• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Eucharis [Mission 18.4] Back on the Ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Sienna noticed the completely naked ID-SOL airing out his freakish unmentionables in full view of everyone, her eyes nearly bulged out of her head. It wasn't often that she was at a loss for words, but at that moment Sienna honestly didn't have any idea how to react or respond.

If anything, she was thankful for the distraction, since the oversized muscle man butted into Conrad's inquiries. She was actually a little amused by the fact that Conrad didn't seem at all fazed by the fact that the other giant wasn't wearing a thing, especially so soon after she'd just made a subtle crack about his own potential inadequacy. Conrad was either very secure with himself, or very very dense.

Taking advantage of Conrad's diverted attention, she turned and looked at Natsumi when she addressed her, shrugging her eyebrows concessively with a nod. "Yeah... yeah, that'd be good," she replied, looking down at her slightly. "Pretty sure even if what you got doesn't fit, I still think I'd prefer it. I may as well have stuffed myself in a giant condom." Almost immediately she shook her head imperceptibly, trying to get her mind off of what she'd just seen, and catching her eyes before they wandered in baffled astonishment back to the superman. "Er, clown suit. Whatever," she corrected herself. "Thanks."

She unconsciously glanced back at the ID-SOL before she realized what she was doing and averted her eyes again. With everyone's attention still on the impressive and brazen display, she moved quickly out of the corner, motioning nonchalantly for Natsumi to lead the way. She stayed close to the wall as she followed her out into the passageway.

Wardroom

"Thank you, Citrine," Hanako responded to the young Nekovalkyrja medic. "Your assistance has been invaluable. The Firebird has followed along and we can have a shuttle sent for you after dinner. Hopefully I will be able to find a medic of my own soon, unless of course you would like me to arrange it so you stay aboard via transfer."

Hanako gave a smile to Sune as he sat next to her, and reached over with one hand to give his a squeeze. "It sounded rough down there," she commented. "I want to talk about it."

Lounge Area

"Conrad Hightower, eh? Good to meet you. Six-Four Tango X-ray. If you can get me a shower kit that would be awesome. I probably look like a caveman with this six months of ungroomed beard on my face," Six-Four laughed. "But I used to be in the Army, too! After I got out around YE 28 I pulled security on cargo ships until I got betrayed and ended up in pirate hands and ended up as a piece of inventory in some bill of sale. They stuck me on the planet but I woke up and went into survivalist mode."

Medical Bay

Egil purposefully ignored the talk about the shuttle. Sienna looked occupied enough with her new look and surroundings and Conrad already had to worry about his own recovery. He´d probably hear about it during the debriefing, but he´d be glad if he could keep any awkward situations away until then. Right now he was more concerned with getting some dinner.

“Come on let’s get going already. I’m hungry and I’m sure the captain is waiting on all of us.” He spoke up towards Conrad, completely ignoring the other giant who was showing off his goods. It surprised him a little, coming out of the blue like that, but it seemed moving around the ship naked, or half-naked for that matter, was more or less a regular thing today. He decided to let the two ID-SOL buddies take care of their business on their own and left their company when they passed the wardroom.

Wardroom

When he entered the wardroom he was pleasantly surprised to see dinner was self-service just like breakfast. He kind of liked it that way. Take a little of everything or just the things you liked. He was rather pleased with what he was seeing. Chicken, beef, some vegetables and beans along with a few choices in drinks. He greeted those already present with a bow before proceeding to grab a plate and fill it with food. It felt like a while since he had a meal so he took a little more than usual. He ended up with a set of burritos filled with chicken and some lettuce and tomato. He scooped up a good amount of rice on the side, grabbed a glass full iced tea and took a seat at the table, taking care not to take any leg-space for his larger friend. He took one long last look at his food before digging in.

Wardroom

Citrine straightened up and for a moment her facial features went slack. Serve on the Eucharis... under the legendary Hanako.... but the Firebird... they need me... but a chance to be on this ship... her mind whirled for a moment.

"Ma'am, it would be an honor to serve aboard the Eucharis. I accept your offer." the blonde haird Neko responded. She did a second bow, turned and made her way to the buffet. She looked at the food and tried to decide.

Sune returned the squeeze that Hanako gave. "Rough would be a bit of an understatement. From the moment of our arrival we were the subject of scorn, distrust, hatred and the target of implied malice."

He took a sip of his tea as he watched Citrine process Hanako's offer, he was not at all surprised by her response. Citrine had been very curious about the Eucharis and Hanako, he only hoped that some time on board would help dispel some of her hero worship.

Citrine finally decided on a single beef, rice, and bean burrito. She also took a small glass of chocolate milk. She made her way back to the table and took a seat along the side of the table.

Natsumi guided Sienna out of the medical bay and forward to the vertical zero g passage that gave access to all of the ships decks.

"So we need to take the zero g passage. Hang on!" Natsumi said, taking Sienna's hand and leading her out into it without much more warning. She used her gravity manipulation to propel them Up one level and back into the gravity field.

"That wasn't so bad, was it?" She grinned and accessed the hatch for her and Bors shared cabin.

"Okay, I don't have too much in the way of civilian clothes but I should have something that will work for you" Natsumi said as she opened her locker and started taking clothes out. She layed out a long black skirt, short plaid skirt, two v neck tops, one blue one green and a grey sweater anda pair of sandles.

"Pick whatever you like" Natsumi said and smiled. "You can borrow what you like until your clothes are returned" she said, then started putting on a fresh set of undergarments and a clean Type 35 uniform.

Wardroom

"Hey Takeyu, err...Taii," Ramiro said as he looked up at his old friend. "Sorry, sometimes I forget. This ship is starting to seem like a capitol ship with so many Field Officers walking around," he joked. Taking a bite from his meant burritos he looked back up at Takeyu.

"Grab some food and come pop a squat sir!"

Wardroom

"I am pleased to hear that you would like to transfer to the Eucharis, Citrine. Your medical training will certainly be advantageous out here on the frontiers," Hanako told Citrine, giving Sune a questioning look as Citrine wandered off to get food.

Once everyone had a chance to eat, Hanako started the debriefing. A volumetric screen appeared behind her.

• After-Action Review
  • What was the plan?
  • What actually happened? (Be objective)
  • What do we do right?
  • What do we need to improve?

"I want to start off by congratulating our newest new members, Mashiro-Heu and Hightower-Hei, for surviving their first mission. Now on to the briefing. We should start with the way team to HX-21. The plan was to investigate the habitable planet in that system for anything notable. Nayacesen-Taii led the team, with Victory piloting and Misato providing security. Tell us what happened."

Wardroom

Takeyu stood there, listening, waiting, when he heard about the planet they were on he let out a mental sigh and thought for a moment on what to say precisely.

"The plan, originally, was to investigate the planet and to train Misato in commanding and to help her improve... of course, while we 'did' do that, the mission went a bit further than that."

"Upon arrival at HX-21, I gave the order to Victory to do a scan of the planets surface. The intention was to search for any possible life, such as perhaps refugee camps or even a pirate base. Instead, Victory picked up a faint nep transmission so we moved in to investigate."

"Once she brought us into visual range, we saw that the transmission was coming from a Lorath ship, despite it being Nepleslian in origin. We decided to investigate, and had Victory land some distance from the ship just in case there were any lorath nearby, didn't want them to be tipped off and alerted."

"Upon touch down, Misato and myself exited the shuttle and Victory took the shuttle back up to serve as a lookout. We made our way carefully through a forest, deploying our drones along the way and sending them ahead for recon. Unfortunantly, our drones ran into a problem when a few were destroyed by a mine field, presumably set up by the crew of the ship. We continued forward more cautiously until one of Misato's drones was destroyed as it was moving through the forest, unlike the first one which had been destroyed as it exited the forest this one was destroyed 'in' the forest."

"However, the drones destruction wasn't in vain because it was able to give us a visual of a possible threat. When I saw this, I moved forward a little bit with Misato covering me. Victory had reported that she was picking up hundreds of metallic objects near the ship--mines."

"Once my team got closer to the unknown, he spoke up and I choose to have Misato go into active camo. Given how jittery the man did appear, based off how he sounded, but also because I didn't want to reveal how many of us there actually were."

"It turned out the man who had attacked our drone was a Nepleslian, after a little bit of talking, he stood down and we were able to talk to him a bit more to see what had happened. He lead Misato and myself to the ship, presumably he wasn't even remotely aware that Misato was there."

Takeyu stopped for a moment to take in a breath. "Once Victory landed, we took an inventory of the items there and found out an Orchesstian was in cryo, amongst other things. We also found out that the Nep had buried a dead NAM Employee. I choose, although this might not have been the correct action, to have this man dug up and wrapped up so that he may be returned to his people and possibly to give his family closer on his death."

"Once we had loaded the shuttle with several items, including the ID-Sol and the body, along with two cryopods and a frozen head we made our way home."

"Thinking on it, I feel that this mission went almost perfectly. We didn't recover the ship, although I would've wanted to in order to tag its navigation database to possibly find other areas where the pirates had been prowling."

Wardroom

Mitsuko enjoyed her meal, quietly chatting with Misato while they ate. She listened, quite interested in all of the details of her roommate's mission. Afterwards she waited quietly, curious about any potential followup they would be doing. Takeyu had made a good point about the pirates and the ship's data, although she was more concerned about the scattered cargo and the Lorath ship itself.

Wardroom

"Does anyone else have anything to add regarding HX-21?" Hanako asked.

"Thanks for the ride off the planet," X-Ray chipped in from the stairs, still shirtless while he waited on Conrad to find him some civilian clothes. "Oh, and the subspace transceiver I used to send the signal was part of the debris, not the Lorath ship. And you forgot to mention the Helashio."

"Thank you," Hanako replied. "If there is nothing else, I would like to move on to discussing HX-24. The mission was to spread goodwill by sharing supplies with the frontier colony under the pretense of investigating the colony to see if Mishhuvurthyar military forces were present. Sune can start but I want everyone to participate in the discussion about what happened."

Wardroom

Sune listened to Hanako's description of the mission, it was correct if you took into account the changes that happened during the initial mission.

He took a drink from his iced tea, then put the glass back onto the table.

"Our primary mission was to determine the veracity of Grullyvushhgari claim that Urtullan was a civilian settlement.

The Away team was restricted to not using power armors because of concerns that would be too militant of a stance.

The settlement does not appear to be a new construction, and is definitely not of NMX design. Most likely Grullyvushhgari and the others are in some pre-existing settlement that they have adapted to their needs. There were old marking on some of the surfaces when we entered, but there was no time to analyze them.

As to the primary objective, we can safely say that Urtullan is a civilian settlement. Although conditions there are far from civil. This is because it does not appear to be under the direct control of the Mishhu military. However, Grullyvushhgari has set himself up as a despot leader. People with power, position, money, make the rules. This became clear when our party was nearly run down by a group of young noblemen.

When one of our party members made comments about the nature of their character, one took offense and placed a bounty on two of party members.

According to our original guide, life in the settlement is a care of be productive or cast out to the surface. Which is a death sentence given the nature of the atmosphere. However, death is apparently not a release for them. Grullyvushhgari apparently has access to NMX parasites, and the dead are brought back to work. Gravedigger had mentioned that Grullyvushhgari has some sort of projects going on, but his loyalty changed before we could learn the nature of them.

He later made several attempts to fulfill his contract with the young nobleman. This accounts for the condition of our team members when we returned.

As for the secondary objective, the distribution of goods to spread goodwill. I do not believe such would be possible. Given that the privileged get the best and most, all such efforts would do would be to improve their lives. It is doubtful that the average citizen would reap any benefit from such attempts.

As far as the primary objective. We did succeed in that. As for the additional objective, circumstances prevented us from implementing anything. But my analysis is that trying to undermine the government by gaining the will of the people. It is a doomed plan because those in power control the forces with weapons and probably the infrastructure for life.

We also did see evidence of cooperation. There was a Mishhu who was working in the Clinic that Sienna lead us to after the first attack by Gravedigger. While the conditions were primitive, the Mishhu was efficient and thorough.

We did acquire a source of more detailed information, in that we were assisted by a member of Urtullan. I recommend that we see what other information about life down there she can offer.

As for what could we have done better, taking heavier weapons might have helped. But I remain unconvinced. I am reasonably sure such items would have been confiscated as a condition of entry.

AMES were needed due to the poisonous atmosphere, we had no other form of protection except for power armor, nor did we have any filter masks to deal with the air. As for the second condition, I have submitted a request to acquire masks for future use.

If we are to go into another situation like that I would recommend that we acquire some other sort of protective gear. Perhaps some of the Junsa armor, which while not as powerful as a Mindy, would provide team members with a better survival rate.

As for the assassin Gravedigger who went from being our guide to our would be killer. My team members reported that they killed him during the rescue attempt of Bors. If by some strange twist of fortune he should have survived their efforts. He would do well, to stay far away from us.

Because personally, if I see him again out here in the wild. I will kill him, dismember his body, and ship his torso, limbs and head back to Nepleslia in separate boxes, so they can identify him and remove him from whatever criminal watch list they have." He said.

Wardroom

"Thank you Sune," said Hanako. "I want to clarify some things. The reason we did not use power armor or heavy weapons is because we were trying to make a good impression to Grullyvushhgari and the local populace. Grullyvushhgari was very opposed to having the Star Army on his planet in the first place and I was hoping to give him a better opinion of us by the end of this. And there seems to have been some confusion over the mission of objectives," she explained. "In any case, I don't think we were able to build any bridges of friendship. If anyone else wants to recount what happened, I would appreciate that. I would also like to hear about what the team did well and what could have been done better. Also, I would like to know more about the people living on Urtullan and the technical department's plans for repairing the damaged shuttle."

Ward Room

''X-Ray. Catch.''

Conrad threw X-ray a black short sleeve T-shirt, jeans with belt and a small bag which was apparently some sort of hastily assembled shower kit shower kit. Truthfully, he would almost lie down in the hammock and call it a day, but he wanted to keep walking to restore his legs, and he was very hungry.

As he entered the Wardroom, he saw the screen. Fancy words. A public debrief. Great. Conrad moved to prepare his dinner, folding multiple burrito layers unto each other, creating a monster of meat and vegetables. Hunger was not the proper word to describe Conrad's condition. He sat down at the far end of the table, listening to what happened on HX-21. Every now and again he looked at Egil. Conrad wondered if he was rather calm at all this, and how he was able to if he was.

After the HX-21 recant, it was their turn. Sune described the events quickly, but thoroughly. It was as good a tale as any, but it did not calm Conrad. Not at all did it help him find any peace with what happened. As he munched down his food, he heard the ship captain wanted to hear more from other people. Great. Just when he knew he wouldn't be able to stay completely reasonable. Well, he just had to bite the bullet and try. As his mouth was now as devoid of food as his plate, he tried the best he could.

''Shosho, if I may. I have nothing to add to the story of the Chusa. There's nothing of importance to add on my side, unless there's a need to describe how it feels to be run over by giant lizards. We were outnumbered in some terms, outgunned in even more terms. But there's one thing I wish to add. There's no reason to congratulate me for sitting here and breathing. My faceplate was shattered in severe gunfire. More teammates were hurt by the same gunner.''

Conrad took a sip of his iced tea and continued, his eyes fixed on the Shosho. His face was a complicated mix of aloofness mixed with determined eyes.

''Had it not been for our team's tenacity, you would have had a dead crew member. As far as I know, I'm the one who should thank people in particular. Sune-Chusa for his medical aid in the field, Egil for carrying me to the damn shuttle and disposing of that gruesome creature that tried to take over, and last but not least Sienna for providing me a makeshift rebreather. The squad did his best, that's the thing that went right. Had she and all the others not been there, I would have been stranded, and most probably following, dead.''

Conrad let the last word resound before he continued.

''The planet's inhabitants are just that and beyond. If they had approached us as boldly as Sienna, they would probably end up on top, with a parasite in their back. Used for whatever the damn squid has in mind. That one Mishhu we never met. We never met any friendlyness, 'cept for the earlier mentioned 'saving grace' Sienna. And the clinic. There is no saving such people with that much armed hostility up top that could only be replied to with small peashooters and nothing for our own safety. Unless you wanted anyone to die defenceless on that hunk of sand and madness, this was all we could do.''

Just that moment when he stopped talking, he noticed he had slowly stood up as he talked, his hands spread on the table. Realizing his risen posture, he looked round slowly, and sat back down again. His tone decreased to more humble levels as he finished his talk.

''I'll repair the shuttle if you wish, Shosho. Gladly, even. But I don't think I'll ever wish to adhere to some misplaced sense of exploration ever again. Unarmed, unprotected. Next time I might not be so lucky, and lose more then proper leg function. I fully understand the Misshu did not want us to carry guns, but why didn't you force it? Had they not allowed us, they'd be hostile to begin with. We would've known that much, and could have prepared accordingly.''

Natsumi was happy to be back in a fresh clean uniform once more. Once changed and situated she had waited for Sienna to choose and change into more comfortable clothing before leading her to the lounge, where they caught the first hints of the yummy scent of dinner, and up into the wardroom.

"Have whatever you like to eat!" Natsumi said with a big smile. "There's plenty of food and it's all yummy" she said.

Natsumi was so hungry and the food was so intoxicating. She quickly gathered herself a big plate with a bit of everything and a tall glass of chocolate milk before settling herself into an available chair and settled down to eat quietly and enjoy the tasty meal while the others talked over the mission.

When Conrad concluded, Natsumi spoke up. "The conditions on the planet and in the city were horrible. I think we were lucky to get out of there with everyone alive" she said. "The bounty hunter we had to deal with was incredibly resourceful and and persistent, if it had not been for Sienna here and the doctors at the clinic things would have been really bad" she said. "I think having power armor as a backup on the shuttle might have been helpful once we were able to get back to it" she shrugged. There really was not much more she could say that had not already been said.

Zero-G Passageway

It was fairly impressive to her that she'd been able to adjust so easily to standard gravity onboard the Eucharis after spending over four years on HX-24 I's weak pull. The sort of life Sienna was living, as well as the preparations she'd been making for the first opportunity to escape for so long she'd forgotten when she actually began, didn't allow her physical strength, stamina, or flexibility to falter too much. It was still a little awkward, as she was having to move against much greater resistance, but it felt refreshing in a way. She hadn't been in a standard-G environment since she was little. She'd heard most humans back on Urtullan, fringe traders mostly, complaining about how cumbersome it was to visit worlds with higher gravity after living in low-G areas for a long time, but she felt much more at home in it.

When Natsumi had mentioned the "zero-G passageway," she had figured it was some sort of euphemism. She didn't think that so soon after she'd been tossed from one-half G to full-G that she'd then have to navigate weightlessness. And she certainly didn't expect to be yanked into it before she so much as had a moment to prepare herself.

Sienna was normally very protective of her personal space. She didn't appreciate being touched or approached without permission. But when Natsumi grabbed her by the hand, she didn't even have enough time to realize it before she was pulled out into a great, vertical tube with sleek walls and equidistant aperatures, like an elevator shaft with no elevator. Where normally she would have been obviously irritated by the violation of her boundaries, her involuntary reaction was to grip Natsumi's hand back so tightly she felt like she might crush something. She felt like her insides were bumping into one another as their weight lifted off of their normal resting places within her torso, and she kicked her legs in surprise, resisting the urge to yelp. If she kept being exposed to sudden gravity changes at this rate, she expected to be a puddle of something by the end of the week.

The ride was brief, only one level, but once her feet were on the ground again and her hair and stomach fallen back where they belonged, she felt strangely exhilarated, momentarily forgetting how silly she felt in the skin-tight bodysuit. "Damn," she grinned, almost a little short of breath from excitement. "That's a helluva way to get from level to level..."

Natsumi's Cabin

Sienna eyed the selection of clothing that the white-haired Neko had laid out for her. As comfortable as if they'd known each other their whole lives, Natsumi shed her towel and began to dress herself, leaving Sienna to make her selection. Sienna blushed slightly and cleared her throat as she looked away. There didn't seem to be any sort of modesty aboard this ship, that was for sure. Focusing on the garments laid out before her, her mind wandered.

Natsumi baffled her. Twice in Urtullan, the Neko had pointed a weapon at her out of fear or suspicion. Now here they were, not even a full day later, and she was sharing her clothes and treating her like her best friend. It wasn't that she didn't appreciate it at the moment, of course, it just didn't make any sense to her. She had a sneaking suspicion that the android-clone was working some con angle that Sienna had never seen before, but even if it were true, she couldn't figure out what the Neko would possibly want from her. Nobody was that nice to someone else without an ulterior motive, but there wasn't any such motive that Sienna could think of. It didn't make any sense.

She shook her head, once again there were few options available to her, and she didn't see any immediate actual threat. They were just clothes; hardly a bargaining chip, and there wasn't anything that Natsumi would likely gain from her trust and friendship in the foreseeable future. Looking over the selection, she placed her hands on her hips. Natsumi was quite a bit shorter than she was, so any skirt that was clearly cut short for her would be hardly a skirt at all on Sienna; she eliminated the plaid one. A significant number of the crew had already gotten more of a look at her figure that she didn't feel inclined to treat them further with any amount of cleavage, so the v-necks were out, even if she wasn't quite as curvaceously built as their owner. And there was only one pair of shoes. That was easy.

She unzipped the front of her bodysuit and began the laborious process of stripping it off, which proved almost as difficult as getting it on.

Wardroom

The long black skirt she wore was probably floor-length for Natsumi, Sienna surmised, but it only came down a few inches above the ankle on her. She'd never worn any sort of dress before, and she failed to see the point. It was restrictive, it could be pulled or blown up, and it made running at any respectable speed practically impossible. The gray sweater was utilitarian enough; it was still slightly chilly in here, and the fabric was comfortable, even if it did hug her a little more tightly than she would have preferred. And the sandals offered absolutely no protection from anything. Toes exposed to sharp corners and heavy objects dropped, and straps that would easily rub blisters given enough time, they didn't seem at all like a practical form of footwear for a soldier.

Still, Sienna walked into the wardroom just behind Natsumi with her shoulders back and looking a little prouder now, thanks to what she'd seen in the mirror just before they'd left her cabin. Even though she didn't understand the "form-over-function" mentality of a skirt, she'd certainly liked how she looked, strangely enough. She even had spent a few minutes teasing her hair to enhance her appearance. It was girly, sure, but not so much that it made her want to gag. It was a much more muted kind of girly. Casually elegant, even, and tastefully feminine, framing her figure beautifully without bluntly rubbing the shape and details of her posterior and bosom in everyone's face. She never thought she'd be pleased by it, but it made her feel good to be able to dress like a woman one time in her life rather than a greasy mechanic-slave. She was impressed that she cleaned up that good. And she definitely felt like strutting a little bit.

When the smell from the wardroom finally hit her fully, her eyes got wide and her mouth almost started to drip saliva. She'd never smelled anything so intoxicating as whatever was being served there. She followed Natsumi to the buffet, watching how she prepared her dinner. It was unique, involving piling select ingredients in a round, flat piece of what looked like unleavened bread and wrapping it up into a cylinder. She surveyed the cornucopia. She had no idea what any of the stuff was, only that it wasn't synth paste or watery gruel, and judging from the smell, she didn't care one whit about what it was. Even if it was for some reason poisonous to her, if it tasted one quarter as good as it smelled, she would keel over in a death rattle with a smile on her face.

The rest of the crew were already sitting around the table, having a discussion of some kind. She wasn't listening to what they were saying, nor did she feel the slightest bit embarrassed about arriving late or any potential interruption. She was too concerned with the food before her. She took one of the flat slivers of bread, put it on a plate, and commenced to piling it up with a little of every single thing from the buffet one after the other. By the time she was done, she had a mountain on her plate, and there was no way she was going to be able to roll it up. She didn't even bother with something to drink. With a shrug, she opted just to eat it that way, and took her plate over to one of the booths in the corner. Whatever the crew was talking about didn't concern her in the least. It was their business, not hers. She was hungry, and for once in her life she was going to go to bed full.

Sune looked around, "I have to disagree. By coming down as we did without power armor and weapons of mass destruction. We showed Grullyvushhgari that we came down in peace. It was his people who caused the situation to degrade. The team did well dealing with a hostile with better weapons and armor. Their training and working together ensured we made it out alive. And the folks at the clinic saw that the Star Army was not the enemy.

At this point, I suggest we focus on what is coming up.

Do you have a system in mind for our next stop?"

Conrad's gaze shifted to Sune. What the man said was out of bounds in his mind. Changing a subject whilst the discussion had not even taken place. A lot went wrong, shifting focus was the last thing they needed to do now. He felt it was up to him to shift focus back, or any analysis of improvement would be lost and their actions in vain.

''Chusa. Switching the subject is not what I had in mind as a proper debrief. You're telling me the Misshu is taking us serious now? He's laughing his tentacled ass of. He made us look like kindergarten fools. ONE assassin. You are telling me Star Army training is sufficient for one squad to deal with one of those greedy bastards?''

Conrad had folded his fingers, as if he was about to pray. His gaze stayed on the Chusa. Conrad was not going to have all of this denied and swept under a metaphorical rug.

''I didn't see a damn thing ensured in there. If everything went as you calculated it, and was thus ensured, could you calculate it differently next time? Or explain me why I only saw several disasters unfolding? Might miss a few, but shall I start with the new scars Bors has? Natsumi's hip? Egil's neck? Did you forget your bullet-shaped piercings? My shattered back? I didn't even know how this charade of a peace-trip ended. Maybe I missed the rainbows and sunshine at the end.''

Conrad's voice seemed almost monotone as he summarized the events. He even remembered there were civilian casualties as well. Yet under the indifference he portrayed one could vaguely hear a rumble of anger. It was subtle, but it was there.

''I suggest we talk about defensive options. Whilst I get weapons were not a very bright option, I'd prefer some more protection then an AMES-suit when faced with enemy gunfire. I'm open for any other state of mind, but if we shift focus now without thinking of improvement or either gear or ourselves, all we did was for nothing. Bar one lucky hyacinth who got a ride for helping us out.''

Ramiro listened to the discussion around him, choosing not add because he was not directly involved. However his attention was suddenly sparked by the vulgarity that the new guy's language had taken. One could see Ramiro's jaw tighten and his expression anger. It was when he started sassing Sune that he had to close his eyes, breathing slowly and resisting the urge to punch the kid right in his disrespectful mouth.

Who in the hell does this punk think he is, talking to Sune like that?

"You listen to me boy and you listen good," Ramiro growled loudly at Conrad from across the table. "You shut that mouth of yours, right now! You're addressing your superior officer so you damn well better learn to mind your attitude and mind your language. A superior officer, might I add, with more military experience than you, more military training than you, and more military respect than you. Now you either learn your place or I will put you there. Do you understand me, Hei?"

Sune looked at Ramiro then slowly turned his gaze to Conrad. All emotion left his face. "I already had advised the Shosho of the events while we were on the planet. Here I gave a brief summary for the benefit of those not present."

Sune stood up slowly unholstered his Type 27 NSP and dropped it on the table. "The mission was to gather information, and we did. You got shot, all of us. Not the first time for me, and it surely will not be the last." he said.

Raising his voice, "Missions go bad, equipment fails. We adapt and persevere. We bleed, we fight back with whatever we have on hand. Everyone of the senior crew has given their pound of flesh, some have died. "

Sune picked up the gun, "GET OVER IT. YOU ARE A SOLDIER IN OUR ARMY! ACT LIKE IT, ADDRESS ME IN SUCH A MANNER AGAIN.... YOU WILL FIND YOURSELF AT THE END OF THIS WEAPON AND GOING TO THE CELLS. I AM NOT HERE TO MAKE FRIENDS OR CODDLE A SOLDIER WHOSE PRIDE GOT HURT. SO GET A HOLD OF YOUR EMOTIONS."

Sune sat and put the pistol in his holster.

Wardroom

"Sune!" Admiral Hanako raised her voice. "I want you to set an example for civility. I know you have been under a lot of stress but so has Conrad. While his remarks were not presented in the correct way, he is right that we need to learn from this. That is what this debriefing is all about."

Hanako stood up to talk to the group. "I will be frank with you. Although it was riskier to send the team down without power armor, I wanted to see how the team would deal with problems in a non-violent way using wits. The Star Army is not a band of thugs only capable of using force. You know the Star Army's motto: Loyalty, Strength, Wisdom. Loyalty is about trust and obeying your superiors. Strength is about being the most capable. Wisdom is knowing when to use that strength and when to use guile! When I hear about the bounty I think the obvious solution would be to appeal to the nobles whose sons placed the bounty. Although these brash young princes did not, anyone with sense would see the danger and stupidity of putting a bounty on soldiers of Yamatai. We were in a place that was not ours to control, as guests...and we started a fight; it was not on purpose, but we did. We are lucky we did not kill any innocent civilians or we might be on the news right now."

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back