• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Aeon [Mission 4.0] - A Quest into the Dark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engineering
Hisa was working feverishly in the Engineering main section. She had already brought the Aeon's primary reactor online. She flipped the release on the external power connector. Once she ensured that the internal power was stable, she sent her status to the bridge and routed power to propulsion.

Bridge

On the main screen Eternity provided status for Katae.
Automated systems diagnostic complete.
Primary power online.
External power disconnected.

Katae signaled the Ikoi repair bay their readiness, and maneuvered the Aeon out of the bay. Once clear of the starbase she flew the ship onto the departure angle. The other ships of the squadron fell into formation behind them.

Katae performed another check of the navigational data, then engaged the hyperdrive. Around the Aeon and the other ships teal spheres formed around the ship taking them to their destination.

Arkase was just about to strip and get into his Mindy when the Hei spoke up again. Her defiant little statement was invitation enough to slap her, but after the previous conversation it clearly bordered on insubordination. Arkase couldn't afford insubordination on his team.

He pivoted on what would have been his final step to his awaiting PA, and strode back to the young Neko.

"You're questioning me now." He said. Then he slapped her across the face.

"I will not tolerate insubordination. Is that clear, Arai Saki-Hei? You may simply say 'Yessir' or 'Nosir'."

Force of slap made Saki turn her face to the side. Her cheek was bright red from getting hit. At firs she did not looked back. Not until Oshiro started speeking againg. "Yessir!" She answered immediatly and bowed to him.

She then went to the nears free rack to get into her Mindy. She was mainly thinking about getting under lead of prickly arrogant bastard adn she was very careful not to transfer any of her thoughs telepahicaly. Of course she knew that she was the one who was right but it did not matter since he was higher officer. And it seemed to her that he thinks he own the team. He did not even let anything about gear into disscussion. She just hoped that it won't come back to him and bite him in the arse. Since that could cost someone his life.

Kim took a moment to respond to Kame's hug. She had seen the engineer on several occasions, but had not really spent any time with her. Hence she was confused by the emotional display.

"Thank you O'Kutsuu-Heisho for your concern, but as you can see. I am fine. I am waiting for an opportunity to speak with Chui about the circumstances." she replied

Yoshiro nodded and walked over to grab the first of his equipment, which was a Mindy PA and looked it over. He stripped down to his shorts and then removed the helmet to open up the armor and then climbed in. After he did so he then started the process to outfit his Mindy. He typed in his order for the equipment that he would need. The first thing that was attached was the Barrier Shield module on the dorsal hard point. Then it was time for the 50mm Gauss cannon and the Missile pod on the shoulders.

Leg Capacitors came next for the leg hardpoints and then he picked out a Aether beam saber-rifle. He removed the sleeping bag and rations and set them aside. He then climbed out of his armor and then put his clothes back on. He saw earlirer what had happened with Saki and the Nito Hei so he decided to wait to go to the medbay to get the gear that he needed in case she needed a friendly ear to listen.

Once more into the breach. Takamori spoke up, hoping the Nito Hei was done. "Sir, the Captain told me to speak to you about preparing non-standard demolitions. She said you'd know what we'd need beyond the regular stuff."

Kyoka followed the instructions and gathered the various weaponry as required, inconspicuously listening in on the rather volatile conversation between her superior and one of the newbies. Oh no. She's making him mad. That's not something. . .

This train thought, interrupted by the slap, instantly ceased. The Neko watched in shock for a moment before hurriedly going about her business and finishing up with the equipping job, then zoomed out as fast she could. As Kyoka made her way to the med-bay, a message was sent to Saki privately, saying,

Code:
Saki-Hei
Arkase may be a bit of a hothead, but he generally knows what he is doing. For your sake, please don't question him publically again. I don't want to see this team collapse because we can't all get along.
Tsubei-Heisho

Saki was furious inside. She was preparing her stupid Mindy, arming it with stupid aether beam saber rifle and other stupid things. They were stupid mostly just because Arkase chose them for everyone. Saki wished so much to just take Ingtris Flametrower but she would certainly could not speak to Arkase anymore. Now even if she said something sensible (not that she did not earlier) he would not listen to her. Pigheaded bastard.

All these things came through her mind when message arrived. It was from her new roomie, one she did not even had time to talk to. Saki read and had few of her own thoughts about it. But than she just replied.
Code:
Yes ma'am,
I will certainly be careful to not think too much for myself anymore. That way I will probably be able to 'get along' with Oshiro-juni.
Arai Saki-hei.
Sarcasm must have oozed from the message and Saki realized how stupid it was. She did not know Arkase at all and right now she was getting judgemental again like she was with Yoshiro. She quickly sent another message.

Code:
I am sorry, 
my emotions got better of me. I will be careful next time and don't question our leader. At least not until I actually get more experience and get to know him. Sorry for my outburst in first message.
Arai-hei.

She just then realized that Tsubei called her by her first name immediaetly. Interesting.

Taka nodded and went to prepare the standard stuff. No need for demolitions? How could such a thing exist in a situation where they were expecting hard fighting? Things that explode were ultimately more destructive because they were harmed enemies with a kill radius. And the concussive force of the explosive would usually stun whoever survived.

He passed an angry Saki. "Got pretty heated back there. For what it's worth, I think he went overboard. Gotta run, explosive ordnance packages don't put themselves together!"

Takamori rifled through the bins of explosives. Huh. That was not good. There were only two satchel charges. He would have to get more after this mission. Having only two satchel charges on hand was criminally low!

As he pulled out the blocks of plastic explosives, Takamori realized that the Juni had not actually specified any amount of explosives. He had just said three. But three what? Three half blocks? Three blocks? Three kilos worth? Three plastic explosive packages?

More is better, he decided and began putting together two different sized ordnance packages. The first was a larger, deadlier package of six blocks of explosives. Good enough to destroy most things without a care. The other two were more standard four block packages.

But five detonators for three packages? The chances of a misfire were minute. Even so, if they were operating on the doctrine that more was better, than the Juni was asking for the least. Takamori duplicated the three packages he had made and pulled eight remote detonators as well as three remote detonators. One of the four block packages had been stuffed with 35mm ammunition that Takamori had decided to make use of. It would transformed the package into an anti-personnel and anti-armour weapon. At worst, the bullets would at least annoy an armoured opponent. To be safe, he also pulled out a ten metre length of detcord.

Takamori carried his deadly creations over to an empty Mindy and began pulling out the rations and sleeping bag. In their place, he arranged all of his explosives neatly.

With that chore done, he marked the Mindy unit and left to get his mental back-up and medikit. As Takamori walked, he sent a message to his roommate,

To O'Kutsuu-heisho said:
Is Oshiro-Juni always cranky with new squad members? He was just tearing Arai-hei a new one for asking questions.

Saito-Hei

The 7th Squdron continued on its path to Siren with the task force from the 4SF on an intercepting flight path.

Bridge

Katae looked around the bridge as she monitored the progress of her squadron. Long range sensor scans were beginning to trouble her. Even at this range they should be able to pick up some sign of activity. Siren was according to last report a very busy star system. But there was nothing appearing on the sensors, no communications traffic, and very little ship traffic except for NMX signatures.

She picked up the intercom handset and dialed the ship wide channel. Attention all hands, we are going to Condition 2, Repeat going to Condition 2. Infantry team should be suited up in power armor and standing by in the Armor Bay.

Kim-Chui report to the bridge immediately. All section should report their readiness to the bridge."

She looked at the screen as the gunship started responding to her orders.

Saki finished preparing her Mindy and then walked to the infirmary to get medpack she needed. Along the way she saw Yoshiro and it seemed like he waited for her. Hello Tanaka-san, if you want to talke we should do it with telepathy rather. Right now it is safer I think." She said telepathicaly to Yosh. Also it was easier for her to hide her feeling over the though that during speech.

This mission will be dangerous. Station could be crawling with parasited civilian and parasites themselves. Not mentioning Mishus or even Ripper. Saki would rahter not face Mishu again and especially not in Mindy. She would like to take Daisy but that is not allowed since officer Baka had problem with somone acutally saying something he did not though of apparently. For empressess sake it was pretty obvious that Daisy would be better armour inside the station. It was tougher, her hand shiel and could still carry handheld weapons with enough power. Just the best armour there is. At least for Saki.

Saki quickly lookt at ships inventory with Eternities help. There were no ingtris flamers but there was PA flamer on ship. She swalloved her pride and composed a message to Arkase.

Code:
Sir I would like to apologize for my previous behaviour. It was not up to my to question you and your choices. Still I would like to ask you to allow me take Ke-M2-W2904 Flametrower into one of the APCs with us. I think it could prove useful should we encounter parasites or parasited people inside the station. 
I again apologize for my behaviour. 
Sincerly,
Arai Saki Santo-hei.

THen she took deep breath and sent the message to the officer. She hoped he won't eat her now or something. She then quickly grabbed the medpack and made a mental backup in one of the SPINE stations along the way back, hurrying to suit up and be in the armour-bay in time.

Kyoka had just finished making her backup and was just retrieving her med-pack when the call came.

"Oh n-no!" She stammered, completely missing the fact that there were others of her crewmates in the room at the time. "I gotta get to the bay!"

The Neko dashed out of there, med-pack in hand, and went straight for the PA bay. Once she arrived, Kyoka made one final check on her PA before suiting up. This was serious.

Sir I would like to apologize for my previous behaviour. It was not up to my to question you and your choices. Still I would like to ask you to allow me take Ke-M2-W2904 Flamethrower into one of the APCs with us. I think it could prove useful should we encounter parasites or parasited people inside the station.
I again apologize for my behaviour.
Sincerly,
Arai Saki Santo-hei.

Arkase considered the message as he came back from the Medbay. He hadn't gone in gunning for the Hei, and she had been insubordinate. But his physical disciplining of her had been -- not wrong. But it wasn't right either. Especially with everyone there to see. He couldn't apologize, but he could cut the girl some slack.

Of course, the Flamethrower was entirely redundant considering their Anti-Personnel Saber-Rifles and the forearm weapons of their Mindys, and the Nodal Support Drones they all carried. In all, the flamethrower would only have been useful for the close-in spray against unarmored targets. A given, since that was what it was for in the first place. He pondered accepting her request until he entered the PA Bay.

The sight of Takamori carrying so many explosives gave him an almost physical reaction. He let out a small "Hurk" and took a moment to catch his breath.

"SAI--" He cut himself off. He couldn't yell, yet. He took another deep breath. "Saito-Hei, could you kindly explain why you're carrying so many explosives? Three blocks and two satchels can't possibly be that big or heavy."

Arkase was suddenly struck by how bad a start he was getting off of these new infantrymen. Arkase almost sent the red light as to the team's readiness when he realized that he couldn't. There wasn't any time.

"You know what? Can it. Saito-Hei, you will drop everything except for three blocks of explosives and three detonators. I don't want any argument." He spoke now to the entire team. "We are now at Condition 2. You will be ready for combat. You will load ALL of the Taisa's remote weapons -- the AGL's -- onto the APC. You have THIRTY SECONDS. MOVE NOW."

Then, for his messages.

Arkase to Bridge said:
Ready.

-Oshiro Santô Juni

Arkase to Saki said:
I've been in combat before, and you should trust me and my command. That's why I'm a Juni. You may take a flamethrower, so long as you know that you'll have to carry it with you somehow -- I want your Saber-Rifle ready, as it WILL be your main armament. In all, it's a much better weapon for close-quarters combat and for long-range combat. If you have the opportunity to use it in the halls without danger to the team, good. Otherwise, keep it on your person and deactivated unless I say otherwise.

-Oshiro Santô Juni

All said and done, he got to work. Arkase went to the AGL's and started to help store them into the APC.

Taela moved to assist Arkase with the loading of the AGLs the moment the order was issued, considering she was already in the bay.

"Arkase-Juni. . ." She began as she took hold of one of the weapons, "This is going to be the most dangerous mission yet, isn't it? I can just sort of. . . feel the tension of the other officers. Not literally, 'cause that'd be something a psychic can do."

"I wouldn't worry, Kyoka-Heisho." Arkase told her. He then took the first AGL and stored it away in the APC. When he came back, he finished the thought. "The Aeon has a ways to go, and the Taisa herself is as sharp as they come. If things go sour, she'll get the ship back safely and you'll be waking up in a bed wondering when the next meal is -- just like Shina Kim-Heisho."

Saki did not send message at response. She just looked at Oshiro and bowed very deep acknowledging what he just sent. She then quickly run of and requested one flamethrower with enough extra ammo through the eternity. She picked it up at the armoury and ran back so she could load it up on APC. She was sure it will be useful so she quickly put it into APC and ran to help with AGLs.

Bridge
Katae watched as the forces under her command approached the periphery of the Dark. Star Army Intelligence said that the NMX had perverted some UOC technology to create a jamming system strong enough to cut off a star system, and cloak the installation.

She sent a message down to Arkase.
"Oshiro-Juni,
Have you decided who you are going to have pilot the GAPC down to the surface? We can spare Shina-Heisho if you don't have a better choice.

Be advised we are five minutes from the outer boundary of the Siren System."

-------------------------------------------------------
Engineering

Hisa was at the console in the main space of engineering, she had the ships compliment of spanner drones deployed where she thought they would best serve. Mura-San I could sure use you right now. Please watch your back Chan, and keep the Integrity flying. she thought to herself.

Spoilsport Takamori thought. The man certainly was not engendering any personal respect if all he could do was yell at the newly qualified infantrymen. Whatever, if three was all he wanted, then three was what he'd get.

Taka emptied the extra explosives, keeping only what the Juni wanted. Except, since his packages were all four or six block affairs, he held onto one of his four-block packages. Not enough time to separate out the explosives if the Juni wanted to stick to his thirty... twenty seconds.

In his power armour, Takamori hefted two more AGLs on the APC. He had already double-checked everything else on his way back from the Medbay.

Arkase to Bridge said:
Yes. If Shina-Heisho would take the wheel that would be wonderful.

"Alright. Pile into the APC now folks. We're all ready to go. Five minutes until Go-Time." Arkase told his team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back