Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 September 2024 is YE 46.7 in the RP.

RP (non-canon): D&D Mission 1: Getting "Acquainted"

Ghira sent the snake to go assault the remaining opponent while he tried to identify the floating gem. If it is no longer in the room, then he stands back and lets everybody with actual fighting talent take on the last undead.

Sorri's last swing made a nice 'whiff' sound with a bit of clattering thrown in for good measure as her staff traveled through the remains of a skeleton that the wizard's snake familiar disabled mid-way through the healer's action. Looking around, Sorri saw Denkou begin fending off the last skeleton while everyone else moved, presumably to help her. Well, almost everyone. Ghira had his attention on the floating gem, and Talarin was busy bleeding out.

Sorri nearly dropped her staff as she rushed over to the sorcerer and tried not to fumble as she once again broke out her kit. He's unconscious...these wounds are bad, very bad! she thought, then clamped her eyes shut for a moment to get her rising panic under control. I can't do this myself, please let him live, she prayed. Then all thoughts were put aside as she went to work trying to close Talarin's wounds and hopefully get him to wake up.

Aurelus looked to Sorri, nodded, then looked to Denkou who was currently the only one in trouble. He ran towards the creature that was currently attacking her.

He flanked the skeleton that was attacking Denkou and sent his sword in a vertical, downwards slashing motion at it's head.

"HAAA!"

Denkou took advantage of Aurelus coming in to help, swing at about the same time to try and keep it's attention divided. Now if only I could find a weakness on the damn thing.

Aurelus' and the snake's attacks both missed, but between the combined firepower of both Denkou and Joanna, the skeleton fell. With the help of her healer's kit, Sorri managed to stabilize Talarin, saving him from certain death. With the creatures dead, all that remained was the pulsating glow from the large pearl.

Panting, realizing the last skeleton had been fell before he even got there, Aurelus swung his sword in the middle of the air and stopped it mid-swing, splashing a line of undead liquids and other gore. He then proceeded to look at the glowing red crystal, taking a couple of steps to it.

"Finally... Le's destroy this thin'... aye?" The fighter looked eager to stab the thing, or slash it, or grab it and smash it against the floor... but he was hesitating. He honestly had no idea how it worked.

Thus he turned his head to Ghira and asked the obvious question between heavy breathing. "Tha's wha we... wha we 'ave tae do, righ'?"

Ghira gave the slightest hint of a smile from the last skeleton being slain. He called his familiar back as he turned to face Aurelus, the snake disappearing in a comical puff of smoke.

"While you were felling the last necromantic fiend, I was attempting to ascertain the identity of this gem. From what I can tell, it seems highly probable that this is the one we were looking for." The Imaskari explained, stepping aside. "I'm not sure if there are any defensive enchantments around it, but I think it unlikely that they would have prepared anything more than the earlier traps and the zombies. What I mean to say is. . . smash away."

Talarin groaned and shifted a bit under Sorri's touch but didn't quite wake up yet. Joanna quickly shuffled up alongside Sorri and placed a concerned claw on him. She turned her head towards Sorri, managing again, without words or signals, to ask her if Talarin would be alright.

Denkou, still a bit bloodied, but moving and ready to go, made her way over to Aurelus. "Hold that thought there, for a second. Is there any chance of managing to dispel whatever the mages did to this jewel? Something this big is worth a decent amount if we can keep it intact." She reached out to touch it, then hesitated, not sure that was the best of ideas, especially bare handed. She decided that until she could put her hands on a good pair of gloves, she'd leave unknown magic artifacts alone with her bare hands.

Sorri did as much as she could think to do for Talarin, then looked over at the concerned lizard companion. "He should pull through now, Johanna," she said in a quiet voice, not wanting to catch the attention of the others at the moment. Let them figure out their puzzle and leave the worrying about Talarin's status to his caretaker and friend. "I did what I could. It should be enough to get back to town, I hope."

Joanna sniffed and Seemed satisfied with Sorri's answer. She nuzzled Talarin's face before slipping back into Talarin's warm pocket. She popped her head out every now and then.

"As lovely as it would be to keep such a attractive looking gem, I have absolutely no spells of dispelling sort and it appears that Talarin will be in no condition to cast spells of any sort." Ghira told them, eying the gem. "Though, if you have a scroll that you haven't told anybody about, please do."

Aurelus looked at Denkou. He knew what she was thinking before she had even spoken, but he let her speak either way. Once Ghira had answered her, Aurelus apologized.

"Sorry Den, I'd like ta get me hands on more money as well, but this 'ere gem needs ta get destroyed. Maybe we can sell the shards left behin' in the market, aye?"

Then the ex-soldier turned to look at the glowing stone, putting his shield on the floor and grabbing his longsword with both hands.

"Time ta release th' accursed sickness from our bodies and our souls! EVIL BEGONE!"

Then he raised the sword high above his head and slashed down to the gem with all his might.

"HRRRRAAA!!!"

As Aurelus' swing came down upon the glowing pearl a ray of light shot from the pearl, hitting his sword and blocking the blow. The light went form the blade and swirled over Aurelus' body before it dissipated, Aurelus dropping to the ground a moment later. The pearl was now glowing with a significantly dimmer intensity.

Sorri winced at the fighter's roar as he swung at the gem. Then there was the flash of light, and the lack of the sound of a blade impacting its target. Covering her eyes against the flash, the mender looked up to see what was going on and saw Aurelus falling over. She had no clue what just happened, only that Aurelus looked worse off than Talarin had been seconds before, if that was even possible (apparently it was).

"Yhav gahta bhe khedden..." she muttered, her face going pale, glancing at the others. "What in twelve suns happened?!" Rushing over, she tried to see what was wrong and, at the very least, try to keep his heart beating and lungs breathing.

"That is just abysmal." Ghira sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose in thought. The Imaskari grumbled and cursed several times in Roshoum as he did so. He turned to Denkou after this minor fit of rage and stated, "I should have known. Corruptive magical artifacts corrupt things. Well, that's a terribly foolish mistake on my part. Would you like me to strike it next and hope it breaks? After all, I seem to have taken the least hits out of all of this, and it would only be fair for me to do something besides setting a snake on it."

Denkou sighed, leaning up against the wall nearest her. "You go right ahead. I'm not going anywhere near anything glowing like that if I have any choice at all."

Ghira nodded to the rogue and positioned himself so that he made a 90 degree angle with the wall, with the gem as the vertex. Holding his staff by the very end, he swung (sp?) at the accursed object, standing as far back as he could without overextending his reach.

Ghira struck the object with his staff. Just as with Aurelus, a beam of light met Ghira's staff halfway. The light traveled up the staff and consumed Ghira. Moments later, his unconscious body dropped to the ground.

Sorri didn't even try to say anything in time. Making sure Aurelus was indeed stable, she slid her medical supplies over to Ghira and immediately set to work on reviving him, trying everything she used on Aurelus to do so.

As she did, though, she shot a look at Denkou. "Don't even THINK about touching that thing!" she muttered.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back