• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Genei Mission 1 - Prologue

With an impish grin Konpeki held on to Nobutora's hand, and started flying down the hallway following the line the computer had provided. She made sure to keep either of them from hitting the sides of the passage. "As for referring to yourself in the third person, that is a bit strange. Some might take it as pretentious, or egotistical. Or others would take it as a sign of low-self esteem, trying to make yourself seem more important. " I wonder what kind of family life he had to be socially challenged. she thought. "After all we're equals, so we don't need to keep bandying our ranks back and forth. So we can be less formal, hence why I called you Yamamoto-san, rather than Yamamoto-Hei. Perhaps as we get to know each other better we will become friends and we can use our first names."

"Umm... yes..." he replied lamely, before shaking his head, visibly this time. "I'm sorry. That sounds find to me, Eika-san." He paused for a minute, glancing at the sides of the passageways as they passed. His new Yamataian had some body to manipulate inertia, but it was nothing compared to the abilities of an NH-29. And that was what he focused on, not the warm hand clamped tightly around his own. Yes, propulsion systems... yes... very useful... I should consider them more. But then his mind blanked as one of the things Eika had said registered. "Wait, do you really think the Shousa thought I was being pretentious? I was just trying to show proper respect. But if she thought I was being stuck up..." The dozen and a half ways this could result in his dismissal from the Genei, or worse, the Star Army were already flowing through his head.

Konpeki brought them to a stop just outside of the door and let go of his hand. "I said, some people would think that. I don't know the Shosa well enough to try to guess what she would think. But from the time I did spend with her, I would like to think she's the kind of person who looks deeper into a person. If she thought you were truly being pretentious she probably wouldn't have taken you aboard." She pressed the switch to open the hatch to the bridge."

The bridge hatch slid away from the opening revealing a sparsely decorated room. The room hardly seemed like a bridge and more like every other room on the ship, the only difference however was what was in the room. About two feet away from the door sat a pod, and about two feet forward and to the left and right of the first pod sat two additional pods, angled away from the first and mirroring eachother. Between those two pods sat a third pod facing straight forward.

Konpeki looked at the bridge, and then to her companion. "Okay, definitely not what I was expecting." She moved closer to the the nearest pod. Must use the SPINE interface. she thought. "Well, if these pods are any indication, looks like the bridge crew is going to be NH-29 Nekovalkyrja." She walked back over to Yamamato. "So? Where should we go to next?"

"Yes, that could be problematic if a situation arises where I would have to assist in the operation of the ship," said Nobutora, looking at the pods. "I hope there's some emergency manual configuration." The brief tour of the bridge finished, he stepped back out of the doorway to let his companion out. "Well, perhaps, we could go to the wardroom and mess. I suspect we may be spending a great deal of time there throughout our deployments." While social facilities hadn't been his primary concern before, with his current mindset, they were at the very least of interest, if not vitally important.

At the mention of the mess Konpeki's stomach gave a small lurch reminding her that she hadn't eaten since the evening before. She put a hand to her stomach. "That sounds like an excellent plan, I just remembered that I haven't eaten since last night. I was too nervous when I woke up about meeting the Shosa to eat. Even some Type-30 rations sound good about now." She smiled at Yamamato, "Lead on."

"Well, if you are really hungry, trying to find the mess ourselves, and likely getting lost, is not the best course of action," said Nobutora practically. Glancing at his companion, he made a faint frown. "Really, though, you ought to eat at regular intervals. Even for your NH-29 body, proper nutritional regulation is essential for maintaining appropriate preparedness." Turning briefly away, he spoke into the air. "Computer, is the mess prepared to serve food? If so, directions to the mess, and if not, directions to the closest food source, if you please."

Konpeki grinned, "Lighten up Yamamato-san, its not like I'm going to collapse from starvation. Are you saying you've never been worried about something to the point that you weren't hungry? When I got up this morning I wasn't certain if I was going to be accepted or not."

"Are you hungry?" the CIES responded before querying the inventory. "There is nothing prepared, however it wouldn't take long for you to make a sandwich. There are materials available to do so. Furthermore, if you don't want to take the effort to cook something, we have some extra BentoBags." the CIES lit up a green line for the pair to follow toward the kitchen in case they wanted food.

Silently the CIES signaled the captain that it was about time to start preparations for launch. Already the CIES had begun to apply for launch privileges, started filling out copious amounts of digital paperwork regarding their weapons inventory, food stores, and miscellaneous equipment. Soon everything would be ready, just needing the captain's signature.

"Thank you computer, a sandwich sounds just fine." Konpeki said looking at Yamamato, "Computer have you been given a name or chosen one yet?" She asked as she started gliding along the green line supplied by the CEIS.

Arriving next at the docking bay for the YSS Genei was one Osaru Aki. At first appearances she was a new NH-29 made freshly for SAINT duty, and according to official records, specifically for the Genei herself. Earle still wasn't fully happy with the Captain's decision, but was at least glad she agreed to this compromise. He wasn't completely sure he wanted to be honest about his identity with his other crew mates yet, either. His last assignment was all codenames and coverups, but Okano-shosha seemed to want a more open atmosphere.

I just hope she hasn't told them already, he thought to himself as he stepped aboard the vessel. It was cozy, which was normally a term most people would use to describe something small and cramped, but Earle liked the atmosphere. Unilaterally he decided that Aki liked it as well. Like a womb or something. She's young, still likes the warmth and closeness. This train of thought gave him some measure of introspection, Though, I'll probably drop the act once we're out in space. A show of good faith in my new comrades.

"Genei, who is currently aboard the ship?" he transmitted to the ship's CIES. It responded with the names of the two crew members currently on board, so he further inquired into their location. When the CIES revealed their current destination and gave him his own green line towards the kitchen. He arrived just in time to meet his two new crew mates.

Osaru Aki, a young Type-29 Nekovalkyrja in a Type-30 bodysuit uniform bowed politely in greeting, her two black braids falling over her shoulders as she did so. "Hello," she offered, "I'm Santo-Hei Osaru Aki, but please, call me Red."

Konpeki stopped, Didn't know anyone else was on board. Red? A strange name but as she wishes. she thought, bowing slightly, "Santô Hei Eika Konpeki, Yamamato Hei" she said pointing to her companion, "and I were on our way to the mess to grab some food. You are welcome to join us Red-misu?"

"Pleased to meet you, Eika-Hei, Yamamoto-Hei," Aki responded as she studied her two new crewmates. I wonder if either of them are using temporary bodies, Earle thought to himself. The Nekovalkyrja could possibly be, but seeing as she didn't say anything about his nickname, she probably wasn't anyone he'd previously worked with. The Yamataian, on the other hand, who had still been silent up to this point, might similarly be studying him. At first Earle had pegged him for definitely being a temporary body, but as he thought about it, it didn't make that much sense, especially considering the ship. I wonder why he's not in an NH-29 body. Perhaps they've already been briefed on the current Op and I'm still out of the loop? he reasoned.

"I ate recently and still need to find my bunk," Aki confessed, not wanting to let the air hang too long without a formal response to Konpeki's offer. Casually she brushed her braids back over her shoulders. "Perhaps I will join you if there's still time after I've gotten settled in." Earle really didn't want to discuss anything until they had gotten in to space. That way there was less of a chance of any information getting into the station. Perhaps I'm being too paranoid about the whole thing, he considered. Konpeki had offered no codenames or nicknames after all.

Konpeki watched the other Nekovalkyrja looking at the herself and Yamamato. Guess she's just sizing us up. she thought, on a ship like this probably be normal behavior for new people. She glanced at her companion to see what his reaction to their crewmate was. "Then I guess I'll see you later Red-misu." Konpeki then moved into the mess to gather the makings of a sandwich.

As Eika moved off into the mess, Nobutora finally stopped staring at the newcomer - Osaru Aki Santo-Hei. Red? NH-29. Discordant? - and bowed slightly. "Erm... It is good to make your acquaintance, Osaru-Hei. If you will excuse me." He hurried a bit to follow Eika into the mess, pausing behind her as she searched for sandwich makings. "Eika-hei," he said after checking to make sure that Osaru hadn't followed them. "This may be my social awkwardness again, but did you think there was something... not quite right about Osaru-Hei?" He shrugged and dug his toe into the carpeting, thinking about what he had observed. "I've spent years analyzing all forms of commuication, spoke, nonverbal, etc. Something just seemed off. But I could be overanalyzing all this..."

"I have been given the ability to name myself. As it is though I am not quite sure what to call myself, he you have any suggestions I'd be more than willing to listen to them." the CIES responded.
As the CIES spoke the hemosynth tank in the medical bay slid shut and began to fill with liquid.

Konpeki thought for a moment, "How about Eichi? Its descriptive of your function. At least you can think about it."

mizunoyoroko said:
"I have been given the ability to name myself. As it is though I am not quite sure what to call myself, he you have any suggestions I'd be more than willing to listen to them." the CIES responded.

So I was not mistaken that there seemed to be something a bit different about Osaru. Konpeki thought as she opened the storage area looking for sandwich makings. "We are not on duty, how about we leave the rank off? And I am not sure what to make of Osaru. You have had more dealings with Star Army Intelligence personnel. I did think it a little strange that upon just meeting us she wanted us to use a nickname. But maybe she was trying to be friendly?" Finding what she was looking for she pulled out the stuff and started making a sandwich. "Yamamato, would you care for a sandwich?"

Sean_ODuibher said:
"I've spent years analyzing all forms of commuication, spoke, nonverbal, etc. Something just seemed off. But I could be overanalyzing all this..."

Unknown to the crew, Yoshiko had just stepped into the launchbay of the Genei. "Have you decided a name yet?" Yoshiko asked the CIES as she mentally requested the status and location of the crew members. "No, it is a matter I am taking into deep consideration." the CIES responded. "They seem kinda hungry, I think we can have a lunch of sorts before we set out." Yoshiko said as she slid into the zero-gravity tunnel and toward the kitchen.

Yoshiko stopped in the passage way as she saw an unfamiliar face. "Who is that?" Yoshiko queried the computer, silently it responded that it was Red. "Red-Hei, I see you've found a body. I'm kinda....surprised. You didn't spend too long in front of the mirror before coming here did you?" Yoshiko asked. That's actually kinda creepy. the neko CO thought. A man volunteering to be trapped in a woman's body.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back