• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Submission FSC Scalable Pulse Laser Technology

Rizzo

Submission Type: Weapon Technology
Submission URL:Link

Faction:
FM Approved Yet? Yes, by me
Faction requires art? Yes, Pending

@Ametheliana, this one could really use your attention to detail, it's going to be a little crazy. This is technically 12 weapons.

@CadetNewb, I want to make sure that this cannot be abused, would you mind looking it over as well?

@Fred please let me know if you see any issues with the DR. Your da boss!

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
The scalability of the weapon is something I find pretty daunting.

Truth be told, I was planning to add a directed energy weapon of variable yield on my own ship, but I wasn't exactly sure how I would implement it/sell it to the NTSE board without raising alarm flags.

Something like Tier 12 as basic use, but then you could tune the yield down and get a higher rate-of-fire in return to fend off small craft attackers/point defense. And I was hesitating to cross down to the mecha scale. That said, my own phased-pulse beam array was a different concept, and took more after Star Trek beam arrays (phaser strips) and had flexible angles of fire, whereas this seems to be a weapon with an actual muzzle that you can aim at a target, with all the lenses and emitters.

So, I'm seeing a bit of me in Rizzo, except just tossing caution to the winds. \o/

I don't have any problems with the DR, aside that it's super flexible. It does seem to have been well thought out logistic/part-wise.

I'm going to be interested in how the mods will rule, as this might set precedent for me in the future (or not >_>; )

The scalability of the weapon is something I find pretty daunting.

Truth be told, I was planning to add a directed energy weapon of variable yield on my own ship, but I wasn't exactly sure how I would implement it/sell it to the NTSE board without raising alarm flags.

Something like Tier 12 as basic use, but then you could tune the yield down and get a higher rate-of-fire in return to fend off small craft attackers/point defense. And I was hesitating to cross down to the mecha scale. That said, my own phased-pulse beam array was a different concept, and took more after Star Trek beam arrays (phaser strips) and had flexible angles of fire, whereas this seems to be a weapon with an actual muzzle that you can aim at a target, with all the lenses and emitters.

So, I'm seeing a bit of me in Rizzo, except just tossing caution to the winds. \o/

I don't have any problems with the DR, aside that it's super flexible. It does seem to have been well thought out logistic/part-wise.

I'm going to be interested in how the mods will rule, as this might set precedent for me in the future (or not >_>; )

If you can do it on power armor infantry weapons I'm pretty sure the tech can apply to shipboard weapons.

I'm seeing this as a single weapon that, once built up to its ideal state, has variable yield in a very very wide range. That's really versatile.

I'm not seeing this as 12 different weapons for each tier that can be used by the units so much as a ...telescope on which you can add lenses to, but in its ideal station it can switch across any magnification to perform its job.

I'm finding a small inaccuracy in my write up. The part I labeled 'emitter assembly' doesn't actually emit anything, it just dispenses electricity into the part labeled 'focusing array' which emits the laser. I'll correct that soon.

That's a good way to look at it @Fred, it's very similar to a telescope and the bigger the 'focusing array' part is the more punch it'll pack per shot. Now it's a question of carrying the parts you've chosen. A tier 1 setup will be far more portable than a tier three.

As far as RoF goes I figure I'd leave it the same across the board. In a very frustrating technology argument I've had it was supported that nothing needed to be made efficiently regarding life support because the technology needed to cool a room and stop heat from bleeding in could 'fit in a burger box.' So my cooling system is generous, image pending.

It was also argued, and supported, that power was so easily generated in such great quantities that efficiency was irrelevant so I figured 'why bother complicating things scaling range, RoF, and ammo capacity?'

I'll let the NTSE decide what's fair and balanced and I'm hoping that this tech will put more power in their hands to balance the individual submissions using it.

I'll check this out once you've made the correction you noticed that needs to be done, Rizzo!

"charges it's capacitor" (Its not it's)

"and Wiring to" (No need to capitalize wiring)

I see no other spelling or grammar problems here.

I do wonder what Cadet will say, but I think it is versatile, as Fred said. It's definitely something to be built on and not something that is inherently OP imo.

I always assumed ships could dial down their weapons if they needed to but manipulating the power to the weapon.

This isn't quite a weapon article, but more of a technology one, right? One to establish a company/faction has access to lasers?

Basically. When I use them in a submission (like my fighter) I'm going to link to this article and list the components, damage output, RoF, and range, then let the moderator decide if it needs to be adjusted based on the application. Lasers are just so basic I felt that making a submission for every single one would be a waste of time. This tech can also be used in the future to arm NPC enemies with ease.

I don't think it's quite possible for you to do that to be honest, though I can understand the desire to cut out repetitive work.

The technology article can be used to lighten the load by having the most repetitive details in itself, but each weapon still needs to be done, as even a laser can have a lot of depth to it. More importantly though, what kind of laser is this? Right now I'm not sure if it's a solid state, free electron or chemical one. Additionally, the wavelength of operation is important too; three common ones would be visible light, infrared and ultraviolet.

Honestly, I don't know nor do I care what kind of laser it is. I don't think anyone else will care either Electricity goes in one end and a laser comes out the other. This is generic technology, I'm not going to make an individual write up for every single caliber of the same damn thing when this genaric article contains more detail and flexibility these:
link
link
link
And to be honest I'm a little disappointed that you would make it seem that 12 article submissions are necessary when this tech puts stat control directly in the NTSE's hands and is literally the most basic weapon technology on the site. There is nothing special about this technology. If you make a ship with these the NTSE moderates the stats. If you make a pistol, the NTSE moderates the stats. If the bad guys just have random guns, well, here they are.
Let's not overcomplicate this.

To be fair, those are older articles, and are likely Kai's or Five's.

Thing is Rizzo, the separate article submissions would be very simple and cut down after you get the tech article done. A bit more than what you linked, but not too much. Though, perhaps more importantly, the type of laser and the type of emitter for it do happen to matter a lot. For an example, infrared lasers will burn and cauterize wounds or melt their way through metal, while ultraviolet ones will cut through flesh so that the person bleeds freely for an example, same as with armor. Most people don't know that.

Still, keep in mind that this is simply the advice I'm giving since I was called, and that you're not forced to follow it; Ametheliana is the tech mod reviewing this article after all.

Okay, I've updated to an infrared laser but if I'm forced to write 12 more articles defining the obvious the NTSE will absolutely lose the ability to moderate stats(range, RoF, ammo cap, etc.) on the real submissions. If someone choses the parts that fit DR3 they WILL have the agreed performance regardless of a moderators afterthought. I believe in building with approved tech.

I'm going to change up some stuff for more customization options.
Conical beams, smart gun tech, different electrical systems. It'll open up possibilities

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=wip:corp:fscorp:fms:emitter_assembly
Big upgrade! It's not ready for review but I want to make sure the info that is there is correct. @CadetNewb since you seem to know what's up with lasers I was hoping you could look over the emitter section. I have defined quirks to the different wavelengths based on a conversation I had a while ago. I'm probably wrong about some of those quirks so I would appreciate your advice. And this time I promise I won't bite. I'm sorry about last time, it was a really rough week.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back