• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP [Day 3] One Piece at a Time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Your planned jurisdiction is just that; a plan. The Azoreans are not currently in and will never be in Nepleslian territory because you cannot claim their space and therefore your arguments are nothing but selfish, invalid attempts to disrupt our new friendship," Hanako told Davis. "Every new race, especially low-tech ones, deserve our respect, and they certainly have the right to choose whose empire they align with."

"Denying them that because it interferes with your personal or national plans to spread is ridiculous. Putting your wants above the rights of others is the same thinking that causes nearly every injustice from theft to rape to murder. Any nation that denies these rights listed in the document is nothing more than a petty warlord. Yamatai has already taken the noble action of approving the document with both the senate and the Empress. Will Nepleslia raise itself to our civilized level? Or will it continue to disrespect any nation it can overpower?"

Tio remained quiet as Davis and Hanako gave their opening arguments, it was all he could do to listen to the lunacy. Had the galaxy lost it's mind?

Tio rose slowly from his seat, "I find it incredibly awkward that we are arguing over someone else's civilization. The Azoreans should have the right to decide on their own." PANTHEON also translating his words so that the Azorean ambassador could hear them. "If I was the Azoreans I would not choose to align with either Empire but choose to retain independance, neutrality and open trade with both our nations."

He said in finality, "This mindset that it is one way or another is what put us all here to begin with." He bowed slightly towards the Azorean ambassador. "It is my wishes, that you consider what I have had to say; I am sorry my associates and the Nepleslians have such low respect for your nation that they have selected to play tug-of-war." He sat down, "Please accept my apologies for their behavior."

"Ketsurui, as I believe some of Nepleslia's younger folks enjoy saying over the InterNep, 'El Oh El Lor El Oh El'." Calero stepped into the room, a cocky smile on his face and a can of tea in his hand. He looked a little worse off than he had before, seeing as he had come down with a bad case of the flu.

"Your little escapades involving the Lorath don't seem to be fitting with that document you're presenting. But at the moment, that's not here nor there. While I, and I'm sure my fellow representatives of the Democratic Imperium of Nepleslia are quite thankful for the chance to meet a new race, that is not the point of this conference, nor is that document."

Calero walked to the table and took a seat next to Davis. "I believe that the Prince over there had some other ideas for what was to happen today, and judging by his tone, he's not too happy that you hijacked it, Hanako. So how about we let the poor new guys get situated a bit before we tear their throats out trying to get them to ally with us, and focus on making sure we don't turn each other to slag?"

The Senator gave a glance to the newly arrived Kohanians, a slight frown on his face. Calero wasn't too comfortable with two people walking in and shitting on things with statements like that. He was getting a little annoyed with the military leaders of the factions showing up, and was rather glad Flint had left. This, after all, was supposed to be a peace conference, not a war council, like it seemed the Ketsurui, Elysians, Kohanians, and even his own government believed it to be.

Edward huffed an aggravated growl, throwing his hands up and rolling his eyes in disgust.

It was Day One all over again.

"Senator Calero, if the business with Lor was "not here nor there", then why even bring it up?" Edward mumbled to his peer before turning to the rest of the congregation.

"Former Ketsurui Princess, Prince Tio, Senator Davis did not suggest Azorea become a part of Nepleslia.," The ID-SOL senator stated flatly, letting the communicator translate for the Azoreans present. "The Former Princess makes assumptions on things Senator Davis never suggested. We are not arguing their freedoms. If anything, Azorea should hear the stance of Nepleslia, and come to realize the balance their system upholds. As such, I myself am in agreeance with the Crowned Prince...Azorea should consider a path of neutrality."

Edward stood up and cleared his throat. "It is my belief that both of our nation's military should stay away from Azorea. From what I have initially seen of the planet from intelligence reports, it is a very peaceful, serene landscape that does not need to be marred by military ships, infantry or space stations, be they Nepleslian or Yamataian. We may trade with them, if they so wish...but our weapons and warships have no place nor purpose there."

"You must forgive me if I sound as if I do not trust Yamatai to leave their military within their own borders, but in recent events as of late...I find myself wary of many things Yamatai does. My concerns are for Nepleslia, senators. If Azorea does indeed become a Yamataian colony, with which Yamatai can extend military power, it will compromise the security of our nation. We do not ask these things out of greed; the systems in Nepleslia's pre-determined expansion to the galactic north are many, much more than we can even begin to prepare upon. Azorea can rest assured Nepleslia has no intention of compromising their freedoms, but everyone here today must understand that we are here to make sure our own freedoms are not taken from us."

Sky Marshall Davis nodded towards Eddy after shooting a cold stare at Hanako in reaction to her blatant insult of him, his nation and his culture.

"Mr. Vanderhuge explains my stance very well, although I apologize for not being clear enough for those present in this room. Thank you Mr. Vanderhuge."

He then looked to Tio. The Prince was a man of power, indeed, and was to be respected. Still, Davis had just been rebuked for taking a solely defensive stance on the issue... and the former Princess had just displayed the tact of a brick. Was that to go unnoticed? And who was she, this former princess and mere ship captain to make such sweeping racist generalizations, as well as determine which direction this summit would head?

It did not sit well with the Sky Marshall, but it was something that had to be swallowed.

"Your intentions to keep order in this meeting are appreciated. Nepleslia wishes to show great care for this new culture by pursuing an avenue that makes it so we do NOT treat this nation like some sort of chess piece on a galactic board.

On that matter, I heartily agree with the desires of the Prince. Let the Azoreans live in peaceful coexistence with the rest of the universe, under their own rule."

He turned his attention to the Azorean section of the conference.

"I also apologize profusely for the recent turn in discussions. Please understand that we mean you no harm. We are simply, as Mr. Vanderhuge and myself stated, watching for our own security."

He sat down and looked at Calero.

"Mr. Calero," he said very quietly, "We must be very tactful today. Please work with Mr. Vanderhuge and myself to the best of your ability."

Yamatai's senator simply watched. Hanako had again opened her mouth, had again spouted righteous bullshit, had again caused minor pandemonium. She was almost glad the Ketsurui were going to go live in their own little place far away from the rest of them.

"I would like to remind Taisa Ketsurui that the armistice agreement that we signed yesterday is to prevent us from interfering in each other's business and to maintain peace.

The first contact treaty comes a little too late for other nations but I agree with the point that the Sky Marshall was trying to make:

Sky Marshall Davis said:
"We would gladly consider signing this as soon as a proper provision for this issue is inserted, as well as a special document stating that, should serious relations be started, that no foreign military vessels of any kind be permitted in the territory."

I don't think it is unreasonable to keep any one's military out of the territory of a new nation's. The amount of harm that could be done to a growing race just by our mere presence cannot be ignored. We should always keep in mind that our level of technology could harm a new nation just entering space by harming their own government.

The last thing we would want is to cause unrest and spark a civil war," Ayana said very calmly. She hoped that stressing the point the Premier had made would allow for some of the more stubborn to listen.

"But we all seem to be agreement- Azorea has the right to chose but it would be for the best if it remained neutral in their alliances so that they may develop their nation and rule themselves without interference from any of us or our technologies."

Tio sat back down in his seat, taking a non-aggressive stance, his eyes looked towards Hanako. He whispered into her mind, "Hanako, you know I have the utmost respect for your mother, and your families contributions to the Empire." He paused, "But... I am going to have to ask you to leave the conference room and watch from another location. As long as you are here, right or wrong, aggressive or not, they will not proceed past their emotional response to you." He shook his head briefly, You have a ship to run, lets keep you out of their hair and them out of yours.

Tio said:
If I was the Azoreans I would not choose to align with either Empire but choose to retain independence, neutrality and open trade with both our nations."
"It would benefit them and us much more if they joined Yamatai. For example, they would have access to Albini for colonization."

Calero said:
Your little escapades involving the Lorath don't seem to be fitting with that document you're presenting.
"Why don't you learn what you are talking about before you start talking? Not does the Lorath situation prove the need for nations to agree to the first contact rules, but you are implying I annexed the Lorath when it was Taisa Sydney that did. My involvement with the Lorath was saving their planet from destruction by the Mishhuvurhtyar."

So how about we let the poor new guys get situated a bit before we tear their throats out trying to get them to ally with us, and focus on making sure we don't turn each other to slag?"
"Yamatai has agreed to give the Azoreans a choice. Nepleslia has thus far refused to acknowledge that right of the Azoreans. Get with the program."

Vanderhuge said:
We are not arguing their freedoms.
"If you do not sign the first contact treaty, you are not only arguing against Azorea's freedoms, but against the freedoms of all nations you encounter."

Ayana said:
I don't think it is unreasonable to keep any one's military out of the territory of a new nation's.
"It is unreasonable, considering the military is the instrument of exploration and first contact."

But we all seem to be agreement- Azorea has the right to chose
"If the Nepleslians supported the right for Azorea to choose, they would sign the First Contact treaty. Instead, they offer good-sounding words while already they have made the choice FOR Azorea that Azorea will remain neutral."

"At the same time, you, Tio, seem to have made the choice for Azorea, too. I'm disappointed in you."

"Once again, Yamatai has already taken the noble action of approving the document with both the senate and the Empress, ensuring something like Lor's annexation will never happen again. Yamatai is continually improving...is Nepleslia? SO I ASK YOU, will Nepleslia raise itself to our civilized level? These rights of first contact deserve your consideration and approval, regardless of any personal bias."

Hanako set the proposed rights of first contact in front of Davis to sign. He was a man with principles...surely he would have the moral fortitude to give Azoreans and future races these sensible rights...wouldn't he?

Tio's eyes widened, his hands clenched the arms of his chair as he felt as if he could tear it from the deck plate and throw it at the Taisa's head; at least he had addressed her in private, now she insulted him publicly.

He said, surprisingly calmly, "I merely suggested that it was not appropriate to play tug of war with a nation that is not our own, and that to maintain the peace between all nations it might be wise for us all to be on good terms, rather than fighting over planets. I suggested neutrality as an option, I did no such thing as to decide for them."

He was fuming, he could not believe what it was he was witnessing, she defied him directly, she had been asked to leave. He had done so to try and save her from the full onslaught of these people in the room that disliked her.

Hanako... he said, pleading her to stop trying to force the treaty down the Nepleslian's throat.

"I think it is time for a recess. We cannot make any progress when people feel the need to insult one another to force legislation," Ayana stated rather annoyed. "We are here to stop war not create new ones."

"Perfectably agreeable," Calero stood, straightening his suit. He turned and left the room. He also sent the audio tape he had recorded to his personal InterNEP database, fully intending to spread the horrible comments Hanako had made throughout the Nepleslian media at a later time.

"Miss Hanako, I must admit I fail to see exactly how refusing to sign this agreement impedes the Azoreans right to decide their own fate. Nepleslia has repeatedly stated that we have no intent of bringing harm to the Azoreans. You are also very quick to state your noble intentions, as well as assume Nepleslia stands at the exact opposite of them, a very polarizing effort in this conference's efforts to otherwise promote peace.

You speak much about Nepleslia, which I will, kindly, after hearing your generous words moments ago, choose to take with a grain of salt."

He smiled politely, although his eyes burned with a cold intensity.

"How many times, my dear, must I repeat to you that I have not forced any issue upon the Azoreans? In fact, I may counter that you're forcing the issue by bringing these people to this forum, these people who were, otherwise blissfully unaware of the conflict of this forum.

You see, a good diplomat would possess a strong awareness of the international political climate. Did you not look at the document of armistence before or during your trip to the galactic north? How could you, a member of the senate, ignore such an important piece of documentation?"

He crossed his arms.

"Miss Hanako, you speak with such kind regard about this document of first contact, but can you seriously disregard the tactical implications as well as political consequences of a Yamataian nation in the galactic north? I agree that the Azoreans have a right to choose, as I have already stated several times, but I have the interests of my nation to attend to as well.

If you would just listen to my proposal and agree to eliminate all military presence from Azorean space while you establish trade relations, it would appease everyone. You would have your glorious, honorable relations with this fledgling nation, and we would have no threats to our national security.

I suppose the time of this recess will decide whether you stand for peace or not. I am willing to compromise here. Are you willing to throw that all away in the name of a petty squabble over a little flag on the galactic map? "

With that, he stood and silently walked out of the room.

"Sky Marshall....wait a moment." Tio said looking towards the deligation from Yamatai. "I would like to request that following the recess, that we are the only ones to return to this table. I came here to represent Yamatai and achieve a peaceful state between our nations." He picked up the treaty that Hanako had put down in front of the Sky Marshall. "I will discuss this with him during that time..." He ordered, giving a direct and unquestionable order to his side of the table. "You are dismissed, you can watch from an observation room, my datapad will be open for your input as always."

"Very well. Yamatai has already done its duty. I hope that the Nepleslians will do the same," Hanako said, before leaving the conference room and immediately retrieving her pistol.

Hanako quickly returned to her ship.

The Sky Marshall stood outside of the conference room, near the entrance, looking out of a window, gazing at the stars.

Tio rejoined Davis at the window, the place where they had stood before. He said lowly, "I hate it when our worst fears become or reality. Once the room is clear, will you rejoin me as I requested?"

"Of course," Davis said sadly. "...but you know how this was going to happen. I will need my senate to be listening in on the proceedings of course, so that they can cast their votes on whatever we decide to propose. Prince, I sincerely hope the Taisa learns the finer points of diplomacy before she is ever allowed to set foot in a conference like this again. I... I can't remember the last time I was that angry at a person."

Aqueniss nodded with approval at Roxanne’s request. “I’d be happy to show you around, of course.” After a short while, her water arrived, and the ambassador gratefully accepted it. She listened to the opening conversations… at least, the bits that PANTHEON was translating for her… as she let the cool liquid pour down her parched throat. She had already read the document that was being discussed since Hanako had given her a translated copy to read en route to the conference. She was still unsure if it was a wise decision or not.

Aqueniss nodded to both Tio and Davis in acknowledgement of their apologies. She decided to wait for her turn to speak rather then add to the voices already in existence. This conference actually reminded her of the Parliament. The yelling and anger running around had derailed her from becoming a Judge in the past. The Azorean played it cool, not letting off much emotion other then her normal innocent aura.

When the recess was called, the Azorean ambassador let out an almost inaudible sigh. Her thoughts dwelled mostly on wondering what exactly the Nepleslian representatives found wrong with the first contact document. True, it was made by a member of their rivals’ species, but if they claimed to not want to harm Azorea, then why fight against signing it? It gave her a slight headache just thinking about it. Aqueniss stood up again and followed Tio, whom she suspected to be the ‘viceroy’ of this conference, out and asked, “Excuse my intrusion, but would it be alright if Azorea speaks for Azorea? I am grateful that many people are trying to ‘protect’ my people, but I would like to address the representatives myself. I will inform them of Azorea’s stance and intent so far. Is that acceptable?” She paused, waiting for the Crowned Prince’s response.

-----

Retyur nodded with a mild look of surprise on his face. He decided to only sample the seafood, since the other types of food might be just too alien for his stomach. “What does your homeworld look like? Does it have oceans like Sudran, my home?” The Azorean was a little inquisitive about other worlds out there.

"I will be happy to ensure your Senate has a place to listen. My own senate will do so as well. Perhaps, through voting and only a voice each for both of our nations, representing the many voices behind us we can come to a better level of communication." He smiled, pushing his way back into the conference room.

He smiled, greeting Aqueniss; "Then please come join the Sky Marshall and I."

Arrangements were made for both the Yamatai and Nepeleslian Senators to listen in adjoining, but separate rooms; where they could vote and send messages to Tio and Davis as they proceeded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back