• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Ketsurui Samurai Dissolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the loop. No worries there. I get to help carry it out, which I'm humbled I get to do among the group we'll have.

Fred and Wes have the big plan.

Why aren't I in the loop? Whenever Yui's final announcement is made, I'd like to be able to post things without having the event sprung on me and thus rush to get something out.

I play legit the oldest player character of the samurai order by time in service, and a member of the imperial family who utilizes a samurai yojimbo/sensei.

Please PM me the date of Yui's announcement so that I can write quality, non-rushed posts.

You'll find out and have the time you need.
No.

I need to know Yui's final order, preferably in advance, as I have the senior samurai character in existence other than Tsuya. If it's not what's in this thread, then I request that @Wes PM it to me if he doesn't make it public.

It's a peculiar idea. Not a bad one, but peculiar.

I think the "two houses" doesn't add up with how the Samurai would ultimately react. Nor does it jive with the OOCly desired presentation.

Which isn't to say there won't be some strife, some handwringing. Tough decisions abound. But a division as suggested leaves a structure that is outside the desired return to basics.

No.

I need to know Yui's final order, preferably in advance, as I have the senior samurai character in existence other than Tsuya. If it's not what's in this thread, then I request that @Wes PM it to me if he doesn't make it public.
OK. Request away.

Well, I drew the idea off of Japanese history and how there's usually main houses and branch or subservient houses, and went with that. I thought it'd be a nifty idea, but if it doesn't quite mesh together with IC samurai reaction and OOC presentation, would it be more fitting if the divide is internal? That way, IC, only the most rigid, zealous and loyal ones are kept close. Though you mention a return to basics, I'm worried it doesn't accommodate players very well. I think that this might do it.

I think those players certainly will have choices to make. But there could be more "room" than you imagine.

I wouldn't worry before you read. It doesn't help one's mental state, yeah?

He might be destroyer of worlds, but Fred is sensitive and attuned to player concerns too. As is Wes and myself.

Of course when I wanted to run a plot involving traitors in the army it's not possible for that to happen. Yes, makes far more sense for the samurai to turn coat. I am liking this new direction. Perhaps conditions are right for Black Cipher to make it to plot planning.

I'm not adding fuel to more samurai turncoats. We have some of those already.

@raz I don't know if the order Wes made earlier in this thread is the final thing, but it's what I'm adhering to so far. I outlined what my approach was going to be in this post. I'm trying to compromise between the gravity/severity I was going for and letting this stay the more manageable solution you expressed Wes' order presented for you earlier.

The way the news is likely to be distributed is to Tsuya first, then to some of the eldest at the samurai house before the next was going to be broken to the rest of those present at the Samurai house through assembly.

I'd say my attention is more directed toward showing off dilemmas (hinting at Ame's bullet list) than any hard conclusions beyond what does actually concern my plot: those amongst the samurai whom do want to join my PCs to help bring the Shadow Vipers to justice.

Last edited:
those amongst the samurai whom do want to join my PCs to help bring the Shadow Vipers to justice.
The samurai have been out bringing the Shadow Vipers to justice. My samurai has canonically hunted some down (that's why she's stationed away from a particular protectee; as a veteran bodyguard for the clan it's her duty to go and destroy those who threaten it).

In fact, of all the organizations in the entire setting, the Ketsurui Samurai are already the most likely group to be hunting down Shadow Vipers to eradicate their own shame. It's their duty.

tl;dr: The supposed reasons for destroying all actual player character samurai that keep spontaneously cropping up as time trickles by still don't hold up to scrutiny.

Last edited:
Let's keep things on point, rather than debate over what has already been talked about. I was trying to extend an olive branch to you by giving you the answers you lacked. It would be disingenuous of me to allow myself to get distracted.

So, to focus on the answers you said you needed to have:
  • The order Wes' wrote for Yui in this thread, unless he changes it, should be what you can use.
  • The equivalent of October 16 on the Yamataian YE 39 calendar would be the date you wanted to have.
So now you have all you need to write quality, non-rushed posts. Have a good one.

Reactions: Wes
I want to know the status of the samurai spoken about in this thread in RP or article-wise from the people last noted to be working on it. @Doshii Jun @Fred were the last people to take up the mantle of the task of rebuilding it with a slight oversight from Wes, I think. Is this still the case and, if so, what are you two doing that you feel like sharing with the site? If nothing has been RP'd or wikified about this, do you have plans? If you want to make a GM/FM board thread for it, that is fine, too. If you have done absolutely nothing outside of BK stuff and it's not ready to be shared, that is fine, too.

The Ketsurui Samurai, as an organization, still exists and should remain operational. However, as dictated by the order Yui released - aside from exceptions - they mostly operate in the context of Ketsurui Clan interests rather than as part of the Star Army as a whole.

When the order was released, there was something of a shock within the organization. Some samurai chose to regain their honor, perceived as blemished - in ritually ending their lives. Another group chose retirement, but with the intention of joining Ketsurui Sora in hunting down the Shadow Vipers. Others chose to retire to civilian life and pursue other aims; amongst those some whom decided to take Yui's offer and fully transition into becoming a Star Army soldier.

The rest of the Samurai remain at the Samurai House, carry out their duties in regards to the Ketsurui clan... and it's pretty much business as usual. There was subtext that Tsuya might take her life too, but I very much doubt Wes would want that to happen. I know my oldest Samurai NPC, Chizuru Saya, tried to keep it cool and decided to be of use to Yui as long as Yui found use for her.

Plot-wise, there will be no further activities from the Shadow Viper traitors in relation to Yamatai; so things are unlikely to get worse - in that respect, anyways. Unless Wes states any specific change he wants to see happen to the Ketsurui Samurai; it seems like the status quo that was promised is what is going on.

I don't intend to do any work on the wiki in that regard, and I will ask Doshii to refrain from doing so. We feel like we were heavily demonized when this was going on and it was clear that further action from us in relation to that context was unwanted... so we plan to give this a wide berth. We have what we want, we're reasonably happy with how we're progressing, and we don't need to risk any further drama.

Last edited:
Okay, all of that seemed really good until I read you don't want to update the wiki... I can respect that and your reasons. I think we should have it solidified on the wiki that this transition took place and an update on how to use a Ketsurui Samurai in RP should happen in the article. Who do you want to do this? You gave enough information there for a wiki update to be made with this info, alone. To my knowledge, I've updated wiki you cared for before with little problem, so I could take on this task or someone else you think would be a wise choice, could, as well. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back