• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Aeon [Mission 1.1] A little training Exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Oh!" Hoshi said, blinking. He stopped a confused smile from appearing on his face, and nodded. "Alright. Thank you, Tomas-Hei."

Hoshi then went to his new cabin, and put his things away. He signed onto the roster for the room, and made a beeline for the Armory to secure his own Mindy. All the while, a smile had crept onto his face, and he was grinning by the time he made it into the Power Armor Bay.

Alia kept pace with the acting first officer.
"Well Kim-Kohosei, I looked at the current bunk layout and I don't know which to choose. Only cabins 7, 8, and 9 are left. Also they all have someone already rooming in them. I only know one of those people, Yukimura-Hei. He is a good man but I would rather bunk with a girl then a guy. However the only other girl is Sum'ishi-Hei and I don't think we could get along. So what I'm asking is if you were in my position who would you choose to be your cabin mate?"

Wanting to be useful Josea had joined the Aeon crew with the task of stowing their armor. While he did not know how to pack up the armor, he was certainly capable of carring the armor to the cargo bay.

After helping the Aeon crew store their old armors. Josea walked over to Haruhi. Bowing slightly "Haruhi-Santô Juni, can you explain why Ise-Taii wants me fitted for a power armor. In accordance with the agreement between the SSS and the Star Army, Riezon personnel are not to be directly involved in combat. We are of course allowed to defend ourselves."

“Yo,” Haruhi responded to Kahen with a nod in recognition of her rank and the work she and the rest of the veteran crew had done. “Nice job, I hope some of your work ethic will rub off onto the newbies.” She scanned the power armour bay, checking out the neat rows of shiny new Mindy armours racked against the walls and those left out for those yet assigned one. “Your armours set up for training mode?” Haruhi asked. She would still check them along with the other PA to make sure, but it would at least save her some time to work on the new enlisted crew if the others had already done that much.

Haruhi spied some of the Santô Heis enter the bay, and she turned her head to direct her words at them. “Step right up, step right up, there 're Mindys for all,” she checked out their heights, her lips twitching momentarily into a frown – each of them had at least half a foot on her which put them all in the 'tall' height range for 3As – before pointing out the correct ones. “Those three there. Get 'em unpacked, checked, and present them for my inspection 5 minutes ago,” she barked.

With that out of the way she turned again, this time towards the SSS Liason as he questioned her on the Taii's decision. “The Taii wants you in something that won't turn into a wannabe cheese grater the first time a hostile looks at you sideways, which is understandable given the way things are going these days. To that end after the training exercise is done I'll be modifying one of the 2As for you, disabling all its weapons, and training you on it's use.” Haruhi looked over to watch the Santô Heis as they worked. “Don't worry about getting into combat, if it happens it wasn't the Taii's idea, and your arse won't be the only one getting shot at.”

Yani replied to Haruhi, "Actually Haruhi-Juni only Anderson-Hei's armor is in Training mode. The rest of us will be staying aboard the Aeon while you and the other new folks take your little trip. After all we have to keep some people on the ship to keep things running." She said with a grin.

Josea looked at Haruhi and mulled over her words. "I can see the logic of that, but will I fit into one of those 2A's, I am taller than everyone on the ship except for Toranaga-Hei at 5' 9. I look forward to working with you, any opportunity to learn new skills is a good thing."

Asi nodded in Haruhi's direction as he entered, then followed her orders. After unpacking the Mindy, he connected the the computer, and started a full diagnostic and start-up check. He then started going over it by hand. He wasn't trained as a mechanic, but he was willing to bet he could notice anything major at least, and maybe get it fixed sooner this way. After going over everything, and not finding anything especially odd about it, he checked the computer, for the finished information. With the diagnostic and him in agreement as to the fact that nothing was wrong, he quickly got the Mindy over to Haruhi for her inspection. "Ma'am? I believe I may be ready to have this Mindy inspected."

Eun-Kyung stopped as they reached the hatch to the power armor bay and turned, her brow furrowing as she looked past Alia. Unless this “Sum'ishi-hei” happened to be the seemingly male Yamataian she had spotted at the briefing, which would be rather odd for a girl, she presumed that Ise-Taii had in fact added two more crew to the ship since dinner the night before. Pleased about approaching full complement for the ship, Eun-Kyung moved her head slightly to meet Alia's eyes. “Have you had much interaction with Sum'ishi-hei?” She rather doubted it, but it was possible the two were acquaintances from basic training. “I would not like to think there will be problems within the crew before we even depart. But if you really feel uncomfortable rooming with her, you might ask the two gentlemen if they would be willing to move. In the end, though, I would recommend preparing yourself to make the most of your situation, even if you find it to be somewhat lacking.” She smiled kindly and half turned to trigger the hatch to the armor bay. “If you need anything else, I am always available. At the moment, however, we should all be preparing to get to our duty stations before we launch; the Bridge, for us,” she said, with a nod at the gray panel on Alia's uniform shared on her own. Fully turning now, she strode into the bay, quickly locating the Master-at-Arms. “Ah, Haruhi-Juni. What do you need from me?”

Taikai nodded in response to Haruhi-Juni's orders and moved towards a Mindy that was her size. She felt a small wash of embarrassment that she was the only woman among the new crew members who was heading for the tall range of amour, but it was soon lost in the awe of actually getting to use a 2-3A.

Her dark blue-green eyes drank in the sight of the shining new armor for a few seconds before she reverently lifted the helmet off the stand. After a short pause, the Mindy split down the center seam and opened before her.

Taikai put the headset on and commanded the computer to run a diagnostic on her suit. While it was doing that, she quickly examined both the interior and the exterior of the suit. Though she hadn't actually seen a 2-3A before, she had been trained on a 2-2A in Basic, and from what she understood, most of the systems and schematics were the same.

After a quick examination, Taikai found the box full of standard supplies that came with the Mindy unit. She opened it and removed the items from their protective packaging, then stored the rations, uniform, and weapons in the storage compartment between the armor's shoulder blades. Next she double-checked each of the hardpoints and the thigh slots, finding them all ready for use.

She hadn't found any physical or mechanical problems with the suit, and soon after she finished the computer quickly reported that all of the systems were green. Satisfied, Taikai removed the headset and carried her armor over to where Haruhi-Juni was inspecting the armor of one of the other newcomers. Waiting politely for her inspection turn, Taikai turned to the waiting man. "I'm Sum'ishi Taikai - Santo Hei."

Asi jumped slightly. He'd been fairly focused on Haruhi and his Mindy, so he hadn't noticed her coming up beside him. He turned to look at her, and bowed slightly. "Im'inao Asine, Santo Hei as well. I'm pleased to make your acquaintance." He smiled slightly. "Are you new as well, or have you been with Ise-Taii before this?"

"Oh, I'm new," Taikai replied. "The Aeon is actually my first assignment." She started to adjust the weight of the power armor in her arms, but stopped as soon as she realized what she was doing. She wouldn't want Haruhi-Juni to catch her fidgeting. Instead she looked back at Im'inao-Hei, "And you?"

"My first as well. I'm fresh out of basic. The Taii seems nice though, and the ship looks like she'll hold up." He chuckled slightly. "Though, I certainly hope she wouldn't be set to go out if she wouldn't." He looked at her armor, then back at his. "These seem nice enough, I might end up spending more time in it then otherwise. Less to deal with at least."

Hoshi, upon arrival in the Power Armour Bay, had heard the Juni's orders. He called a quick affirmative and moved to a new Mindy. He mimicked Taikai-Hei and Asine-Hei for the most part, seeing as everyone had learned to setup and run a Mindy in Basic the same way. After finishing his task, Hoshi waited idly for Haruhi-Juni to come by and inspect his PA.

Hoshi wondered if he could possibly store extra medical supplies in one of the extra storage compartments -- more along the lines of if he could get away with it -- when he heard his two fellow crewmembers introducing themselves.

He didn't say anything to get into the conversation, but listened quietly as the two talked. The thought Dizzying name, actually. ran through his mind twice, and he grinned at the déjà vu.

Katae was on the bridge monitoring the crew progress in getting ready. She was watching Haruhi take charge in the power armor bay. I do believe she is going to work out just fine. From her station she saw that someone had entered the medbay. The system showed that Tomas was getting his mental backup accomplished.

She took a moment to compose and send a message.
To: YSS Henry Chen
Subject: Rendezvous

The YSS Aeon will be underway shortly, and will arrive at the agreed coordinates on time. Appreciate your providing us the opportunity to utilize your facilities.

Sincerely,
Ise Katae-Taii
Commander, YSS Aeon

Sachi meanwhile had entered the wardroom and set about to putting things the way she liked. The Taii might command the Aeon but this was her area of control. After adjusting the tables and accessories, she went into the galley to start a pot of coffee, and planning the evening meal.

Hisa was making her way to engineering, but taking a rather circuitous route. She was visually checking each of the areas that the repair team had been working. So far most of repairs were satisfactory, a few were not a neat as she would like, but there would be time to take care of that later. Entering engineering she paused for a moment, the room was too quiet for her liking. With all of the ship’s vital systems switched off or supplemented by starbase the room felt dead. We’ll soon take care of that. she thought, taking her station and began preparing the Aether generator for operation.

Nodding, Alia placed her bags down and went to Haruhi-Juni to have her new Mindy assigned. While waiting in line she mentally connected to the ship's MEGAMI. Hello, Eternity? This is Tsukiki Alia-Hei, I would like to be assigned to Sum'Ishi Taikai-Hei's cabin. She thought as politely as she could. She figured that it would be best to be bunking with a stand-off girl then any guy.

"I have updated the ship's cabin assignment in accordance with your wishes Tsukiki-Hei." Eternity replied.

“Ah, I had thought it was going to be a picnic for most of the crew, that must be next time. I'll leave the fort in your capable hands then.” Haruhi returned Yani's grin. “Gustav though might have to spend the time thinking small thoughts. What is it with this ship and tall people?” Haruhi frowned and thought for a moment. “It'd be a pain in the arse to modify to allow that much of a height change and in that case why not a 3A? And we even have perfectly good Daisy's aboard which...” there was a short pause as her memory kicked up last night's conversation, and her error flashed into realisation. “... which is probably the best idea. More protection, better suited to atmospheres.” She scratched her head and grimaced. “That's where you'll be doing your work, right?”

The arrival of Eun-Kyung and Tsukiki brought Haruhi's attention back to her Mindy group. “Finally, some normal-sized people.” She pointed out two standard sized Mindys. “Pick one - no fighting over the most fortuitous serial number - and get it unpacked, checked and ready for my inspection by the time I've finished checking out the other three.” With that she went and retrieved one of the diagnostic units that had came with the batch of armours, peeling pieces of protective plastic off the new unit as she returned. Powering it up she ran it through a self-check and made sure the menu structure was the same as she was used to – it was, with only the '3A' designation to hint at its uniqueness – before she turned it loose on the PAs belonging to the three Santô Heis.

One by one she went through the Post Delivery Initialisation, Preliminary User Assignment, Standard Pre-Mission Check and Configuration: Training checklists, putting each of the armours through the various tests and setting changes needed to make an out-of-the-box PA combat ready. Or at least training ready, as the case currently was; weapons all had their outputs locked off or turned down to levels that would register as 'hits' rather than turn pilots into floating gas-clouds. The process took a few minutes for each PA, and after she had finished with the last of the trio she addressed their pilot's. “Right! Now hop in and suit up like I've just sprouted tentacles and started shouting into your head in bad Nepleslian!”

It took Josea a moment to catch Haruhi's drift. "Yes Haruhi-Juni, my areas of specialty are linguistics, sociology and psychology. Cultural studies best for planet side. While I suppose the linguistics could be used on another ship. I suspect that the Taii intends to put my services mainly to use on the ground. I see you are busy, so I will let you perform your tasks."

Alia smiled with visible relief. Thank you Eternity.

Then she snapped to attention once Haruhi-Juni told her what to do. Then with her trained discipline she opened the box of the standard sized Mindy 3A and did as she was told to have it ready like the three other Santo-Heis.

As she was performing this task she thought about the fact that she would soon be piloting the Aeon, this thought made her giddy with happiness and could not wait to get the inspection over with so she could throw her stuff in her cabin before reporting to the bridge.

Taikai nodded politely at Im'inao-Hei, suppressing her slight confusion. Before she could formulate a reply, however, the Aeon's MEGAMI spoke to her. "Your cabin assignment has been updated, Sum'Ishi-Hei, you are now sharing the bunk with Tsukiki Alia-Hei."

"Thank you for informing me, Eternity." Taikai replied. Mentally, she sighed a little regretfully. She had only had a room to herself for almost a whole hour. Well, at least one roommate was a vast improvement over five, which was the least amount she had shared with since joining the Star Army. In fact, the last time she had only had one roommate, she was a young child. And though they hadn't been introduced yet, Taikai hoped that Tsukiki Alia-Hei would be a nice person to share with.

When Haruhi-Juni finished inspecting their Mindy units and ordered them to suit up, Taikai rushed to obey. She removed the helmet, and stepped into the suit as soon as it cracked open. When the Mindy closed around her, she put the helmet on and smiled grimly as the displays flashed into existence. When her former instructors had issued orders like that, they usually followed up with an attack of some sort. She had learned very quickly to move fast and always be prepared.

Hoshi jumped into his PA as well, fumbling with the helmet before putting it on. With the display up, he checked that all his movement controls were correct.

The process took maybe a few seconds, and after that he waited for the Juni's next order.

Asi figured that he and Taikai could finish up their conversation later if at all, and so went ahead and suited up, waiting a moment before steeping into his now open armor. However, before he put his helmet on, he did a quick check on his range of motion, to make sure that hadn't changed with the update to the 3A. Satisfied that it was close enough to what he was used to, he went ahead and put the helmet on. Once the displays came up, he configured them to a setting and positioning he liked, and then looked around, satisfied that he was ready for whatever they had in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back