• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Genei Mission 1 - Prologue

Osaru bowed with respect to her captain. "No, ma'am." I wonder if she's testing or teasing, Earle thought to himself. She smiled, trying to gauge the captain's reaction. "There's a certain detachment that comes along with the job. The NH-29 body is the superior body to have in case trouble happens to occur while we're out there, after all," she reasoned. He'd been in enough bodies that it didn't seem weird to him, and so unused to dealing with people in an honest manor, at least outside of his cell, he didn't even consider how odd it looked to Yoshiko.

Konpeki made herself a sandwich, selecting the bread, cheese and condiments to bring out the best flavor. Once she was satisfied with her work, she proceed to cut it into little squares. She put the ingredients back into storage. Then she picked up her plate and held it out towards Yamamoto, "Care for a piece? It is good for a simple sandwich."

Yoshiko wasn't sure how to take Red's 'unique' point of view on the subject rather she wrote it off deciding instead to focus on something else. "Have you met your fellow operatives?" Yoshiko tilted her head to the side as she spoke. i wonder what he thinks of them...if he's met them that is.
Silently the CIES informed Yoshiko that all preparations for launch would be completed shortly, quite ahead of schedule. "Good, we're just waiting on one more person then." Yoshiko responded.

"Only long enough to say hi," Red confessed. "Though, I did come away with the impression Eika-Hei is most likely new and that Yamamoto-Hei is already prepared for the op, but I can prepare a full report for you later on both of them if necessary," she added telepathically. It wasn't probably what Yoshiko had in mind when she asked, but Earle wanted to make sure that his new Captain understood that he was available for anything that might be necessary.

"Hmm? Oh, no thank you," replied Nobutora. "I ate before arriving on the station." He stood back against a bulkhead while Eika finished putting away the ingredients. Eika-hei - san! - is probably right. I'm sure Osaru-hei is just being friendly. I've got to stop over analyzing things or it will be very hard to follow the Shosa's directive to relax.

"Yamamoto-san, do you have any family? Do they approve of your serving in the Army?" Konpeki asked and then nibbled one of the pieces of her sandwich.

Finally. After years of training, years of waiting, and hour of interview, Daria finally was here. The YSS Genei, the... reason she was born. Maybe. She gave it a sense of almost cosmic significance, yet at the same time, it was just a ship. Just a... rare Yuuko class, not very common in the fleet, and SHE was going to fly it. Hah!

So the young neko barged up the ramp, gleefully proclaiming her presence to the world, duffel in hand.

"Hiiiiii~"

The response that Daria Adelle would get however was more than anti-clamatic. Her greeting rang through the launch bay unanswered leaving behind it a cold silence. For a few seconds the CIES pondered how to respond before finally settling on a similar though more energetic response. "HI!!!" the CIES responded perkily as it notified Yoshiko that the final crew member was onboard. "You must be Adelle-Hei!"

"That won't be necessary." Just as Yoshiko flashed Red a grin she received the CIES message. "Go ahead and have her find a place to stow her bags and meet me on the bridge once she's settled in." Yoshiko responded, "Start going through the pre-launch checklist and get us clearance to leave within the next 30 minutes." Yoshiko responded. "Why don't you get yourself a room if you haven't already, then find Eika-Hei and Yamamoto-Hei, and let them know we'll be launching in 30 minutes. We'll have an op brief within an hour after launch." Yoshiko said to Red.

"The captain would like you to find a room and get settled in. We'll be leaving shortly so don't take too long! If you wanna fly that is." the CIES told Daria as a green line appeared for the Hei to follow to the rooms.

Daria giggled slightly as the CIES unit actually responded in kind, but then curtly nodded. With a tug of her duffel, Daria moved on her way, following the green lights.

"But of course. I'll just drop my stuff in there and leave it for later. No real point in delaying launch just 'cause of little 'ol me, right?"

The brunette neko indeed just went to her room, opening the door. It was, of course, obviously not the most spacious of accommodations, since the Yuuko class was small and all. She had read up on it. Hell, she had run full-ship simulations of it at base. But. Duffel to air, air to bed, Daria to the BRIDGE. She had places to be, starships to pilot. She'd at least hang out there until it was fully time to go, familiarize with the systems, all that jazz.

"Yes, ma'am," Aki responded flatly, "I'll do that right away." She had already found her room and stowed away her meager belongings before the Captain had met her in the hall. She's teasing, it seems, she thought as she noted the Captain's grin. Well, most likely they're still in the mess, she figured, so after a polite bow to excuse herself Osaru walked swiftly to inform the others of Yoshiko's orders.

After Red had dismissed himself Yoshiko headed to the bridge. She had been there for less than a minute when Daria appeared. "I see you found your way here." Yoshiko said as the command pod slid open. "Have you ever flown something like this?" Once the pod had completely opened Yoshiko sat down in it, delaying the closing of the pod slighty.

"My parents understand my responsibility to serve the Empress and the Empire," replied Nobutora. He paused briefly, thinking while Eika continued to eat her sandwich. "I cannot conceive of them ever disapproving of any of my actions to such an effect." Finished, he shrugged and looked up at Eika. "And you? Do you have parents or were you purpose built for this assignment?"

Konpeki swallowed the bit of sandwich she was eating. Well our family situation is definitely different. she thought, "Built? No absolutely not. I was born. My mother's name was Eika Shiroi. She is a civilian, originally a Geshrin. She is a singer. She disapproves of my decision to enlist. She wanted me to stay a singer like her." Eika turned away, He doesn't really need to know this, but it feels good to tell someone. "She hasn't responded to any of my letters. I heard from one of her friends, and she said my mother told her that I was doing a tour to entertain the troops." She snatched the plate from the table and dumped the contents into the trash processor no longer feeling hungry. She turned back to Yamamoto with a solemn face her eyes bright with tears that threaten to burst., "I beg your pardon, I probably shouldn't have told you that."

Osaru Aki walked into the mess hall to deliver the Captain's orders, but the look on Konpeki's face was clear, and so she stood back, letting the two have their moment. Mostly it was due to Earle's curiosity on what made his new crewmate so emotional more than anything. Aki, however, was being polite. At least that's how Earle rationalized it.

Now I'll find out what type of person she is, he thought to himself. Either the tears are to manipulate Yamamoto, or she's being genuinely emotional. He sort of hoped it was the former, as otherwise it would indicate that either Eika-Hei had some sort of mental distress or that Yamamoto was the type of person to assert his dominance over his coworkers in a way that would make getting along during a mission very hard. Very hard, at least, until some sort of unfortunate accident occured.

Daria nodded emphatically at her captain's comment, with a smile.

"Yes, yes I have. We~ll. Simulator hours at least. I've logged a few thousand on the Yuuko class, since I was sort of made for this kind of thing! Once we get underway, I assure you I'll be well-appraised of what to do with her."

The catlike grin on her face was the one outward sign of the excessive enthusiasm Daria was just barely holding in. After years of training, this would be it! Her first real flight mission. She could even feel it...

She seems....so green behind the ears. Almost naive. Yoshiko thought as the pod slid shut. She's knowledgeable in piloting....but is she going to be more of a risk than an asset? Yoshiko wondered. Suddenly Yoshiko's world got a lot bigger, simultaneously the dim red lights in the pod shut off and connection to her SPINE interface was made. Yoshiko felt through the ship, felt all of the crew members inside of it, its landing gear on the bay floor, she even saw through the sensors that were everywhere on the vessel. There was another presence there, the comforting feel of the CIES, always nearby giving her support. "Adelle-Hei, whenever you're ready to take off we can do so." Yoshiko said mentally to the Hei.

"Err... That is, umm, quite all right Eika-hei... I mean -san." Eika's emotions were rather evident, and Nobutora did tense up a little, though he tried to keep it discreet. "Surely your mother will realize what a privilege it is to serve the Empire, eventually," he said more firmly, without a trace of triteness or false reassurance. "You are performing the most noble act any proper citizen of the Empire can do. I, well, I should think that if you can realize this, your mother must as well." His voiced died down a bit towards the end, as he clenched his fists behind his back. Nobutora had, unsurprisingly, never really been the sort to dispense unsolicited advice before. This is for the sake of mission efficiency. Emotional disturbances can jeopardize preparedness. Yes. Yes, that's it.

Konpeki puased for a moment and took a breath to clear her thoughts, "I thank you Yamamoto-San. I truly do hope that someday my mother will change her opinion. I know that what I am doing is right for me. It just hurts sometimes to know that she does not approve." I hope he doesn't think I'm this emotional all the time. I just need to let it all go. I don't need her approval. With a deft brush of her face with her hands she wiped away the threatened tears. "Let's change the subject, if you please." Eika said with a small grin, "So did you think I was built for this mission? Do you know what our mission is?"

"Well, you are an NH-29. I would not have thought it that odd if you had been built for SAINT operations. But as you say, you were not," replied Nobutora, very formally and clipped in tone, as he was a little worried whether she had taken offense by the suggestion or not. "And I do not believe the Shosa has informed us of our current mission objectives. She only stated in the most general sense that we are going be doing standard intelligence collection in apparently a variety of situations." He paused for a moment, listening to the faint noises of space flight permeate the hull. "Now that we are under way, I'm sure the captain will inform us."

Konpeki grinned, Damn, I didn't notice that we were underway. I really must work on being more aware. she thought, watching Nobutora's stance, Darn it, I've made him uncomfortable again. "Nobotura..." she said pausing to see how he reacted to her using his first name. "please don't go all formal. I can see how you might think that I was built for SAINT. But nope, I'm just a Valkyrja with a dream of making a difference." She walked closer to him and leaned against the table. "Can I ask you something personal?"

RPG-D RPGfix
Back