• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Defense of Personal Freedoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one issue I could see with this is the clause about registering to a home faction and being forced to follow their laws no matter where you are in the universe.

For instance, Havok has a facility both on Yamatai and 188604. Smoking is illegal in Yamatai, but not 188604. If Jax were on 188604, the law makes it seem like he'd never be able to smoke unless he was outside the facility. It sounds like no matter where your character is, they'd be under the grip of the home faction's laws.

So apparently this is more about controlling people's characters. I was debating calling this idea slavery. Opinions?

This is something being put in place by the site admin, so it's kind of confusing why people are discussing how to fight it rather than how to work with it.

I also don't approve of the word "slavery" being used for anything besides actual slavery. It's not appropriate to the situation.

What questions about it do you have? Like Blizz's question is one that can be answered by the treaty's creator. Try to ask questions that have answers.

Okay. I have a question. Why are you being a jerk to indie players, @Wes? It's about the most uncool thing I've ever seen you do so I'm sure the reason is outstanding.

I've skimmed this thread. And I do not wish to derail, I have barely a clue as to what is discussed, so I'm not going to form a poorly informed opinion, but like.

Did this thread change name or did I finally lose my marbles?

Reactions: raz
No further questions. I am at peace. Thank you and my apologies for the semi de-rail.

I don't think is trying to be a jerk to indie players. Ive seen this topic mentioned before and that wes had, In the future. Wanted corporations to have a home faction they register or belong to.

also why is yamatai anti-chewing gum?!

What about the larger cotporations like Origin that have a major presence in both Yamatai and Nepleslia, as well as some of the minor factions? A lot of the work Origin does or did was BECAUSE they weren't tied to a single nation, however Origin always follows local laws and authorities of where they operate. By making Origin solely Yamataian or solely Nepleslian, it would make it difficult for them to operate as smoothly as they currently do, and could even destroy business relationships they worked for over a decade building.

In real life, people are generally considered citizens of the nation they're born. In SARP it mostly works the same way. Characters born in lawless areas like deep space would have to apply to get citizenship if they wanted/needed it. For example Sienna Shelton got Yamataian citizenship by applying for political asylum after the Eucharis found her. I don't see any changes to how characters would work if the factions reign in the rogue corporations.

Also you keep addressing this like it's some issue that affects a lot of people but there's a noticable lack of mentions in this thread about the Frontier Service Corporation, Rizzo, which is the perfect example of the corporation type that Yamatai is trying to curtail - a nationless rogue corp that is actively building military forces answerable to no one.

Origin could be Yamataian-flagged and also get a Nepleslian business license (this would make the most sense to me canonically), or vice versa (maybe Nepleslia has better taxes or something?), or it could even have two sister corporations like Origin Yamatai and Origin Nepleslia for each side of the border. None of the proposed changes restricts businesses to working with a single faction, it just says they should pick one to be the one they and their starships fly the flag of.

I for one welcome all you corporate guys who want to incorporate in the nation with the best business laws.

Also you keep addressing this like it's some issue that affects a lot of people but there's a noticable lack of mentions in this thread about the Frontier Service Corporation, Rizzo, which is the perfect example of the corporation type that Yamatai is trying to curtail - a nationless rogue corp that is actively building military forces answerable to no one.
Don't get me wrong, I'd agree with you if you were right. FSC is owned by a SAINT operative and just rushed to the defense of Yamatai when it was attacked. Nationless? Rogue? I don't think so, that looks like some allegiance to me.
Military forces are a very necessary thing to have when there's a hoard of Mishu that the SAoY doesn't have to deal with trying to murder people lacking defenses. Even then, I haven't increased the size of the Navy for over a year. Even the drones got forgotten, and they we're going to be spent on a plot.

Here's a thought, how did the SAoY get detailed schematics of the Kuvexian ships? That was an FSC sponsored mission and it cost Yamatai nothing. No strings attached. If FSC is the perfect example it might actually be a bad idea that's being pushed.

Reactions: Wes
@Ametheliana I don't want to make this sound rude, but just because the admin made it and enforces it doesn't mean everyone will like it or want it.
Personally I don't think this is going to affect skully and myself much other than needing approval from zack for everything we make even if it's never used in uso, the whole reason i made horizon how it was to just make stuff for the setting that anyone could use no matter where they were, barring the few restricted items.

But my earlier concerns about leaving the home planet were already addressed and it seems that is fine too so long as i get permission ic so I'm pretty much done here unless something else happens that really hinders me.

I'm gonna stay out of this for the most part. I'd rather not fracture IIS into 7 shards to be able to provide RP to the factions I am now or have plans to with. I'm sure that won't be required by the end of discussions.

Mostly I'm concerned with the implications of nationalisation. I'm not against the idea of licensing but I just look at it in the context of this discussion and see how easy it would be for a nation to be justified in mass nationalisation.

If you're a nation suddenly with a bunch of companies under you alone and they have no distributed protection like before this legislation, why not just eat them all? More shipyards for the war buildup right? Who needs indiscriminate capitalism or free trade when you can be an oppressive protectionist closed economy suddenly overnight with all these vunerable snacks and be better off for it?

I hope for this to be addressed in the IRC, else certain dissatisfied factions could rapidly grow in strength overnight, potentially turning that newfound might against the larger nations. I can potentially see some companies being nationalised willingly if they're marginalised from discussion and the billions of people whose livelihoods depend on them are put at risk with zero regard. Again, not against the idea, it just seems like unforseen implications could destabilise a whole lot if certain influential people and the IRC aren't consulted before an absolute mandate is issued.

Last edited:
@club24 Club if this is passed there will be no possibility for anyone outside of USO to use GH content.
EDIT: Unless your plan is to leave USO. In which case you might be okay.

I think that, for my two cents, this won't prevent them from selling to anybody, but I haven't given it super close scrutinization.

Well its not like anyone does right now so nothing much will change, itdbe a shame though since i think @FrostJaeger wanted some for elysia later.

We can just become one big starship rolling around the universe selling to whoever wants it amd moving on before police arrive xD

It is true that unless USO convinces the other nation that it's one of them, it could result in USO continuing to be being considered a bunch of outlaws and none of the mainstream nations would work with USO companies because they wouldn't be seen as legitimate. If GH is an USO corp, then it wouldn't be allowed to do business in Yamatai (though it's probably already not allowed now, technically, since Yamatai doesn't give business licenses to businesses of non-ally countries).

One could argue that in a very roundabout way, Yamatai is essentially putting heavy pressure on the USO to support them and Nepleslia, etc, in exchange for a seat at the international table. What that support would consist of is not clear, but it probably would have to do with the war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back