• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

RP (non-canon): D&D Mission 1: Getting "Acquainted"

"So loud," Talarin muttered as he contiuned pulling Aurelus backwards down the stairs, not noticing that Sorri was climbing up behind him."He's on his way down now!" he shouted over his shoulder.

"Don't bring him down, I'm coming up!" Sorri called as she raced up the steps.

The small one met the two men descending, dodging to one side to avoid Talarin backing his way down (why he was doing that with Aurelus such a condition, she couldn't tell). "Stop moving him around, you might make it worse!" she scolded, looking for the injury and noticing the blood. "Put him down here and tell me what--wait, didn't he have a torch?" The quarterling asked, glancing at Talarin while setting her lantern down on the steps and reaching for her medical suppies. Flames on a staircase wouldn't be something they needed right then.

Talarin released Aurelus as the small quarterling came to the rescue. Asking questions about Aurelis's torch. He gasped as he quickly looked around and picked it up, hopefully before the flames caught on the stairway.

When Aurelus saw the short healer, he grunted, and revealed the open wound from beneath his hand. "I go' slashed by some kind o' sickle blade that came out o' the wall... I's pretty deep, lass." Blood was drenching his shirt. He wasn't loud anymore. The adrenaline rush was over and now he was feeling thirsty, tired and angry.

"Jus' patch me up. We can have Denkou go up th' stairs ta disable the trap once she's done with whatever she's doin'. I'll try ta stay out of harms way till I can rest."

Sorri kept her expression passive as she looked over Aurelus' injury. This wasn't good. She pulled out a length of bandage and folded it, then handed it to him.

"Keep pressure on it," she told him, then put away her kit and pulled out what the one who had sent them on this venture had called a "masterwork" kit. He is going to need stitches. Needle, thread, salve... Sorri tried to keep her mind off of what she was seeing by keeping track of what she needed. This was not quite the worst injury she had ever seen, but close. And just because she had seen something before didn't make it easy to watch. She took another painkiller tablet from her supply pouch and offered it to him.

"Take this, then hold old still."

"Denkou, there is nothing magical about this wall, as far as I can tell." Ghira told the rogue, ignoring the noise of his other companions. "Anything else you would like me to do?"

"Unless you can tell me what is in this next room without going in, nope." That said, Denkou pushed the door open slowly, looking around, and getting ready to duck.

As Denkou peeked into the room she could see no immediate danger. The room consisted of a single ledge, that stretch about 25 feet from both side walls and stretched out about 15 from the door. From the edge of the balcony there were two staircases, both leading downstairs. A railing protected the remaining part of the ledge. No other doors could be seen.

Denkou glanced back over her shoulder. "Hey are we sure the device-thingy" (Very technical term, that) "Is on the top floor? If so, we can just skip over here."

Aurelus did as he was told. He took the strange looking pebbles and, after observing them for a second, looked back to Sorri. Painkiller tablets was something he had never seen, heard, or even thought of before in his life. Not questioning her methods, he held them in his hand and looked at what she was doing.

Aurelus grimaced when he saw her taking out a thread and a needle. "Ah, Pelor... can ye atleast gimme some rum before doin' tha!? You got some on ya lass, righ? Tell me ya do, cuz tha stuff hurts like all hell without i'"!

Sorri got her tools ready and then looked at Aurelus, just then noticing that he hadn't taken the tablet yet. "Eh? Oh, you need to swallow that. Um...you kinda already used the last of my water..." She paused. "Gather spit in your mouth, then pop the tablet-" She nodded toward the thing in his hand. "- and swallow it whole. You can't chew it, that'll just make it taste terrible." She waited for him to do what she said or make other comments before starting on the sewing and the stitching and the shudder-inducing...

"It'll stop the pain. Trust me." And it would. Unfortunately, it wouldn't last very long, so she would need to hurry after he took it.

Aurelus looked at the tablet, then at Sorri. "This pebble'll...? Well, if ye say so..." He did as instructed, allowing some of his saliva to gather up in his mouth, popping the tablet into his mouth and then swallowing. The lump slid down his throat until it was hidden beneath his chest. The effects would be almost instantaneous... he hoped.

"Ye better be righ' abou' this."

Talarin watched Sorri and Aurelus's exchange. He was decidedly interested in the strange pebble that she gave Aurelus. "What are these strange pebbles?" he asked interestedly coming closer towards Sorri.

Sorri shook her head. "I need to work quickly. Go see if the others are okay, please?" She glanced up at Talarin, her eyebrows raised as she made the request.

The tablet went down easy; it wasn't very big. The effects were swift, but still took more than just a few seconds to be felt. Sorri watched as the drug eased Aurelus...maybe making him a little loopy, but definitely feeling better. While she waited, Sorri began pulling whatever clothing or armor was around the slice away and rubbing some salve on the wound, both to clean it as best she could without water on hand and because that particular salve had a numbing agent. The needle was threaded and ready to go. Then she paused.

"On second thought, Talarin, just make sure he doesn't move," the quarterling said quickly, realizing that if Aurelus decided to move while she was working there wasn't much she'd be able to do about it.

Talarin started up to check on the others when Sorri changed her mind and need him to keep Aurelus still. He frowned as he looked at Aurelus's muscles. There was probably little he could do if Aurelus really wanted to move. But Sorri didn't need to know that. He knelt back down and held Aurelus down as best he could.

The stairs were somehow comfortable enough for Aurelus to stay quiet and just keep to himself. He wanted the wound sealed up, anyway. The tablets were making his body feel numb, and, thankfully, that also meant that he didn't feel as much pain as he would from the stitches he was getting.

Still, it did sting a little. "Aghh... keep a' i', lass... le's get this over with that we can go up ther'n save Caloma! Who's with me!? Aye!?" Yep, loopy.

The stitching was done swiftly enough, with pinching and tugging but no extreme pain felt by the fighter. Sorri bandaged him up when the sewing was complete, and then gave him another pill, this one smaller than the tablet.

"Take this, and you should be okay for now," she said, then started packing up her tools.

Talarin let up on Aurelus. He turned back up towards the stairs. "So we giving it another go? I mean since we know that blade is there?"

"I would suggest not." The healer glanced up from her packing at Talarin. "I don't have much left, and you both finished off my water earlier. If we are going anywhere, I would suggest having her..." She nodded her head back down the stairs, where Denkou was. "...check the path before going. So until you convince her to check the stairs, I'm not going up them. If you do, you're on your own."

Sorri shrugged and put the last item back in its place. "Besides, haven't you ever heard that it's a bad idea to split up when investigating an old house? What makes this worse is we _know_ there are traps here. We stand a better chance sticking together."

As Aurelus slowly came to, he heard Sorri talking about going upstairs and sending Denkou first. "The lass 's right, Talarin. Ain' nothin we can do. If we go up there again, there might be some other traps elsewhere an we might jus' get cu' up again... I dunno how many more blows I can take."

He looked over to Denkou from where he was at the spiral staircase and answered the question that she was still apparently waiting an answer for. "Denkou, jus' earlier the wizerd 'ere said they felt i' at the top of the tower. If anythin, it's the only place we haven't checked that's go' lots of magick emanatin' from i'!

There's a trap up there an it needs deactivatin, an' methinks ye're the only one here good at that!

Le's jus go, alrigh!? I wanna get back ta Caloma and have myself a nice damned rat stew! Bastard wizerds'll be hearin from me...!"

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…