• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Genei Mission 1 - Prologue

mizunoyoroko

Inactive Member
The YSS Genei sat peacefully on the floor of the hangar that she was stored in. Gloriously undersized compared to any other ship in the Empire, save for her sister ships, the hangar that she rested in seemed almost too large for the ship. Her landing struts were extended and a ramp went from the hangar floor to the launch bay. The CIES of the Genei ran through all of the preflight checks as well as updates via PANTHEON and SAINT. Part of her, however, actively scanned for her crew, awaiting their arrival.

Konpeki walked into the bay that the Shosa told her the ship was in and stopped. "This can't be the the right bay. I must have made a mistake." she thought. She turned back to the bay entrance and confirmed that she was in the proper bay. Slinging her duffle bag over her shoulder she approached the ship. Sure enough, there was the designation for the Genei. She made her way up the ramp into the launch bay. She paused to look at the shiny black floor. At least I don't have worry about getting lost on her. She crossed the bay and opened the doorway to the interior of the ship. She stepped forward while still looking around at the bay, and smacked her head. "What the..." she stepped back to look at the passageway. It was .1 meters shorter than she was. She floated into the passageway, looking for a place to put her gear. After a bit of exploration she found the crew quarters. She put her gear into one of the storage lockers, and set out to explore her new home.

Yamamoto Nobutora had been given 20 hours to report aboard the Genei since been approved for duty. He had decided to show up 19 hours and 46 minutes early. Granted, he would have been earlier if it hadn't taken so long to get from his meeting with Okano-Shosa to the temporary storage lockers, grab his bags, and then make it to the Genei's bay. As it was, he was relatively pleased at it only taking 14 minutes. Entering the bay, Nobutora paused a moment, to take in the sight of his new assignment. It was a little different from his last occupational location: a tall office building in the executive government complex in Kyoto. Shrugging off such thoughts, he reached down and lifted his bags up, but was momentarily distract by a low thud in the distance. Looking closely, he saw a neko reeling back outside the Genei's personnel hatch inside its launch bay. He felt a momentary internal bit of amusement; at least he wasn't going to be the only crewmember occasionally banging his head on bulkheads. He quickly crossed to the ramp and made his way towards the self-same hatch. Carefully stooping, he entered the ship. The interior as claustrophobically small as the hatchway, he quickly decided that lugging around his bags was a bad idea. "Computer," he called. "Yamamoto Nobutora Santo-Hei requests direction to assigned crew quarters."

Konpeki heard the computer acknowledge a person on board. May as well go meet this person. She proceed to float back to the passageway that lead to the crew. Maybe I should have asked the computer about the crewmember, well I'll find out soon enough, has to go through here to get to the quarters.. She positioned herself near the crew quarters. She assumed a lotus position, and floated waiting to see who came.

The CIES had been monitoring the recent boarders with a slightly curious eye for a little bit now. When Nobutora had spoken up it was ready to answer. "Of course Santo-Hei, quarters are in this direction." The CIES's voice was that of a mature woman. As the CIES replied, a neon line appeared in the air, slightly off center of the passageway indicating the path that Nobutara should follow to reach the crew quarters. The line went throughout the tunnels and stopped at the crew quarters, this included passing through the location that Konpeki was currently floating in.

Still watching his head, Nobutora followed the computer's directing line. While the Yuuko class gunship was small, it appeared that plenty of corridors and passageways were jammed and twisted inside its hull. If the computer hadn't been guiding him, Nobutora probably would have made at least two wrong turns. Plenty of time to learn my way around later, he thought. Coming around the final corner, he stopped short. Whatever he had been expecting to find, a blue haired Neko, who looked ten years younger than him and was undoubtedly even younger than that, floating in the middle of the corridor had not been it. He stood for a moment, staring. Then, with an internal shake, he straightened up. "Um... hello. I'm Yamamoto Nobutora Santo-Hei, just assigned here."

"Be careful, these passageways are rather low." Konpeki said with a wry smile, she straightened her form and floated a little closer towards the dark haired Yamataian. "Well, Yamamoto Nobutora Santo-Hei, I am Eika Konpeki Santô Hei also newly assigned." I wonder if he is as old as he looks, hard to say with body transfers. "The third cabin was empty so I put my stuff in one of the storage areas. I figure the Shosa will let us know how she wants them assigned. I was going to explore the Genei, why don't you store your stuff in the same room, and we can explore together."

"Umm... Yes," replied Nobutora. If the answer didn't entirely make sense, then that was because he was feeling a little uncomfortable. Certainly, the Neko - Eika-Hei, he corrected himself - was rather more energetic and forward than his usual taste in people, whom, to be honest, were most usually found in a morgue. Surprisingly, though, that wasn't the source of his discomfort. He couldn't explain why, but he felt a degree of relaxation that normally disappeared at the initiation of social interaction. But the thought, even the semblance, of rooming with a female generated more than enough awkwardness and discomfort to spread around. He had lived alone or with his parents his entire life and had never had a relationship before. Hell, he hardly even had friends, let alone female friends. Female students in his classes, yes. Female co-workers, yes. Female superiors, yes. But this...? He mentally shook himself, for what felt like the thousandth time since he stepped on the station, and quickly deposited his bags in the room. I guess I should have considered this possibility, he chided himself. Afterall, the Star Army is overwhelmingly female, and if I remember right, this ship is specially designed for NH-29 operation. Stepping back into the corridor he turned to his companion with a curt nod and a very tight grin. "My things are stowed. If you wish to lead the way?"

Konpeki watched her crewmate as he thought about her suggestion. Did I say something to make him uncomfortable? Just seemed sensible that since we're both new to put our stuff in an empty room, until the Shosa tells us otherwise. "I guess we may as well start at the top with the bridge. I don't expect to spend much time there since its not my area of specialization. Just want to see it." she said with a grin, "Computer - please show us the shortest route to the bridge."

"Of course Eika-Hei, the bridge is this way." the CIES responded. The neon line that had directed Nobutora to the quarters dissapeared and was replaced with another neon line that would lead the group to the bridge. Interesting... the CIES thought to itself as it watched the pair interact. I think I like them.... it thought with a small smile of satisfaction before going about creating it's avatar.

Konpeki glided into the passageway sideways, so as to watch where she was going, and yet face her companion. "So Yamamoto-Hei, how long have you been in the Star Army?" That should be a safe question, or maybe not. He looks older... maybe he got demoted for something... oh well too late

"One year," he said immediately and with a tone of finality. The awkward silence that ensued made him feel a little guilty, as he floated ahead looking forward, not meeting the Neko's - Eika-Hei's! - eyes. She's just trying to make conversation. The thought surprised him a little. He usually wasn't concerned about being a good conversationalist; maybe his time in the highly social ranks of the Star Army was starting to rub off a bit. That thought... he wasn't sure if he liked that or not yet. But for the moment, he decided to continue speaking. "I was formerly an analyst for the executive intelligence service. After four years, I was contractually obligated to quit. I had worked with SAINT analysts and officers before in some joint task groups, so I thought the Star Army might be a place for my talents." Then he surprised himself again by half turning to face his companion. "And you?"

Konpeki winced inwardly. I obviously struck a sensitive issue." she thought. She could sense by his mannerisms that he was uncomfortable with the current topic, she was about to speak when he continued. "I am sure that your prior experience will serve you well in SAINT. You have a greater famliarity with SAINT operations that I do. I only just recently graduated from Star Army training." As they floated thru a junction in the passageways, she paused for a moment and sang three separate notes cocking her head slightly. She resumed moving along with Yamamato.

Nobutora didn't really know how to respond to the notes suddenly emitted by his companion, so he didn't. Instead, his face took on a sort of pained version of a neutral expression. "Um... well..." he started. "I think I'm probably more out of my element than you. I was an analyst, not an operative. I worked inside an office building, decrypting enemy transmissions and examining other pieces of intelligence. Somehow I doubt that's all I'll be doing aboard this ship." He carried on in silence for a moment before the oddity of Eika's last action was just too much. "I'm sorry for being so impertinent, but, well... what exactly did you make those... noises for?"

"Noises? Those were clear notes. Well I guess it might seem strange. Konpeki's eyes sparkled with mirth and she let out a brief laugh. "Oh, that, force of habit. Before I joined the service I was a singer. I was testing the acoustics. When I was younger my mother taught me to check out any new place I was at for sound quality. Since I hope to be staying on the Genei for a while, I just wanted to test the passageway. Sometimes when I have too much on my mind, I like to find a good spot to sit and sing. Clears my head and helps me to think. I am sorry if it bothered you. I will test the the other junctions when I'm alone."

The instant he heard her reply, Nobutora straightened up, cringing mentally. "Eika-hei," he began in his most formal tone. "Please let me assure that I meant no disrespect in my question. You are perfectly at liberty to enjoy yourself however you wish. Please do not let my rudeness disturb you." Even while saying that aloud, he was chiding himself. Idiot! She's a singer! You won't last the week if you're so uptight! It was true that this was going to take some adjustment, but Nobutora hadn't thought he was this dysfunctional socially.

This is not going well, let's try some damage conrtol. Konpeki thought. She brought herself to a stop in the passageway. "Yamamoto-san, you do not need to apologize. You were not rude. I took no offense at your question." she turned her head towards the side of the passageway. "It is I who should apologize to you, I should not have laughed at your question. It is obvious that something about me is making you uncomfortable. I am sorry." Konpeki turned back towards the way they had just come. "Perhaps it would be best if I left you alone. So I will not make you more uncomfortable."

Damn, thought Nobutora. This isn't good. The Captain said I need to relax. Just think of that as an order! "Eika-hei, please. That is not necessary. You have done nothing wrong." He paused for a moment, turning to not-quite face the Neko. "Any awkwardness present is entirely my fault. I am not very socially adept, as I think this conversation has evidenced. That was why I did not get promoted in my four years at executive intelligence. I was probably the best analyst in the service technically, but I was not a 'people person.'. If you leave and let my dysfunction be for now, it will probably be better for me in the short term, but not in the long term. And I can't really afford to fail in another position. So please, I would prefer it if we continue this tour together." He paused, now actually meeting the Neko's eyes. After a moment of studying those dark, violet pools, he smiled, quite uncharacteristically. "For what it's worth, I've actually been more comfortable talking to you than almost anyone else in my life so far."

Konpeki smiled at Yamamoto. "You should really do that more often. You have a nice smile." She turned around and floated back along side of him. hmm... that explains a lot. she thought. "Well, we certainly can't have you fail on this ship. So if you wish, I would be willing to help you work on your social skills. My time the various clubs my mother and I played in taught me a lot about socializing." She held out her hand, "Shall we get to the bridge now?"

Nobutora took the proffered hand with a sharp nod. "Well, in the meantime, I must ask for your forbearance. Years of habit will likely be hard to break, however skilled the teacher." He was trying, valiantly, to keep any awkwardness he felt at the compliment about his smile out of his speech. To be honest, he wasn't quite sure how successful he was, but one thing was certain: he didn't want his impropriety to ruin the flow of conversation again. It had helped to think of the Shousa's suggestion to "relax" as an order, but for the moment, he genuinely felt such compulsion unnecessary. So he tried another tack. "Is my manner of speaking odd? It just appears to me that there is some disparity in this conversation. I suppose I could explain it to you in terms of syntax and morphology, if that would help. There's also the fact that the Shousa found it odd, or unpleasant perhaps, that I referred to myself and her in the third person when speaking formally. Am I incorrect in thinking that is an acceptable form of military address?"

RPG-D RPGfix
Back