to his usual amicable self again. "I'll be along in a minute."

Nick inhaled more heavily with each passing revolution; he really wasn't the most physically capable Geshrin in the Star Army. He did the pushups more slowly than would be expected, but he continued to do them despite the fact that they got just that much harder for him every time he raised himself higher from the ground.

"Damn,â€

Saeki had gotten down and done the push-ups without too much effort, pumping up and down like the rest of them but remaining silent. She didn't really hold anything against Roken, as she wasn't that type. So they had to do push-ups? Oh well, no harm done. It made them stronger.

Saeki was at the end of the line heading for the mess-hall, skipping along in her dress uniform, that gun swishing back and forth on her hip.

Carlos, on the other hand, arrived late. At the point where they were all filing out towards the mess hall, Carlos ran into the back of the line, nearly colliding with Saeki. He manuvered his way around and came to Taisa Sydney, saluting smartly and barking with his Mexican accent
"Nito Heisho Carlos Luera De La Vega reporting late, sir!"

"What the hell?" Rufus' nose wrinkled. "You smell like a damned ashtray. This is a starship, not some back alley on Nepleslia. Too busy having a drag on burning wad of leaf and tar to come to the assembly, eh? Don't worry buddy, I'll make sure you get plenty of ashes in your system during this next mission. You'll be on point. And...you see that female soldier over there? That's Natalie. Now go over there and switch rank pins with her, since she deserves this one more than you do. Dismissed!"

"Yessir." Carlos gave a smile and saluted, turning and walking casually over to Natalie. Part of him was disappointed and frustrated at his demotion...the other part didn't so much care. It beat the hell out of slumming around Nepleslia his entire life.

Carlos gave Natalie a little salute and removed his rank pin, holding it out to her in his open hand with a smile. "Congratulations, Nito Heisho."

Kotori had lagged behind a bit when she had seen Carlos make his run to the Taisa and was privy to the exchange between the two. She felt an inner tinge of satisfaction at seeing him pay for stinking up the bunk room... but she felt a bit sorry it had cost him a demotion.

She walked over to Sydney when Carlos left and asked : "If an inspection failed to draw attendance, do you believe that perhaps the promise of food should draw more crewmembers?" she said lightly, stopping by his side.

This guy was rough, roken was a little relived that the person runing this takes his job seriously, roken was the last to step out the and was glad to be getting something to eat. He noticed a lot of the crew members didnt give him any mad looks roken sighed and continued to head for the mess hall he did notice.....Carlos walking in even later and getting demoted, he walked alone for the rest of the trek to the mess hall.

"In theory," Rufus said wryly, "They're supposed to show up when ordered to." He gave her a quick affectionate squeeze around the waist. "Shall we dine?" he grinned, leading her toward the galley with one hand on her back. "Hey Freeman!" he shouted back into the kitchen, "I hope this food's really great," he chuckled, "If it is, I'm going to give you your rank back!" Turning back to Kotori, he explained, "Hey, we all need to eat, and a happy cook's a better mealmaker."

"Hey, I can cook too." Kotori winked and then glanced around at the feast Tom had whipped up under two hours.

She blinked incredulously as people seemed to be settling around for the meal. The food on display was unlike anything she had seen in all her 19 months. It looked coarse, greasy and fairly glistened with butter.

Don't tell me that's what they eat on Neplesia. She made a little plaintive sigh. No fish, no riceballs... no rice at all.

Tom was looking over the tables, making sure everything was absolutely perfect. He did all the little things that often go overlooked: folding the napkins at perfect angles, making sure each person had the proper utensils for each part of the meal, making sure that there was a tablecloth on the tables, etc.

Instead of a normal mess-hall design, where the cook slopped food onto a tray, the Geshrin designed this meal to be an intimate experience meant to promote interaction. Each person had a plate, a soup boul and a salad bowl. The food was segmented across the tables so it wouldn't require too much passing around. Even the lights were dimmed a bit so that the light faded as it went to the wall.

It was a little more formal than the standard Raltean meal, which involved everyone taking shots of liquor after each course and, obviously, getting plastered halfway through the meal. The alcohol was an option, however, and it was off to a table in the corner, complete with shotglasses. Tom was using his own personal supply for this party, but he figured this was the best possible way of using it.

As Tom grinned through a flour-smeared face, he counted all the food on the table:

--Thin potato pancakes about the thickness of a playing card each, used with various dips and creams.

--A basic vegetable salad

--A hefty potato salad.

--Vegetable soup with a beef stock

--Kotlety, the main course, ground chicken patties cooked with a fabulous butter sauce. That made his mouth water.

--Finally, a chocolate vodka cake with a bit of a kick in the icing. Nothing too bad, as the alcohol in the cake burned off long ago.

He could only hope that he made enough food. It was better to make more than less, of course, and any eftovers would hold well over the next couple of days.
"Hey Freeman!" he shouted back into the kitchen, "I hope this food's really great," he chuckled, "If it is, I'm going to give you your rank back!"

Tom walked to the head of the table and pulled the seat out for the Taisa.

"I figured I'd need to make up for my outburst, sir. Do you know how many are joining you?"

He waved as the rest of the people entered.

Necessity jolted Kotori into action. This was no laughing matter after all! The survival of all neko on board now seemed to now depend on her!

She walked long strides and caught Tom by the arm, intent on dragging him back into the kitchen. Normally, having a cute dark-haired, golden-eyed nekovalkyrja press up to you was indicative of perhaps having eaten a fortune cookie with the message "You might hook up with the girl of your dreams today"... but in this case, it was just a frantic neko really intent on making sure there was rice on the ship.

"You're the cook, right?" she said, her voice tense and carrying the undertones of urgency. "Please come with me."

"Wahhhh!" Tom cried out as he was dragged into the kitchen. "Yes? What do you need, ma'am?"

Tom quickly washed his face off so that he didn't look like a mess.

"The meal," she pointed back, the very soul of distress. "All that butter and meat..." she shook her head. "There's not a grain of rice in sight! And what about fish? Salmon?"

She was almost hopping in worry. "Tell me, isn't there anything we could make ricecakes with here? You're going to kill all the nekovalkyrjas on board by inviting them on a table like that!"

She was perhaps exagerating... but the thought never had crossed her mind that they would have eaten something not based on japanese cuisine. This was a dire threat, potentially outweighting even the vile menace of the SMX!

"Oh, I'm sorry ma'am. I wanted to make a traditional Raltean meal for this special occassion."

Tom tapped the toe of his shoe against the ground, placing his arms against his hips.

"I'm not too, proficient with rice as, well, it's impossible to grow rice in the snow. Fish, however, I can manage. I wanted to use some salted herring, but we were fresh out of it. I can easily whip up some sort of baked or grilled fish to your liking though. If you want it now, I can have the Mikomi make it."

Roken found himself and open seat; the place looked niced looks like someone's been busy. Roken thought. He looked around seeing crewmen of all ranks sitting together, talking. Some seemed to look worried about the food, but the food looked fine by to to him. Everyone seemed in good spirits, especially the CO from the inspection. Roken remained silent for the rest of the meal.

( OOC: Edited for major grammar issues by Wes--put some effort into your RP posts, man. That crap was seriously difficult to read! )

Kotori's relief was palpable. Peace in the universe was restored. She made a big sigh, tension leaving her.

"It's alright." she said, sounding a little more coherent. "I'm handy around kitchens. Just point me to your supplies and I'll start doing some riceballs with whatever fish you have handy!"

"Well, as long as you do not spoil your appetite without trying some of our cuisine. We take pride in our hospitality, and I wish for you to enjoy this dinner."

Tom pointed to the freezer.

"The fish should be in there, and the rice should be in an overhead compartment above the stove. It's somewhat odd, though. This is the first meal that's been prepared on this ship since we set off! We have no cook!"

The Geshrin let out a hearty laugh.

"We have become too technology dependent!"

"Oh?" she headed off to grab the items she required. "But I thought the HSCS only provided with lumps of nutrient-rich flesh. Scary."

With the items she needed, she cleared some space and began her preparations. Her hands where practically flying around the counter - Tom could see her earlier statement was no idle boast.

She looked over her shoulder at one point and said : "Would you quit looking at my mesmerizing behind and go eat already? You're going to eat cold."

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back